Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: LS1 or smokin hot type 4 ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
DBCooper
Ha ha ha ha. Dude, you aren't even going to get to talk to St. Peter, it's straight to hell for you.

Mark Henry
[quote name='Cracker' date='Jan 3 2015, 07:36 PM' post='2129749']
[quote name='jgara962' date='Jan 3 2015, 12:39 PM' post='2129596']
[/quote] I wonder what percentage of similar vintage cars such as BMW 2002's or Alfa GTA's have had this done to them? sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif welder.gif [/quote]

You opened this "can of worms"...my 1973 BMW 2002 w/ a 400 hp BMW S62 (M5) v8! The reason you don't see this "conversion" because of the cost. The engine, harness and Motec management (which is required) is over $25k - that's JUST the engine! sad.gif

IPB Image

IPB Image
[/quote]

Why wouldn't you use a cheaper engine that puts out more HP??? rolleyes.gif
And doesn't need fake sound piped through the speakers laugh.gif
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(Cracker @ Jan 3 2015, 02:15 PM) *

Awesome! I'd very much like to see the build details...another thread maybe if it doesn't exist. Which model are you building around this beautiful motor? Another thread perhaps (if needed).

Click to view attachment

This build thread is located here in the Garage at Porsche 914-8GTT
Maltese Falcon
[quote name='Cracker' date='Jan 3 2015, 04:36 PM' post='2129749']
[quote name='jgara962' date='Jan 3 2015, 12:39 PM' post='2129596']
[/quote] I wonder what percentage of similar vintage cars such as BMW 2002's or Alfa GTA's have had this done to them? sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif welder.gif [/quote]

You opened this "can of worms"...my 1973 BMW 2002 w/ a 400 hp BMW S62 (M5) v8! The reason you don't see this "conversion" because of the cost. The engine, harness and Motec management (which is required) is over $25k - that's JUST the engine! sad.gif

IPB Image

IPB Image
[/quote]
That 2002 is a work of art !
When you replace that v8 with an M6 v10, we can supply you with MSDS
Ceramic coated headers aktion035.gif

Click to view attachment
...Now back to topic...
mgp4591
QUOTE(era vulgaris @ Jan 3 2015, 07:32 AM) *

QUOTE(DBCooper @ Jan 2 2015, 05:10 PM) *

To address the "but it's not a 914 anymore" thinking, sure, that's right. But is that a bad thing? That AC Ace/AC Cobra analogy, is the Cobra an Ace that's been ruined? It's heavier than the Ace, carries the weight higher, has a friggin' American motor so it's a POS hot rod, but looking at them and driving them, car for car, is the Cobra a bad car? Different, for sure, but less anything than the Ace? Is it less "sporty", less "pure", less "balanced", less "English"? Those things might all be true for some hard-core Ace owner, but not for any car enthusiast with an open-mind. For any reasonable person the Cobra is a great and iconic car, plus it's a hell of a lot faster and a lot more fun to drive. Trade your Cobra for my Ace? Seriously? That makes sense only if you've never driven a Cobra.

I get what you're saying. You keep using that analogy, but I don't think it's valid in terms of how these cars are perceived. The Cobra is essentially a factory built car; water cooled 914's are not.
Had Chevy (or another large name) been importing 914 bodies and putting V8's in them in the factory I think you'd see a different attitude towards the conversion from the air-cooled purists.
And I also think, had Cobras been built by private enthusiasts, you would see a different attitude towards them as well. If it wasn't Carol Shelby who had done the engine/trans conversions, in a legitimate partnership with Ford, they would just be a novelty car and certainly not worth the $1,000,000+ that they go for now.

I'm not making an argument either way...just saying I think there's a reason why there's a different attitude towards the Cobra "conversion" than towards a 914 conversion; and that reason is the legitimacy of the cars being built by a famous racing driver who was backed by an automobile manufacturer.

