Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Title?, How the hell do I get a title for this thing?
VWTortuga336
post Nov 16 2014, 09:26 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,979
Region Association: None

I'm in sort of an odd predicament and I want to see if anyone here has had to deal with anything similar. Here's the deal:

I live in Missouri and I just bought a '74 914 from a guy who was going to sell it for parts. I bought it cheap because of this.

He bought it from another guy who bought it to sell it for parts.

The title was not transferred either time. So, the title now has the "original" (as of 1987ish) on the front and the "next" owner (as of 2002) on the back as the buyer. I am in possession of the title, but it doesn't do me much good in it's current state. I contacted the original owner, who then contacted the state DMV. The DMV told him that he could not simply apply for a replacement title, as every car the car changed hands the title should have been transferred - each sale was not legal. So he can't help me either. He did seem willing to tell the DMV "yeah, I don't own it anymore".

Luckily, the guy I bought the car from has been very willing to help throughout this whole process and will be calling the Missouri state DMV tomorrow to see what they have to say. If we can't get a clear title, the guy offered to give me my money back, so I'm not too worried about that aspect. I just don't want to have to give the car back (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

Anyone ever been through something like this????

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
bandjoey
post Nov 16 2014, 09:59 AM
Post #2

bandjoey

Member No.: 8,156
Region Association: Southwest Region

Was it a steal of a deal? If not there are good cars out there with a title. If it's THE car ask about a bonded title. You buy an insurance bond to get the title. However it'll be harder to sell the car later. It's a step above salvage but who cares if you plan on keeping it. This is for a keeper. Good luck.

Many pictures help knowing the condition to see if it's worth it.
+Quote Post
green914
post Nov 16 2014, 10:03 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 12,874
Region Association: Northern California

Most likely be different at DMV from state to state. It will all come down to how much is owed in penalties/fines to resurrect the title.
I bought one in the same situation, California DMV wanted $1801 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif) in penalties and other fees; it got parted out instead.
+Quote Post
t collins
post Nov 16 2014, 10:04 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,754

You might try these guys http://www.broadwaytitle.com/ if all else fails (no personal experience or affiliation)
+Quote Post
VWTortuga336
post Nov 16 2014, 10:46 AM
Post #5

QUOTE(bandjoey @ Nov 16 2014, 09:59 AM) *

Was it a steal of a deal? If not there are good cars out there with a title. If it's THE car ask about a bonded title. You buy an insurance bond to get the title. However it'll be harder to sell the car later. It's a step above salvage but who cares if you plan on keeping it. This is for a keeper. Good luck.

Many pictures help knowing the condition to see if it's worth it.

I feel like it was a steal of a deal - $800. But I could be wrong. Here are some pics of the car. So far, I know I will need to:

Buy a rebuilt bottom end and P&C (heads look good)
Rebuild carbs (they are rusted and seized)
Flush gas tank
Replace fuel lines
Replace brake lines
Rebuild brake calipers
Buy new coil
Buy battery
Buy new tires

Body seems to be very straight. A few spots of the paint are starting to bubble from rust and the outer rockers are probably 50% gone. Paint does look like it will polish up pretty nicely. Rest of the car seems pretty solid. I'm a noob when it comes to all this stuff though, I'm just learning as I go. Thoughts?

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
dlee6204
post Nov 16 2014, 10:58 AM
Post #6

Howdy

Member No.: 5,956

The title holder SHOULD be able to apply for a replacement title. Possibly just have him try a different DMV and skip the part about it changing hands (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
altitude411
post Nov 16 2014, 11:01 AM
Post #7

I drove my 6 into a tree

Member No.: 17,932
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

100 mph tape holding the gas pedal together? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) I think I'd look a little deeper into the structure of the car. Seriously, pull the rockers and inspect the outer and inner longs and the rest of the suspect areas... paint is the least of your concerns my friend.
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Nov 16 2014, 11:14 AM
Post #8

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457

Missouri License & Title Agency in K C. Check with them. All I did was Google.
+Quote Post
VWTortuga336
post Nov 16 2014, 11:19 AM
Post #9

QUOTE(altitude411 @ Nov 16 2014, 11:01 AM) *

100 mph tape holding the gas pedal together? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) I think I'd look a little deeper into the structure of the car. Seriously, pull the rockers and inspect the outer and inner longs and the rest of the suspect areas... paint is the least of your concerns my friend.

