Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What's the smallest yet safest tow vehicle...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
dan10101
QUOTE (mikez @ Feb 1 2005, 08:40 PM)

Local guy has a nice 72 el camino here for sale. It has an old timer hot rod 350 checvy in it...the builder is pretty famous. Jeonks or something like that...he did a few Bonneville Racers, aluminum heads and a new rtrans...$7500.00, needs ome cosmetic work but no rust. Lemme know if ya wanna number.

If it happens I need to sell one of my 951's That's the hard part. Even though our garage add on will be done soon, she still won't allow but one toy car. I'm still in the shopping browsing mode.

The whole plan is to be able to tow a car to the track. Then, tow it home if something breaks. The cars would still be street driven, (I think..)

Andyrew
I'm thinking of getting an El Camino. I just hate trucks. What can I say. That's just me

So what did he do when I was lookin for my first car? Tell me to get a truck....

Uh huh!!!!!! Riiiiiiiight.. wacko.gif

The whole plan is to be able to tow a car to the track. Then, tow it home if something breaks. The cars would still be street driven, (I think..)

Still street driven, but much less street legal!!! cool.gif
neo914-6
Man Great ideas!

El Camino~$5-10k
used Toyota 4runner, Ford Explorer~$10-15k
ML430/320, Japanese "Cayenne"~$20-25k
The Porsche transporter~$40-50k?
Otmars zipped van: priceless

Anyone make trailer use of one of these Mitsubishi cab over diesels? Build a long ramp and it MAY just fit a 914. On CL for $5500...
Otmar
QUOTE (Neo914 @ Feb 2 2005, 12:53 AM)
El Camino~$5-10k
used Toyota 4runner, Ford Explorer~$10-15k
ML430/320, Japanese "Cayenne"~$20-25k
The Porsche transporter~$40-50k?
Otmars zipped van: priceless

Cute. cool.gif

I've often considered using my machine shop for the 914 instead, I'd just have to find a place for my mill and lathe. It has a cummins 4cyl turbo diesel. Rev limited at 61 mph but gets along pretty well with 3500 lbs of machine tools in it.
Here's the inside
I haven't measured, but I'm pretty sure the 914 would fit.
Here it is the night I bought it years ago for $5K.
bondo
QUOTE (Otmar @ Feb 2 2005, 01:38 AM)

I've often considered using my machine shop for the 914 instead, I'd just have to find a place for my mill and lathe. It has a cummins 4cyl turbo diesel. Rev limited at 61 mph but gets along pretty well with 3500 lbs of machine tools in it.
Here's the inside
I haven't measured, but I'm pretty sure the 914 would fit.
Here it is the night I bought it years ago for $5K.

Oh my gosh, that is SO awesome! Do you make house calls? smile.gif
Joe Bob
How about just flat towing? I did it with the Rocket for years....
neo914-6
Otmar,
What's your van's mnft? How high is the floor and what about the wheel wells?

Mike,
Are you talking tow bar? How'd you rig that?
Otmar
QUOTE (bondo @ Feb 2 2005, 08:33 AM)
Oh my gosh, that is SO awesome! Do you make house calls? smile.gif

It's a little less awesome when you have to spend a hour getting it every time you want to do something on the mill. I used to have a shop, but then the rents here got absurd and I bought the van instead. House calls? Those went out in the 60s laugh.gif
If that were my business it would be fun to make house calls.
Otmar
QUOTE (Neo914 @ Feb 2 2005, 11:58 AM)
Otmar,
What's your van's mnft?  How high is the floor and what about the wheel wells?

It's a 87 Chevy Grumman Curbmaster Step Van. 26' long overall. (It's harder to find these longer ones). It has about 160K miles on the Cummins 4cyl turbo, just broken in.

The floor is pretty low. I park it out on ElCamino where it's legal to park oversize, so I don't have it here to measure. I'll try to measure it next time I drive by. The wheel wells are about a foot over the floor, but are far enough forward that if the car went in on ramps that contiuned on up as they went forward then I don't think the wheel wells would be in the way at all. Also there would be plenty of room for tools and sleeping under the front of the car.

