Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

11 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> LS1 or smokin hot type 4 ?, Driveability ?
DBCooper
post Dec 29 2014, 10:34 AM
Post #21

14's in the 13's with ATTITUDE

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,618
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(jgara962 @ Dec 29 2014, 08:08 AM) *

How many Cobras do you own?

Ha ha, I wish. But I've come close enough to know the difference, and close enough to know that I prefer the Cobra to the Ace. But who wouldn't? Which was the point.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
era vulgaris
post Dec 29 2014, 10:43 AM
Post #22

J is for Genius

Member No.: 16,629
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(jgara962 @ Dec 29 2014, 10:30 AM) *

Put in a big Type 4. The car will have plenty of power and remain light and nimble. Putting a V8 (or anything other than a Type 4 or 6) ruins the car IMHO. If you want a V8 go buy a POS muscle car.

I actually agree with you. I personally can't stand muscle cars. I'll take a 36hp 50's Beetle over an old Camaro every day of the week.
But I'm in love with air-cooled engines. I think going water-cooled loses a bit of the quirkiness of these cars. I also prefer originality, and keeping it an air-cooled 4 or 6 keeps it in line with Porsche's original intention.

But honestly if someone wants to chop up their car and go water-cooled, I'm all for it. The fewer true-to-original-form 914's there are out there, the more mine will be worth in the long run! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Bruce Hinds
post Dec 29 2014, 10:53 AM
Post #23

V-8 madness

Member No.: 7,391
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Wow . . .

Interesting that nobody actually mentioned that the V8 doesn't weigh that much more. I don't know how much lighter the LS is than the SBC, but the iron head and block SBC with all associated hardware only adds 250 lbs to the total car weight and the weight distribution is still 49/51%. It's no more than noticeable than taking a big friend for a ride.

The purist will bark all day long about how you ruin the handling, and the need to go bigger wheels and brakes. I agree to some extent, but the modification don't have to be extreme.

Drive one before you decide . . .
+Quote Post
madmax914
post Dec 29 2014, 11:23 AM
Post #24

Member No.: 17,007

If you're wanting HP and handling than you really need to consider a Subaru conversion. A 2.5 STI motor can be bought for around the same price as an LS1 all aluminum block motor. The Subaru is lighter and has the low center of gravity that the 914 was designed for so your handling is not compromised. The 5-speed Subie transmission works great under the 914 chassis, so you have modern motor with modern fuel injection and a much better transmission. Conversion cost wise you are very comparable to the LS conversion. And the Subaru internals can easily support up to 500hp if you wish. And after market support is huge.
+Quote Post
JRust
post Dec 29 2014, 11:36 AM
Post #25

914 Guru

Member No.: 129

You would be amazed at how tame you can drive the LS motor in a 914. It is absolutely sweet & can be driven by a grandma. The power is there if you want it but that motor is so light. It is a sweet conversion. If you keep the modern FI on it. I know one guy who is running a carb on his. Not sure if that changes the driveability but doubt it does. With the exception of elevation changes you get with any carb setup.

I do love the Subaru conversions too. I lean a little more that way but only because I have one now. I also have more to do another Subaru conversion. Otherwise the LS motor would get done. You can use the 901 if you aren't an idiot. Clutch drops will kill it & you can't use 1st. Still with an "h" gear for 5th it's a great setup. Ideally I would want a Boxster S 6 speed tranny mated to the LS motor.

To each his own & I would not personally do a conversion in a nice stock car. Give me a car that has had some changes & I have no problem doing exactly what I want (IMG:style_emoticons/default/evilgrin.gif)
+Quote Post
CptTripps
post Dec 29 2014, 11:44 AM
Post #26

:: Punch and Pie ::

Member No.: 3,342
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Bruce Hinds @ Dec 29 2014, 11:53 AM) *

Wow . . .

Interesting that nobody actually mentioned that the V8 doesn't weigh that much more. I don't know how much lighter the LS is than the SBC, but the iron head and block SBC with all associated hardware only adds 250 lbs to the total car weight and the weight distribution is still 49/51%. It's no more than noticeable than taking a big friend for a ride.

