Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

11 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> LS1 or smokin hot type 4 ?, Driveability ?
Rand
post Dec 29 2014, 08:29 PM
Post #41

Cross Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,573
Region Association: None

LS.... what now? 3 or more? It's not cast iron any more boys. Show me a Porsche engine that can put out.... say... both 500 hp and torque. And be honest about weight. And then of course there's cost..... LS3 crate engine seems like a sweet answer.

Oh sorry, just thinking out loud. I'll take the Porsche six for 5x more money. Seriously, that's what I want.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Dec 30 2014, 02:08 AM
Post #42

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

QUOTE(messix @ Dec 29 2014, 07:04 PM) *

wow!

the last bunch of comments here really don't sound like the community that I know on this site !

whether or not "you" like or don't, would or would not have, drive, build, buy, is not the problem.

the problem is the berating tone that spews forth!

if this is not your cup of tea, then be productive and respectful with your posts or shut the hell up!

I might not like the side stripes, painted bumpers, or other stupid stuff you might do to your car.... but I'll keep that to my self and congratulate you on making your car that way you like it !

I would hate to see this "non-club" turn into a c/w self important derisive place where you cant think or do out side of what the self chosen keepers of what's allowed and tolerated with these cars.

Geez, no kidding! You'd think we all drove "real Porsches" or something (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) I always thought that was the fun of owning one of these little cars- kind of a re-engineered race car for the street. Hell, it's got everything you'd want and then some, 'cept a back seat and we all know where that can go.... Use disrection when you "re-engineer" yours and you'll have lots of fun! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Dec 30 2014, 02:21 AM
Post #43

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

QUOTE(CptTripps @ Dec 29 2014, 10:44 AM) *

QUOTE(Bruce Hinds @ Dec 29 2014, 11:53 AM) *

Wow . . .

Interesting that nobody actually mentioned that the V8 doesn't weigh that much more. I don't know how much lighter the LS is than the SBC, but the iron head and block SBC with all associated hardware only adds 250 lbs to the total car weight and the weight distribution is still 49/51%. It's no more than noticeable than taking a big friend for a ride.

The purist will bark all day long about how you ruin the handling, and the need to go bigger wheels and brakes. I agree to some extent, but the modification don't have to be extreme.

The weight may not change all that much, but WHERE the weight is does effect the car. I bought my car with a SB350 and am changing to a Subie for this exact reason. (And the trans...and the turbo...and the other upgrades possible.)

QUOTE(Bruce Hinds @ Dec 29 2014, 11:53 AM) *

Drive one before you decide . . .

Best advice so far.

Doug, SOT but I've never seen what they're using for the cradle on a V8... is it round or square tubing and approx. what size? I'll be making my own and I'd like a comparison. Thanks!
+Quote Post
Rand
post Dec 30 2014, 04:04 AM
Post #44

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573

Ok, all this. Shall I repost what the OP asked? "
> LS1 or smokin hot type 4 ?, Driveability ?"

An ls1 will be smooth.
A smokin hot tiv will be..... What? You didn't ask??? What do you want???? 200hp? Then fail and pick up parts from the hand grenade.

This is NOT apples and oranges.

300hp from an LS1, will run no problem for 100,000 miles.

Let's just go LS3!!! Why Not!?????

+Quote Post
914_3.0
post Dec 30 2014, 11:19 AM
Post #45

Member No.: 16,856
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(DBCooper @ Dec 29 2014, 12:33 PM) *

QUOTE(914_3.0 @ Dec 29 2014, 11:31 AM) *

The last thing I would do is put a bowtie in my beautifully balanced little machine. Just saying. Maybe a Franken-teen website?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif)

Wow. That was sure rude.

Can I respectfully ask if you've ever actually driven one of those cars that makes you puke?

Sorry if you were offended by what was only intended as a poke of fun DB. Respectfully, you seem a little sensitive. Did I berate someone personally somehow, as you just did? I just stated my opinion. I don't like Chebbys. I thought that's what forums were for.

The combination does nothing for me not even having driven it, sorry. Happy New Year 914World (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) I'll try to be less rude next year!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Dec 30 2014, 11:28 AM
Post #46

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(914_3.0 @ Dec 30 2014, 12:19 PM) *

QUOTE(DBCooper @ Dec 29 2014, 12:33 PM) *

QUOTE(914_3.0 @ Dec 29 2014, 11:31 AM) *

The last thing I would do is put a bowtie in my beautifully balanced little machine. Just saying. Maybe a Franken-teen website?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif)

Wow. That was sure rude.

