Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What's the smallest yet safest tow vehicle...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
neo914-6
Aside from big fuel thirsty trucks, which will be legal and safe...6/8 cyl. SUV, truck, El Camino, station wagon???

I found trailer rentals require 3/4 ton or larger.
MattR
IPB Image

IPB Image
fiid
Our Legacy GT wagon has an official towing capacity of 2500lbs. My stepfather has pulled WAY more than that behind his old 1.8 wagon (much to the detriment of everything - including a couple of fences - but thats another story) - so I feel pretty confident with the new vehicles. Don't know how much it weighs though if you need to persuade a rental co.
scruz914
I used to tow a 22' Catalina sail boat with a GMC Safari (Chevy Astro). Around 3500 lbs. Six cylinder with a heavy duty radiator and transmission cooler. Several trips from Santa Cruz to Tahoe with out a problem. Not the fastest up hill at altitude but not unbearable. I loaned the van to a friend who towed a heavier speed boat up to Shasta with a car load of people. When not towing the van drives like a car, seats 8 plus room in the back.

-Jeff
jandro62
you could get a caprice classic, v8 with the towing package - that thing will haul quite a bit as long as you have the steel wheels and not the aluminum ones.

I towed my 914 with an Isuzu rodeo. wasn't that unpleasant for 180 miles. I think the rodeo is pretty fugly though.
neo914-6
MattR,

I meant in ONE piece! IPB Image

Will it have a proper burial?
redshift
I think a Mini Cooper S.

M
SpecialK
QUOTE (Neo914 @ Feb 1 2005, 12:28 AM)
MattR,

I meant in ONE piece! IPB Image

CRAP!!

Another load of 914 bits I could've used! IPB Image

Stop the maddness CA guys, the midwest needs your leftovers! IPB Image

Back to the topic:

I'd trust my (wife's) Jeep Cherokee to tow just about anything that weighed less than it.
GaroldShaffer
I find my V6 Dakota Quab Cab does just fine.
ChrisFoley
I wouldn't want to use anything smaller than my 6 cyl. Dakota, but it works pretty good. I do have to downshift to 4th going up the big hills though.
SteveSr
QUOTE (itsa914 @ Feb 1 2005, 03:45 AM)
I find my V6 Dakota Quab Cab does just fine.

As long as your front wheels don't fall off that Dakota Garold IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image
Nice trailer, BTW

SteveSr
skline
I have towed many a 914 behind an S-10 truck. Of course they only made them to 2003, now they have the canyon and colorado pckups which are powered by an Isuzu inline 5 cylinder. I wont buy one.
xsboost90
eventually my 03 3.0 ranger will be the trailer rig, but ill install a trans cooler when i do it.
machina
I would look for wheelbase and gross weight of the tow vehicle. There are lots of trucks (or cars) that can tow a 914. It's just that when you have to swerve or make some kind of quick maneuver, your going to be limited if your tow vehicle doesn't weigh much more than your tow rig. (trailer and car)

Also, I have found that whenever I tow, my truck ends up packed to the gills with stuff I need once I get there. So that doesn't help things either.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (Neo914 @ Feb 1 2005, 01:46 AM)

i believe your question contains the answer...

if you are renting, the smallest vehicle is whatever the rental company says it is.

if it's your trailer - well - "trailer" covers quite a spectrum. is it a new, lightweight aluminum commercial trailer or a big, old, home-built iron I-beam thing. what kind of BRAKES does the trailer have? if it's for track events, will you be adding a set or two of spare wheels, 500 lbs of tools & parts, 50 gallons of race gas, a barbecue, and a 20x30 EZ-Up ?

are there mountains where you need to tow? are you at altitude ?

every time this question comes up on the Racing list, the answer is: get the biggest Diesel truck you can possibly afford - your safety and peace of mind will thank you. (it is NO FUN getting scared more by the tow home than your time on the track...)

that said - yes, i'm planning on using our (older) Subie Legacy Outback to FLAT-TOW the 911 to any track events we do next year. i will definitely add a (second) transmission cooler. i pulled a trailer with a 356 around the block once and it went okay but it was not something i'd care to do at length.
scotty b
Jeep Grand Wagoneer. Tow in STYLE!! IPB Image
ConeDodger
My V6 Supercharged 4Runner hardly notices my boat until it is time to brake quickly. Trailer brakes might help that some.
groot
If you bought the tow vehicle, check the manufacturers ratings.... if you lease it, who cares?