The purist will bark all day long about how you ruin the handling, and the need to go bigger wheels and brakes. I agree to some extent, but the modification don't have to be extreme.

The weight may not change all that much, but WHERE the weight is does effect the car. I bought my car with a SB350 and am changing to a Subie for this exact reason. (And the trans...and the turbo...and the other upgrades possible.)

QUOTE(Bruce Hinds @ Dec 29 2014, 11:53 AM) *

Drive one before you decide . . .

Best advice so far.
+Quote Post
boxstr
post Dec 29 2014, 11:55 AM
Post #27

MEMBER:PACIFIC NORTHWEST REGION

Member No.: 12

I have owned 5 914 v8 conversions. And I loved everyone of them. They are a blast to drive, and they can go slow as well as very fast.
The one thing that they must have are really good brakes. One of the ones I had was equipped with front Brembo brakes. The rears were also Brmebos, it did eliminate the park brake. That car had 417 hp, as per dyno sheet.i would always approach that car with a special amount respect, because I knew that it could get away from me and that wouldnt end well.
Go drive one of each, then make a decision. Good luck in your search.
Craig at CAMP
+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Dec 29 2014, 12:17 PM
Post #28

QUOTE(era vulgaris @ Dec 29 2014, 08:43 AM) *

But honestly if someone wants to chop up their car and go water-cooled, I'm all for it. The fewer true-to-original-form 914's there are out there, the more mine will be worth in the long run! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

A common misconception. You don't need to "chop up" a car to make it water cooled, any more than doing rust repair will "chop it up". You're making improvements, and if it's done well then any changes you make are easily to un-do, if you ever choose. Though I don't know of anyone who ever has. And the alternative? Do nothing? That's the AC Ace or Cobra comparison, the Ace handled better... so which would you have bought? And more to the point, which of those two cars would you rather have driven for the last 50 years?

And that "mine will be worth more" thing? So your estate gets maximum value when it's sold? Screw that, I'm having fun with my car now, while I can. But if you really insist on getting maximum appreciation then stop driving your 914 right now, this instant, put it on blocks in the garage and drive the Kia. Maximum value but minimum fun. I couldn't do that, maybe you can, I don't know, but it's a sports car so it's not fiscally logical anyway. So do whatever you want, have fun with it, no limits.

+Quote Post
rnellums
post Dec 29 2014, 12:32 PM
Post #29

Professional Enthusiast

Member No.: 11,072
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I did a subaru conversion on my 73 914 that had ac deleted and a front oil cooler added. I have not had to cut the car with the exception of one 1" hole for radiator house. I could change back to stock configuration in a weekend.

The subaru h-6 is truly a wonder compared to the old 2.4l type iv I used to have in there. More power, a better transmission, and miles better drivability and reliability.

After selling the old engine and tranny I'm a total of 1k or so into my conversion (lots of junkyard parts).

After driving it all summer I have decided to make the change permanent. I have a stock 914 that I'll keep stock, but it will sit in the garage and get driven rarely as long as the subie 6 is around.
+Quote Post
iamchappy
post Dec 29 2014, 12:43 PM
Post #30

It all happens so fast!

Member No.: 1,315
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Funny how so few recommend a Porsche flat 6, to me that would be the first option. I've done the big 4 for what i had into that, i could of had a nice 6. The 4 blew up..

Now i have a nice high horsepower 6, plug and play and easiest to do.
+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Dec 29 2014, 01:21 PM
Post #31

QUOTE(iamchappy @ Dec 29 2014, 10:43 AM) *

The 4 blew up..

Ha ha, that happened to you, me, and a lot of other people.

