Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ultrasonic parts cleaners, For a garage?
Randal
post Feb 6 2005, 10:14 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 750

Guess there is lots of stuff for companies, but how about an affordable unit for the garage that can clean parts?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
vortrex
post Feb 6 2005, 10:18 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 4
Region Association: None

jay leno was bragging about his. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
McMark
post Feb 6 2005, 10:56 PM
Post #3

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

There are ultrasonic jewlery cleaners that will work for small parts. What'cha wanna clean?
+Quote Post
dmenche914
post Feb 6 2005, 11:16 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 366

Yeah, they do work, got to be very careful with light cast alloys, (like carb bodies) cause to much power for too long will start eating away at the metal.

Aircraft brand paint striper for about any paint, and berryman Chem dip carb cleaner over night soak follwed by water, then paint thinner with some elbow grease usually get thru about any gunk.
+Quote Post
mightyohm
post Feb 6 2005, 11:30 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 162
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

For the guys that use the small jewelry size cleaners, what do you put in them (solvents?)

I have a lab grade ~ 1 liter sized unit that I want to use.
+Quote Post
Britain Smith
post Feb 7 2005, 12:53 AM
Post #6

Nano Member

Member No.: 364

I have an old ultrasonicator in my garage that I got from the chemistry lab in grad school. I fixed the heater switch from smoking and its good as new. You should just use acetone as the solvent and heat. If you have some stuff to clean up nice, bring it over with some acetone and give it a try.

I used it for all the parts of my transmission and they all look nice a pretty now. Best of all, they are free of dirt, grim, and grease!!

(IMG:http://www.britainsmith.com/Porsche/912Project/Transmission/images/162_0002_JPG.jpg)

-Britain
+Quote Post
Carrera916
post Feb 7 2005, 02:34 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 273

these ultrasonic tanks are GREAT!!! ...especially the heated ones...

my old man had one from a radiator shop and we used them like crazy on almost everything that could be fit in... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/screwy.gif).......we just used water and detergent as it does the job well, enviro-friendly & CHEAP!

The amazing thing was, after beadblasted some parts, and put 'em in the tank, man, you could literally see the "dust" being 'vibirated off' the parts in the water....

oh, the best...we wanted to save these hard to find oil coolers off from the 356 Carreras and I fabricated some plumbing to hook up a solution pump (off from the SK parts washer tank) to the cooler and use parts washer solution to pump in and out of the cooler with the (cooler) unit itself dunked in the ultrasonic tank....man, it was like a friggin CESSPOOL coming out of the cooler!!!! Unbelieveable!!! And it was good to know of these coolers being so clean that I would draw my hot drink thru the damn thing....

Brian:
aah, now I see how you got your gearbox guts cleaned....expecially after beadblasted the box case...(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif)

now, I gotta get one of these sonic thingy for myself!!! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/screwy.gif)
+Quote Post
Randal
post Feb 7 2005, 09:19 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 750

I want something around to clean dirty engine parts, like engine tin, or suspension stuff.

So the best way to find one is to look in the want ads for used industrial equipment?

Guess no one makes an affordable unit for home use.

And Britain, I'l take you up on the offer.

+Quote Post
mightyohm
post Feb 7 2005, 11:13 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 162
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

To clean stuff all you really need is a regular old parts washer.

Harbor Freight has a large one that looks decent and you can get a small one at Kragen for ~$30.
+Quote Post
bondo
post Feb 7 2005, 11:22 AM
Post #10

Practicing my perpendicular parking

Member No.: 587
Region Association: Central California

Hmm, I wonder if I could add an ultrasonic peizo dealie to the underside of my parts washer... that would be awesome (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 03:08 AM