Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Unmolested '73 for sale, 20 mins away from me!, Xmas & my B'day at the same day?
thieuster
post Jan 31 2015, 03:35 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,384
Region Association: Europe

I've just introduced myself here: <a href="http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=5051&st=1440" target="_blank"></a> (posting #1453 and I'm busy starting this thread about my search for a 914.

Over the years, I had and have my fair share of classics. Saabs, Triumphs. But I always wanted a classic Porsche. Especially a 914! Dutch highway patrol had a dozen of the 914-6 in service during the 70s (next to 356s, 911 - up to the latest air-cooled version). I remember sitting in the back of my father's car on the lookout for those two men in white leather jackets in a white and red Porsche!

After completing my Triumph TR3A, I started looking for a 914. Most cars I spotted and took a look at were complete dog's houses, basket cases. Even cars from dry US states. Until I heard from a guy who lives 20mins from my address. He used to be a mechanic at a Porsche indy garage in my home town. Sadly he became ill (muscle & nerves related) and he cannot longer hold a spanner. He switched from Porsche mechanic to Porsche 914 guru! Together with his crew, he buys, sells and dismantles 914. But not the one you see below. His warehouse is filled with all sorts of parts! Quick count: at least 50 doors!

This is an original, matching number 1973 2.0. Unmolested, unharmed. Last time the car was on the road was 1997! Back in that year, the D-Jetronic went belly-up and the first owner (engineer!) was unable to find skilled help to get the car going again. So he stored the car: heated, dry, all joints greased, engine filled with oil, with a fresh squirt of oil down the spark plug holes ever 3 months - for 17 years!

Now, at the age of nearly 80, he sold the car to the Porsche mechanic. When I arrived at his place, this 1973 time capsule had just rolled into the workshop! TBH, it was really hard to get off cloud nine!

Long story short: after a close look at the car, we decided that the seller would sort out the injection (done now btw) and that he would allow me to send in a friend who used to work for a German main dealer in Hamburg - with hours and hours of tinkering on these cars behind his name. He's going over there next week.

I'm quite confident that I can overcome technical problems. However, my sheetmetal skills and welding skills are very, very bad. I need a car with no or very little work on that part. This 1973 car can be the answer.

TBC

Menno

EDIT: the raised pink & apple green 914 is on a stand: the owner of the shop had a jig designed especiailly for the rigidity of the body when you start cutting and welding. It's a piece of art! That strangely colored car is not to be restored, it's the example how to fit your 914 on the jig.

A quick pic of the car. These wheels were quite common in Europe. Most owners replaced them because there was too much VW relation between the VW wheels and the Porsche wheels...

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i211.photobucket.com-18384-1422740109.1.jpg)[/URL]
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jan 31 2015, 04:07 PM
Post #2

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

What a find! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

Tom
///////
+Quote Post
JimFitz33
post Jan 31 2015, 04:46 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 17,839
Region Association: North East States

I'm jealous! It's a beauty! Hope it's all you want it to be!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
orthobiz
post Jan 31 2015, 06:12 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 7,438
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I'm glad it's in Germany. Now I don't have to be jealous!

Paul
+Quote Post
SLCE30318is
post Jan 31 2015, 06:34 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 18,297
Region Association: Southwest Region

Nice find!
+Quote Post
wndsnd
post Jan 31 2015, 06:55 PM
Post #6

You wanted a horse, but got a goat. Nobody wants a goat....

Member No.: 14,124
Region Association: North East States

More pictures please! It looks fantastic!

john
+Quote Post
JawjaPorsche
post Jan 31 2015, 07:39 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,351
Region Association: South East States

Awesome! Nice Score! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
bandjoey
post Jan 31 2015, 08:33 PM
Post #8

bandjoey

Member No.: 8,156

W O W ! What a find. Congratulations.
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Jan 31 2015, 10:28 PM
Post #9

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Superb! Looks so good without side markers and sail vinyl.
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Jan 31 2015, 10:35 PM
Post #10

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
thieuster
post Feb 1 2015, 03:11 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 18,384
Region Association: Europe

Thank you for your friendly comments.

Although 275 miles from Zuffhausen's Finest HQ, I just live on the Dutch side of the German - Dutch border. The car is Dutch car. Dutch and German cars were completely alike, apart from one thing: Dutch cars needed a fog light (see one of the pics).

