Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: LS1 or smokin hot type 4 ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
got914?
Hey everyone, just considering the above.

An LS1 is 350 hp and with the factory injection will both start and run like a dream.

A real done up type 4 will sound much nicer but obviolsuy about a bit more than half the power.

mgp4591
I'd think all that heat from a built up 4 is gonna have to go somewhere... any built engine is like a bomb- the more volatile it is the shorter the fuse!
Bruce Hinds
They'd be different cars for sure.

I went the 4 route many years ago. I had Zimms build up my 2.0 with cam, milled heads, webers . . . etc. It didn't have much low end, but it was a screamer and ran really well.

Shortly after getting the car back I read a story about one of the first V8 conversions and found I could have done that for the same money or less. That's probably still an accurate assessment.

So, that's just what I did. I actually had the SBC built the way I wanted and the cost of the Renegade set-up and all came out to less than I'd spend for the hot rod 4.
thelogo
Yeah your not gonna ever find much that beat s the l s motor as far as driveability

And of course it's common knowledge that the 4 is not made for or ever intended as a high power ,output motor with reliability. Duh . Any 4 over 100. Horses is pushin it imho ...

So I would say good old pushrod v8 is the way but I personally will never put the radiator out front or
Sacrifice my trucks so , when they figure that out I wanna be in the l s club too.

But 350 horse stock tires and brakes . You had better have some self control . Or install traction control
larryM

depends on what you want to do with it

if you just want a cafe & NASA racer and something to terrorize the drift crowd & stoplight racers, - go for the LS

an LS car would not be eligible for Porsche Club events

check the PCA rules, which require a Porsche engine
thelogo
P c a Thats a laugh I though this was narp
Mark Henry
To me once you go V8 you lost the whole point of owning a 914.
Big type 4 about 150hp or do a subi conversion.
But all of this costs money, my suggestion is to actually drive the car before you change things.

speed metal army
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Dec 28 2014, 08:46 PM) *

But all of this costs money, my suggestion is to actually drive the car before you change things.

Wrong, Wrong, you are wrong. biggrin.gif Lost the whole point of owning a 914?Really??That is funny lol-2.gif biggrin.gif Having driven both I can say both are fun. One sounds different, goes much quicker/faster and as long as suspension and braking upgrades are made, both handle like crazy. The whole point of owning a 914 is to have a wicked handling quick little car(gokart) that is super fun to boot!
Not possible with a V8? Bah! bs.gif Possibly even more fun.
My 2cents bye1.gif
PotterPorsche
If I wanted a v8 I would install in a boxster like renagade did. Why not porsche 3.0 ,or 3.2 . If I had the money it would be 3.2 or 3.6 porsche engine. But for now I've begun collecting parts for 78mm x96mm

Mike Bellis
I think it's funny how so many are against V8 conversions but not against a subi. You will not be able to get 350hp cheaper than with a V8. For those who have driven a V88 914, it's hard to go back to a lower hp level.

I think the 914 is a great platform for engine conversions of any type. A big T4 will cost you $$$ but you will get more points from the purists.

If the suspension and brakes are setup correctly, a V8 is a blast to drive. A T4 can be a blast as well. A big T4 will cost way more than most us us can justify. You can build a 100-150hp T4 but that will still cost you $5K-$10K.
mgp4591
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Dec 28 2014, 09:46 PM) *

I understand your point of view, but isn't that like saying "If you put a Ford V8 into an AC Ace you ruin the point of owning the AC" ? If Carroll Shelby had thought like that we'd have lost one of the iconic hotrods of all time! The 914 platform is the best of alot of worlds- mid engine, 2 seater, independant suspension, 4 wheel disc brakes, unit body construction, etc. etc. When all features are equally upgraded, you've got yourself one hell of a fun car! Or leave it stock- it's still fun!
CptTripps
The V8 changes the weight dynamics of the car. You also lose 1st gear unless you spend a lot of money on converting the trans.

Hot 4 if you don't want to do a lot of work with installing a radiator and everything that goes with it.