Look...if you love water-cooled cars, that's great. If you love air-cooled cars, that's great. Whatever puts a smile on your face, man! aktion035.gif

The only "factory" involvement with Ford that Carroll Shelby had was supplying the engines and transmissions. He told Ford that AC was interested- He told AC that Ford was interested! He was a privateer until Ford saw how successful he was racing with their engines but it was all his (and Brock Yates I believe) engineering that put the power to the road. Not a bona-fide engineer in the group, just a couple of good 'ol fashioned hot rodders with an idea... kinda like what we've got here. 4, 6 or 8- if it's modified to fit your taste and style, you're a hot rodder by definition and that ain't a bad thing!
messix
QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Jan 3 2015, 11:14 PM) *

To address the "but it's not a 914 anymore" thinking, sure, that's right. But is that a bad thing? That AC Ace/AC Cobra analogy, is the Cobra an Ace that's been ruined? It's heavier than the Ace, carries the weight higher, has a friggin' American motor so it's a POS hot rod, but looking at them and driving them, car for car, is the Cobra a bad car? Different, for sure, but less anything than the Ace? Is it less "sporty", less "pure", less "balanced", less "English"? Those things might all be true for some hard-core Ace owner, but not for any car enthusiast with an open-mind. For any reasonable person the Cobra is a great and iconic car, plus it's a hell of a lot faster and a lot more fun to drive. Trade your Cobra for my Ace? Seriously? That makes sense only if you've never driven a Cobra.

I get what you're saying. You keep using that analogy, but I don't think it's valid in terms of how these cars are perceived. The Cobra is essentially a factory built car; water cooled 914's are not.
Had Chevy (or another large name) been importing 914 bodies and putting V8's in them in the factory I think you'd see a different attitude towards the conversion from the air-cooled purists.
And I also think, had Cobras been built by private enthusiasts, you would see a different attitude towards them as well. If it wasn't Carol Shelby who had done the engine/trans conversions, in a legitimate partnership with Ford, they would just be a novelty car and certainly not worth the $1,000,000+ that they go for now.

I'm not making an argument either way...just saying I think there's a reason why there's a different attitude towards the Cobra "conversion" than towards a 914 conversion; and that reason is the legitimacy of the cars being built by a famous racing driver who was backed by an automobile manufacturer.

Look...if you love water-cooled cars, that's great. If you love air-cooled cars, that's great. Whatever puts a smile on your face, man! aktion035.gif

The only "factory" involvement with Ford that Carroll Shelby had was supplying the engines and transmissions. He told Ford that AC was interested- He told AC that Ford was interested! He was a privateer until Ford saw how successful he was racing with their engines but it was all his (and Brock Yates I believe) engineering that put the power to the road. Not a bona-fide engineer in the group, just a couple of good 'ol fashioned hot rodders with an idea... kinda like what we've got here. 4, 6 or 8- if it's modified to fit your taste and style, you're a hot rodder by definition and that ain't a bad thing!

right and the first cobra's had a 260 ci engine.... and then those bastards had the balls to put a 427 ci monster in it !!!!! w00t.gif

terrible right ? slap.gif shades.gif
mgp4591
QUOTE(messix @ Jan 4 2015, 12:23 AM) *

QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Jan 3 2015, 11:14 PM) *

right and the first cobra's had a 260 ci engine.... and then those bastards had the balls to put a 427 ci monster in it !!!!! w00t.gif

terrible right ? slap.gif shades.gif

If more is better, then too much is perfect! aktion035.gif
Cracker
It was "allot of fun guys" but I'm done with this thread...some of you "hardcore six" fellas are two-shy of a full house (hard to reason with). poke.gif

Mark: Your answers...
1) At that time, about 13 years ago, there wasn't a more powerful engine available (not even an LS)... rolleyes.gif

2) The S62 is one of the all time great v8's - my M5 would literally rattle the windows at idle. I miss that engine...my neighbors (and wife) do not. shades.gif

Why wouldn't you use a cheaper engine that puts out more HP??? rolleyes.gif
And doesn't need fake sound piped through the speakers laugh.gif
jmmotorsports
t4 sound better? i guess if you like an engine that sounds like someone shakeing a coffee can with a handful of rocks in it
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Cracker @ Jan 4 2015, 07:45 AM) *

It was "allot of fun guys" but I'm done with this thread...some of you "hardcore six" fellas are two-shy of a full house (hard to reason with). poke.gif

I'm not a hardcore six guy, I will never do another one.
If the OP want's to post my top ten picks on engines, that I gave him in a PM, I believe a /6 was number 7 or 8.
My #1 pick was to build a mild T4 and get some seat time before going bigger. Then he was thinking V6, to which I replied a V8 is a better choice.

