Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> RD Engine Shelf positioning, …how much allowance do I have?
OllieG
post Jan 8 2015, 10:47 AM
Post #1

OllieG

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,282
Region Association: England

Hi,

I'm welding in a new passenger engine shelf from RD after hell hole repairs and chassis stiffening. Other than the driver's side shelf I don't have anything to reference its position.

Is the passenger shelf pretty much a mirror of the driver's in terms of how far out it sticks out from the main chassis member?

And how much allowance for error does the engine rubber seal give you?…better to be too close to the chassis than too far, right?..we're talking mm's here! It's been so long since there was an engine in this car I forgot what it looks like installed..

Thanks all..

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
malcolm2
post Jan 8 2015, 12:35 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,139
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(OllieG @ Jan 8 2015, 10:47 AM) *

Hi,

I'm welding in a new passenger engine shelf from RD after hell hole repairs and chassis stiffening. Other than the driver's side shelf I don't have anything to reference its position.

Is the passenger shelf pretty much a mirror of the driver's in terms of how far out it sticks out from the main chassis member?

And how much allowance for error does the engine rubber seal give you?…better to be too close to the chassis than too far, right?..we're talking mm's here! It's been so long since there was an engine in this car I forgot what it looks like installed..

Thanks all..

I don't think there is much allowance. IMO, you are correct about the mirror image.

I'll look for some pix of mine without the engine in the car and update this evening. I just Googled 914 engine bay and got lots WITH the engine in the car.

If your engine is built with the tins on it... measure that.

The shelf should fit snugly against the uni-body, right?

here is one picture... not mine. Snug, right?
Attached Image
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jan 8 2015, 12:44 PM
Post #3

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Jan 8 2015, 10:35 AM) *
The shelf should fit snugly against the uni-body

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
BeatNavy
post Jan 8 2015, 01:07 PM
Post #4

Certified Professional Scapegoat

Member No.: 17,042
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I will need to do this in the hopefully not too distant future as well.

Here's a link to a thread I bookmarked for that purpose: Shelf Positioning
+Quote Post
saigon71
post Jan 8 2015, 03:17 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 10,428

I believe the "mirror image" philosophy is correct on these parts. If you still have good metal at the front & rear where the shelf mounts, that should give a decent guide on where you need to be.

Additionally, level the car if possible and measure up from the garage floor to the bottom of the drivers side shelf. Match that measurement on the passenger side for proper up-down height.

If you cant level the car, measure off a fixed point on the drivers side (maybe engine bar mount fixture).

I had a lot of trial & error with fitment of this piece...in particular, at the front where it curves down to the long.

Here are a couple of pics I found:

Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post
OllieG
post Jan 8 2015, 03:53 PM
Post #6

OllieG

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 8 2015, 06:44 PM) *

QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Jan 8 2015, 10:35 AM) *
The shelf should fit snugly against the uni-body

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Thanks guys. Yep, no question the shelf should fit tight to the chassis..but what I need to be careful is how far the shelf sticks out so there's just the right gap between the engine tin and the shelf so the rubber seal has the right amount of space to sit in....I' ll reference the driver side.
+Quote Post
OllieG
post Jan 8 2015, 04:00 PM
Post #7

OllieG

QUOTE(saigon71 @ Jan 8 2015, 09:17 PM) *

I believe the "mirror image" philosophy is correct on these parts. If you still have good metal at the front & rear where the shelf mounts, that should give a decent guide on where you need to be.

Additionally, level the car if possible and measure up from the garage floor to the bottom of the drivers side shelf. Match that measurement on the passenger side for proper up-down height.

If you cant level the car, measure off a fixed point on the drivers side (maybe engine bar mount fixture).

I had a lot of trial & error with fitment of this piece...in particular, at the front where it curves down to the long.

Hi Bob, I remember you did this job too.. One issue I have is that the RD piece requires the edge flanges bending and I'm finding it tricky to know exactly where the bend should be....if the flanges are too short then the shelf sticks out too far and vice versa.