Subie of you don't mind installing a radiator and want to keep the weight the same with adding a lot of HP.
DBCooper
QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Dec 29 2014, 02:32 AM) *
"If you put a Ford V8 into an AC Ace you ruin the point of owning the AC"

Ha ha. So I'm sitting here thinking that there must be a bunch of Ace Owners Club of America members out there still grumbling about how Shelby "ruined the character" of their damned fine car. Decades ago I worked with a guy who looked at both and chose to buy the Corvette because it had roll-up windows and the Cobra didn't. And he was still angry with himself about that. The lesson? Go for the gold.

Mark Henry
QUOTE(CptTripps @ Dec 29 2014, 09:28 AM) *

The V8 changes the weight dynamics of the car. You also lose 1st gear unless you spend a lot of money on converting the trans.

Hot 4 if you don't want to do a lot of work with installing a radiator and everything that goes with it.

Subie of you don't mind installing a radiator and want to keep the weight the same with adding a lot of HP.

This is my point, at least a subi is still a flat four or six.

Personally I'd never do anything but a T4 or /6 on a nice 914.
I admit it's personal preference, I've just never cared for these conversions.
jgara962
Put in a big Type 4. The car will have plenty of power and remain light and nimble. Putting a V8 (or anything other than a Type 4 or 6) ruins the car IMHO. If you want a V8 go buy a POS muscle car.
sb914
Wow
GeorgeRud
You'll never be disappointed with a -6 conversion as that's what the factory intended from the beginning. ( No disrespect to Jake or any other builders of high horsepower type4 engines).

It's your car, so do what floats you boat.
mgp4591
Lycoming? confused24.gif Continental?? idea.gif
DBCooper
QUOTE(jgara962 @ Dec 29 2014, 07:30 AM) *

Put in a big Type 4. The car will have plenty of power and remain light and nimble. Putting a V8 (or anything other than a Type 4 or 6) ruins the car IMHO. If you want a V8 go buy a POS muscle car.

POS? Seriously? Yup, turn down that Cobra... stay with the Ace.

jgara962
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Dec 29 2014, 08:03 AM) *

QUOTE(jgara962 @ Dec 29 2014, 07:30 AM) *

POS? Seriously? Yup, turn down that Cobra... stay with the Ace.

How many Cobras do you own?
DBCooper
QUOTE(jgara962 @ Dec 29 2014, 08:08 AM) *

How many Cobras do you own?

Ha ha, I wish. But I've come close enough to know the difference, and close enough to know that I prefer the Cobra to the Ace. But who wouldn't? Which was the point.

era vulgaris
QUOTE(jgara962 @ Dec 29 2014, 10:30 AM) *

I actually agree with you. I personally can't stand muscle cars. I'll take a 36hp 50's Beetle over an old Camaro every day of the week.
But I'm in love with air-cooled engines. I think going water-cooled loses a bit of the quirkiness of these cars. I also prefer originality, and keeping it an air-cooled 4 or 6 keeps it in line with Porsche's original intention.

But honestly if someone wants to chop up their car and go water-cooled, I'm all for it. The fewer true-to-original-form 914's there are out there, the more mine will be worth in the long run! biggrin.gif
Bruce Hinds
Wow . . .

Interesting that nobody actually mentioned that the V8 doesn't weigh that much more. I don't know how much lighter the LS is than the SBC, but the iron head and block SBC with all associated hardware only adds 250 lbs to the total car weight and the weight distribution is still 49/51%. It's no more than noticeable than taking a big friend for a ride.

The purist will bark all day long about how you ruin the handling, and the need to go bigger wheels and brakes. I agree to some extent, but the modification don't have to be extreme.

Drive one before you decide . . .
madmax914
If you're wanting HP and handling than you really need to consider a Subaru conversion. A 2.5 STI motor can be bought for around the same price as an LS1 all aluminum block motor. The Subaru is lighter and has the low center of gravity that the 914 was designed for so your handling is not compromised. The 5-speed Subie transmission works great under the 914 chassis, so you have modern motor with modern fuel injection and a much better transmission. Conversion cost wise you are very comparable to the LS conversion. And the Subaru internals can easily support up to 500hp if you wish. And after market support is huge.
JRust
You would be amazed at how tame you can drive the LS motor in a 914. It is absolutely sweet & can be driven by a grandma. The power is there if you want it but that motor is so light. It is a sweet conversion. If you keep the modern FI on it. I know one guy who is running a carb on his. Not sure if that changes the driveability but doubt it does. With the exception of elevation changes you get with any carb setup.

