Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: RD Engine Shelf positioning
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
OllieG
Hi,

I'm welding in a new passenger engine shelf from RD after hell hole repairs and chassis stiffening. Other than the driver's side shelf I don't have anything to reference its position.

Is the passenger shelf pretty much a mirror of the driver's in terms of how far out it sticks out from the main chassis member?

And how much allowance for error does the engine rubber seal give you?…better to be too close to the chassis than too far, right?..we're talking mm's here! It's been so long since there was an engine in this car I forgot what it looks like installed..

Thanks all..

malcolm2
QUOTE(OllieG @ Jan 8 2015, 10:47 AM) *

Hi,

I'm welding in a new passenger engine shelf from RD after hell hole repairs and chassis stiffening. Other than the driver's side shelf I don't have anything to reference its position.

Is the passenger shelf pretty much a mirror of the driver's in terms of how far out it sticks out from the main chassis member?

And how much allowance for error does the engine rubber seal give you?…better to be too close to the chassis than too far, right?..we're talking mm's here! It's been so long since there was an engine in this car I forgot what it looks like installed..

Thanks all..

I don't think there is much allowance. IMO, you are correct about the mirror image.

I'll look for some pix of mine without the engine in the car and update this evening. I just Googled 914 engine bay and got lots WITH the engine in the car.

If your engine is built with the tins on it... measure that.

The shelf should fit snugly against the uni-body, right?

here is one picture... not mine. Snug, right?
Click to view attachment
SirAndy
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Jan 8 2015, 10:35 AM) *
The shelf should fit snugly against the uni-body

agree.gif
BeatNavy
I will need to do this in the hopefully not too distant future as well.

Here's a link to a thread I bookmarked for that purpose: Shelf Positioning
saigon71
I believe the "mirror image" philosophy is correct on these parts. If you still have good metal at the front & rear where the shelf mounts, that should give a decent guide on where you need to be.

Additionally, level the car if possible and measure up from the garage floor to the bottom of the drivers side shelf. Match that measurement on the passenger side for proper up-down height.

If you cant level the car, measure off a fixed point on the drivers side (maybe engine bar mount fixture).

I had a lot of trial & error with fitment of this piece...in particular, at the front where it curves down to the long.

Here are a couple of pics I found:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

OllieG
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 8 2015, 06:44 PM) *

QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Jan 8 2015, 10:35 AM) *
The shelf should fit snugly against the uni-body

agree.gif

Thanks guys. Yep, no question the shelf should fit tight to the chassis..but what I need to be careful is how far the shelf sticks out so there's just the right gap between the engine tin and the shelf so the rubber seal has the right amount of space to sit in....I' ll reference the driver side.
OllieG
QUOTE(saigon71 @ Jan 8 2015, 09:17 PM) *

I believe the "mirror image" philosophy is correct on these parts. If you still have good metal at the front & rear where the shelf mounts, that should give a decent guide on where you need to be.

Additionally, level the car if possible and measure up from the garage floor to the bottom of the drivers side shelf. Match that measurement on the passenger side for proper up-down height.

If you cant level the car, measure off a fixed point on the drivers side (maybe engine bar mount fixture).

I had a lot of trial & error with fitment of this piece...in particular, at the front where it curves down to the long.

Hi Bob, I remember you did this job too.. One issue I have is that the RD piece requires the edge flanges bending and I'm finding it tricky to know exactly where the bend should be....if the flanges are too short then the shelf sticks out too far and vice versa.

I reckon I'm nearly there..but like you say, lots of trial and error.

Thanks.
cn2800
I have the engine out of my car. If you don't get measurements by tomorrow afternoon, I'll get them for you.
TheCabinetmaker
Passenger rear

IPB Image

Passenger front

IPB Image

Drivers front for reference

IPB Image
OllieG
Gotta love 914World! Thanks Curt..

Will post pics when it's done..
OllieG
Here's the result…I pretty much mirrored the driver's shelf for measurements. Let's hope it works out when the engine goes in!

IPB Image

I also had to fabricate the box section at the back of the shelf. I welded the battery tray support in place while I was at it too and then finished it all up with a epoxy primer.

Don't look at the drips I'll sand them flat before the next coat!!

IPB Image
stevegm
QUOTE(OllieG @ Jan 12 2015, 04:42 PM) *

Here's the result…I pretty much mirrored the driver's shelf for measurements. Let's hope it works out when the engine goes in!

I also had to fabricate the box section at the back of the shelf. I welded the battery tray support in place while I was at it too and then finished it all up with a epoxy primer.

Don't look at the drips I'll sand them flat before the next coat!!

Looks really good. Great job.
BeatNavy
I agree, thanks for posting the result Ollie. Got this one bookmarked now for reference when I have to tackle it!
malcolm2
That does look nice...

What about the battery tray? you got the stand, but not tray. It is an easy weld job, but you painted everything up so nicely.
OllieG
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Jan 13 2015, 03:47 PM) *

That does look nice...

What about the battery tray? you got the stand, but not tray. It is an easy weld job, but you painted everything up so nicely.

Good question..I had watched RD's YouTube 'How To' for the battery tray install and planned to do it this way. They pre-weld the support and the tray together before welding the whole assembly in place. Then they paint it..

But then I felt if I did it this way it would be really hard to get behind and spray the inside of the support and under the battery tray with the epoxy primer. Doing them separately means I can spray inside the support and be confident everything's getting a good coating of epoxy.

I will paint the underside of the tray before welding it onto the support and obviously wire-brush clean any surfaces where I'll be welding the tray in place.

BTW…this car is a 6cyl conversion so will have a 6cyl mount on the firewall…so prior to the engine shelf going in, I removed the 4cyl mounts (another nightmare job) and fabricated a new rear 'box' area for the engine shelf to fit to. Here are some more pics of the last few days' tasks..

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

saigon71
Looks great Ollie! beerchug.gif Excellent fabrication work on that back piece too.

Keep rolling like this and you will be on the road before you know it!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.