Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Historical plates - pro's and cons
BK911
post Jan 22 2015, 10:00 AM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,674
Region Association: None

My insurance lets me drive 5k miles per year. Doesnt matter when.
I have been pulled over several times, but never for the plates.
Only once did the cop even mention the plates.
In TN, you can drive on weekends, to shows, or to tune your vehicle.
My vehicles get tuned a LOT!!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
tumamilhem
post Jan 22 2015, 10:07 AM
Post #22

LUFTBRIGADE

Member No.: 15,092
Region Association: South East States

Not an issue in FL. I'm in Duval County in FL and I registered my LE with an authentic 1974 FL Duval tag. if the tag has not been registered before, you can register it on your car. And it's actually cheaper because all I have to renew is my yearly sticker. I can keep the car registered with that tag forever without replacing it. And it was even cheaper than buying a new tag. Keeping it really OG (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
green914
post Jan 22 2015, 12:18 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 12,874
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(bandjoey @ Jan 21 2015, 11:57 AM) *

Go with a classic car insurance co like Haggerty. Lower rates and better coverage AND you can drive all the miles you like.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
malcolm2
post Jan 22 2015, 12:55 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,139

QUOTE(BK911 @ Jan 22 2015, 10:00 AM) *

In TN, you can drive on weekends, to shows, or to tune your vehicle.
My vehicles get tuned a LOT!!

I guess I missed that MAINTENANCE line... I like that.

http://www.tn.gov/revenue/forms/titlereg/f1312901Fill-in.pdf
Antique Motor Vehicles. Per Tennessee Code Ann. § 55-4-111, a person may register a vehicle as an “antique motor vehicle” providing that certain requirements are satisfied.

The vehicle:
• Must be a motor vehicle over twenty-five (25) years old and have a non-modified engine and body,
• Can be used for participation in, or transportation to and from, club activities, exhibits, tours, parades, and similar uses as a collector’s item,
• Can only be used for general transportation on Saturday and Sunday, and
• Can be used on any day for the purpose of selling, vehicle testing, or obtaining repairs to or doing maintenance on the vehicle.
+Quote Post
aircooledtechguy
post Jan 22 2015, 02:04 PM
Post #25

The Aircooledtech Guy

Member No.: 9,730
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I've got 4 vehicles registered with "Collector Vehicle" or restored "Year Of Manufacture" plates here in WA state.

I have an absolute douche-bag State patrolman who has pulled me over 3 times for various B.S. reasons. All of which went to court and were dropped due to him not reading the laws.

I had the opportunity to test this particular law last year when I was pulled over and cited for a "collector plate violation" which was also dropped in court. The law here in WA state is so vague in how it is written, that lawmakers have given you a loop-hole large enough to drive your car through. With no mileage restrictions and language like 'pleasure drive" (which the state has not defined what constitutes a "pleasure drive"), there is no way for a ticket to stick in court.

Since I drive mine to and from my shop a lot, "taking it to my mechanic" is not a stretch in the least. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Going to hang out with friends from my car club is also allowed as is any number of other activities that are not expressly pointed out in the law according to the judge. Here in WA state, you get your collector plates and that's it for as long as you own the car and that's just fine with me. IMHO the state steals & wastes enough of my money.

+Quote Post
Ansbacher
post Jan 22 2015, 06:00 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 17,589

What I don't like about Florida's plate of this type is that it says "Antique" on it. To me, an antique is something over one hundred years old or more. The 914 is still too futuristic of a design to be labeled as an antique. I could tolerate "Classic" but that just conjures up images of sheet metal behemoths a.k.a. 50s American cars, so maybe not that either. Our plates should read "Mid-engine, scorned by the public, too bad I like it anyway".

Ansbacher
+Quote Post
type2man
post Jan 22 2015, 07:10 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 10,127

I live in Florida and have a Horseless Carriage tag on my 29 Ford hotrod. It is a permanent plate with no sticker to attach every year. One time fee and I am done. As for my 914, I plan on putting a year of make plate and registering it through Hagerty.
+Quote Post
Big Len
post Jan 22 2015, 07:34 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 16,126
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(Ansbacher @ Jan 22 2015, 07:00 PM) *

What I don't like about Florida's plate of this type is that it says "Antique" on it. To me, an antique is something over one hundred years old or more. The 914 is still too futuristic of a design to be labeled as an antique. I could tolerate "Classic" but that just conjures up images of sheet metal behemoths a.k.a. 50s American cars, so maybe not that either. Our plates should read "Mid-engine, scorned by the public, too bad I like it anyway".

Ansbacher

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) Agreed !!
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Beeliner
post Jan 22 2015, 07:41 PM
Post #29

Member No.: 17,725
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Big Len @ Jan 22 2015, 05:34 PM) *

QUOTE(Ansbacher @ Jan 22 2015, 07:00 PM) *

Ansbacher

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) Agreed !!

In Connecticut you now have a choice... "Antique Plate" with the stupid old car icon, or the new "Classic Car' plate. Much nicer
+Quote Post
bigkensteele
post Jan 22 2015, 08:17 PM
Post #30

Major Member

Member No.: 2,660

Ohio:

General Information
To qualify, motor vehicles must be at least 25 years old. They are solely collector's items and are used for participation in club activities, exhibitions, tours, parades, etc. They are NOT for general transportation.

Registrant Eligibility
These plates may be issued to any Ohio motorist. The vehicle must be 25 years of age or older. It is a collector's vehicle used in participation in club activities, exhibitions, tours, parades, but NOT for general transportation.

Title Requirements
Ohio Certificate of Title issued in individual's name, either singly or jointly, or the name is the same name on the lease agreement.

Vehicle Information
These plates may be issued to any vehicle.

Type of Plates
Stock, reserved, or personalized plates inscribed with the words Historical Vehicle Ohio (personalized plates may now contain up to six characters). Model Year Plates are also permitted.

Issuance Information
Applicant must complete Form BMV 4806 (affidavit).

Cost
There is a one-time fee of $10.00. The fee is determined by Ohio Revised Code section 4503.181.

Fees New Renewal
License Tax $21.00 $0.00
New Plate Charge* $7.50 $0.00
Deputy Fee $3.50 $3.50
Plate Reflectorization Fee $0.25 per plate $0.00
County Sticker(s) $0.25 $0.00
Postage** current rate current rate

The $7.50 fee does not apply if it is the first time the vehicle is registered by the owner or if the vehicle has not been plated in the last 12 months.

No postage is required if renewed at Deputy Registrar.
+Quote Post
Bulldog9
post Jan 22 2015, 08:29 PM
Post #31

Member No.: 16,283
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Many states have different laws and types of registrations and expectations. I think honesty is the best policy, especially when it comes to insurance.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2024 - 07:40 AM