I do love the Subaru conversions too. I lean a little more that way but only because I have one now. I also have more to do another Subaru conversion. Otherwise the LS motor would get done. You can use the 901 if you aren't an idiot. Clutch drops will kill it & you can't use 1st. Still with an "h" gear for 5th it's a great setup. Ideally I would want a Boxster S 6 speed tranny mated to the LS motor.

To each his own & I would not personally do a conversion in a nice stock car. Give me a car that has had some changes & I have no problem doing exactly what I want evilgrin.gif
CptTripps
QUOTE(Bruce Hinds @ Dec 29 2014, 11:53 AM) *

Wow . . .

Interesting that nobody actually mentioned that the V8 doesn't weigh that much more. I don't know how much lighter the LS is than the SBC, but the iron head and block SBC with all associated hardware only adds 250 lbs to the total car weight and the weight distribution is still 49/51%. It's no more than noticeable than taking a big friend for a ride.

The purist will bark all day long about how you ruin the handling, and the need to go bigger wheels and brakes. I agree to some extent, but the modification don't have to be extreme.

The weight may not change all that much, but WHERE the weight is does effect the car. I bought my car with a SB350 and am changing to a Subie for this exact reason. (And the trans...and the turbo...and the other upgrades possible.)

Best advice so far.
boxstr
I have owned 5 914 v8 conversions. And I loved everyone of them. They are a blast to drive, and they can go slow as well as very fast.
The one thing that they must have are really good brakes. One of the ones I had was equipped with front Brembo brakes. The rears were also Brmebos, it did eliminate the park brake. That car had 417 hp, as per dyno sheet.i would always approach that car with a special amount respect, because I knew that it could get away from me and that wouldnt end well.
Go drive one of each, then make a decision. Good luck in your search.
Craig at CAMP
DBCooper
QUOTE(era vulgaris @ Dec 29 2014, 08:43 AM) *

But honestly if someone wants to chop up their car and go water-cooled, I'm all for it. The fewer true-to-original-form 914's there are out there, the more mine will be worth in the long run! biggrin.gif

A common misconception. You don't need to "chop up" a car to make it water cooled, any more than doing rust repair will "chop it up". You're making improvements, and if it's done well then any changes you make are easily to un-do, if you ever choose. Though I don't know of anyone who ever has. And the alternative? Do nothing? That's the AC Ace or Cobra comparison, the Ace handled better... so which would you have bought? And more to the point, which of those two cars would you rather have driven for the last 50 years?

And that "mine will be worth more" thing? So your estate gets maximum value when it's sold? Screw that, I'm having fun with my car now, while I can. But if you really insist on getting maximum appreciation then stop driving your 914 right now, this instant, put it on blocks in the garage and drive the Kia. Maximum value but minimum fun. I couldn't do that, maybe you can, I don't know, but it's a sports car so it's not fiscally logical anyway. So do whatever you want, have fun with it, no limits.

rnellums
I did a subaru conversion on my 73 914 that had ac deleted and a front oil cooler added. I have not had to cut the car with the exception of one 1" hole for radiator house. I could change back to stock configuration in a weekend.

The subaru h-6 is truly a wonder compared to the old 2.4l type iv I used to have in there. More power, a better transmission, and miles better drivability and reliability.

After selling the old engine and tranny I'm a total of 1k or so into my conversion (lots of junkyard parts).

After driving it all summer I have decided to make the change permanent. I have a stock 914 that I'll keep stock, but it will sit in the garage and get driven rarely as long as the subie 6 is around.
iamchappy
Funny how so few recommend a Porsche flat 6, to me that would be the first option. I've done the big 4 for what i had into that, i could of had a nice 6. The 4 blew up..

Now i have a nice high horsepower 6, plug and play and easiest to do.
DBCooper
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Dec 29 2014, 10:43 AM) *

The 4 blew up..

Ha ha, that happened to you, me, and a lot of other people.

