Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Title?, How the hell do I get a title for this thing?
R_u_dd
post Nov 16 2014, 11:03 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,072
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Every state is different. In Oregon I bought my car with a bill of sale from a guy who bought it with a bill of sale. I had no title in hand when I bought the car but I knew I could return it if I could not get the title and I only paid $300. I went to the DMV and got a name and address of the guy who last had the title. I sent a copy to the address of a bill of sale. Once he sent me the signed bill of sale I was able to go to the DMV and obtain the title in my name.

You need to track down the guy whose name is on the title and obtain a bill of sale from him, otherwise s/he is still the legal owner. Check with your state DMV on how to proceed. It's a tenuous situation to be in because there's a lot of waiting and unknowns. Don't do much work on the car or invest much in it emotionally until you know the outcome.

I've been there and know how you feel. Hang in there.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
JoeDees
post Nov 18 2014, 08:31 AM
Post #22

Member No.: 18,106
Region Association: None

QUOTE(VWTortuga336 @ Nov 16 2014, 04:15 PM) *

QUOTE(DirtyCossack @ Nov 16 2014, 02:27 PM) *

Hide the title. Get a bill of sale from the last seller. Most states have a title application form that will require a certified letter sent to the last registered owner who will have to say whether they have a legal right to the car, if they say no you are granted the title. Usually the hardest part is tracing down that owner.

I'll give that a try since I've already tracked the "owner" on the title. Do you see any concerns since he signed the title over to another buyer, or is he still considered the legal owner?

From my understanding, in Oklahoma at least, the state only cares about who was the last person to register the car/title. If the one guy never bothered transferring it, he never bothered "buying" it.
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Nov 18 2014, 08:58 AM
Post #23

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439

Check the battery area, the pan, and rear suspension mounts (especially the right) before you do anything else, it may be a parts car.
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Nov 18 2014, 10:02 AM
Post #24

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

If the car is worth the hassle, you may be able to obtain a mechanics lien. It would require you to file a lien with the court, have an auction and then file the paperwork with the state. Have your wife or girlfriend "buy" the car for want ever price you need to, or you may wind up deciding to sell it to the new buyer at this point. It's different from state to state, but this may be an option.
-mark
+Quote Post
jasons
post Nov 18 2014, 02:59 PM
Post #25

Jackstand Extraordinaire

Member No.: 2,573

I think if the first owner has never had the car out of his name, you could get a new title in his name regardless of what your DMV says. You might go talk to a 3rd party place if you have those in your state.

Otherwise, you would need to find the guy whose name is on the back and get him to do a power of attorney for the car to you. At least that's how it works here in AZ. I've done it on a 914 in fact.

Basically the owner on the front of the title has put it into the hands of someone else. That person never transferred the title, but they can grant a power of attorney to you to transfer the title for them. And when you transfer the title for them, you transfer it to you. The DMV wants a paper trail from the front owner to you. The power of attorney is the missing link.
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Nov 19 2014, 09:39 AM
Post #26

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

have you spoken with the original owner?
If he is ok with it, go online and file for a duplicate title, pay for it and they will send it to his address.

Give him something for his trouble and signature.
BTDT...kinda a hassle, I never buy cars without titles because of that.

rich
+Quote Post
jcd914
post Nov 20 2014, 12:39 AM
Post #27

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,684
Region Association: Northern California

I have have done this at the CA DMV.
I had a signed title from the original owner, signing the car over to a new second party.
The bill of sale documenting the sale from the original owner to the second party.
The bill of sale from the second party documenting the sale of the car to me.

Took it all that to the CA DMV and transferred the title of the car to me.
Of course that were some extra fees & penalties because of the time between the original sale and the sale to me.

In CA it seems all you really need to do is provide enough paper work that the DMV can charge you a bunch of fees & penalties and they are happy.

Jim

+Quote Post
MikeSpraggi
post Nov 21 2014, 09:08 AM
Post #28

Member No.: 3,570
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(carr914 @ Nov 16 2014, 02:01 PM) *

QUOTE(t collins @ Nov 16 2014, 11:04 AM) *

You might try these guys http://www.broadwaytitle.com/ if all else fails (no personal experience or affiliation)

That would be a NO! Do a Google Search

I used Broadway Title a few years ago for a 914 (my current track car). Had no problem whatsoever. Good, quick service. Cost was about $295 or something. I see now their current rate at $895 appears to be higher than what you paid for your car....YIKES.

I would simply go with the original owner requesting a replacement title. In this case, no need to devulge all the changing of hands...TMI. Go for simple.
+Quote Post
naro914
post Nov 21 2014, 09:21 AM
Post #29

Losing my mind...

Member No.: 6,073
Region Association: South East States

I have registered 3 cars in the past that did not have titles, not including the 'kit' Beck Speedsters and Spyders I used to sell when I had the dealership.

Go to DMV office, tell them you bought a non-running car from a guy but he did not have a title for it. Many states do not issue titles for older cars anyway (Georgia comes to mind). Here in NC, they have you fill out a form and a DMV inspector comes out to see the car, writes up a report, verifies the VIN tags, and they submit it. Takes about 3-4 weeks, but assuming they don't find any leins or judgements against it, they issue a new title to you.
+Quote Post
larryM
post Nov 21 2014, 07:09 PM
Post #30

emoze

Member No.: 65
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(VWTortuga336 @ Nov 16 2014, 02:15 PM) *

I'll give that a try since I've already tracked the "owner" on the title. Do you see any concerns since he signed the title over to another buyer, or is he still considered the legal owner?

obviously the transfer to the person on the back was never processed, else you would be in this dilemma - therefore the guy on the front is still the legal owner

do as suggested above - just have him give you a bill of sale along with A lost title form

- then find out what the back fees & penalties are if it was not kept currently registered & make your decision

OR - sell it to a Californian and have them do an Application for Original Registration - it's a piece of cake - no back fees, but you will have to present the body for VIN certification

good luck
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 08:21 PM