All I was asking for was an apples to apples comparison and you got all butt hurt.
Then plain and simple you got a hard-on for me and decided to be a cunt.
You were trying to belittle me, something I know you wouldn't do standing face to face.

All is good, I don't hold a grudge
Cheers
Cracker
Mark - Glad you're "ok"...I was just playin' with you. I'd do it your face too. Also, I'd work on my vocabulary if I were you (calling me an: ass,
cunt, douche bag, scro(tum) and butt hurt - all in one thread). Maybe mark is really only 12-years old. Regardless, I shouldn't have responded
to the immature "name calling"...therefore, I have removed that response.

PS: Sorry to everyone else for having to witness this...now I'm done. :-)

Tony

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 4 2015, 09:10 AM) *

QUOTE(Cracker @ Jan 4 2015, 07:45 AM) *

I'm not a hardcore six guy, I will never do another one.
If the OP want's to post my top ten picks on engines, that I gave him in a PM, I believe a /6 was number 7 or 8.
My #1 pick was to build a mild T4 and get some seat time before going bigger. Then he was thinking V6, to which I replied a V8 is a better choice.

All I was asking for was an apples to apples comparison and you got all butt hurt.
Then plain and simple you got a hard-on for me and decided to be a cunt.
You were trying to belittle me, something I know you wouldn't do standing face to face.

All is good, I don't hold a grudge
Cheers
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Cracker @ Jan 4 2015, 09:18 AM) *

Mark - Glad you're ok...I was just playin' with you - I'd do it your face too. You can be my B _ _ _ _ h 7 days a week (you've already been mine this week). Cheers! bootyshake.gif

Yehh... ok....I take that back... you do sound like a douche bag. rolleyes.gif

Later Scro
speed metal army
Wow. Too bad about this thread.
I guess the only thing that could have been realistic would have been comments from people that have owned both. (A smokin hot type 4 vs a v8)
Too many comments from nice folks that havent owned either one. Bullsh!t.
r_towle
Big type 4 motors outclass SBC all day long.
Subaru is a natural extension of the horizontally opposed motor that porsche and VW should have pursued but did not. KMA.gif aktion035.gif lol-2.gif poke.gif stirthepot.gif slap.gif
Rand
Has anyone ever put a Type 4 in a Corvette? w00t.gif
Bruce Hinds
QUOTE(Rand @ Jan 4 2015, 09:38 PM) *

Has anyone ever put a Type 4 in a Corvette? w00t.gif

Now that's a great idea. Geezzzzz it would really lighten it up and put more weight in the rear... it may even handle more like a taildragger! lol-2.gif
mgp4591
QUOTE(speed metal army @ Jan 4 2015, 08:34 PM) *

I guess the only thing that could have been realistic would have been comments from people that have owned both. (A smokin hot type 4 vs a v8)

agree.gif dry.gif
bulitt
To the OP- Probably should have asked owners of conversions to comment on
cost, performance, drive-ability, negatives, positives etc.

Then you can make a reasonable decision based upon your own personal requirements factoring in stuff which is unknown to the general 914World population.

Such as - Your Skill Level? Your Resources? What kind of Driving Experience you are looking for? What dependability/performance trade offs you are willing to live with.