Anyway, it really depends on your trailer. I have towed with a fwd, V6 Escape (rated for 3500#). It wasn't horrible, but living with it the rest of the year is much better than (IMHO) an Explorer.

I built a trailer so it's lighter and I can get away with a smaller tow vehicle. So, my entire rig (enclosed trailer, race car, tires, etc) is less than 3000#.
Mueller
Felix,

Have you seen Haydens trailer?

Comprised of bonded aluminum that he designed and built himself (I'm sure Tracy helped IPB Image )

If you designed and built it just right, it could be stowed away easily when not in use.
bondo
Uhaul rented this trailer to me, but it was only a half ton. Perhaps they shouldn't have IPB Image The trailer itself weight 2000 lbs. It probably didn't help that I put 2 engines, 3 transmissions, and a bunch of parts in the back of the pickup IPB Image I have since replaced the truck with a 3/4 ton full size van.
andys
QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ Feb 1 2005, 05:37 AM)
QUOTE (Neo914 @ Feb 1 2005, 01:46 AM)

i believe your question contains the answer...

if you are renting, the smallest vehicle is whatever the rental company says it is.

Ditto. Anything less than 3/4 ton is pretty much useless if you want to rent (just about anything). It's one reason I kept my fully size van conversion all these years........heavy, long wheelbase, tows great (except for power); very stable. Not refused by any rental yard. Unless you buy your own trailer, you're at the mercy of the yards' and their policies.

If you buy your own/borrow a trailer, I would suggest the heaviest, longest wheelbase (important for stability), and most powerful you can tolerate/afford. Definately avoid short wheelbase, high CG vehicles. They're a disater waiting to happen. Oh, and surge brakes as a minimum.

You might look into a tow dolly. I don't believe the rental yards have any restrictions when renting them(?).

Andy
Carlitos Way
QUOTE (andys @ Feb 1 2005, 09:07 AM)

You might look into a tow dolly. I don't believe the rental yards have any restrictions when renting them(?).

Andy

I'd be very leary about a tow dolly with a car as low as a 914... especially if you have to slam on the brakes... or is that the "deluxe braking option"?
Eric_Shea
My ML320 (3.2 V6) did a great job over the Sierra/Nevada range. Pretty much 70-something on the cruise through KA. Once I hit Reno I set the cruise at 80 and cruised home.

Problems? Nada. Never even knew it was back there.
Series9
I don't recommend an Explorer.

My friend was gracious enough to pull me to Ft. Worth and back for the dip, but with a 2000# trailer carrying a 450# car it was a little scary.
Joe Ricard
U-haul won't even talk to you if you have a Ford Explorer.
Yet they said a 93 Ranger would be just fine. IPB Image ranger has smaller brakes lighter drive line and Less vehicle weight.
Jenny
QUOTE (Rotten Robby @ Feb 1 2005, 06:36 AM)
My V6 Supercharged 4Runner hardly notices my boat until it is time to brake quickly. Trailer brakes might help that some.

Sorry to hijack, I'm seriously considering selling my Chevy Silverado for something more economical and fuel efficient, like a 4Runner. I've heard the V6's have a head gasket problem. Yea or nay?

Jen
TimT
I've heard the V6's have a head gasket problem. Yea or nay?

I had a mid 90's 4runner, with V6, the head gasket was replaced under warranty
Jenny
I'm looking for one around early to mid 90's. My boyfriend swears by the 22RE. I've heard several claims that the V6's blow head gaskets around 60Kmiles, and will need replacing every additional 60. Needless to say, there would be no warranty on a craigslist purchase. IPB Image

I spoke to a toyota mech, and he says it got something to do with the coolant's PH eventually matching the gasket's PH, and thusly ruining it. Or something to that effect. IPB Image

Jen
andys
QUOTE (914RS @ Feb 1 2005, 09:39 AM)
I don't recommend an Explorer.

My friend was gracious enough to pull me to Ft. Worth and back for the dip, but with a 2000# trailer carrying a 450# car it was a little scary.

