Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Change from late model tach to Silver Dot, 1 vw blinker to righty-lefty....WTF
malcolm2
post Jan 25 2015, 06:32 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,139
Region Association: South East States

Not sure why, but I do like the look of the SILVER DOT gauges. My 75 is going thru a backdating.... 1st bumpers, now gauges. Maybe one day I'll do the exhaust, but now that I have good 75 HE, I doubt it.

Anyway, it turns out that the DOT is not the only thing different. The Silver Dot has a RIGHT turn indicator and a LEFT vs the VW type that has a single light for RGT-LFT blinking. And the bulb holders that came with my silver dot have 2 wire terminals vs. the single wire connection on the non-silver dot VW single blinker indicator.

So I had to start searching for what to do..... I need to give timothyND credit here. He and I talked about it, and came up with this:

Attached Image

He said the hazard switch had everything I needed so I should use it. My wire diagram told me that the BLK/GRN (not grn/blk as drawn) wire was for right lights and the BLK/WHT (wht/blk is backwards too) wire was for left lights. I added a double terminal connector and ran a wire to the gauge. I used shrink tubing on the wire and the double connector.

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

I had to make a ground wire. I jumped it from bulb to bulb then used a different type double spade connector and attached the wire to the ground of the tach.

Attached Image
Attached Image

To test it, I put an alligator clip on the open connection and clipped it to a brown wire.... TA DA

Attached Image
Attached Image

THANK YOU TIM. I'll throw a (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) to Dave Darling too. In an earlier post today he POO-POOED the use of this: (picture below). He called it a vampire.... I am glad I did not use it. Looks more professional done this way. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Jan 25 2015, 10:47 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Nice work! Thanks for posting this. My Speedhut speedo has a left and right as well. Maybe I'll give it a shot.
+Quote Post
timothy_nd28
post Jan 25 2015, 11:05 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,154
Region Association: Upper MidWest

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 08:32 PM