I'd love to have a Porsche six myself. In theory, but I can't justify the cost. My 200hp (at the wheels) WRX engine cost me $600. And the total I have in my car, the total, with the cost of the car included, is pretty likely less than a good used (but less powerful) n/a P6 engine would cost all by itself. So it's hard for me to justify using a P6, and god help me if I ever had to rebuild one. It's true couldn't get another WRX engine for what I paid for this one, but even a nice low mile 300 hp STi motor would still be a quarter the cost of rebuilding a P6. And hey, once the engine lid is closed the fun part is the horsepower, more horsepower is more fun, and that doesn't have a brand.

+Quote Post
914_3.0
post Dec 29 2014, 01:31 PM
Post #32

Member No.: 16,856
Region Association: Central California

The last thing I would do is put a bowtie in my beautifully balanced little machine. Just saying. Maybe a Franken-teen website?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif)
+Quote Post
tooms351
post Dec 29 2014, 02:29 PM
Post #33

Member No.: 14,894

A friend of mine ran a DE at Sebring this summer, he started first in his big 4 914. I also ran in this DE and started last in ma fat, ill handling, high centered, 327 packing 914 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bootyshake.gif) . A 20 minute session, I caught him a little past half way. I will be the first to admit he is quicker than me driving the same car. Back on subject I built a 944 v8 and love it for a track car, but I bought the 914 and couldnt be happier!
+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Dec 29 2014, 02:33 PM
Post #34

QUOTE(914_3.0 @ Dec 29 2014, 11:31 AM) *

The last thing I would do is put a bowtie in my beautifully balanced little machine. Just saying. Maybe a Franken-teen website?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif)

Wow. That was sure rude.

Can I respectfully ask if you've ever actually driven one of those cars that makes you puke?

+Quote Post
tooms351
post Dec 29 2014, 02:33 PM
Post #35

Member No.: 14,894

DUH
+Quote Post
era vulgaris
post Dec 29 2014, 06:53 PM
Post #36

J is for Genius

Member No.: 16,629

QUOTE(DBCooper @ Dec 29 2014, 01:17 PM) *

And that "mine will be worth more" thing? So your estate gets maximum value when it's sold? Screw that, I'm having fun with my car now, while I can. But if you really insist on getting maximum appreciation then stop driving your 914 right now, this instant, put it on blocks in the garage and drive the Kia. Maximum value but minimum fun. I couldn't do that, maybe you can, I don't know, but it's a sports car so it's not fiscally logical anyway. So do whatever you want, have fun with it, no limits.

Wow...way to take a halfway sarcastic comment and run with it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)
+Quote Post
messix
post Dec 29 2014, 08:04 PM
Post #37

AKA "CLUTCH KILLER"!

From: between shit kickers and pinky lifters/ puget sound wa.north of Seattle south of Canada
Member No.: 3,931

wow!

the last bunch of comments here really don't sound like the community that I know on this site !

whether or not "you" like or don't, would or would not have, drive, build, buy, is not the problem.

the problem is the berating tone that spews forth!

if this is not your cup of tea, then be productive and respectful with your posts or shut the hell up!

I might not like the side stripes, painted bumpers, or other stupid stuff you might do to your car.... but I'll keep that to my self and congratulate you on making your car that way you like it !

I would hate to see this "non-club" turn into a c/w self important derisive place where you cant think or do out side of what the self chosen keepers of what's allowed and tolerated with these cars.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Dec 29 2014, 08:07 PM
Post #38

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

Really relax guys, it's your car do what you want. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

Part of it for me is I hate chevy's, I grew up in a POS GM town, so I'm biased right from the start.
+Quote Post
messix
post Dec 29 2014, 08:15 PM
Post #39

AKA "CLUTCH KILLER"!

From: between shit kickers and pinky lifters/ puget sound wa.north of Seattle south of Canada

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Dec 29 2014, 06:07 PM) *

Really relax guys, it's your car do what you want. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

Part of it for me is I hate chevy's, I grew up in a POS GM town, so I'm biased right from the start.

what do you know ???

you're Canadian ! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
messix
post Dec 29 2014, 08:15 PM
Post #40

AKA "CLUTCH KILLER"!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post

11 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th June 2024 - 06:10 AM