Bruce Hinds
QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Jan 5 2015, 01:07 AM) *

agree.gif dry.gif

Not really - it's all about passion right! Isn't that why we're here? There are many of the owned both group to filter through and also purists, racers - everyone has their own perspective. It's good to hear it all.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Bruce Hinds @ Jan 5 2015, 09:34 AM) *

agree.gif dry.gif

Not really - it's all about passion right! Isn't that why we're here? There are many of the owned both group to filter through and also purists, racers - everyone has their own perspective. It's good to hear it all.

agree.gif

I apologize for getting pissed, but just because you don't agree with another members POV it doesn't give you the right to belittle that person. Plus this is a big boy's club with little rules, so don't dish it out if you can't take it.

Sure I like to see our cars with the engines they came from the factory, but I also appreciate good engineering, so I'm not near against other engines as one may think.
The fact that I find this old F/S ad, where I was just passing on info, quite amusing seeing as I'm such a alleged V8 hater.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=199951

Heck I'm seriously thinking of selling my '67 bus and building a vanagon westy (syncro would be the dream) with a VW1.8T or subi engine.

My POV is because the only (local Canadian) 914 V8's I've been exposed to is a couple of heavy iron block hacks, one LS1 that showed promise then blew up, one with a 1000hp that twisted the body and the project stalled and the rest never got off jackstands. (note I believe the LS1 failed do to builder error, not saying anything bad about the LS1)
With a newbie I rather see the car get off the jack stands with a under powered 1.7, then be the best project in the world...that never gets finished.
But again that is my POV, yours may be different, but even if we disagree we must respect the others persons POV.

Peace sunglasses.gif
Bulldog9
Has anyone tried the Buick/Rover 231 V8? I had one in a 62 Skylark back in highschool was 200HP/300FT +/- stock, and very light. I pulled the motor out of it and put it in a 70 Opel GT, but that car was rotten from the inside out and split in half at an unofficial Autocross event.

I believe Rover/Landrover then used the motor for many years afterwards, and Oldsmobile also had a version of the all aluminum small block.
speed metal army
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 5 2015, 08:28 AM) *

QUOTE(Bruce Hinds @ Jan 5 2015, 09:34 AM) *

agree.gif dry.gif

agree.gif

I apologize for getting pissed, but just because you don't agree with another members POV it doesn't give you the right to belittle that person. Plus this is a big boy's club with little rules, so don't dish it out if you can't take it.

Sure I like to see our cars with the engines they came from the factory, but I also appreciate good engineering, so I'm not near against other engines as one may think.
The fact that I find this old F/S ad, where I was just passing on info, quite amusing seeing as I'm such a alleged V8 hater.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=199951

Heck I'm seriously thinking of selling my '67 bus and building a vanagon westy (syncro would be the dream) with a VW1.8T or subi engine.

My POV is because the only (local Canadian) 914 V8's I've been exposed to is a couple of heavy iron block hacks, one LS1 that showed promise then blew up, one with a 1000hp that twisted the body and the project stalled and the rest never got off jackstands. (note I believe the LS1 failed do to builder error, not saying anything bad about the LS1)
With a newbie I rather see the car get off the jack stands with a under powered 1.7, then be the best project in the world...that never gets finished.
But again that is my POV, yours may be different, but even if we disagree we must respect the others persons POV.

Peace sunglasses.gif

This cant be directed at me..? confused24.gifI belittled someone? Okaayyy.....
veekry9
QUOTE(Steve Pratel @ Jan 5 2015, 12:13 PM) *

Has anyone tried the Buick/Rover 231 V8? ....

I believe Rover/Landrover then used the motor for many years afterwards, and Oldsmobile also had a version of the all aluminum small block.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buick_V8_engine#215

Good point,the GM blocks all had the same problems in manufacture with distortion in post-casting heat-treat process,the scrap ratio got out of hand.
(Porosity in the block is a sandcasting defect,a die casting is solidified under immense pressure.The 356 T6 heat treat caused a warpage in the cylinder/casting interface)
At the time the thinwall cast-iron techniques were much improved.The costs to produce the alloy engines rendered them the most expensive.
The rights and tooling were sold to Rover who promptly solved the method of assembly.Light,OHV pushrod V8 out to 5L+.
The disadvantage today is the availability of modern V8s at reasonable cost.
I would presume the engine to be more easily sourced in England,and certainly many more builders there too.
I recall a fellow there selling forged stroker cranks and "Merlin" heads.http://www.realsteel.co.uk/
The KitCar world is a big user of the engine for it's low cost in mildly modified form.

