Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 4 lug billet hub adapters?, vented rotors
Mueller
post Nov 17 2014, 02:32 PM
Post #41

914 Freak!

Group: Members
Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

QUOTE(69telecaster @ Nov 17 2014, 10:28 AM) *

I have a machine shop, and we're ALWAYS looking for stuff to do. I reverse-engineered a set of hubs for my old Comet, to convert the square-flange 4-lug to round flange 5-lug...but the flange could be drilled for anything. Mine were made of steel with the separate flange welded on and finish machined. I saw photos of Brad Roberts' AL hubs on the other 914 forum some years ago. Drawings would make it real easy to estimate costs, and I'd love to have a look.

cm

I'll try and look for them tonight...

I also want to say there was an issue with them being used on the very early struts and ideally one would want 71 and newer struts? Anyone remember that or know if there is a difference in front strut assemblies?

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
zach914v8
post Nov 17 2014, 05:37 PM
Post #42

Member No.: 12,426
Region Association: Southwest Region

I hope you find them. This could be awesome! I called my machinist today, he is ready to go.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Nov 17 2014, 06:17 PM
Post #43

914 Freak!

QUOTE(zach914v8 @ Nov 17 2014, 03:37 PM) *

I hope you find them. This could be awesome! I called my machinist today, he is ready to go.

I wouldn't trust the drawings 100%....I know I had to do 1 or 2 redlines at the shop when I did a 1st article inspection, I remember being off about .100" for a bearing race. (rotor not centered in the caliper?) luckily I screwed up by have too much material in that direction.

I might have fixed them, I might not have.
+Quote Post
zach914v8
post Nov 17 2014, 06:28 PM
Post #44

QUOTE(Mueller @ Nov 17 2014, 06:17 PM) *

I wouldn't trust the drawings 100%....I know I had to do 1 or 2 redlines at the shop when I did a 1st article inspection, I remember being off about .100" for a bearing race. (rotor not centered in the caliper?) luckily I screwed up by have too much material in that direction.

thats cool, as long as the incorrect plans still leave enough metal to be fixed its all good.
+Quote Post
oldschool
post Nov 17 2014, 08:49 PM
Post #45

Advanced Member

Member No.: 9,705
Region Association: Southern California

talk with the guys from wilwood today at Jay leno's garage, I ask them if they make stuff for 914 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) NOPE (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)
+Quote Post
914Mike
post Nov 17 2014, 09:48 PM
Post #46

Member No.: 198

QUOTE(Mueller @ Nov 17 2014, 05:17 PM) *

Hey Mike, long time.

I remember waiting while mine was recut for the seal fit, something about too tight. Then I got the Rabbit seal from Bugformance, and had to glue it in... (I think there might be a different seal than I got that fits better.)

I seem to remember a bit of offset on the wheel mounting surface, like 5mm or so narrower than stock. (Checked PM's, I sent that info in 2005!)

If you need to measure anything, I can pull one off.
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Nov 17 2014, 09:49 PM
Post #47

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

I see that site also has 5 lug variety ! Vented . So would those work with stock calipers? I did the 5 lug conversion using the 4 lug drilled to 5 by Eric shea. So if I wanted to step up to have vented rotors these would work on my front with current set up?- I'm referring to the German ones (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Nov 17 2014, 10:08 PM
Post #48

914 Freak!

Hey Mike, long time.

I remember mine had to be recut for the seal, something about too tight. Then I got the Rabbit seal from Bugformance, and had to glue it in... (I think there might be a different seal than I got that fits better.)

I seem to remember a bit of offset on the wheel mounting surface, like 5mm or so wider than stock. Might be for brake clearance?

Hey Mike...wow, yep long time for sure.

No luck on the drawing , at least no electronic copy....too many computers and hard drives ago...I know there is a hard copy floating around my house someplace since I remember seeing the 11*17 print sometime last year while cleaning my garage, I wouldn't think that I'd have thrown it away.

+Quote Post
914Mike
post Nov 17 2014, 10:23 PM
Post #49

Member No.: 198

QUOTE(Mueller @ Nov 17 2014, 09:08 PM) *

Hey Mike, long time.

I remember mine had to be recut for the seal, something about too tight. Then I got the Rabbit seal from Bugformance, and had to glue it in... (I think there might be a different seal than I got that fits better.)

I seem to remember a bit of offset on the wheel mounting surface, like 5mm or so wider than stock. Might be for brake clearance?

Hey Mike...wow, yep long time for sure.

No luck on the drawing , at least no electronic copy....too many computers and hard drives ago...I know there is a hard copy floating around my house someplace since I remember seeing the 11*17 print sometime last year while cleaning my garage, I wouldn't think that I'd have thrown it away.

It may be 11" X 17", but it's only a few mils thick. Could be anywhere...

Just edited my post above, after checking the PM's, It was actually 4-5 mm narrow, I had to add spacers to keep the stock tires from rubbing the inside.

I think the rim centering snout would need to grow also. Then you'd have to cut a slot to be able to fit the allen key into the wheel bearing lock bolt, etc.

Spacer is much easier...
+Quote Post
bdstone914
post Nov 17 2014, 10:42 PM
Post #50

bdstone914

Member No.: 1,319

QUOTE(Philip W. @ Nov 17 2014, 09:49 PM) *

I see that site also has 5 lug variety ! Vented . So would those work with stock calipers? I did the 5 lug conversion using the 4 lug drilled to 5 by Eric shea. So if I wanted to step up to have vented rotors these would work on my front with current set up?- I'm referring to the German ones (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Not with stock calpiers. 911 M calipers or Alfa calipers would work. Or a 1978 BMW 320 I caliper. Might need the pad machined. They used vented rotors for 1 year only.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Nov 17 2014, 11:38 PM
Post #51

914 Freak!

QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Nov 17 2014, 08:42 PM) *

QUOTE(Philip W. @ Nov 17 2014, 09:49 PM) *

Not with stock calpiers. 911 M calipers or Alfa calipers would work. Or a 1978 BMW 320 I caliper. Might need the pad machined. They used vented rotors for 1 year only.