No surprise. That looks like the Exploere XLS. Short wheelbase model sure to have poor stability (short, high, & narrow). I own a standard wheelbase Explorer with tow package. Fine for towing smaller stuff, though has plenty of power to pull a heavier load (I think that fools some people). Narrow track, and high CG doesn't make for a good tow vehicle. Oh, the brakes are horrible on the Explorer.....certainly don't inspire any confidence in sudden situations, even without a trailer.

I tow-dollied my 914 a relatively short distance. Yeah, the low ground clearance concerned me; more so with high-centering it onto the tow dolly, than anything else. Of course backing up with a tow dolly is nearly impossible; a huge limitation IMO.

Andy
type11969
flat towed my 914 with my chrysler about 200 miles. No problems and at times I wondered what the hell the moron was thinking that was tailing me so close. Then I realized I was an idiot.
Rusty
QUOTE (Special_K @ Feb 1 2005, 06:08 AM)
QUOTE (Neo914 @ Feb 1 2005, 12:28 AM)
MattR,

I meant in ONE piece!   IPB Image

CRAP!!

Another load of 914 bits I could've used! IPB Image

Stop the maddness CA guys, the midwest needs your leftovers! IPB Image

Back to the topic:

I'd trust my (wife's) Jeep Cherokee to tow just about anything that weighed less than it.

Neo,

Do you need some metal? I made an offer on that car, and might have some to share.

-Rusty IPB Image
neo914-6
Neo,

Do you need some metal? I made an offer on that car, and might have some to share.

-Rusty  

I recently bought a parts car and will need to get rid of what's left in a few weeks. It's contributing it's body parts to alot of 914s! IPB Image
Oled
You could probably get a good deal on a Jeep Cherokee Sport. All of them with the inline 4.0 six and automatic transmission (either 2wd or 4wd) with tow package are rated at 5,000 pounds.
TimT
I've heard several claims that the V6's blow head gaskets around 60Kmiles

The head gasket in my truck let go at around 80K I was told by Toyota that the new head gaskets were improved compared to the old ones.. There was a TSB about the V6 head gaskets, anyway the Toyota powertrain warranty is 100K miles so yyou should be covered unless the truck has over 100K, I dont know if there is a time limit for the head gasket replacement.

I loved my 4 runner, It just didnt have the balls to trailer. When I started doing alot of traileringh/racing I had to upgrade to something with serious power (Ford F250 diesel)
Joe Bob
My Dakota has towed Manfred on a trailer with out a hiccup....full tow package, smog legal Supercharger and a 360 V8....The trailer now belongs to SKLINE and the truck is for sale.....hint hint.....

I also have a four wheel steering Yukon with the 6.0 big block....don't even feel a trailer behind it....
d914
this is a little over kill but the new tacoma and or a used Tundra would work great. I used to have a tundra, great truck.
Gint
Smallest tow rig I ever used was my Jeep Cherokee (with 4.5" lift at the time). Hauled a 914 on a car dolly from L.A. to Denver with no issues at all. But it was January so the weather was cool. And I didn't cross the Divide on I-70, so the major mountain crossing was the Wasatch range on I80. Only 9000' or so there instead of the 11.5k' over I-70.
URY914
See if you can find one of these. Maybe on German Ebay...
URY914
Or maybe the Brumos rig...
ajracer
Just my two cents worth !

Last JUNE 2004 I used a 2002 Pontiac Montana mini-van to bring back from
Florida my newly acquired 1974 Teener. A total distance of 1700 miles to
Toronto from Orlando, with a rented "Tow Dolly" from Uhaul for the sum of
$ 275.00 Driving with a loaded vehicle and the 914 was no problem as long
as you are attentive and don't need to do any panic braking. Lets put it this
way taveling North of the I75 a few drivers can testify that they were passed
by a Porsche going backward at 70 mph (on the trailer of course). Anyway it
worked out fine since we removed the front brake calipers to prevent any
possbile problems in towing long distance. Looking back now it may not be
the normal way to transport a vehicle but it worked fine for me. All the best

Allan
dan10101
Ok, I'll take a chance...

I'm thinking of getting an El Camino. I just hate trucks. What can I say. That's just me. So I've been wanting a muscle car and need someting to tow with. So I'm looking at a 66-72 El Camino. I'll have to do some modifications to make me feel better about towing with it, but so far I've heard good feedback.

