Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> CA DMV Heritage Plates, DMV cancels program
Cairo94507
post Jan 19 2015, 08:24 AM
Post #1

Michael

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

So about a year ago DMV announced the Heritage plate program so people could buy the yellow/black, black/yellow or blue/yellow plates for their vintage cars.

The black/yellow was approved as they received enough orders to hit the 7,500 target. Unfortunately the blue/yellow plates, (correct for our cars) did not garner enough interest so DMV cancelled that plate program.

I just received a notice that DMV applied the $50 credit to my license for my Six. So sad that not enough people were interested in doing this.
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Krieger
post Jan 19 2015, 09:37 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,104
Region Association: None

Thats a suprise! Did not enough people hear about it, or are people too tired of sending even more money to the state?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Jan 19 2015, 09:44 AM
Post #3

Michael

I believe a large part of the problem was an almost complete lack of advertising on the part of the DMV. The cost to do the plates was $50 - Most people who have these older cars would likely be happy to pay the $50 to get the period correct plates. Sad. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jan 19 2015, 10:10 AM
Post #4

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

That's interesting, cuz I thought that the way the special plate law was written, it was for 7500 of all combined - not by each type.

A better option now is to write to your Assemblyperson & State Senator, to either make DMV authorize ALL 3 types &/or for them to instead extend out the YOM (Year of Mfgr) program out past 1969 MY, to include later MY's out to the end of the Blue/Yellow era at least (+/-1980 IIRC).

If they allowed the latter, then we could find a matching F & R set of currently unassigned Blue/Yellow plates & have them reassigned to the 914s etc. The YOM's are actually much cheaper long term, since the renewals are only $10/yr surcharge over your basic reg fees/taxes, while the Heritage sets & other personalized plates are about $70/yr extra (we have a 1960-sticker/1956-plate YOM on our vintage Avion silver-twinkie Trailer).

The other thing to write them about is to extend the smog exemption past 1975 MY - or preferably re-institute the rolling 35 year old & older rolling date for it!

Then the `76 914's will actually be attractive here again!

Keep in mind when you're scouring evil-bay & auto swap meets of all types - that you can still & before find the original plates that were on your 914 & go thru the original plate re-assignment program - assuming it was originally or in the 70's was a CA licensed car. It's a harder hunt, but it's more likely that those plate came off & went into somebody's garage boxes or wall - than got put on another car back in the day or since.

So you'd first need the current plate & VIN, then get the original or prior plate # (#'s) & then try to get the PO's from DMV.

If your 914 has been continuously registered active or Non-Op in any US state or territory - or at least not more than a 5-7 yr. gap - then it's likely that CA-DMV still has the microfilm records in their archived records storage, & you can download the DMV Info Request form pdf on their website & file it with the fees to request them to research all past owners & plates for a fee (IIRC $20 per each record - guess high if you don't know).

If not - for now - I see a lot of classic car guys who repaint their current plates to the appropriate era colors, but I understand that is strictly illegal, but maybe only a fix-it ticket if the cops bother with it.

Anyway - it's not a lost cause, but we'd just have to work with other classic car groups & the wider 70's classics owners at large, in order to get the state to bring back the Blue/Yellow Heritage plates, & we'd need to convince them that they'd make money for the state by having them in all 3 types.

Fortunately I still have my original plates, but can't get the past records due to it's not being registered nor non-op for 25+ years sitting in my garage since 5/85.

Tom
///////
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jan 19 2015, 10:12 AM
Post #5

TMI....

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jan 19 2015, 07:44 AM) *

I believe a large part of the problem was an almost complete lack of advertising on the part of the DMV. The cost to do the plates was $50 - Most people who have these older cars would likely be happy to pay the $50 to get the period correct plates. Sad. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Hmmm (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) ... have you considered getting your "71 Six" or similar in a personalized plate & then repainting to match your avatar!? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Jan 19 2015, 10:28 AM
Post #6

Michael

I already have a new blue/yellow for my car...I only have one though and wanted two of the actual DMV issued ones to be safe. I do not intend to install a front plate on my car. And if I had to I would never drill holes in the front bumper.

I am quite sure a cop would never notice as I actually have the DMV issued personalized plate "71 Six" in white/blue. So if I were to be stopped and they looked at the registration all will be 100% legit.
+Quote Post
McMark
post Jan 19 2015, 10:43 AM
Post #7

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

I think the problem was the pre-order system. I didn't sign up because of that. If I could have just bought plate, I would have at least three sets. Glad to hear they credited back the $50. I really didn't think that would happen.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jan 19 2015, 01:25 PM
Post #8

TMI....

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jan 19 2015, 08:28 AM) *

I already have a new blue/yellow for my car...I only have one though and wanted two of the actual DMV issued ones to be safe. I do not intend to install a front plate on my car. And if I had to I would never drill holes in the front bumper.

I am quite sure a cop would never notice as I actually have the DMV issued personalized plate "71 Six" in white/blue. So if I were to be stopped and they looked at the registration all will be 100% legit.

Yes Michael - DMV will NOT issue them back to a vehicle without BOTH (2) matching plates (someone in FL online may be able to make the 2nd up??) - except on trailers & cycles that only had 1 plate. They only look at them when you apply inside the office & you can't install them until approved anyway, so whether one goes on front is.....??

From a collectors' point of view, the originals are better than the personalized ones generally speaking.

BTW - ALL of the original steel 70-74 front bumpers had the rectangular/square holes to mount the front plate holders, so you wouldn't have to drill even if stopped for lacking one - UNLESS somebody had them welded close & then rechromed, as my OO 71 914/4 buddy had done!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-10742-1421646697.jpg)
> Two original 1970 914-6's at the Zone 8 Concours this past Saturday (look closely), as posted at my 918 Weissach topic.

Cheers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Jan 19 2015, 02:00 PM
Post #9

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

Bummer.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
green914
post Jan 19 2015, 03:02 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 12,874

I never heard about any offer from DMV on Heritage Plates. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
pete000
post Jan 19 2015, 03:05 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 12,094
Region Association: South East States

Figures...
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Jan 19 2015, 03:26 PM
Post #12

Michael

My front bumper has been modified to allow for cooling for my front oil cooler. I will have the license plate holes welded and then the whole thing will get chromed.
+Quote Post
john77
post Jan 19 2015, 06:15 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 17,027

This sucks. I would have ordered two sets too, but I never even heard about it.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th May 2024 - 11:46 AM