Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 4 lug billet hub adapters?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
zach914v8
Some years ago I read that brad Roberts was building these hubs that would allow us 4 lug guys the chance to use vented rotors. Apparently for some reason they can't be found anywhere. I have invested $$$ in aftermarket wheels and want to stay with 4 lugs.

Does anyone here have any information about these hubs? Maybe drawings or something, so I can have a set machined.

Thanks
Zach
stugray
I was standing in my garage this evening looking at a stock front rotor next to a modern toyota vented disk.

I was wondering if there would be any way to reproduce the hub & hat (bell) in Aluminum, then bolt that to a wilwood vented disk "blank" then make all that fit in with a stock caliper.

IPB Image

a few loose screws
I remember coming across a thread about those hubs somewhere???? cant remember where though. But the poster said he had run them successfully, I recall that much. If someone could dig up a set and reproduce them, I'd be in for a set. If some enterprising individual could set them up with wilwood rotors and dynalite calipers that would bolt right on......well, I'd be all over that like stink on a monkey! The world needs a nice bolt on set up for the 914-4 strut. The 911 strut and brake conversion is too rich for me.
Mark Henry
The machining was expensive and there just wasn't a big enough profit margin/demand to keep them going...plus Brad became a tad of a fuch-up.
He is gone from the 914 scene...done.

Used if you can find it or step up to the plate and become the vendor. biggrin.gif
I bet Mike Mueller still has the files and would likely give them away.
zach914v8
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Nov 16 2014, 07:44 AM) *

The machining was expensive and there just wasn't a big enough profit margin/demand to keep them going...plus Brad became a tad of a fuch-up.

Used if you can find it or step up to the plate and become the vendor. biggrin.gif
I bet Mike Muller still has the files and would likely give them away.

I would do it. There are plenty of machine shops here in Houston. If we could get enought people interested, I'm sure we could get something going. I just need those drawings.
zach914v8
QUOTE(zach914v8 @ Nov 16 2014, 08:26 AM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Nov 16 2014, 07:44 AM) *

I bet Mike Muller still has the files and would likely give them away.

I would do it. There are plenty of machine shops here in Houston. If we could get enought people interested, I'm sure we could get something going. I just need those drawings.

I actually have the perfect guy in mind that could build these.
Mark Henry
Try to get a hold of Mike Mueller. He hasn't been around in a while, he's out of the 914 scene, but if he still has the files I'm sure he'll give them to you. He popped in to say hi last spring.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showuser=87
barefoot
there are sites that sell wheel spacer adapters from 4 bolt to various 5 bolt patterns, might be some vented rotors that will fit ?? Good hunting
Michael N
I did the 4 lug adapters on Kathy's LE back in 2009. Every time she drives the car she comments how she loves her brakes. 4 lug billet hubs with Eric's rebuilt restored Brembo aluminum calipers. This was money well spent.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

SirAndy
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Nov 16 2014, 06:39 AM) *
Try to get a hold of Mike Mueller. He hasn't been around in a while, he's out of the 914 scene, but if he still has the files I'm sure he'll give them to you. He popped in to say hi last spring.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showuser=87

agree.gif
Starlack

Hello and good evening.
Currently, I am going to rebuild my brake system vented to the inside
Matching brake discs is available here in Germany at company Kerscher ...

you looking here

http://www.kerscher-tuning.de/kaefer/detail.php?id=92
Mueller
I might still have the drawings around, I'll try and look in the next few days.

I have not spoken to Brad in about 3 years or so, no idea if cares if the drawing is released or not...all my current parts (2) I am making for Volvos I make the drawings available to the general public so I see no harm with these.

Wouldn't take too much work to get them drawn up again, I remember most of the details.

The 1st run was 7075, I really think 6061 would work just fine and save a good chunk of money on the raw billets.

I thought I heard something about Mark Hayes making them? markasap on here....

I've been out of the 914 stuff for ages, trying to get back into the game slowly....

zach914v8
Oh man Mike, I hope you still have the drawings. That would be awesome! I really want/need a set of these beauties on my car.
zach914v8
QUOTE(Starlack @ Nov 16 2014, 01:13 PM) *

Hello and good evening.

you looking here

This looks interesting also..... I just wish I could read the website. Im surprised I have not seen these before.
SirAndy
QUOTE(zach914v8 @ Nov 16 2014, 11:40 AM) *
This looks interesting also..... I just wish I could read the website. Im surprised I have not seen these before.