Bigger brakes, probably an air bag system, level III trailer hitch, Better engine cooling and trannie cooler. I figure I'll have to tow at least 4,000 pounds. Depending on the type of trailer.

Flame suit on.. ar15.gif

My inspriation is a pair on ebay. Both 9 sec quarter milers.
curtis
QUOTE (Jenny @ Feb 1 2005, 09:49 AM)
QUOTE (Rotten Robby @ Feb 1 2005, 06:36 AM)

Sorry to hijack, I'm seriously considering selling my Chevy Silverado for something more economical and fuel efficient, like a 4Runner. I've heard the V6's have a head gasket problem. Yea or nay?

Jen

I have a 02 4-RUNNER with 29,000 on it did the toyota tech mention anything about the later 4-RUNNERS? unsure.gif
Otmar
QUOTE (dan10101 @ Feb 1 2005, 08:30 PM)

I'm thinking of getting an El Camino.

You're worried about a ElCamino? Those things are plenty overkill.
Last time I went to Oregon this is how it went. With a 2.0L ABA motor.
I did manage to pass 2 trucks in 1500 miles on the climbs. 12,000 lbs gross on the way home. laugh.gif
Don't try this at home....
dan10101
Thanks Othmar, I saw your settup at WCC2004. It's no lightweight. Pretty impressive towing. Maybe I'll weld 2 El Caminos together ohmy.gif
Howard
Pretty sure this won't fly with this group, but new and cheap, look at Kia Sorrento. 20k list (and they haggle pretty well) gets you everything from curtain airbags to 100k/10yr warranty. 3500# tow cap plus 1200# cargo. 5spd/2wd is the best setup for towing.
Looks enough like a Cayenne so you can get it in black and fake the logos wacko.gif
Sorrento
bd1308
try a 914 2.0L .....
Joe Bob
QUOTE (dan10101 @ Feb 1 2005, 07:30 PM)

I'm thinking of getting an El Camino. I just hate trucks. What can I say. That's just me. So I've been wanting a muscle car and need someting to tow with. So I'm looking at a 66-72 El Camino. I'll have to do some modifications to make me feel better about towing with it, but so far I've heard good feedback.

Bigger brakes, probably an air bag system, level III trailer hitch, Better engine cooling and trannie cooler. I figure I'll have to tow at least 4,000 pounds. Depending on the type of trailer.

Flame suit on.. ar15.gif

Local guy has a nice 72 el camino here for sale. It has an old timer hot rod 350 checvy in it...the builder is pretty famous. Jeonks or something like that...he did a few Bonneville Racers, aluminum heads and a new rtrans...$7500.00, needs ome cosmetic work but no rust. Lemme know if ya wanna number.
Rgreen914
QUOTE (dan10101 @ Feb 1 2005, 07:30 PM)

Flame suit on.. ar15.gif

dan 10101

Many years ago I towed an engine-less, '63 Max Wedge Dodge with a '67 Elco; I used a tandem axle trailer and only towed it about 70 miles. My Elco had 9-passenger wagon rear springs, a 12-bolt rear end with TRW lower control arms and a sway bar; I even had shortened, big-block front springs while running a small-block motor. It was a white-knuckle trip home, as the car and trailer would easily over-react to every steering imput! You might fare better towing a much lighter car but this set-up is anything but ideal. The rig pictured is pretty, but I would bet the car and trailer far outweigh the Elco which would make for treacherous handling! On the other end of the spectrum, I once towed my teener on a U-haul trailer using a dually and experienced nary a problem cool.gif

Ron
bondo
QUOTE (dan10101 @ Feb 1 2005, 08:30 PM)

I'm thinking of getting an El Camino.

Don't forget to grow a mullet! aktion035.gif
dan10101
QUOTE (Rgreen914 @ Feb 1 2005, 08:44 PM)
Many years ago I towed an engine-less, '63 Max Wedge Dodge

drooley.gif drooley.gif drooley.gif

Max Wedge Rocks!

I hear what you're saying. I know things have to be perfect with the setup. Proper tongue weight, balance on the trailer and so on.

Thanks for the input.

Dan,
Mulletless and staying that way, My wife won't let me go even 6 weeks without a hair cut. And I don't have that much to begin with.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.