I reckon I'm nearly there..but like you say, lots of trial and error.

Thanks.
+Quote Post
cn2800
post Jan 8 2015, 11:27 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 17,766
Region Association: None

I have the engine out of my car. If you don't get measurements by tomorrow afternoon, I'll get them for you.
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Jan 9 2015, 03:58 PM
Post #9

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

Passenger rear

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i290.photobucket.com-666-1420840692.1.jpg)

Passenger front

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i290.photobucket.com-666-1420840693.2.jpg)

Drivers front for reference

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i290.photobucket.com-666-1420840694.3.jpg)
+Quote Post
OllieG
post Jan 10 2015, 05:32 AM
Post #10

OllieG

Gotta love 914World! Thanks Curt..

Will post pics when it's done..
+Quote Post
OllieG
post Jan 12 2015, 03:42 PM
Post #11

OllieG

Here's the result…I pretty much mirrored the driver's shelf for measurements. Let's hope it works out when the engine goes in!

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i1235.photobucket.com-13282-1421098946.1.jpg)

I also had to fabricate the box section at the back of the shelf. I welded the battery tray support in place while I was at it too and then finished it all up with a epoxy primer.

Don't look at the drips I'll sand them flat before the next coat!!

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i1235.photobucket.com-13282-1421098946.2.jpg)
+Quote Post
stevegm
post Jan 12 2015, 03:46 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,633

QUOTE(OllieG @ Jan 12 2015, 04:42 PM) *

Here's the result…I pretty much mirrored the driver's shelf for measurements. Let's hope it works out when the engine goes in!

I also had to fabricate the box section at the back of the shelf. I welded the battery tray support in place while I was at it too and then finished it all up with a epoxy primer.

Don't look at the drips I'll sand them flat before the next coat!!

Looks really good. Great job.
+Quote Post
BeatNavy
post Jan 12 2015, 04:32 PM
Post #13

Certified Professional Scapegoat

Member No.: 17,042

I agree, thanks for posting the result Ollie. Got this one bookmarked now for reference when I have to tackle it!
+Quote Post
malcolm2
post Jan 13 2015, 09:47 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,139

That does look nice...

What about the battery tray? you got the stand, but not tray. It is an easy weld job, but you painted everything up so nicely.
+Quote Post
OllieG
post Jan 13 2015, 10:13 AM
Post #15

OllieG

QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Jan 13 2015, 03:47 PM) *

That does look nice...

What about the battery tray? you got the stand, but not tray. It is an easy weld job, but you painted everything up so nicely.

Good question..I had watched RD's YouTube 'How To' for the battery tray install and planned to do it this way. They pre-weld the support and the tray together before welding the whole assembly in place. Then they paint it..

But then I felt if I did it this way it would be really hard to get behind and spray the inside of the support and under the battery tray with the epoxy primer. Doing them separately means I can spray inside the support and be confident everything's getting a good coating of epoxy.

I will paint the underside of the tray before welding it onto the support and obviously wire-brush clean any surfaces where I'll be welding the tray in place.

BTW…this car is a 6cyl conversion so will have a 6cyl mount on the firewall…so prior to the engine shelf going in, I removed the 4cyl mounts (another nightmare job) and fabricated a new rear 'box' area for the engine shelf to fit to. Here are some more pics of the last few days' tasks..

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i1235.photobucket.com-13282-1421165581.1.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i1235.photobucket.com-13282-1421165581.2.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i1235.photobucket.com-13282-1421165581.3.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i1235.photobucket.com-13282-1421165581.4.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i1235.photobucket.com-13282-1421165582.5.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i1235.photobucket.com-13282-1421165582.6.jpg)

+Quote Post
saigon71
post Jan 17 2015, 09:04 AM
Post #16

Member No.: 10,428

Looks great Ollie! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) Excellent fabrication work on that back piece too.

Keep rolling like this and you will be on the road before you know it!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th May 2024 - 05:08 PM