Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Great book, OT
GeorgeRud
post Jan 23 2015, 07:10 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,482
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Though it only has a passing reference to a 914, and some 911 Targa references, I wanted to make folks aware of a fun read, Memoirs of a Hack Mechanic by Rob Siegel. Those of you that are also BMW Club members may have read his columns, but I was not aware of him, and he's a great read ( kind of like Peter Egan was at R&T). I think a lot of us share his same life experiences and the same hours spent in the garage.

If you're looking for a nice read for the winter nights, give it a try!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
pvollma
post Jan 23 2015, 09:45 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 15,862
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Well, if we're going to have a thread on great books, I nominate "How To Repair Your Foreign Car" by Dick O'Kane. Mr. O'Kane used to write for Car & Driver or Road & Track, can't remember which (or maybe both), always providing a humorous bent to a useful article. While he spends a lot of time with British cars, most of the stuff in the book applies to cars in general, and sports cars in particular. How can you not appreciate a book with chapter titles such as "Why, When Britannia Rules the Waves, Will Her Cars Not Go Through A Puddle?" and "'Carburetor' Is A French Word Meaning 'Leave It Alone'"? Still available through Amazon.
+Quote Post
moldygreg
post Jan 23 2015, 10:58 PM
Post #3

Stay Golden

Member No.: 15,253
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Jan 23 2015, 05:10 PM) *

Though it only has a passing reference to a 914, and some 911 Targa references, I wanted to make folks aware of a fun read, Memoirs of a Hack Mechanic by Rob Siegel. Those of you that are also BMW Club members may have read his columns, but I was not aware of him, and he's a great read ( kind of like Peter Egan was at R&T). I think a lot of us share his same life experiences and the same hours spent in the garage.

If you're looking for a nice read for the winter nights, give it a try!

It's a great read. I actually need to read it again! Would love to see a good read's thread here posted.

Will check out the books nominated above -- got a long plane ride coming up so it's great timing. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sunglasses.gif)

+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Jan 23 2015, 11:16 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Bert Levy's great 'The Last Open Road' is also a fun read about the early days of the sports car scene in the 50s. Then he has a series that follows up on the story, but start with that one.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th May 2024 - 07:58 AM