Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Great book
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GeorgeRud
Though it only has a passing reference to a 914, and some 911 Targa references, I wanted to make folks aware of a fun read, Memoirs of a Hack Mechanic by Rob Siegel. Those of you that are also BMW Club members may have read his columns, but I was not aware of him, and he's a great read ( kind of like Peter Egan was at R&T). I think a lot of us share his same life experiences and the same hours spent in the garage.

If you're looking for a nice read for the winter nights, give it a try!
pvollma
Well, if we're going to have a thread on great books, I nominate "How To Repair Your Foreign Car" by Dick O'Kane. Mr. O'Kane used to write for Car & Driver or Road & Track, can't remember which (or maybe both), always providing a humorous bent to a useful article. While he spends a lot of time with British cars, most of the stuff in the book applies to cars in general, and sports cars in particular. How can you not appreciate a book with chapter titles such as "Why, When Britannia Rules the Waves, Will Her Cars Not Go Through A Puddle?" and "'Carburetor' Is A French Word Meaning 'Leave It Alone'"? Still available through Amazon.
moldygreg
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Jan 23 2015, 05:10 PM) *

Though it only has a passing reference to a 914, and some 911 Targa references, I wanted to make folks aware of a fun read, Memoirs of a Hack Mechanic by Rob Siegel. Those of you that are also BMW Club members may have read his columns, but I was not aware of him, and he's a great read ( kind of like Peter Egan was at R&T). I think a lot of us share his same life experiences and the same hours spent in the garage.

If you're looking for a nice read for the winter nights, give it a try!

It's a great read. I actually need to read it again! Would love to see a good read's thread here posted.

Will check out the books nominated above -- got a long plane ride coming up so it's great timing. sunglasses.gif

GeorgeRud
Bert Levy's great 'The Last Open Road' is also a fun read about the early days of the sports car scene in the 50s. Then he has a series that follows up on the story, but start with that one.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.