Just click on the English flag on the left side of the navigation. It'll switch the site language to English.
smile.gif
a few loose screws
Does any one recall what rotor bolted to these hubs? I wonder how much time and effort would go in to reverse engineering a front rotor in order to make a hub? Obviously thats what was done in the first place. I gave up on the 911 front strut conversion. I was all set to go with BMW 320 calipers and stock rotors, and then I find out about this possibility.... damn it! You guys are killing me.
Mueller
QUOTE(a few loose screws @ Nov 16 2014, 11:48 AM) *

Does any one recall what rotor bolted to these hubs? I wonder how much time and effort would go in to reverse engineering a front rotor in order to make a hub? Obviously thats what was done in the first place. I gave up on the 911 front strut conversion. I was all set to go with BMW 320 calipers and stock rotors, and then I find out about this possibility.... damn it! You guys are killing me.

911 rotor ... something easily available from Pelican or ?

I want to say early 70's for sure, possibly the 20mm thick rotors from the 80 year models as well.

zach914v8
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 16 2014, 01:47 PM) *

Just click on the English flag on the left side of the navigation. It'll switch the site language to English.
smile.gif

Dah.... I got, lol. But now I know why I have never seen them. They cost big money. Nearly $1200 for the fronts only. Not to mention I'm sure the shipping would be insane.
Mueller
QUOTE(zach914v8 @ Nov 16 2014, 12:03 PM) *

smile.gif

Dah.... I got, lol. But now I know why I have never seen them. They cost big money. Nearly $1200 for the fronts only. Not to mention I'm sure the shipping would be insane.

$188 US dollars each.... so less than $400 for the pair. (plus shipping of course)
zach914v8
QUOTE(Mueller @ Nov 16 2014, 02:25 PM) *

smile.gif

$188 US dollars each.... so less than $400 for the pair. (plus shipping of course)

Wow, I got lost on that website, I see now where I went wrong. Well hell, at that price I may go that direction. That's not bad. But I do still like the idea of replacing just the rotor instead of the whole assembly.

veltror
I have these on my Beetle cabrio

Starlack

Hello and good evening.

you looking here

Hello I can speak a little English but good German. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
Then I try the times translate to English.

These brake discs are designed for the VW old Beetle. Both have the same wheel bearing.
So the discs are also attached to the 914th
The price is 189 euros + shipping.
Starlack

smile.gif

Is that would be expensive. but I only have the brake discs.
The calipers are from the 911 F Model ..
zach914v8
QUOTE(Starlack @ Nov 16 2014, 02:49 PM) *

smile.gif

Since these things are made for old vw bugs, I would think that there has to be a source for these in the us.... Maybe?
Starlack
QUOTE(zach914v8 @ Nov 16 2014, 01:09 PM) *

QUOTE(Starlack @ Nov 16 2014, 02:49 PM) *

smile.gif

Since these things are made for old vw bugs, I would think that there has to be a source for these in the us.... Maybe?

I do not think the sale in US parts the company Kerscher.
But there are sell these discs other providers. In Germany, for example,

http://www.csp-shop.com/cgi-bin/cshop2/fro...sort=0&all=

The company Kerscher in Germany is well known in the 914 scene and .. Ofcourse I beetles
shoguneagle
THREAD HIGHJACK!!! Sorry, but I saw that Mr. Mueller made a couple of threads here.

Mr. Mueller does know what he is talking about and NEEDS to be involved back in the 914/911 world whenever he can provide time away from the wife and twins. His knowledge and ability to build items is first class. We have missed a great asset.

I am glad he has commented and he still has his interest. Glad he is well along with the family. Mr. Mueller provided me with information and assistance without question during the early years, and I have never forgotten it.

Hello, Mike. Best of everything to you and the family.

NOW, back to "normal broadcast"!

Sorry, but I just had to say hello and make comments.

Steve Hurt

r_towle
QUOTE(Starlack @ Nov 16 2014, 03:43 PM) *

Hello and good evening.

you looking here

Hello I can speak a little English but good German. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
Then I try the times translate to English.

These brake discs are designed for the VW old Beetle. Both have the same wheel bearing.
So the discs are also attached to the 914th
The price is 189 euros + shipping.

That is a fantastic price.
What is the offset? Is it the same as a beetle?
Will this make your wheels rub the fender?
Mark Henry
I have a friend up here in Canuckistan named Lanner that can makes adapters for almost anything. If he had the drawing I bet he could pop these out pretty damn fast.