I'd love to have a Porsche six myself. In theory, but I can't justify the cost. My 200hp (at the wheels) WRX engine cost me $600. And the total I have in my car, the total, with the cost of the car included, is pretty likely less than a good used (but less powerful) n/a P6 engine would cost all by itself. So it's hard for me to justify using a P6, and god help me if I ever had to rebuild one. It's true couldn't get another WRX engine for what I paid for this one, but even a nice low mile 300 hp STi motor would still be a quarter the cost of rebuilding a P6. And hey, once the engine lid is closed the fun part is the horsepower, more horsepower is more fun, and that doesn't have a brand.

914_3.0
The last thing I would do is put a bowtie in my beautifully balanced little machine. Just saying. Maybe a Franken-teen website?

barf.gif
tooms351
A friend of mine ran a DE at Sebring this summer, he started first in his big 4 914. I also ran in this DE and started last in ma fat, ill handling, high centered, 327 packing 914 bootyshake.gif . A 20 minute session, I caught him a little past half way. I will be the first to admit he is quicker than me driving the same car. Back on subject I built a 944 v8 and love it for a track car, but I bought the 914 and couldnt be happier!
DBCooper
QUOTE(914_3.0 @ Dec 29 2014, 11:31 AM) *

The last thing I would do is put a bowtie in my beautifully balanced little machine. Just saying. Maybe a Franken-teen website?

barf.gif

Wow. That was sure rude.

Can I respectfully ask if you've ever actually driven one of those cars that makes you puke?

tooms351
DUH
era vulgaris
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Dec 29 2014, 01:17 PM) *

And that "mine will be worth more" thing? So your estate gets maximum value when it's sold? Screw that, I'm having fun with my car now, while I can. But if you really insist on getting maximum appreciation then stop driving your 914 right now, this instant, put it on blocks in the garage and drive the Kia. Maximum value but minimum fun. I couldn't do that, maybe you can, I don't know, but it's a sports car so it's not fiscally logical anyway. So do whatever you want, have fun with it, no limits.

Wow...way to take a halfway sarcastic comment and run with it poke.gif
messix
wow!

the last bunch of comments here really don't sound like the community that I know on this site !

whether or not "you" like or don't, would or would not have, drive, build, buy, is not the problem.

the problem is the berating tone that spews forth!

if this is not your cup of tea, then be productive and respectful with your posts or shut the hell up!

I might not like the side stripes, painted bumpers, or other stupid stuff you might do to your car.... but I'll keep that to my self and congratulate you on making your car that way you like it !

I would hate to see this "non-club" turn into a c/w self important derisive place where you cant think or do out side of what the self chosen keepers of what's allowed and tolerated with these cars.
Mark Henry
Really relax guys, it's your car do what you want. shades.gif

Part of it for me is I hate chevy's, I grew up in a POS GM town, so I'm biased right from the start.
messix
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Dec 29 2014, 06:07 PM) *

Really relax guys, it's your car do what you want. shades.gif

Part of it for me is I hate chevy's, I grew up in a POS GM town, so I'm biased right from the start.

what do you know ???

you're Canadian ! slap.gif lol-2.gif
messix
beerchug.gif
Rand
LS.... what now? 3 or more? It's not cast iron any more boys. Show me a Porsche engine that can put out.... say... both 500 hp and torque. And be honest about weight. And then of course there's cost..... LS3 crate engine seems like a sweet answer.

Oh sorry, just thinking out loud. I'll take the Porsche six for 5x more money. Seriously, that's what I want.
mgp4591
QUOTE(messix @ Dec 29 2014, 07:04 PM) *

wow!

the last bunch of comments here really don't sound like the community that I know on this site !

whether or not "you" like or don't, would or would not have, drive, build, buy, is not the problem.

the problem is the berating tone that spews forth!

if this is not your cup of tea, then be productive and respectful with your posts or shut the hell up!

I might not like the side stripes, painted bumpers, or other stupid stuff you might do to your car.... but I'll keep that to my self and congratulate you on making your car that way you like it !

I would hate to see this "non-club" turn into a c/w self important derisive place where you cant think or do out side of what the self chosen keepers of what's allowed and tolerated with these cars.

Geez, no kidding! You'd think we all drove "real Porsches" or something lol-2.gif I always thought that was the fun of owning one of these little cars- kind of a re-engineered race car for the street. Hell, it's got everything you'd want and then some, 'cept a back seat and we all know where that can go.... Use disrection when you "re-engineer" yours and you'll have lots of fun! shades.gif
mgp4591
QUOTE(CptTripps @ Dec 29 2014, 10:44 AM) *

Wow . . .