Can I respectfully ask if you've ever actually driven one of those cars that makes you puke?

Sorry if you were offended by what was only intended as a poke of fun DB. Respectfully, you seem a little sensitive. Did I berate someone personally somehow, as you just did? I just stated my opinion. I don't like Chebbys. I thought that's what forums were for.

The combination does nothing for me not even having driven it, sorry. Happy New Year 914World (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) I'll try to be less rude next year!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

Yes DB is a little sensitive, at least you didn't get a nasty PM (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Right Paul? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)
+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Dec 30 2014, 11:55 AM
Post #47

14's in the 13's with ATTITUDE

Member No.: 2,618
Region Association: Northern California

Yeah, I've been driving a 914/Subaru for a while now so I'm getting more used to "your stuped" comments.

+Quote Post
CptTripps
post Dec 30 2014, 12:00 PM
Post #48

:: Punch and Pie ::

Member No.: 3,342
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Dec 30 2014, 03:21 AM) *

QUOTE(CptTripps @ Dec 29 2014, 10:44 AM) *

The weight may not change all that much, but WHERE the weight is does effect the car. I bought my car with a SB350 and am changing to a Subie for this exact reason. (And the trans...and the turbo...and the other upgrades possible.)

Doug, SOT but I've never seen what they're using for the cradle on a V8... is it round or square tubing and approx. what size? I'll be making my own and I'd like a comparison. Thanks!

Mine was a Renegade kit that was a square-tube cradle. The oil pan does go pretty low and close to the ground. The other issue is that the pan is quite tall, so the bulk of the block goes up quite a bit higher than the flat-4 motor.

I can't stress this enough. DRIVE one before you make a decision. I've had a "hot 4" 914 before, and when I bought my latest car, it had a renegade V8 in it, along with the 4-speed modified 901. The handling is a bit different, and I'd hate for you to put a bunch of time/work into something, only to realize later it's not what you were hoping for. It WAS a lot of fun to drive, but sounded like an 80's Camaro. I just never really liked driving it as much as I did the 2.0 flat-4 I had in my 73.

To get ahead of the haters: I went for the Subie conversion without driving one, but looking at the weight numbers was only part of my decision. The Subie trans and the turbo were my major points. Coupled with a large number of "upgrade" options, I was sold on the Subie. I'm VERY happy that I did the conversion, and I can't wait to have it completed in the coming months.

If I had to do it over again, I'd got with a Subaru H6. Less expensive than a Porsche 6....by a lot. Lots of upgrade parts available. Plenty of support here to get you up and rolling quickly. Plenty of HP. Seems like the best of both worlds. My next 914 build (yes, I'm already planning another) will be a Subie H6.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Dec 30 2014, 12:02 PM
Post #49

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(DBCooper @ Dec 30 2014, 12:55 PM) *

Yeah, I've been driving a 914/Subaru for a while now so I'm getting more used to "your stuped" comments.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/rlv.zcache.com-26-1419962536.1.jpg)
+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Dec 30 2014, 12:06 PM
Post #50

14's in the 13's with ATTITUDE

Member No.: 2,618

Oh crap, it's too late for Christmas now and that would have been PERFECT. Damn!

"Hi. I'm Stu."

+Quote Post
r_towle
post Dec 30 2014, 04:58 PM
Post #51

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

I have an audi a8 with a 4.2 liter OVERHEAD camshaft engine.
Its really quick, really smooth and really common in germany.

So, its the same motor at the porsche cayenne and the porsche panamera.

Seems like a simple enough swap to do except the fuel injection.