Also, Previous thread on tow bars
And pictures on my tow bar here.

hth,
bondo
QUOTE (Otmar @ Feb 2 2005, 12:16 PM)

But where would you plug it in? You'd have to rig some big alligator clamps, climb a pole, and jack into the grid.. If anyone can pull that off, it's you... You'd probably even have the caps on hand to keep the phase correct smile.gif
smg914
I've been towing 914's since 1996 using a Jeep Cherokee. The only thing I had to do to this 1999 model was add air shocks to the rear. A very inexpensive vehicle with a 5000 pound towing capacity.
smg914
Another shot.
Andy
I'll second (fifth, whatever) towing behind a Jeep (I always had Grands or Cherokees, 4.0 is good the V8s are better and usually have better brakes). I flat-tow my rag top jeep on I70 over the continental divide every year or so (Moab!) and it probably weighs on the high side of 4k. And I have towed my 914 across the state behind a 4.7l Grand Cherokee with a 3200# trailer with no issue... Other than "kissing" the trailer into a Jersy Barrier at 80mph, pretty sparks! Uhaul didn't say anything about using the Jeep to tow, or even about the mark on their pretty galvanized trailer!

If you're in the market for something new, the Liberty's (personally I don't like the look) are getting the Mercedes 2.8l CRD 160hp, 295#ft of torque!
Otmar
QUOTE (bondo @ Feb 2 2005, 12:26 PM)
QUOTE (Otmar @ Feb 2 2005, 12:16 PM)

But where would you plug it in? You'd have to rig some big alligator clamps, climb a pole, and jack into the grid.. If anyone can pull that off, it's you... You'd probably even have the caps on hand to keep the phase correct smile.gif

Minor Hijack here....
Actually I got tired of having to drag out the 240V cable to plug it in, so the mill now has a 120 input to 3 phase 220V output motor drive running it. Only cost a couple hundred on sale. Sure is sweet to just drag out one 120V cord to run the shop. Someday I may put an inverter and battery bank in it, then I could use it anywhere!
We now return to the Tow Rig discussion....
neo914-6
Ok, I've looked into hitches and towbars that I "may" be able to fit on my 3.6 I6 Benz. Do these ratings apply to flat tow (all wheels on ground) or to weight of trailer and car? confused24.gif If the later, then it is not enough...
WEIGHT CARRYING RATINGS
GROSS WEIGHT CAPACITY 2000
TONGUE WEIGHT CAPACITY 200

Felix,

Have you seen Haydens trailer?

Comprised of bonded aluminum that he designed and built himself (I'm sure Tracy helped  )

If you designed and built it just right, it could be stowed away easily when not in use.

Mike,
Who's Hayden and what does the trailer look like? confused24.gif
dan10101
Felix,
You'll need a class III hitch. Usually they have over 350# tounge weight and 3000+ trailer weight. Usually they are 5000#.

You're Benz may not be listed, but this will give you an idea.

Some Class III hitches

The hitch ratings are the same either way flat or trailer. Flat towing, usualy has very little tounge weight and obiously less total weight so you can get by with a class II hitch in some cases.

EdwardBlume
I towed a 1200 lb trailer and a 914 with a 2000 4Runner with very little difficulty. You can get the same 4Runner now for about $10-15k. I did have to wire it for the 7pin conversion and I did have brakes on the trailer. It has a tow transmission switch to up the RPMs. The only knock was the rear shocks sag but at 50k miles that was understandable. A trailer will extend out further than the 4Runner wheels.

The key if you want to go light, is buy a light trailer.

Jen, the old 3.0 V-6s had the gasket problems (90-95). The newer V-6s don't have any problems.

The 22RE is a 4 banger... and yes it was a bullet proof engine.

Jenny
Can't afford a newer V6. It's alright. I looked at an 86 last night that looks promising. 22RE, same as in Brian's truck. If I ever need parts, I'll just steal them from his truck. happy11.gif

Jen
Quilmes
Here is a photo of my 914 on a small trailer, I used it for a while till I could buy my own.
It towed really well and was light. My Izusu did well with it's V-6.

Quilmes
neo914-6
I just found out my old Mazda MPV 3.0V6 which I sold to my stepson has a 3500lb tow hitch. I regret selling it to him for cheap. confused24.gif Mueller said I could borrow his trailer so I think I am SET! smilie_pokal.gif

I just hope it doesn't overheat as it did years ago carrying 7 of us over the grapevine. ohmy.gif 101 to 1 doesn't have much elevation, does it?
Hawktel
I pulled my a Suzuki samuri from Utah to portland behind a S10 with the 2.8 6. It blew. I hated that truck.

I've pulled a 914 on a trailer behind my Wrangler with the inline 6. Just for a short distance, 30 miles.

It worked better than I thought it would. Its not the safest thing in the world.
balljoint
I pull my 914 on a U-Haul Auto Transporter pulled by my 4x4 s-10 extendy-cab with the trailer pkg. My truck is rated for and has a class III hitch, I can pull 5000 lbs and U-Haul has no problem with it.

