Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CA DMV Heritage Plates
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cairo94507
So about a year ago DMV announced the Heritage plate program so people could buy the yellow/black, black/yellow or blue/yellow plates for their vintage cars.

The black/yellow was approved as they received enough orders to hit the 7,500 target. Unfortunately the blue/yellow plates, (correct for our cars) did not garner enough interest so DMV cancelled that plate program.

I just received a notice that DMV applied the $50 credit to my license for my Six. So sad that not enough people were interested in doing this.
Krieger
Thats a suprise! Did not enough people hear about it, or are people too tired of sending even more money to the state?
Cairo94507
I believe a large part of the problem was an almost complete lack of advertising on the part of the DMV. The cost to do the plates was $50 - Most people who have these older cars would likely be happy to pay the $50 to get the period correct plates. Sad. sad.gif
Tom_T
That's interesting, cuz I thought that the way the special plate law was written, it was for 7500 of all combined - not by each type.

A better option now is to write to your Assemblyperson & State Senator, to either make DMV authorize ALL 3 types &/or for them to instead extend out the YOM (Year of Mfgr) program out past 1969 MY, to include later MY's out to the end of the Blue/Yellow era at least (+/-1980 IIRC).

If they allowed the latter, then we could find a matching F & R set of currently unassigned Blue/Yellow plates & have them reassigned to the 914s etc. The YOM's are actually much cheaper long term, since the renewals are only $10/yr surcharge over your basic reg fees/taxes, while the Heritage sets & other personalized plates are about $70/yr extra (we have a 1960-sticker/1956-plate YOM on our vintage Avion silver-twinkie Trailer).

The other thing to write them about is to extend the smog exemption past 1975 MY - or preferably re-institute the rolling 35 year old & older rolling date for it!

Then the `76 914's will actually be attractive here again!

Keep in mind when you're scouring evil-bay & auto swap meets of all types - that you can still & before find the original plates that were on your 914 & go thru the original plate re-assignment program - assuming it was originally or in the 70's was a CA licensed car. It's a harder hunt, but it's more likely that those plate came off & went into somebody's garage boxes or wall - than got put on another car back in the day or since.

So you'd first need the current plate & VIN, then get the original or prior plate # (#'s) & then try to get the PO's from DMV.

If your 914 has been continuously registered active or Non-Op in any US state or territory - or at least not more than a 5-7 yr. gap - then it's likely that CA-DMV still has the microfilm records in their archived records storage, & you can download the DMV Info Request form pdf on their website & file it with the fees to request them to research all past owners & plates for a fee (IIRC $20 per each record - guess high if you don't know).

If not - for now - I see a lot of classic car guys who repaint their current plates to the appropriate era colors, but I understand that is strictly illegal, but maybe only a fix-it ticket if the cops bother with it.

Anyway - it's not a lost cause, but we'd just have to work with other classic car groups & the wider 70's classics owners at large, in order to get the state to bring back the Blue/Yellow Heritage plates, & we'd need to convince them that they'd make money for the state by having them in all 3 types.

Fortunately I still have my original plates, but can't get the past records due to it's not being registered nor non-op for 25+ years sitting in my garage since 5/85.

Tom
///////
Tom_T
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jan 19 2015, 07:44 AM) *

I believe a large part of the problem was an almost complete lack of advertising on the part of the DMV. The cost to do the plates was $50 - Most people who have these older cars would likely be happy to pay the $50 to get the period correct plates. Sad. sad.gif

Hmmm idea.gif ... have you considered getting your "71 Six" or similar in a personalized plate & then repainting to match your avatar!? happy11.gif
Cairo94507
I already have a new blue/yellow for my car...I only have one though and wanted two of the actual DMV issued ones to be safe. I do not intend to install a front plate on my car. And if I had to I would never drill holes in the front bumper.

I am quite sure a cop would never notice as I actually have the DMV issued personalized plate "71 Six" in white/blue. So if I were to be stopped and they looked at the registration all will be 100% legit.
McMark
I think the problem was the pre-order system. I didn't sign up because of that. If I could have just bought plate, I would have at least three sets. Glad to hear they credited back the $50. I really didn't think that would happen.
Tom_T
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jan 19 2015, 08:28 AM) *

I already have a new blue/yellow for my car...I only have one though and wanted two of the actual DMV issued ones to be safe. I do not intend to install a front plate on my car. And if I had to I would never drill holes in the front bumper.

I am quite sure a cop would never notice as I actually have the DMV issued personalized plate "71 Six" in white/blue. So if I were to be stopped and they looked at the registration all will be 100% legit.

Yes Michael - DMV will NOT issue them back to a vehicle without BOTH (2) matching plates (someone in FL online may be able to make the 2nd up??) - except on trailers & cycles that only had 1 plate. They only look at them when you apply inside the office & you can't install them until approved anyway, so whether one goes on front is.....??

From a collectors' point of view, the originals are better than the personalized ones generally speaking.

BTW - ALL of the original steel 70-74 front bumpers had the rectangular/square holes to mount the front plate holders, so you wouldn't have to drill even if stopped for lacking one - UNLESS somebody had them welded close & then rechromed, as my OO 71 914/4 buddy had done!

popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif

IPB Image
> Two original 1970 914-6's at the Zone 8 Concours this past Saturday (look closely), as posted at my 918 Weissach topic.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
EdwardBlume
Bummer.... sad.gif
green914
I never heard about any offer from DMV on Heritage Plates. sad.gif
pete000
Figures...
Cairo94507
My front bumper has been modified to allow for cooling for my front oil cooler. I will have the license plate holes welded and then the whole thing will get chromed.
john77
This sucks. I would have ordered two sets too, but I never even heard about it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.