Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V « < 3 4 5  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What's the smallest yet safest tow vehicle..., for a trailer w/914?
neo914-6
post Jul 13 2005, 11:19 PM
Post #81

neo life

Group: Members
Member No.: 159

Gotta add John Kelly's transporter... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smilie_pokal.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
avendlerdp
post Jul 13 2005, 11:31 PM
Post #82

Member No.: 3,692

I am going off the map here. My tow car is a 1986 Mercedes 560 SEC. Huge 4 wheel discs, self leveling suspension, 285 hp, and a plush interior makes this the best long distance tow car ever. It easily tugs 4000lbs but one needs to keep the tongue weight under 700lbs.

THese are cheap too. 7k gets you a nice one.

Alex
+Quote Post
Dead Air
post Jul 14 2005, 06:53 AM
Post #83

Member No.: 2,042

850 miles or so...not good on hills. 22R four cylinder

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
URY914
post Jul 14 2005, 07:22 AM
Post #84

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222
Region Association: None

I knew of a guy from Atlanta that would tow his 914 racer on a single axle trailer behind his 928. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif)

Paul
+Quote Post
tat2dphreak
post Jul 14 2005, 08:02 AM
Post #85

stoya, stoya, stoya

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 792
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ Feb 1 2005, 12:46 PM)
U-haul won't even talk to you if you have a Ford Explorer.
Yet they said a 93 Ranger would be just fine. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/confused24.gif) ranger has smaller brakes lighter drive line and Less vehicle weight.

I used to haul a boat with more toungue weight than a teenerin my ranger...

thing is this: explorers are built like a car chassis, Rangers are built on a truck platform...

expeditions is where I think Ford started making the SUVs more like Trucks...

a Chevy suburban can tow a LOT too.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Jul 14 2005, 08:56 AM
Post #86

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

Listing of vehicles tow ratings and state laws.

These are geared toward us boaters but useful none the less.

My 2003 Silverado will get 21 MPG all day long towing it drops, but it is a fine vehical for towing and way better than towing with Astro and better mileage too boot.

+Quote Post
Nick
post Jul 14 2005, 09:10 AM
Post #87

Member No.: 2,250

I towed my 914 with a '95 Land Rover Disco with no problems. I bought the Disco for 4K two years ago. Not bad price for a comfortable tow vehicle. Only down side is terrible gas mileage. I'm luck to see anything above 13 mpg.

Nick
+Quote Post
Midtowner
post Jul 14 2005, 11:04 PM
Post #88

Ooooo!

Member No.: 3,316

Umm go easy on that 22R! I used to sell remanufactured 22R's and have seen plenty of rods punching through the block. Don't get me wrong - it's a great engine, just stroked a wee bit too much for towing and high torque conditions. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
Mr.C
post Jul 15 2005, 12:14 AM
Post #89

Easy does it

Member No.: 61

QUOTE (Nick @ Jul 14 2005, 07:10 AM)
I towed my 914 with a '95 Land Rover Disco with no problems. I bought the Disco for 4K two years ago. Not bad price for a comfortable tow vehicle. Only down side is terrible gas mileage. I'm luck to see anything above 13 mpg.

Nick

I got a 95 too and man does the mileage suck! I was thinking of towing with it, but all I want to do now is get rid of it. 3.9 V8 and I have seen as little as 9mpg around town. Can't imagine what towing mpg would be like.
+Quote Post
messix
post Jul 15 2005, 01:08 AM
Post #90

AKA "CLUTCH KILLER"!

From: between shit kickers and pinky lifters/ puget sound wa.north of Seattle south of Canada
Member No.: 3,931
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

light weights (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/happy11.gif)

this is the minimum

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
neo914-6
post Jul 15 2005, 01:11 AM
Post #91

neo life

QUOTE (messix @ Jul 14 2005, 11:08 PM)
light weights (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/happy11.gif)

this is the minimum

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/clap.gif) that could pull a fleet of 914's! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
Nick
post Jul 15 2005, 11:39 AM
Post #92

[QUOTE=Cabasa,Jul 14 2005, 10:14 PM]Nick [/QUOTE]
I got a 95 too and man does the mileage suck! I was thinking of towing with it, but all I want to do now is get rid of it. 3.9 V8 and I have seen as little as 9mpg around town. Can't imagine what towing mpg would be like.[/QUOTE]
[/QUOTE]
I guess the mileage is so bad on the Disco that you don't really notice a difference when towing. It was about 13 mpg on the highway at about 60 - 65 mph
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Jul 15 2005, 11:50 AM
Post #93

Arrrrhhhh!

Member No.: 433

I was just reading that the new Hyundai Elantra has a very high tow rating, but you know it just wouldnt be right to tow a 914 with a Hyundai. I'm looking at a Honda Ridgeline as a possibility. Its about the only truck my wife is willing to drive. I'm also thinking a used BMW or Mercedes SUV would be nice - boat loads of them under $20K. Cayenne still is a bit high - I found a couple in the high $30 K range - talk about plumeting resale value! Ouch! Also twisted part of me wants to get a Dodge Magnum with a V8.

After hauling a t4 engine in the back of my Toyota Echo yesterday I realized I really need somthing more practical now that I'm getting into 914's again.
+Quote Post
neo914-6
post Jul 15 2005, 12:26 PM
Post #94

neo life

QUOTE (grantsfo @ Jul 15 2005, 09:50 AM)
I was just reading that the new Hyundai Elantra has a very high tow rating, but you know it just wouldnt be right to tow a 914 with a Hyundai. I'm looking at a Honda Ridgeline as a possibility. Its about the only truck my wife is willing to drive. I'm also thinking a used BMW or Mercedes SUV would be nice - boat loads of them under $20K. Cayenne still is a bit high - I found a couple in the high $30 K range - talk about plumeting resale value! Ouch! Also twisted part of me wants to get a Dodge Magnum with a V8.

After hauling a t4 engine in the back of my Toyota Echo yesterday I realized I really need somthing more practical now that I'm getting into 914's again.

Don't tell that to Howard's "Attilla the Huyn"

The sensible thing to do is get a Japanese truck or SUV. I've found alot of people balance the "project" car with a no-maint truck or SUV. Plus these could be used for daily commuters so they are multi-functional.

The other sensible thing is just to rent or borrow when-ever you need to haul or transport. How often will the tow hitch or truck bed be used?

On the other hand, I love Mercedes engineering and plan to get a used ML 430. On the sedans the V8's gas consumption was not much more than I6's. The unknown threshold for "high" mileage has owners selling them cheap with alot of miles left in them.

+Quote Post
Nick
post Jul 15 2005, 02:12 PM
Post #95

I was just looking at magnum specs and the are rated at 2000 lbs for towing. Doesn't seem like enough, but I like em. Had one as a rental car loads of fun turning of the traction control and hanging the tail out. I thought a ridgeline would be interesting until I saw one in the flesh. The sides of the bed are so high it would be a pain in the butt get anything in it.

Nick
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Jul 15 2005, 04:01 PM
Post #96

Arrrrhhhh!

Member No.: 433

QUOTE (Nick @ Jul 15 2005, 12:12 PM)
I was just looking at magnum specs and the are rated at 2000 lbs for towing. Doesn't seem like enough, but I like em. Had one as a rental car loads of fun turning of the traction control and hanging the tail out. I thought a ridgeline would be interesting until I saw one in the flesh. The sides of the bed are so high it would be a pain in the butt get anything in it.

Nick

Magnum with V8 and tow package can handle 3800 lbs.
+Quote Post

5 Pages V « < 3 4 5
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th May 2024 - 05:26 PM