http://www.v8tuner.co.uk/product.php?id=879
Now a kit like this has the same ++costs involved.
mgp4591
QUOTE(Steve Pratel @ Jan 5 2015, 10:13 AM) *

Has anyone tried the Buick/Rover 231 V8? I had one in a 62 Skylark back in highschool was 200HP/300FT +/- stock, and very light. I pulled the motor out of it and put it in a 70 Opel GT, but that car was rotten from the inside out and split in half at an unofficial Autocross event.

I remember those motors and being very W I D E, just like the rest of the Buick motors... confused24.gif
veekry9
Click to view attachment

http://www.super7thheaven.co.uk/blog/rover...aynes-roadster/

Power to weight of a 70's F1,and for cheep too.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=RPIEngineering
Some dyno results,and more.

http://www.realsteel.co.uk/

http://store.yellaterra.com.au/categories/...l?sort=priceasc
Requisite RRockers.

http://thebritishcar.com/showthread.php?92...nd-the-Rover-V8
A link to some good info re:valves.

http://www.triumphroverspares.com.au/page....&parentid=5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHEnM_frZP4

I put this here as I was sure it was available with the Rover V8,back then,a nice example.
Edit:Probably not,tho I wonder if there is room for a Rover transversely.For sure.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=Phantom+Vort...3D2%3B410%3B308
Some more,in addition to a 914,a mid motor tubeframe.
messix
several guys have run the buick light weight. Jrust is one.

the way I see it, it would be best to have and drive a T4 car first to experience the handling of the car with out having the stupid pedal ready to kill you before you know whats happening.

them after you kinda know the reasonable limits the cars handling has then you could add power and still respect the cars capability.

if you over drive the brakes with the 4 you will have a better chance of not going way over your head like if you had big power. and the there is the throttle lift over steer that with a larger engine will throw you into a snap spin much faster than the low compression T4 will.
Bruce Hinds
QUOTE(messix @ Jan 5 2015, 08:54 PM) *

several guys have run the buick light weight. Jrust is one.

the way I see it, it would be best to have and drive a T4 car first to experience the handling of the car with out having the stupid pedal ready to kill you before you know whats happening.

them after you kinda know the reasonable limits the cars handling has then you could add power and still respect the cars capability.

if you over drive the brakes with the 4 you will have a better chance of not going way over your head like if you had big power. and the there is the throttle lift over steer that with a larger engine will throw you into a snap spin much faster than the low compression T4 will.

agree.gif
returf
If you were even to consider a rover v8 I would have to point out the following, unless you use the later model fuel injected range rover engine you would be getting 60's technology, no strength in the bottom end and just a small increase in hp from a decent 4 cly, and oil leaks beyond any that porsche could ever produce. We've been using them here for years and the only way to make a good one is to throw large amounts of money at them. lexus v8's are a good engine if you could get one to fit and are engineered from factory to be capable of excellent hp. ( the speedway boys are even fitting carbs to them and getting 500hp ) but the best v8 by far is the LS range. these are narrow, light and easy to get parts for. just my 2c. P.S. glad to see things settling down a bit on this thread bye1.gif
veekry9
http://www.aluminumv8.com/index.htm
www.kennedyenginc.com/Pages/EngineOptionList8cyl.aspx
http://www.taperformance.com/index.asp
http://www.automotivecomp.com/v8engines.htm

I'm guessing they could answer any questions that might come up about the mains seals.
Likely the only source here in North America.