The weight may not change all that much, but WHERE the weight is does effect the car. I bought my car with a SB350 and am changing to a Subie for this exact reason. (And the trans...and the turbo...and the other upgrades possible.)

Best advice so far.

Doug, SOT but I've never seen what they're using for the cradle on a V8... is it round or square tubing and approx. what size? I'll be making my own and I'd like a comparison. Thanks!
Rand
Ok, all this. Shall I repost what the OP asked? "
> LS1 or smokin hot type 4 ?, Driveability ?"

An ls1 will be smooth.
A smokin hot tiv will be..... What? You didn't ask??? What do you want???? 200hp? Then fail and pick up parts from the hand grenade.

This is NOT apples and oranges.

300hp from an LS1, will run no problem for 100,000 miles.

Let's just go LS3!!! Why Not!?????

914_3.0
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Dec 29 2014, 12:33 PM) *

barf.gif

Wow. That was sure rude.

Can I respectfully ask if you've ever actually driven one of those cars that makes you puke?

Sorry if you were offended by what was only intended as a poke of fun DB. Respectfully, you seem a little sensitive. Did I berate someone personally somehow, as you just did? I just stated my opinion. I don't like Chebbys. I thought that's what forums were for.

The combination does nothing for me not even having driven it, sorry. Happy New Year 914World smile.gif I'll try to be less rude next year!! lol-2.gif

Mark Henry
QUOTE(914_3.0 @ Dec 30 2014, 12:19 PM) *

QUOTE(DBCooper @ Dec 29 2014, 12:33 PM) *

barf.gif

Wow. That was sure rude.

Sorry if you were offended by what was only intended as a poke of fun DB. Respectfully, you seem a little sensitive. Did I berate someone personally somehow, as you just did? I just stated my opinion. I don't like Chebbys. I thought that's what forums were for.

The combination does nothing for me not even having driven it, sorry. Happy New Year 914World smile.gif I'll try to be less rude next year!! lol-2.gif

Yes DB is a little sensitive, at least you didn't get a nasty PM biggrin.gif

Right Paul? poke.gif
DBCooper
Yeah, I've been driving a 914/Subaru for a while now so I'm getting more used to "your stuped" comments.

CptTripps
QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Dec 30 2014, 03:21 AM) *

QUOTE(CptTripps @ Dec 29 2014, 10:44 AM) *

Doug, SOT but I've never seen what they're using for the cradle on a V8... is it round or square tubing and approx. what size? I'll be making my own and I'd like a comparison. Thanks!

Mine was a Renegade kit that was a square-tube cradle. The oil pan does go pretty low and close to the ground. The other issue is that the pan is quite tall, so the bulk of the block goes up quite a bit higher than the flat-4 motor.

I can't stress this enough. DRIVE one before you make a decision. I've had a "hot 4" 914 before, and when I bought my latest car, it had a renegade V8 in it, along with the 4-speed modified 901. The handling is a bit different, and I'd hate for you to put a bunch of time/work into something, only to realize later it's not what you were hoping for. It WAS a lot of fun to drive, but sounded like an 80's Camaro. I just never really liked driving it as much as I did the 2.0 flat-4 I had in my 73.

To get ahead of the haters: I went for the Subie conversion without driving one, but looking at the weight numbers was only part of my decision. The Subie trans and the turbo were my major points. Coupled with a large number of "upgrade" options, I was sold on the Subie. I'm VERY happy that I did the conversion, and I can't wait to have it completed in the coming months.

If I had to do it over again, I'd got with a Subaru H6. Less expensive than a Porsche 6....by a lot. Lots of upgrade parts available. Plenty of support here to get you up and rolling quickly. Plenty of HP. Seems like the best of both worlds. My next 914 build (yes, I'm already planning another) will be a Subie H6.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Dec 30 2014, 12:55 PM) *

Yeah, I've been driving a 914/Subaru for a while now so I'm getting more used to "your stuped" comments.

IPB Image
DBCooper
Oh crap, it's too late for Christmas now and that would have been PERFECT. Damn!

"Hi. I'm Stu."

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.