Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fire Suppression System, Suggestions wanted
campbellcj
post Jan 20 2015, 10:36 PM
Post #21

I can't Re Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 21
Region Association: Southern California

I have a 4L Spa AFFF system with 4 nozzles: 1) fuel cell 2) engine topside/webers, 3) driver's legs 4) driver's body/chest
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
aircooledtechguy
post Jan 21 2015, 11:41 AM
Post #22

The Aircooledtech Guy

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,730
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(stugray @ Jan 16 2015, 08:52 PM) *

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Jan 16 2015, 09:32 PM) *

I'm itching to pull the handle to see what it does. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/evilgrin.gif)

I just don't want to clean the mess. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

An ounce of prevention... I hope I never need it, but it's there just in case.

My brother installed one in his TR4 and triggered it by accident.
I wasnt there but he said IT SURE WORKS! and that it was easy to clean up.

There was no evidence afterwards.

I can attest to AFFF's easy clean-up. Just hose it down and move on. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

No less than 2 times during my tenure aboard the USS Carl Vinson (CVN-70), the on-board AFFF system was accidentally triggered by a dork in the fire control room. Each time an entire hangar bay (approx 250'x150') was flooded about 2' (FEET) deep in AFFF. . . (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) The only damage was aircraft with canopies and other electrical bays open at the time due to water getting in. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

I have also done extensive fire training with CO2, Halon, chemical agents and AFFF. AFFF without a doubt is the ONLY agent that suppresses a re-flash. Halon works like magic to put out a fire in an enclosed/partially enclosed space, but AFFF works almost as fast and only AFFF guarantees that it won't re-flash. In a pool of fuel 60' in diameter and about 1" deep, AFFF will not allow a reflash.

Dry chemical extinguishers will destroy your motor through corrosion. No matter how fast you hose the agent off, it will instantly flash rust every piece of aluminum it touches (especially carbs). It's amazing how fast it corrodes a motor. Personally, I would rather have the car burned by the fire than deal with the never-ending corrosion that dry chemicals cause. I would encourage anyone to test a chemical extinguisher on a junk car part and see how fast they are ruined.

I'm going to be installing an AFFF system on my Squareback when the time comes. I carry CO2 now.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2024 - 05:43 AM