Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Car has spark! My suby setup, Now just dbl checking all wires to be sure load are good before running
Subietech
post Dec 22 2014, 08:20 AM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,243
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I'd like to clear things up a bit…..I can say without a doubt that there has NOT been any smoke or fire since I've been working on it.

I removed the stereo and accessories ports to be sure that they were not drawing a load. Now its just the cars main harness and ECU..

The Battery is grounded correctly, The ECU is grounded directly to the battery and the fuel pump is grounded. I've even replace the transmission to chassis ground

The fire was centered around the battery and I feel like it was caused by a cable rubbing on the oversized battery tie down and shorting out. That sent the heat up to the ECU via a horribly routed wire harness and down to the firewall where the main harness exits the cabin. It was all one big melted mess of wires. Everything has been cleaned up and patched properly.

My next step is to replace the ignition, check the main Yellow wire for anything that looks suspect and ad a 30amp fuse to both the fuel pump and the starter and of course, continue to look for a bad ground while Im in the dash.

Mike

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
timothy_nd28
post Dec 22 2014, 09:29 AM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,154
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I'm with Tom on this one. There seems to be a underline issue here which needs to be gone through by a experienced electrician.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Dec 22 2014, 10:02 AM
Post #23

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

Tom makes the point again. You need ohmic values to aid in making a decision. Question for Subietech: How many grounds were added to his set up and where are they located. I'm sure that you know what I'm going to say in that you work on the Vanagon conversions. I ran lots of extra grounds for 2 reasons. #1- I'm not the smartest guy on the block and I knew grounds were important on modern vehicles so I'm sure I did an overkill on grounds. #2- I chained my grounds per TOM's suggestion. Although I consider Kugel one of the alleged "rust free" 914's (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) I "know" what the metal looks like at the seams and spot welds so I couldn't trust one body panel to properly transfer the ground to another body panel. Sounds like he had 2 problems. The short at the batt cable makes sense. And the ign switch appears to be another problem but a problem indeed! Hope you can stick around on this board. We can use a REAL Suby mechanic on this Porsche forum. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
+Quote Post
JRust
post Dec 22 2014, 10:53 AM
Post #24

914 Guru

Member No.: 129

I feel good about Mike at Subietech. He is no stranger to electrical & wiring. I posted a thread to help get ideas for where to look as he is new to 914's. We've got a few days with xmas where it will be sitting until he is back to work on it. Just making sure we attack it the right way.

I'm not looking to cut any corners here. I want it done right which is why I took I to Mike to begin with. I fully admit I am no great shakes as a wrench. I can pull things apart & put them back together. Troubleshooting is not my strong suit. Especially when it comes to electrical. Which is why I am asking to begin with. Not only to make sure we get to the problem. But also to get a better understanding of it. Doesn't do me much good to have something fixed & have no clue how it was done. Anytime I have work done I come away with a better understanding of my car. I've been playing with 914's for years. While there are still things over my head. I get a little better every year thanks to the forums. Being able to throw problems at other members here is what makes this place great.
+Quote Post
Subietech
post Dec 22 2014, 12:36 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 18,243

I'm no stranger to grounding! I sale in house custom made grounding kits for subaru's. I like direct from the battery to the fender, alt, intake manifold , strut tower and of course the starter. No daisy chain.

Originally, when Jamie brought me the car, the main ground from the battery was to the transmission near the axle (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)! Normally on a Subaru, the main ground from the battery is to the tab on the upper main bolt for the trans-motor-starter so I moved it there. I then added a ground from under the trunk to the transmission case (as Subaru does trans to firewall). The direct ground from the battery to the chassis is good. I didn't feel the need to go nuts adding other grounds just yet but I may very well add a few before I'm done.

I haven't had a chance to put a ohms meter on it yet (I'm currently in route to LA) but will once I get back to Bend.

+Quote Post
r_towle
post Dec 22 2014, 02:52 PM
Post #26

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

Factory ground post is on the inner rear fender, right next to the ground post of the battery.
Bend way over and look up high, its hard to see and way under the rain cover.

From there, the factory ground strap is bolted to the bottom of the rear trunk directly above the rear of the transmission, so it bolts to one of the rear tranny cover bolts.

That gets you your body ground and engine ground.

Everything on the car, with the exception of the starter, is grounded off the chassis.
There are dedicated grounds for most circuits.

Rich
+Quote Post
JRust
post Jan 16 2015, 04:40 PM
Post #27

914 Guru

Where we are at today. Mike found my headlight relay was fried. The white wire with blue stripe I think feeds that. With my aftermarket gauges there is a fair amount of wiring up there under the dash. Since there is a fair amount of new wiring & the aftermarket Engman panel. There is some wiring that doesn't exactly match the 914 diagram. We are 95% sure it is good to go. Before trying to start the car. I'm taking it to another shop to be sure. Mike's put a lot of time into it & wants to be sure too.

So first of next week it is off to get the wiring checked at a new shop. Hopefully it will be a real quick turn around there. If they can actually get on it right away. I may have it back next weekend. LOL! I'm not holding my breath though. I'm content to wait until it is perfect (IMG:style_emoticons/default/evilgrin.gif)
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Jan 16 2015, 07:07 PM
Post #28

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

I'm sorry Jamie. You are not allowed to have spark. That car is too nice for us to allow you to have spark. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
JRust
post Jan 16 2015, 07:19 PM
Post #29

914 Guru

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jan 16 2015, 05:07 PM) *

I'm sorry Jamie. You are not allowed to have spark. That car is too nice for us to allow you to have spark. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) Good one Rob. I completely agree. One good spark was more than enough for me for a lifetime.
+Quote Post
904svo
post Jan 16 2015, 07:25 PM
Post #30

904SVO

Member No.: 5,146

On my conversion I took the ign wire ( power lead to the coil) and wired it up to
new power relays to feed the ECU, fuel pump power which takes the load off the ign
switch. I also added a power relay to the starter circuit. These changes will remove
the large current drain which the ECU,fuel pump require from the ign switch.
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Jan 16 2015, 07:40 PM
Post #31

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496
Region Association: None

Send it to McMark's and I will come up and fix it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Or he can fix it and I'll drink beer... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Jan 16 2015, 11:42 PM
Post #32

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

Just don't have ANYTHING flammable nearby! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jan 17 2015, 10:44 AM
Post #33

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(904svo @ Jan 16 2015, 05:25 PM) *

On my conversion I took the ign wire ( power lead to the coil) and wired it up to
new power relays to feed the ECU, fuel pump power which takes the load off the ign
switch. I also added a power relay to the starter circuit. These changes will remove
the large current drain which the ECU,fuel pump require from the ign switch.

Same here. I believe "that power lead" is #9 blk. In fact, you, Mike B., Tom, Spoke (who is cheaper than I (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) ) and a few others, "held my hand" as I wired mine up. Can't thank you guy's enough for your experienced views and tips. Also, you can't have too many relays or grounds on the 914's meager wiring system. Did Dean install the "power relay" from the original Suby wiring system?
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Jan 17 2015, 12:26 PM
Post #34

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(JRust @ Jan 16 2015, 05:19 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jan 16 2015, 05:07 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) Good one Rob. I completely agree. One good spark was more than enough for me for a lifetime.

Why are you laughing? I'm serious... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
McMark
post Jan 18 2015, 12:12 AM
Post #35

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

IMHO, there's only one way to solve this problem.

Document the whole harness and reevaluate all the design decisions. you may find other things that need addressing.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2024 - 10:00 AM