Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Unmolested '73 for sale, 20 mins away from me!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
thieuster
I've just introduced myself here: <a href="http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=5051&st=1440" target="_blank"></a> (posting #1453 and I'm busy starting this thread about my search for a 914.

Over the years, I had and have my fair share of classics. Saabs, Triumphs. But I always wanted a classic Porsche. Especially a 914! Dutch highway patrol had a dozen of the 914-6 in service during the 70s (next to 356s, 911 - up to the latest air-cooled version). I remember sitting in the back of my father's car on the lookout for those two men in white leather jackets in a white and red Porsche!

After completing my Triumph TR3A, I started looking for a 914. Most cars I spotted and took a look at were complete dog's houses, basket cases. Even cars from dry US states. Until I heard from a guy who lives 20mins from my address. He used to be a mechanic at a Porsche indy garage in my home town. Sadly he became ill (muscle & nerves related) and he cannot longer hold a spanner. He switched from Porsche mechanic to Porsche 914 guru! Together with his crew, he buys, sells and dismantles 914. But not the one you see below. His warehouse is filled with all sorts of parts! Quick count: at least 50 doors!

This is an original, matching number 1973 2.0. Unmolested, unharmed. Last time the car was on the road was 1997! Back in that year, the D-Jetronic went belly-up and the first owner (engineer!) was unable to find skilled help to get the car going again. So he stored the car: heated, dry, all joints greased, engine filled with oil, with a fresh squirt of oil down the spark plug holes ever 3 months - for 17 years!

Now, at the age of nearly 80, he sold the car to the Porsche mechanic. When I arrived at his place, this 1973 time capsule had just rolled into the workshop! TBH, it was really hard to get off cloud nine!

Long story short: after a close look at the car, we decided that the seller would sort out the injection (done now btw) and that he would allow me to send in a friend who used to work for a German main dealer in Hamburg - with hours and hours of tinkering on these cars behind his name. He's going over there next week.

I'm quite confident that I can overcome technical problems. However, my sheetmetal skills and welding skills are very, very bad. I need a car with no or very little work on that part. This 1973 car can be the answer.

TBC

Menno

EDIT: the raised pink & apple green 914 is on a stand: the owner of the shop had a jig designed especiailly for the rigidity of the body when you start cutting and welding. It's a piece of art! That strangely colored car is not to be restored, it's the example how to fit your 914 on the jig.

A quick pic of the car. These wheels were quite common in Europe. Most owners replaced them because there was too much VW relation between the VW wheels and the Porsche wheels...

IPB Image[/URL]
Tom_T
What a find! piratenanner.gif

welcome.png

Tom
///////
JimFitz33
I'm jealous! It's a beauty! Hope it's all you want it to be!
driving.gif
orthobiz
I'm glad it's in Germany. Now I don't have to be jealous!

Paul
SLCE30318is
Nice find!
wndsnd
More pictures please! It looks fantastic!

john
JawjaPorsche
Awesome! Nice Score! beerchug.gif
bandjoey
W O W ! What a find. Congratulations.
KELTY360
welcome.png

Superb! Looks so good without side markers and sail vinyl.
rick 918-S
beerchug.gif
thieuster
Thank you for your friendly comments.

Although 275 miles from Zuffhausen's Finest HQ, I just live on the Dutch side of the German - Dutch border. The car is Dutch car. Dutch and German cars were completely alike, apart from one thing: Dutch cars needed a fog light (see one of the pics).

You asked for more pics, well here they are. The seller put them on his FB page, so I lifted them off his page.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Note the black anodized strips on the back of the targa and indeed, the absence of the vinyl on the targa. I always was under the impression the black accents were only sold in the US as some sort of LE. Now I am under the impression that it was for sale in the EU as well.

There's no * P O R S C H E * on the on the engine cover. Officially these cars were sold as VWPorsche in Europe - by the Porsche dealers! There's even a VW logo on the back! Back then, they were called 'VoPo': VolksPorsche. Even the logos on the hub caps are Volkswagen's Wolfsburg crest! You can imagine that I am on the lookout for nice looking set of wheels. I like the looks of Cosmics.

As you can see, there's no console in this 2.0. That's original as well. The targa roof, not shown here, is flawless on the outside, inside the grey lining has come off: it's sagging. But nothing that can't be rectified with some proper glue. Also worth mentioning is the ride height! As you can see, the car is not lowered like most of its brothers: it still has the original ride height (nose a little up in the air!)