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/rover-v8-engine
http://www.ebay.com/bhp/buick-215-engine
A 300$ core in rebuildable condition might suit a small budget Alloy V8 conversion.
A 500$ 914+300$ V8=800$ all in to begin the transmogrification.
A caveat is that the failure mode of the sleeves is corrosion and heat distortion.
A thorough ultrasonic inspection is mandatory to ensure the bores are good for refinishing.
A Rover block is more desirable for the sleeving method..

The latemodel Rover 4.6 is the one to get,with the 4-bolt skirt.
http://www.jack-brabham-engines.com/biography.aspx(Some present may not be aware of his tremendous achievement.)
A 540 hp na 5L is doing good,tho not inexpensive and real peaky,a full race.

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&am....82001339,d.aWw(Enthusiastic testimonials)
Small enough to fit an MG TD with a blower.Yikes.MGA too.
http://www.themgdoc.com/mgav8.htm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCtQKn6TZX8

Edit:Hmm.. idea.gif What a great idea,a blown 5L 914.
A wrecking yard Eaton or
http://www.summitracing.com/int/search/par...ugal-style-kits
Bulldog9
I figured that this engine option had seen it's day. Of course when We did this it was 1983-84 and dropped in a 1970 Opel GT. Not too many options back then and this motor was commonlyly used for such duty. Had a buddy who put one in his MG. We diddnt know it but the whole infrastructure of the unibody was rotten and broke just forward of the firewall. Almost pulled a Fred Flintstone in a reverse radius turn on the Cherahola Skyway at 60MPH..... Funny how things happen, 25 years later I had an almost fatal motorcycle accident on the same road. This time was a moonshine drinking local who coming the opposite direction came in my lane and pushed me to the shoulder. NOT fun when you are scraping pegs, and hit gravel. Thankfully was wearing PPE and though the bike was a total loss, I just threw away a riding suit and helmet and took advil/asprin for a few months.....

But back on topic, If I were to change out from the type 4, I'd likely go for another P car motor, or a 6 CYL Subaru.

COMPLETELY agree with being smart about your ability to handle power and in the particular car you are driving. The BEST thing you can do to drive faster is NOT a bigger motor, it is DRIVING LESSONS....... My driving skills, reaction time, etc has slowed significantly over the last 10-15 years. Could be TBI like my docs say from too many IED hits, but I think its just age. I have NO issues slowing down... So now I am just a double the yellow +10 guy instead of a triple the yellow..... ;-)
carr914
QUOTE(Bruce Hinds @ Dec 29 2014, 11:53 AM) *

Wow . . .

Interesting that nobody actually mentioned that the V8 doesn't weigh that much more. I don't know how much lighter the LS is than the SBC, but the iron head and block SBC with all associated hardware only adds 250 lbs to the total car weight and the weight distribution is still 49/51%. It's no more than noticeable than taking a big friend for a ride.

The purist will bark all day long about how you ruin the handling, and the need to go bigger wheels and brakes. I agree to some extent, but the modification don't have to be extreme.

Drive one before you decide . . .

agree.gif

and if it's good enough for Pete Brock of Cobra Fame, it's good for me

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

DBCooper

Oh my, that's nice. Pete Brock/Cobra-related huh? Well how about that.

mgp4591
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Jan 6 2015, 08:17 AM) *

Oh my, that's nice. Pete Brock/Cobra-related huh? Well how about that.

I rest my case... biggrin.gif
veekry9
Small world.Made the name,been 36 years.
https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Cherohala+...4.2974335?hl=en
Run by there '79,off the interstate in the fall in a thunderstorm,reminded me of home.

Click to view attachment
veekry9
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
http://bringatrailer.com/2012/12/13/italia...-apollo-3500gt/
http://hooniverse.com/2012/05/24/hoonivers...splant-fantasy/
http://barchettasportscars.com/62.html

Click to view attachment
3L Formula 1 Championship winning V8.
The previous year they won the Constructors with the stock block.
Great potential and a light alternative.
Note they used a flat crank on a 3L or less race motor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rover_V8_engine
: As the aluminium block made this engine one of the lightest stock V8s built, it was an obvious choice for use in racing. Mickey Thompson entered a car powered by this engine in the 1962 Indianapolis 500. From 1946 to 1962 there had not been a single stock-block car entered in this famous race. In 1962 the Buick 215 was the only non-Offenhauser powered entry in the field of 33 cars. Rookie driver Dan Gurney qualified 7th and raced well for 92 laps before retiring with transmission problems.

