Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 914World Classifieds Rules

We've established the following rules to help make your sales/purchases as successful as possible!
- Please List WTB:, FS:, TRADE: etc (want to buy, for sale, and trade respectively) before your add title.
- You *must* put a price in your ad and state how you would like payment!
- If you'd like to bump your ads, feel free to do so every two days.
- DO NOT MAKE YOUR ADS IN ALL CAPITAL LETTERS! It's considered rude.
- All eBay ads belong in the eBay category.
- Please consolidate your ads into one big lump... listings and pictures together in one thread. Please be considerate of other classified users!!
- Mark your items "SOLD" once you sell them. Please do not ask to have ads removed. Ads will automatically hide themselves after 30 days. We also ask that you leave your pricing in the ads to help others determine fair market value for future sales.

> 2258 4cyl engine- nice parts, almost plug n play, Engine, Carbs, Headers, Exhaust...
tornik550
post Dec 7 2014, 05:57 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,486
Region Association: None

I had not planned on getting rid of this engine however I saw a 6 cyl posted in the classified section and figured it would be fun to change directions. I rebuild this engine in 2011/2012. I have put about 1-2000 miles on it since then. The engine runs well and puts a smile on your face when the carbs are tuned. Over the passed year I had been having issues with the mixture always being rich. I had tried many different remedies and nothing worked. In October 2014 I realize that my fuel pressure gauge was stuck and three psi. I thought the fuel pressure was appropriate however when I purchased a new gauge I found that the pressure was at almost 6psi. I have fixed that problem by purchasing a new regulator however I have not had time to retune the engine using the correct fuel pressure (fuel gauge and regulator not included in sale).

Problems
-a few oil leaks here and there. For the most part they never bothered me so I never tried to fix them. The drivers side valve cover seems to leak a little. No a huge amount however when it does it drips right onto a header pipe. I drove me nuts and I wasn't able to fix the issue so I just built a little shield to deflect the oil away from the pipe.
-cooling fan has one broken fin (from everything I see, one broken fin is not an issue)
-I currently do not have the carbs setup the correct jetting (haven't had time to fix). Somebody better than me needs to tune them.

Positives
-nice setup, fun to drive, many expensive parts
-I always had very good oil pressure
-oil temps always good however I do have an external oil cooler (not included)
-Almost plug n play

Items needed to run engine in a 914
-a 914 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
-ENGINE TIN (2.0l style)
-Oil pressure sender
-oil (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
-Spark plugs
-ignition coil
-I cannot think of anything else it needs however there may be something small here or there but i don't think so. Other than the stuff mentioned above, it should be plug n play assuming that you have a 914 with the normal relay board, wiring harness...

Disclaimer- I built this engine for myself. I tried to do a very precise job. I feel that I did a decent job building the engine however I am absolutely not a professional. The engine was running fine with the exception of the fuel mixture issues. I feel this can be worked out by someone who can tune carbs. I simply haven't had time to play with them since I found my fuel pressure issue- all of that being said- I am no expert.

Bottom line- I feel good about the engine however even if you do not like my engine building abilities- the parts alone are worth way more than the sale price.

78mm counterweighted crankshaft
9.5:1 compression ratio
5.3" con rods
Arp rod bolts
Scat c45 camshaft
Double thrust camshaft bearings
Chromoly pushrods
911 style valve adjusters
Universal vw case- was nos at rebuild- galleys tapped and plugged
KB 96mm pistons with valve pockets
Hastings rings
European motorworks 96mm cylinder jugs (new at rebuild)
New at rebuild AMC cylinder heads (porsche 2.0 configuration) with 12mm spark plug holes, 44intake/38exhaust valves, CNC ported, dual valve springs.
Dual Weber IDF carbs (1year old)
ITG foam carb filters
Tunacan oil sump
Mallory adjustable distributor
Clewett spark plug wires
CSP bellcrank carb linkage
Triad headers (1 5/8" pipes)
Triad dual tip exhaust
75amp alternator
Includes flywheel, cluch pressure plate
30mm Schadek oil pump

Asking price $3000 obo. Will ship within the continental US at your expense- or of coarse local pick up.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
tornik550   2258 4cyl engine- nice parts, almost plug n play   Dec 7 2014, 05:57 PM
euro911   That's a nice motor for that price.   Dec 7 2014, 07:36 PM
tornik550   Price change- Now asking $3000   Dec 9 2014, 02:17 PM
tornik550   Sold pending payment   Dec 14 2014, 07:17 PM
lonewolfe   That's a sweet deal someone got!   Dec 15 2014, 12:41 AM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 04:46 PM