As said, the engine is running again. My friend / formerly employed by a Porsche dealer/restorer in Hamburg will take a look on Wednesday or so.

Is there noting wrong with the car then? Oh yes, before the car was stored, it was repainted in its original color. Not the best job I've ever seen, but for now, I can live with that. First thing I'll do when the car gets the sign of approval from my professional friend (and I will buy it), is to drop the engine and gearbox, lift off the tins and blast them (yes, I can do that myself) and have them powder coated. Next thing is replacing the fuel lines (safety). Dutch cars need to undergo a annual safety test before they are allowed on the road: brakes, steering, lights etc need to be in tip top condition before they receive an approval for one year. I'll get to that automatically before I can run the car on the roads.

It's the second time that I come across a car like this. Last time (2006) I found a one owner Saab 96 in Sweden. That man had passed away and his family sold his car on a Swedish craiglist-ish site. I took a car + trailer to Sweden and returned with a Saab 96, 38K miles on the odometer. I've brought it back to life and it's still running strong. I've never touched it with a spanner since!

Tips, comments, do's and don'ts... to get it alive again are welcome and keep 'm coming please!

Have a great sunday.

Menno

(my other prides and joy)

IPB Image
Hank914
welcome.png

Great car! Wonderful stock look.

Cool that is has the original stance with the nose up. Reminds me of the Karhman (sp) Gia.
dlkawashima
Whatever you do with the wheels, be sure to keep the originals, along with the hubcaps. They're cool!
914Sixer
Great find and pictures!! Yes, the Euro cars had completely different base options than the USA spec cars. Standard equipment here was optional in Europe. Take the manual seat belts shown in the pictures.
KELTY360
QUOTE(thieuster @ Feb 1 2015, 01:11 AM) *

(my other prides and joy)

IPB Image

Menno - I love your taste in cars! That 914 fits perfectly with the Saab and the TR. All of them underappreciated with unique and endearing qualities. That TR3 looks like a lot of fun.
Dave_Darling
Interesting to see non-retracting seat belts on a 73 914! I had thought that all of the belts were retractable ones beginning in 73, with either style being available partway through 72.

I keep being surprised by what equipment came on 914s originally...

--DD
Drums66
......WELCOME.....Das ist echt geil shades.gif
bye1.gif
SirAndy
smilie_pokal.gif welcome.png
Maltese Falcon
Menno, good to have you join us, keep the shiny side UP ! welcome.png
MartyClick to view attachment
Photo: Erik Carlsson
Maltese Falcon
...or relax and have a soda! Click to view attachment
Photo: Erik Carllson
euro911
I didn't know John Candy rolled his Saab rolleyes.gif
thieuster
Yeah, Carlsson looks like John Candy. He's only a little older, nowadays. FWIW: he's the brother in law of sir Sterling Moss.

During the mid 80s, he came over to the town where I used to live at that time. There's a Scania truck factory in that town. Saab and Scania were one company back then. (Scania being one of Europe's largest truck builders). I was one of the lucky few who got an invite for a test drive in a Saab 9000 with Carlsson behind the wheel on the Scania test track.

In short: a trip that I will never forget! You can not imagine how fast that guy drives. Sort of roller coaster on 4 wheels! Luckily, he didn't tip the car!

Menno
76-914
I like the "stark beauty" that your car offers. And I mean that as a complement. I especially like the view of the rear of the cabin. The combination of no grille letters, no vinyl and black sail trim is very minimalistic and eye catching at once. Great find. thumb3d.gif
SKL1
Love the TR3 and the Saab too.

Noticed the Wolfsburg crest on the steering wheel (even upside down). Reminds me back in 1969 the local Porsche+Audi dealer needed a 914 to be driven from Minneapolis to Cedar Rapids, IA to open the dealership and show what was coming. Of course, my other gearhead friend and I volunteered, and they accepted! Surprised as we like 18 at the time! The blue 914 my friend and I drove was an early euro model that had the Wolfsbburg wheel and the VW part of the rear label covered up!
Ian Stott
Tangerine Racing is a great source for a lot of what you will probably need/want, stainless steel fuel lines especially. I have also have had very good service from 914rubber, high quality stuff and great service. We all agree that Eric Shea is the man for brakes, great resources here at 914world.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada

Nice car by the way, mine is a 73 2.0 and I just can't say it often enough about how much fun it is to drive. Welcome to 914world and good luck with that car!
francar
looks very great. w00t.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.