Click to view attachment

That's some pedigree for the V8 block,nothing second rate about it.
http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=13228
Dispels misinformation about what is available for this lightweight V8.
falcor75
The V8 out of a Volvo XC 90 is apparently very small for a V8, its designed by Yamaha if I remember correcly....perhaps something to look into?
Mike Bellis
When will someone use this? 2.8L, 400hp @10,000 rpm...

http://www.h1v8.com/page/page/1562069.htm

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
veekry9
Click to view attachment
Rover porn,bike tb's?
Nope.
http://www.jenvey.co.uk/
I am sure they can meet your requirements.
veekry9
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Jan 8 2015, 01:28 AM) *

When will someone use this? 2.8L, 400hp @10,000 rpm...

A lottery ticket and I'm there.Where I'm at now is the wrecking yard diamond in the rough.
veekry9
QUOTE(falcor75 @ Jan 8 2015, 12:27 AM) *

The V8 out of a Volvo XC 90 is apparently very small for a V8, its designed by Yamaha if I remember correcly....perhaps something to look into?

A new Yamaha V8 engine was added in 2005. This 4.4-litre Volvo B8444S engine produced 288 hp (215 kW) for the first few models later upgraded to 311 hp (232 kW) and 325 lb·ft (441 N·m) of torque. Volvo sold just over 40,000 XC90 units in North America that year.[5]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volvo_B8444S_engine
Why the recyclers must have plenty to choose from.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ENGINE-2005-2011-V...vo|Model%3AXC90
A 60 deg V8,just like the Ford Sherman tank engine.The numbers are there.
Spoke
I'm in the market for an engine more powerful than the 1.8L T4 now in my car.

Details about my 914: its a rust bucket from the rust belt; mostly repaired. Twisted frame from rear-end collision; reconstructed title; probably not worth that much. 911 3-in front suspension; redrilled 5-lug rear hubs with vented rotors; 6x16 front Fuchs; 7x16 rear Fuchs. Runs well and starts every time.

So the car isn't worth that much and I want more power. What is the most cost effective engine swap? I'm not looking for a killer engine, just something with 100-150 HP or so that won't break the bank.

I have a 2L core that I was intending to rebuild but not sure if the rebuild cost will eclipse the car's value so I'm thinking of other engine possibilities.
mgp4591
How bad is the rust? I know from browsing around the site that it seems to be a variable term- even mine is getting the floors replaced along with a minor hell hole issue before my new drivetrain goes in but mine has good longs and a decent body. Is it a little work or alot of work? confused24.gif
veekry9
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=247964

QUOTE(JRust @ Jan 11 2015, 04:15 PM) *

The v8 was ditched long ago. Car has been a roller for 2 years at least now. The buick 215 weight wise was great. I was still just under 2200lbs with my 70 914 with it in there. That motor is really deep with the water pump really sticking out. With my tranny in the stock location they cut out the firewall & made a cap for it to work. I had plans of putting an LS1 in its place. Even had the motor for a while but just didn't have the time to get to it. Eventually sold the motor.

I bought my current suby not long after. Just love that car & really love the subaru conversions period. Was figuring on a eg33 six but the WRX turbo motor is great. So when that came up I jumped.

For this setup I don't want to reinvent the wheel. It may go in as close to how it came out as possible. I am looking at all my options with it. Which include what I can do to improve the setup. I'd love nothing more than to throw it in & drive it. At the same time if I need to make some changes. I want to do it all before its in.