The V6 ticks just over 2000 rpms cruising at 120.

dheinz
Here's my rig. These Isuzu trucks (1995- 1998) are available in the $7K range. They are very reliable and get 11-14 mpg. I use mine every day and it's comfortable to be in and drive. It will cruise at 65mph all day but is governed at 72 mph.
Rhodes71/914
QUOTE (dheinz @ Mar 5 2005, 05:10 PM)
Here's my rig. These Isuzu trucks (1995- 1998) are available in the $7K range. They are very reliable and get 11-14 mpg. I use mine every day and it's comfortable to be in and drive. It will cruise at 65mph all day but is governed at 72 mph.

Really $7000. What is the model and any idea where a good place to look for one is on the west coast?
Type 4
Get something with IH on the name plate. I put 8000lbs of weight in the bed my old truck a IH 1956 R120 .(The unladen weight 3400 lbs.) and hauled it to the dump.
Eddie914
A Seattle PCA member pulls his 914/6 behind his 1980s BMW 635csi.

He has one of the lighted trailers I've ever seen. He brought back from France on his return with the military. The frame is made of wide "U" shaped channels that double as the tire beds. Double axle with 13" 4 lug wheels.

Eddie
carr914
Go with the El Camino. I've had two SS's and loved them. I towed my 914 with my 72 with both Sahara Beige Steve's steel trailer and my aluminum Trailex. The only problem I ever had was a airshock line blew out once. I replaced in about 2 minutes. I sold the El Camino and the Trailex when I bought my house 3 years ago. A friend bought the El Camino and now he trailers his Corvette with it. With El Camino look under the removable panel in the bed for rust. If rust is in there run - it's worse than a hell hole.
T.C.
Type 4
I would never tow with a anything but a Full floating rear axle.
I had an axle break on a chevy half ton while towing.
Never again will I risk my safety or the safety of others on the road.
neo914-6
QUOTE (dheinz @ Mar 5 2005, 05:10 PM)

Really $7000. What is the model and any idea where a good place to look for one is on the west coast

I saw a high mileage one for ~5k in the SF bay area Craigslist. I like them...
Dr. Roger
QUOTE (Jenny @ Feb 1 2005, 10:01 AM)
I'm looking for one around early to mid 90's. My boyfriend swears by the 22RE. I've heard several claims that the V6's blow head gaskets around 60Kmiles, and will need replacing every additional 60. Needless to say, there would be no warranty on a craigslist purchase. dry.gif

I spoke to a toyota mech, and he says it got something to do with the coolant's PH eventually matching the gasket's PH, and thusly ruining it. Or something to that effect. wacko.gif

Jen

Jennys hijack response.

I had a 22RE 4X4 and because I didn't stay on top or replacing the anti corossive coolant the aluminum did eat away at the water jackets and eventually made the head useless.

I'm on my second Tacoma 4X4 with a 22RE. Reason is THEY ARE AWESOME. =-)
300K on the first. almost 200K on this one. Still looks good. Drives like new. Better actually with gas struts and shocks.

I towed about 3000lbs of water and camp supplies to Burning Man the last 2 years with that truck. Taking it easy and a down shift or two was the only drawbacks to the big 4 cyl engine.

Because it's my daily driver I love the MPG #. biggrin.gif
neo914-6
Gotta add John Kelly's transporter... smilie_pokal.gif
avendlerdp
I am going off the map here. My tow car is a 1986 Mercedes 560 SEC. Huge 4 wheel discs, self leveling suspension, 285 hp, and a plush interior makes this the best long distance tow car ever. It easily tugs 4000lbs but one needs to keep the tongue weight under 700lbs.

THese are cheap too. 7k gets you a nice one.

Alex
Dead Air
850 miles or so...not good on hills. 22R four cylinder
URY914
I knew of a guy from Atlanta that would tow his 914 racer on a single axle trailer behind his 928. ohmy.gif

Paul
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ Feb 1 2005, 12:46 PM)
U-haul won't even talk to you if you have a Ford Explorer.
Yet they said a 93 Ranger would be just fine. confused24.gif ranger has smaller brakes lighter drive line and Less vehicle weight.

I used to haul a boat with more toungue weight than a teenerin my ranger...

thing is this: explorers are built like a car chassis, Rangers are built on a truck platform...

expeditions is where I think Ford started making the SUVs more like Trucks...

a Chevy suburban can tow a LOT too.
914forme
Listing of vehicles tow ratings and state laws.

These are geared toward us boaters but useful none the less.

My 2003 Silverado will get 21 MPG all day long towing it drops, but it is a fine vehical for towing and way better than towing with Astro and better mileage too boot.