He does it mostly for the beetle crowd, a lot of Porsche 5-bolt conversions so he already has the tooling for the hubs

http://vdubengineering.com/brake-parts-kits/

IPB Image
stugray
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Nov 16 2014, 06:26 PM) *

I have a friend up here in Canuckistan named Lanner that can makes adapters for almost anything. If he had the drawing I bet he could pop these out pretty damn fast.

He does it mostly for the beetle crowd, a lot of Porsche 5-bolt conversions so he already has the tooling for the hubs

IPB Image

So would those bolt to a wilwood style rotor and then fit on our spindles?

exact dimensions are probably different, but is that the concept?
Mark Henry
QUOTE(stugray @ Nov 16 2014, 09:20 PM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Nov 16 2014, 06:26 PM) *

IPB Image

So would those bolt to a wilwood style rotor and then fit on our spindles?

exact dimensions are probably different, but is that the concept?

That kit is for a 944 NA caliper and hub on VW beetle. I'm guessing 944 rotor as well.
oldschool
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Nov 16 2014, 05:44 AM) *

I bet Mike Mueller still has the files and would likely give them away.

Yup pretty done laugh.gif I just saw a 914 in his shop this week, poke.gif
white1975
piratenanner.gif I have a friend that has a machine shop that is more for play and spare after hours work that should cut down on cost plus I need a set too 5 lug setup
which means he will have me out there helping just need a copy of them to go at it
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Mueller @ Nov 16 2014, 02:19 PM) *

IIRC that's who BR was working with.
The last set Mark had on the shelf was sold directly to me for one of my customers.
stugray
QUOTE(white1975 @ Nov 16 2014, 11:55 PM) *

piratenanner.gif I have a friend that has a machine shop that is more for play and spare after hours work that should cut down on cost plus I need a set too 5 lug setup
which means he will have me out there helping just need a copy of them to go at it

If the design was done smart, you could make these hubs, and then drill them for 4 or 5 lug wheels.
The "core" would be indentical, then the holes drilled for whichever wheel you wanted.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Mueller @ Nov 16 2014, 11:19 AM) *

I have not spoken to Brad in about 3 years or so, no idea if cares if the drawing is released or not...all my current parts (2) I am making for Volvos I make the drawings available to the general public so I see no harm with these.

Wouldn't take too much work to get them drawn up again, I remember most of the details.

The 1st run was 7075, I really think 6061 would work just fine and save a good chunk of money on the raw billets.

I've been out of the 914 stuff for ages, trying to get back into the game slowly....

Mike,
I have had these on my car for 5-6 years now. (I have the 5 lug variety) they have only one problem that I can see. The lugs loosen up. Perhaps instead of tapping them an insert?
Mueller
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Nov 17 2014, 08:35 AM) *

QUOTE(Mueller @ Nov 16 2014, 11:19 AM) *

Mike,
I have had these on my car for 5-6 years now. (I have the 5 lug variety) they have only one problem that I can see. The lugs loosen up. Perhaps instead of tapping them an insert?

From what I remember, I only dealt with the 4 lug version and those used Timecerts, no reason the 5 lug version couldn't have used those or have pressed in studs.

I also want to say the 4 lug versions had an optional screw in stud, supplied by BBS Racing.
69telecaster
I have a machine shop, and we're ALWAYS looking for stuff to do. I reverse-engineered a set of hubs for my old Comet, to convert the square-flange 4-lug to round flange 5-lug...but the flange could be drilled for anything. Mine were made of steel with the separate flange welded on and finish machined. I saw photos of Brad Roberts' AL hubs on the other 914 forum some years ago. Drawings would make it real easy to estimate costs, and I'd love to have a look.

cm
crash914
When all is said and done, I need this with matching calipers also...kit..at around $800 I am all in...
zach914v8
QUOTE(69telecaster @ Nov 17 2014, 12:28 PM) *

I have a machine shop, and we're ALWAYS looking for stuff to do. I reverse-engineered a set of hubs for my old Comet, to convert the square-flange 4-lug to round flange 5-lug...but the flange could be drilled for anything. Mine were made of steel with the separate flange welded on and finish machined. I saw photos of Brad Roberts' AL hubs on the other 914 forum some years ago. Drawings would make it real easy to estimate costs, and I'd love to have a look.

cm

I think a lot of us would love to see the drawings, but if it comes to be that we have to design a new hub, my vote is for a hub that will use a bolt on wilwood piece.
white1975
shades.gif
I would have them made with pressed in studs for the five lug
Mueller
QUOTE(69telecaster @ Nov 17 2014, 10:28 AM) *

cm

I'll try and look for them tonight...