Man I am rusty with this stuff these days....what rotors worked with the vented and non-vented Volvo 240 calipers?
+Quote Post
Starlack
post Nov 18 2014, 05:49 AM
Post #52

Member No.: 13,978

QUOTE(Philip W. @ Nov 17 2014, 07:49 PM) *

Yes you can installed this brake vented discs on the 914er with 5Lug
Am I doing now. You see here. Kerscher Break disc 4 Lug with Brake Calipers from the 911 . The hole spacing by the Caliper is 76mm
On Thursday this Week build the parts in my 14er one then I know more.

Attached Image

All you need is the calipers from the 911 or BMW 320i

You understand me?
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Nov 18 2014, 07:06 AM
Post #53

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Starlack @ Nov 18 2014, 06:49 AM) *

QUOTE(Philip W. @ Nov 17 2014, 07:49 PM) *

Yes you can installed this brake vented discs on the 914er with 5Lug
Am I doing now. You see here. Kerscher Break disc 4 Lug with Brake Calipers from the 911 . The hole spacing by the Caliper is 76mm
On Thursday this Week build the parts in my 14er one then I know more.

Attached Image

All you need is the calipers from the 911 or BMW 320i

You understand me?

Yes, but 76mm is = to 2.995 or 3 inches which is the bolt spacing for a 914, a 911 is 3.5" so this should work for stock those in your picture look like stock callipers for 914 from Eric Shea of PMB performance ini Sandy, Utah correct?
-thanks for sharing the link and giving some great information from Germany!! also share some pictures when you get a chance as you are completing your project!

Phil Wagner
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Nov 18 2014, 07:07 AM
Post #54

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209

QUOTE(Starlack @ Nov 18 2014, 06:49 AM) *

You understand me?

mostly yes ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Starlack
post Nov 18 2014, 07:31 AM
Post #55

mostly yes ...

Ok the older calipers from the 911 also have a hole spacing of 76mm and therefore fit to the 914th
They are the same as the 914/6.

I will continue to report when I'm done with the conversion

usually is better than not at all .... I write as good as it gets
+Quote Post
zach914v8
post Nov 18 2014, 11:07 AM
Post #56

I emailed Kerscher and here is what I got in responce...

Hello Mr. Zach,

thanks for your mail.

Up to now we did never check those discs on a 914/4.
We did use only for VW Beetle.
We did sell the discs last week to a customer here in Germany
who did plan to install them in a 914/4.
Problem is discs do not fit with original 914 calipper. Our calipper
we use for Beetle brake does not fit for 914.

I have asked my customer here in Germany to give me some Feedback.
As soon as I have more informations I come back to you.

regards
Emmi

Kerscher Tuning GmbH
Eggenfeldener Str. 46a
D-84326 Falkenberg
Tel.++ 49 (0) 8727 96 88 0
Fax ++ 49 (0) 8727 96 88 29

E-Mail: E.Kerscher@Kerscher-Tuning.de
Internet: www.Kerscher.de

German Tuning Group
E-Mail: info.gtg@kerscher.de
Internet: www.germantuning.de

Now as far as the info I have gotten from the web my understanding is that the ghia/beetle spindle is shorter than that of the 914/4. Supposedly the 914 uses the same spindle size of a 412 vw. So the jury is still out weather or not these work for our cars.

So hopefully we can get something going with the billet hub. Plus I like the idea of being able to replace just a rotor and not the entire assembly.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Nov 18 2014, 11:29 AM
Post #57

914 Freak!

QUOTE(zach914v8 @ Nov 18 2014, 09:07 AM) *

Plus I like the idea of being able to replace just a rotor and not the entire assembly.

And the added benefit of that huge chunk of aluminum being a heat sink (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

If someone local had the parts to reverse engineer I'd gladly do this project again, but without having a 914 to use the stuff on I'm reluctant to spend any money for parts I don't have a use for (yet)

I might even have the material to do a prototype but I wouldn't do any production parts, that is a headache for someone else with more $$$ and time (a real shop, not a guy with CNC Bridgeport in his garage!)
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Nov 18 2014, 12:58 PM
Post #58

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

Mike,
Eventually, my car will be down at McMark's shop for the installation of the 915 transmission. They are building it right now. Once it is in the car, Mark is going to fabricate the cable shifter system.

You are welcome to reverse engineer from my 5 lug AL hubs. As I said, these were just drilled and tapped for studs and they loosen up unless the wheels are holding them in place. That is the only thing I would engineer out of them. I believe mine use 914-6 rotors and I know it uses Alpha Romeo GTV-6 Aluminum calipers... So I have a very significant unsprung weight reduction in the front.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
zach914v8
post Nov 18 2014, 01:07 PM
Post #59

Just thinking out loud here, but the stock hub is just a solid piece of metal right? why couldn't we cut the rotor section off and machine the back of the hub to accept 911 rotors? Is this possible, or am I completely out of wack here?
+Quote Post
Starlack
post Nov 18 2014, 02:44 PM
Post #60

The axle hub from the 914er can not be too short because the brake discs are from beetles and 411/412 is the same. But I'll see it on Thursday ..
+Quote Post

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 10:22 PM