Nick
I towed my 914 with a '95 Land Rover Disco with no problems. I bought the Disco for 4K two years ago. Not bad price for a comfortable tow vehicle. Only down side is terrible gas mileage. I'm luck to see anything above 13 mpg.

Nick
Midtowner
Umm go easy on that 22R! I used to sell remanufactured 22R's and have seen plenty of rods punching through the block. Don't get me wrong - it's a great engine, just stroked a wee bit too much for towing and high torque conditions. driving.gif
Mr.C
QUOTE (Nick @ Jul 14 2005, 07:10 AM)
I towed my 914 with a '95 Land Rover Disco with no problems. I bought the Disco for 4K two years ago. Not bad price for a comfortable tow vehicle. Only down side is terrible gas mileage. I'm luck to see anything above 13 mpg.

Nick

I got a 95 too and man does the mileage suck! I was thinking of towing with it, but all I want to do now is get rid of it. 3.9 V8 and I have seen as little as 9mpg around town. Can't imagine what towing mpg would be like.
messix
light weights happy11.gif

this is the minimum
neo914-6
QUOTE (messix @ Jul 14 2005, 11:08 PM)
light weights happy11.gif

this is the minimum

clap.gif that could pull a fleet of 914's! laugh.gif
Nick
[QUOTE=Cabasa,Jul 14 2005, 10:14 PM]Nick [/QUOTE]
I got a 95 too and man does the mileage suck! I was thinking of towing with it, but all I want to do now is get rid of it. 3.9 V8 and I have seen as little as 9mpg around town. Can't imagine what towing mpg would be like.[/QUOTE]
[/QUOTE]
I guess the mileage is so bad on the Disco that you don't really notice a difference when towing. It was about 13 mpg on the highway at about 60 - 65 mph
grantsfo
I was just reading that the new Hyundai Elantra has a very high tow rating, but you know it just wouldnt be right to tow a 914 with a Hyundai. I'm looking at a Honda Ridgeline as a possibility. Its about the only truck my wife is willing to drive. I'm also thinking a used BMW or Mercedes SUV would be nice - boat loads of them under $20K. Cayenne still is a bit high - I found a couple in the high $30 K range - talk about plumeting resale value! Ouch! Also twisted part of me wants to get a Dodge Magnum with a V8.

After hauling a t4 engine in the back of my Toyota Echo yesterday I realized I really need somthing more practical now that I'm getting into 914's again.
neo914-6
QUOTE (grantsfo @ Jul 15 2005, 09:50 AM)
I was just reading that the new Hyundai Elantra has a very high tow rating, but you know it just wouldnt be right to tow a 914 with a Hyundai. I'm looking at a Honda Ridgeline as a possibility. Its about the only truck my wife is willing to drive. I'm also thinking a used BMW or Mercedes SUV would be nice - boat loads of them under $20K. Cayenne still is a bit high - I found a couple in the high $30 K range - talk about plumeting resale value! Ouch! Also twisted part of me wants to get a Dodge Magnum with a V8.

After hauling a t4 engine in the back of my Toyota Echo yesterday I realized I really need somthing more practical now that I'm getting into 914's again.

Don't tell that to Howard's "Attilla the Huyn"

The sensible thing to do is get a Japanese truck or SUV. I've found alot of people balance the "project" car with a no-maint truck or SUV. Plus these could be used for daily commuters so they are multi-functional.

The other sensible thing is just to rent or borrow when-ever you need to haul or transport. How often will the tow hitch or truck bed be used?

On the other hand, I love Mercedes engineering and plan to get a used ML 430. On the sedans the V8's gas consumption was not much more than I6's. The unknown threshold for "high" mileage has owners selling them cheap with alot of miles left in them.

Nick
I was just looking at magnum specs and the are rated at 2000 lbs for towing. Doesn't seem like enough, but I like em. Had one as a rental car loads of fun turning of the traction control and hanging the tail out. I thought a ridgeline would be interesting until I saw one in the flesh. The sides of the bed are so high it would be a pain in the butt get anything in it.

Nick
grantsfo
QUOTE (Nick @ Jul 15 2005, 12:12 PM)
I was just looking at magnum specs and the are rated at 2000 lbs for towing. Doesn't seem like enough, but I like em. Had one as a rental car loads of fun turning of the traction control and hanging the tail out. I thought a ridgeline would be interesting until I saw one in the flesh. The sides of the bed are so high it would be a pain in the butt get anything in it.

Nick

Magnum with V8 and tow package can handle 3800 lbs.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.