I also want to say there was an issue with them being used on the very early struts and ideally one would want 71 and newer struts? Anyone remember that or know if there is a difference in front strut assemblies?

zach914v8

I hope you find them. This could be awesome! I called my machinist today, he is ready to go.
Mueller
QUOTE(zach914v8 @ Nov 17 2014, 03:37 PM) *

I hope you find them. This could be awesome! I called my machinist today, he is ready to go.

I wouldn't trust the drawings 100%....I know I had to do 1 or 2 redlines at the shop when I did a 1st article inspection, I remember being off about .100" for a bearing race. (rotor not centered in the caliper?) luckily I screwed up by have too much material in that direction.

I might have fixed them, I might not have.
zach914v8
QUOTE(Mueller @ Nov 17 2014, 06:17 PM) *

I wouldn't trust the drawings 100%....I know I had to do 1 or 2 redlines at the shop when I did a 1st article inspection, I remember being off about .100" for a bearing race. (rotor not centered in the caliper?) luckily I screwed up by have too much material in that direction.

thats cool, as long as the incorrect plans still leave enough metal to be fixed its all good.
oldschool
talk with the guys from wilwood today at Jay leno's garage, I ask them if they make stuff for 914 blink.gif NOPE rolleyes.gif
914Mike
QUOTE(Mueller @ Nov 17 2014, 05:17 PM) *

Hey Mike, long time.

I remember waiting while mine was recut for the seal fit, something about too tight. Then I got the Rabbit seal from Bugformance, and had to glue it in... (I think there might be a different seal than I got that fits better.)

I seem to remember a bit of offset on the wheel mounting surface, like 5mm or so narrower than stock. (Checked PM's, I sent that info in 2005!)

If you need to measure anything, I can pull one off.
DRPHIL914
I see that site also has 5 lug variety ! Vented . So would those work with stock calipers? I did the 5 lug conversion using the 4 lug drilled to 5 by Eric shea. So if I wanted to step up to have vented rotors these would work on my front with current set up?- I'm referring to the German ones smile.gif
Mueller

Hey Mike, long time.

I remember mine had to be recut for the seal, something about too tight. Then I got the Rabbit seal from Bugformance, and had to glue it in... (I think there might be a different seal than I got that fits better.)

I seem to remember a bit of offset on the wheel mounting surface, like 5mm or so wider than stock. Might be for brake clearance?

Hey Mike...wow, yep long time for sure.

No luck on the drawing , at least no electronic copy....too many computers and hard drives ago...I know there is a hard copy floating around my house someplace since I remember seeing the 11*17 print sometime last year while cleaning my garage, I wouldn't think that I'd have thrown it away.

914Mike
QUOTE(Mueller @ Nov 17 2014, 09:08 PM) *

Hey Mike, long time.

I remember mine had to be recut for the seal, something about too tight. Then I got the Rabbit seal from Bugformance, and had to glue it in... (I think there might be a different seal than I got that fits better.)

I seem to remember a bit of offset on the wheel mounting surface, like 5mm or so wider than stock. Might be for brake clearance?

Hey Mike...wow, yep long time for sure.

No luck on the drawing , at least no electronic copy....too many computers and hard drives ago...I know there is a hard copy floating around my house someplace since I remember seeing the 11*17 print sometime last year while cleaning my garage, I wouldn't think that I'd have thrown it away.

It may be 11" X 17", but it's only a few mils thick. Could be anywhere...

Just edited my post above, after checking the PM's, It was actually 4-5 mm narrow, I had to add spacers to keep the stock tires from rubbing the inside.

I think the rim centering snout would need to grow also. Then you'd have to cut a slot to be able to fit the allen key into the wheel bearing lock bolt, etc.

Spacer is much easier...
bdstone914
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Nov 17 2014, 09:49 PM) *

I see that site also has 5 lug variety ! Vented . So would those work with stock calipers? I did the 5 lug conversion using the 4 lug drilled to 5 by Eric shea. So if I wanted to step up to have vented rotors these would work on my front with current set up?- I'm referring to the German ones smile.gif

Not with stock calpiers. 911 M calipers or Alfa calipers would work. Or a 1978 BMW 320 I caliper. Might need the pad machined. They used vented rotors for 1 year only.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.