Aside from the awesome car that Marty is creating, has anyone found anyone that has used this 4.2 liter motor in anything else?
Just like to see how they get around several transplant issues, but mainly ignition and fuel injection...which would both need to be custom unless you take everything from the donor car, like the gauges, ignition switch, all of that stuff.

rich
+Quote Post
BIGKAT_83
post Dec 30 2014, 05:20 PM
Post #52

Member No.: 194
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(r_towle @ Dec 30 2014, 05:58 PM) *

Aside from the awesome car that Marty is creating, has anyone found anyone that has used this 4.2 liter motor in anything else?
Just like to see how they get around several transplant issues, but mainly ignition and fuel injection...which would both need to be custom unless you take everything from the donor car, like the gauges, ignition switch, all of that stuff.

rich

I've seen 3 Boxsters using that engine . Bolts right up to the boxster transaxle. 2 of them done here in Atlanta both using megasquirt ecus
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Dec 30 2014, 05:43 PM
Post #53

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Dec 30 2014, 06:20 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Dec 30 2014, 05:58 PM) *

rich

I've seen 3 Boxsters using that engine . Bolts right up to the boxster transaxle. 2 of them done here in Atlanta both using megasquirt ecus

i know it works with the boxster transaxle, and that is also key.
You dont know if there are any build threads or contact for the car owners???

rich
+Quote Post
cali914
post Dec 30 2014, 05:49 PM
Post #54

cali914

Member No.: 5,934

The 914 is a great car whether it has a subie, LS, Audi type 4 or even an S2000 or K series engine. It really depends on the person who is driving it and what combination they prefer. I owned a a 914 with a small block 350 then bought a world small block 427 which was a piece of sh..., My only complaint was figuring out the correct gearbox to use. I had a Pantera ZF which could handle the power but the shift pattern was annoying. The Mendiola is a good choice but way to expensive. The 930 is okay but you have to have someone who can flip the ring and pinion and re-weld the case. I am all for people trying different engine combinations and sharing their experience so that all of us can learn what we think is the ultimate 914. In my opinion the ultimate 914 is the one that is running and you enjoy driving it. HC
+Quote Post
got914?
post Dec 30 2014, 05:55 PM
Post #55

Member No.: 17,993

QUOTE(cali914 @ Dec 30 2014, 06:49 PM) *

I am all for people trying different engine combinations and sharing their experience so that all of us can learn what we think is the ultimate 914. In my opinion the ultimate 914 is the one that is running and you enjoy driving it. HC

Well Said
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Dec 30 2014, 06:08 PM
Post #56

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

What is your expected budget and time frame?

Looking back at some of your other posts it looks like you've already pulled the stock motor.... you might be lucky if you can get 1/4 of the $ you need for a decent Big /4 or V8 conversion with the sale of your stock 1.7.

+Quote Post
thelogo
post Dec 30 2014, 09:31 PM
Post #57

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 11,572

http://m.chevrolet.com/performance/crate-e...ml#.VKNtPJGIaSw

Of all the crate motor s this one looked the best to me ,but 9 k is a bit steep
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Dec 30 2014, 10:14 PM
Post #58

Advanced Member

Member No.: 11,316
Region Association: South East States

It greatly depends upon your goals and objectives with the car. There really isn't a wrong answer to your question. I, for one, wouldn't consider opinions of those who haven't owned (read extensive seat time) cars with both power-plants (you're asking about). This , however, cuts the number of experienced posters seriously down.

I've owned both types of motors. The T4 car was a FAT Performance 2.4 liter stroker with 160 hp ($11G's - engine only)! Very nice for street but under powered and the downside of all air-cooled motors - stench. The conversion was an LS2. FI is a huge plus and can be driven more smoothly than the T4 around town. In fact, it always reminded me of a factory car.

You really need to find some way to drive both before making a decision. I will personally never go back to an air-cooled engine but can talk myself temporarily into why others might (it really is a hard sell though). Again, drive both on nicely executed cars and I promise you the decision will be very easy.

Tony
+Quote Post
914werke
post Dec 30 2014, 11:54 PM
Post #59

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Hmmm ...good debate. Im one of those "few" that has driven a variety of configurations.
Stock (all disp.'s), /6 (carbed /FI), Subi (NA & turbo), Buick V6 & V8, SBC...
Never an auto though.
For what its worth...Im going big 4.
2366 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Dec 31 2014, 01:07 AM
Post #60

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Dec 30 2014, 09:54 PM) *

Hmmm ...good debate. Im one of those "few" that has driven a variety of configurations.
Stock (all disp.'s), /6 (carbed /FI), Subi (NA & turbo), Buick V6 & V8, SBC...
Never an auto though.
For what its worth...Im going big 4.
2366 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

What is the driving factor(s) behind that decision?

Cost, time to get it back on the road or just 'cause you like the big /4 so much?
+Quote Post

11 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th June 2024 - 08:37 AM