Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Steel GT Bumper Fabrication
ConeDodger
post Jan 8 2015, 08:37 PM
Post #21

Apex killer!

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(TJB/914 @ Jan 8 2015, 02:28 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jan 8 2015, 03:36 PM) *

as of this morning, it became mine! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

Serious cheese in this though between the bumper, the modifications, and the straightening and rechroming! I'm very excited as I think this will be a very good edition to my car! Plus, it might solve a problem. I have high oil temps according to my new 'John' triple gauge. We have to figure out if it is a sender-match problem or simply not enough air to the front cooler?

Anyone want a perfectly good chrome front bumper with 914Rubber fake titties? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Rob,
Beautiful 914 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif) Is it finished now?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)
Tom

Blizz, there's always something! I plan on replacing the seats with GTS Classic Nurbergrings. Mark's going to do a top end rebuild and then, I'll put a bigger throttle body and a Steve Wong chip in it, but it is essentially finished.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
laflaur
post Jan 8 2015, 10:49 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 6,186

Start with the gauge...just sayin
+Quote Post
raynekat
post Jan 9 2015, 02:00 AM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,263
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jan 8 2015, 12:36 PM) *

as of this morning, it became mine! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

Serious cheese in this though between the bumper, the modifications, and the straightening and rechroming! I'm very excited as I think this will be a very good edition to my car! Plus, it might solve a problem. I have high oil temps according to my new 'John' triple gauge. We have to figure out if it is a sender-match problem or simply not enough air to the front cooler?

Anyone want a perfectly good chrome front bumper with 914Rubber fake titties? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Is there a link to your build....or additional pics anywhere? Thx
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Jan 9 2015, 09:42 AM
Post #24

Apex killer!

QUOTE(raynekat @ Jan 9 2015, 12:00 AM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jan 8 2015, 12:36 PM) *

Is there a link to your build....or additional pics anywhere? Thx

Yes. Most of the evolution of my car is contained in a thread called "just another damned project thread" which if you search with Conedodger as the member name should be in the top results.
+Quote Post
NS914
post Jan 9 2015, 10:01 AM
Post #25

Member No.: 10,455
Region Association: Canada

Rob,
Beautiful 914 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif) Is it finished now?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)
Tom

I was just going to say the same...beautiful car...really love those wheels!!!

Grant
+Quote Post
GermermanCarGuy
post Jan 9 2015, 01:30 PM
Post #26

GermanCarGuy

Member No.: 17,346
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 20 2014, 11:27 AM) *

We just did a steel GT bumper modification, and in fact we've done a few of these now and have a few more on the table. Thought I'd share pics, including a couple of the process. This one took 14h to do, but I think it's worth it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif)

They look real good. Can you post a mock up template with measurements? It would help others (like me) who don't have an original to work off of.

Next...looking to learn how to mold standard rockers into GT rockers. I'll be needing to do that soon enough.
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Jan 9 2015, 04:04 PM
Post #27

Apex killer!

QUOTE(colingreene @ Jan 8 2015, 05:23 PM) *

Actually, i could use a front bumper.
Let me know what the story is, with shipping/payment stuff like that.

Hey Colin,
send me a PM...
+Quote Post
McMark
post Feb 23 2015, 01:26 PM
Post #28

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

Just got it back from chrome. Used Ogden Chrome. Not cheap by any means, but it looks super fantastic in person and it'll last as long as the original bumper. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
JmuRiz
post Feb 23 2015, 02:09 PM
Post #29

914 Guru

Member No.: 50
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Very nice!!!
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Feb 23 2015, 02:43 PM
Post #30

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Feb 23 2015, 04:58 PM
Post #31

Michael

Member No.: 9,712

That looks very familiar to me. Mine is just not in chrome yet.... McMark- what did it cost to chrome that baby if you don't mind saying.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
eric9144
post Feb 23 2015, 05:38 PM
Post #32

Advanced Member

Member No.: 12,876
Region Association: Southern California

Allrighty so when does the group buy start? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Feb 23 2015, 06:10 PM
Post #33

Apex killer!

Must be close to time for my 914 to come down to the OC! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)
+Quote Post
McMark
post Feb 23 2015, 08:50 PM
Post #34

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

A stock bumper is cheaper to chrome because they don't have to 'work' the part as much. Good chrome shops will address the steel condition first, then 'copper strike' it a few times much like body filler before paint. Then the part is nickel plated, and finally chrome. The part is sanded and fully polished in between each step/coating.

Because of the welding involved in making this custom bumper, the steel needs a fair amount of attention before the 'chroming' process even starts. So this guy was about $1k to chrome.

I know about half of you just fell over. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/yikes.gif)
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Feb 23 2015, 08:55 PM
Post #35

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179

QUOTE(McMark @ Feb 23 2015, 06:50 PM) *

A stock bumper is cheaper to chrome because they don't have to 'work' the part as much. Good chrome shops will address the steel condition first, then 'copper strike' it a few times much like body filler before paint. Then the part is nickel plated, and finally chrome. The part is sanded and fully polished in between each step/coating.

Because of the welding involved in making this custom bumper, the steel needs a fair amount of attention before the 'chroming' process even starts. So this guy was about $1k to chrome.

I know about half of you just fell over. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/yikes.gif)

I was sitting down ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Feb 23 2015, 08:56 PM
Post #36

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(McMark @ Feb 23 2015, 09:50 PM) *

One of the reasons I'm going satin black. But it does look nice.
+Quote Post
Socalandy
post Feb 23 2015, 10:51 PM
Post #37

Its got to be Yellow!!!

Member No.: 10,742
Region Association: Southern California

Amazing work (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif) I want to have mine done!!!
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Feb 24 2015, 12:20 AM
Post #38

Apex killer!

QUOTE(McMark @ Feb 23 2015, 06:50 PM) *

I was warned in advance... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Feb 24 2015, 12:28 AM
Post #39

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

The last thing I had done at Ogden Chrome was a black chrome job done on the rear bumper of my 70 GTO. It was about 200 bucks in 92... plus it helps having friends that work there. At the time, it was only 15 minutes away and I'd trade exhaust work with him. Now it's about an hour away and apparently a bit more expensive! Don't know if there's anyone there I still know or not... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Feb 24 2015, 08:15 AM
Post #40

Michael

Member No.: 9,712

It certainly seems they did a nice job by preparing it between each step of the chrome. I have seem some pretty poor chrome jobs on these bumpers. I will be curious to see what it costs back on the east coast to get mine chromed. I actually was thinking around here it would be $750 so $1K is not that bad considering the extra work for the oil cooler opening.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th May 2024 - 06:40 AM