I understand paint is at the bottom of the list at this point. I'm just wondering if THIS car is worth fighting for, or if I should just give it back and move on.
+Quote Post
altitude411
post Nov 16 2014, 11:31 AM
Post #10

I drove my 6 into a tree

Member No.: 17,932
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I didn't mean to come across as a downer.... but there's only one way to stop wondering. Remove the rockers and carpet and check out the bones of this car. Only then will you know for sure what to do. If you have questions, post pictures and get feed back from the World. They're here for you. Good luck.
+Quote Post
stevegm
post Nov 16 2014, 11:36 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,633
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(altitude411 @ Nov 16 2014, 12:01 PM) *

I agree. You can't really place a value on it, or figure out where to go form here, without understanding the rust situation. The value of the car is the market value of the car (with potential repairs done) minus the cost of those repairs. That will determine whether you got a deal or not. None-the-less, it looks pretty good, and seems to have a lot of very attractive stuff on it. But, dig into the car to really find out.
+Quote Post
914itis
post Nov 16 2014, 11:58 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 12,256
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(dlee6204 @ Nov 16 2014, 11:58 AM) *

The title holder SHOULD be able to apply for a replacement title. Possibly just have him try a different DMV and skip the part about it changing hands (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

I agree ! Skip the other buyers, lost title. Keep it simple.
+Quote Post
VWTortuga336
post Nov 16 2014, 12:09 PM
Post #13

QUOTE(914itis @ Nov 16 2014, 11:58 AM) *

QUOTE(dlee6204 @ Nov 16 2014, 11:58 AM) *

I agree ! Skip the other buyers, lost title. Keep it simple.

I 100% agree with that too. Unfortunately, the title holder called the state DMV and told them the situation. I think the DMV scared him into not doing that. He isn't willing to help any further at this point. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
+Quote Post
tradisrad
post Nov 16 2014, 12:11 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 6,815
Region Association: Northern California

I bought a car w/o a title and all I had to do was fill out the proper paper work and I was good to go. If I recall I had a bill of sale and filled out papers for application of title. There may have been one or two more papers to fill out.
Check with your DMV. In CA it was not too hard to deal with.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Nov 16 2014, 02:13 PM
Post #15

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

George would sell you a title. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hide.gif)
+Quote Post
JoeDees
post Nov 16 2014, 02:27 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 18,106

Hide the title. Get a bill of sale from the last seller. Most states have a title application form that will require a certified letter sent to the last registered owner who will have to say whether they have a legal right to the car, if they say no you are granted the title. Usually the hardest part is tracing down that owner.
+Quote Post
carr914
post Nov 16 2014, 03:01 PM
Post #17

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(t collins @ Nov 16 2014, 11:04 AM) *

You might try these guys http://www.broadwaytitle.com/ if all else fails (no personal experience or affiliation)

That would be a NO! Do a Google Search
+Quote Post
VWTortuga336
post Nov 16 2014, 04:15 PM
Post #18

QUOTE(DirtyCossack @ Nov 16 2014, 02:27 PM) *

Hide the title. Get a bill of sale from the last seller. Most states have a title application form that will require a certified letter sent to the last registered owner who will have to say whether they have a legal right to the car, if they say no you are granted the title. Usually the hardest part is tracing down that owner.

I'll give that a try since I've already tracked the "owner" on the title. Do you see any concerns since he signed the title over to another buyer, or is he still considered the legal owner?
+Quote Post
914itis
post Nov 16 2014, 04:52 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 12,256
Region Association: North East States

In NY state , the buyer can use the signed titke to order a new title under his name.
He can authorize you to register the car on your name but he is still the owner, when the title comes he signs it over to you.
+Quote Post
bandjoey
post Nov 16 2014, 10:15 PM
Post #20

bandjoey

Member No.: 8,156

Another thought....
You can get about $4-500 for the wheels alone if they're true. Parts sales will move you into a titled car. Sell it off and find a driver for spring.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 08:31 AM