As it stands I need to do something different to mount the motor. I don't have a cradle for it. I might be able to copy my current cradle on the 2.5. I don't think I can & keep the motor with exhaust as it sits. I like the idea of coming from the front as it takes the exhaust out of the equation. Even using the headers to move the turbo in front would work with that mount. I won't know until I get it here & can physically compare things. I would like to do this the easiest way possible. Ideally if I can bolt is up with it's current setup. I will do that & just figure a way to mount it. Whatever I end up doing I will document here in this thread. The build threads are the best here when people post what they did & why. Everyone here helps get it to a finished car. Thats why I posted to get input from those who may have a better way. I don't claim to be a genius by any means confused24.gif

Q
The v8 was ditched long ago. Car has been a roller for 2 years at least now. The buick 215 weight wise was great. I was still just under 2200lbs with my 70 914 with it in there. That motor is really deep with the water pump really sticking out. With my tranny in the stock location they cut out the firewall & made a cap for it to work.
Q
Yeah for sure the waterpump should be moved to fit nicely in a 914 without any firewall butchery.
Lose the dizzy,cut the crank back closer to the timing chain or gear and fab a lightweight cover.
Use a thinner damper and serpentine ancillary drive.The why of it is of course the iron sleeves rather than the coated aluminum bores.
The wedge heads work just fine until your power demand becomes greater than what they can flow.SirJack cast his own heads and won big.
sixnotfour
You're Real question should be Durability.....T-4 wont last compared to LS1.....compromise subaroooooooooo
914work
Durability? Ok so back to intentions. Most of us dont use these cars as daily drivers, (Hmm maybe that's worth a POLL) so should that even be a consideration?
JRust
Yes I ran the buick 215 v8 for about 4 years. Oil leaks are definitely an issue you'll deal with. Mine was built & supposedly putting out 260hp. From my rear I would say it was more like 180 or so. You can make it work but with the suby options & the LS1 I don't know why you would. You still need to do an adapter plate & all the conversion stuff you'd need with any water cooled car. So while you can get the 215 to work. You'd spend more getting it right than using a newer motor.
veekry9
KENNEDY ENGINEERED PRODUCTS
38822 17th Street East
Palmdale, California, 93550
(661) 272–1147
FAX (661) 272-1575
Please call between 7:00 A.M. - 3:00 P.M.
M-F
email: kennedy@kennedyeng.com

KEP P#1000

Buick/Olds to 914/VW TX
veekry9

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNfq310iOTI

Hmm..an F1 winning block in a 914.Sure,that can work with a little calculating.

Click to view attachment

This is the bottom end of the RepcoBrabham block.
Steel caps and cross bolted with a modified y-block skirt.
Billet 4340 crank and rods.
A custom camchain housing was cast up and fastened to the front of the block.
The coolant passages moved from the front.
Beautiful.
sixnotfour
QUOTE(914werke @ Jan 11 2015, 08:22 PM) *

Durability? Ok so back to intentions. Most of us dont use these cars as daily drivers, (Hmm maybe that's worth a POLL) so should that even be a consideration?

Youre kidding Right ?? hooped up t-4 compared to LS-1... av-943.gif

An LS1 is 350 hp and with the factory injection will both start and run like a dream.

A real done up type 4 will sound much nicer but obviolsuy about a bit more than half the power.
veekry9
Click to view attachment

This is the stock Oldsmobile 215 block in 1965 as modified by Jack Brabham.

High stack injection,a dizzy run off the back of the chain drive or a stub shaft in the valley.The waterpump is driven by the stubshaft.
The coolant pipes are brazed tubing directing water to the block and heads.The drysump scavenger pump is driven by a Gilmer belt.
Some of these ideas are suitable for a shorter engine length to fit more easily in the 914 bay.
A transverse installation is also possible with a wide selection of FWD gearboxes both auto and manual for cheap.

http://rodneydickman.com/getraginfo.htm

A Northstar+F40 Getrag 6spd is a viable option for 300+ hp

http://www.richardmoser.com/DOHC.htm
http://www.richardmoser.com/
A really sharp engineer.

lol-2.gif
That's hilarious,I had pants similar to those,bells in the '70s,a fad fashion statement.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.