You asked for more pics, well here they are. The seller put them on his FB page, so I lifted them off his page.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i211.photobucket.com-18384-1422781871.1.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i211.photobucket.com-18384-1422781871.2.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i211.photobucket.com-18384-1422781871.3.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i211.photobucket.com-18384-1422781871.4.jpg)

Note the black anodized strips on the back of the targa and indeed, the absence of the vinyl on the targa. I always was under the impression the black accents were only sold in the US as some sort of LE. Now I am under the impression that it was for sale in the EU as well.

There's no * P O R S C H E * on the on the engine cover. Officially these cars were sold as VWPorsche in Europe - by the Porsche dealers! There's even a VW logo on the back! Back then, they were called 'VoPo': VolksPorsche. Even the logos on the hub caps are Volkswagen's Wolfsburg crest! You can imagine that I am on the lookout for nice looking set of wheels. I like the looks of Cosmics.

As you can see, there's no console in this 2.0. That's original as well. The targa roof, not shown here, is flawless on the outside, inside the grey lining has come off: it's sagging. But nothing that can't be rectified with some proper glue. Also worth mentioning is the ride height! As you can see, the car is not lowered like most of its brothers: it still has the original ride height (nose a little up in the air!)

As said, the engine is running again. My friend / formerly employed by a Porsche dealer/restorer in Hamburg will take a look on Wednesday or so.

Is there noting wrong with the car then? Oh yes, before the car was stored, it was repainted in its original color. Not the best job I've ever seen, but for now, I can live with that. First thing I'll do when the car gets the sign of approval from my professional friend (and I will buy it), is to drop the engine and gearbox, lift off the tins and blast them (yes, I can do that myself) and have them powder coated. Next thing is replacing the fuel lines (safety). Dutch cars need to undergo a annual safety test before they are allowed on the road: brakes, steering, lights etc need to be in tip top condition before they receive an approval for one year. I'll get to that automatically before I can run the car on the roads.

It's the second time that I come across a car like this. Last time (2006) I found a one owner Saab 96 in Sweden. That man had passed away and his family sold his car on a Swedish craiglist-ish site. I took a car + trailer to Sweden and returned with a Saab 96, 38K miles on the odometer. I've brought it back to life and it's still running strong. I've never touched it with a spanner since!

Tips, comments, do's and don'ts... to get it alive again are welcome and keep 'm coming please!

Have a great sunday.

Menno

(my other prides and joy)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i211.photobucket.com-18384-1422782816.1.jpg)
+Quote Post
Hank914
post Feb 1 2015, 03:25 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 17,215
Region Association: None

Great car! Wonderful stock look.

Cool that is has the original stance with the nose up. Reminds me of the Karhman (sp) Gia.
+Quote Post
dlkawashima
post Feb 1 2015, 03:52 AM
Post #13

914 Guru

Member No.: 12,234
Region Association: Northern California

Whatever you do with the wheels, be sure to keep the originals, along with the hubcaps. They're cool!
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Feb 1 2015, 07:12 AM
Post #14

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457

Great find and pictures!! Yes, the Euro cars had completely different base options than the USA spec cars. Standard equipment here was optional in Europe. Take the manual seat belts shown in the pictures.
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Feb 1 2015, 10:09 AM
Post #15

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(thieuster @ Feb 1 2015, 01:11 AM) *

Menno - I love your taste in cars! That 914 fits perfectly with the Saab and the TR. All of them underappreciated with unique and endearing qualities. That TR3 looks like a lot of fun.
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Feb 1 2015, 01:51 PM
Post #16

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121

Interesting to see non-retracting seat belts on a 73 914! I had thought that all of the belts were retractable ones beginning in 73, with either style being available partway through 72.

I keep being surprised by what equipment came on 914s originally...

--DD
+Quote Post
Drums66
post Feb 1 2015, 02:14 PM
Post #17

914 Rudiments

Member No.: 151

......WELCOME.....Das ist echt geil (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Feb 1 2015, 02:27 PM
Post #18

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
+Quote Post
Maltese Falcon
post Feb 1 2015, 02:42 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,755

Menno, good to have you join us, keep the shiny side UP ! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
MartyAttached Image
Photo: Erik Carlsson
+Quote Post
Maltese Falcon
post Feb 1 2015, 02:45 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,755

...or relax and have a soda! Attached Image
Photo: Erik Carllson
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 04:50 AM