Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ultrasonic parts cleaners
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Randal
Guess there is lots of stuff for companies, but how about an affordable unit for the garage that can clean parts?
vortrex
jay leno was bragging about his. biggrin.gif
McMark
There are ultrasonic jewlery cleaners that will work for small parts. What'cha wanna clean?
dmenche914
Yeah, they do work, got to be very careful with light cast alloys, (like carb bodies) cause to much power for too long will start eating away at the metal.

Aircraft brand paint striper for about any paint, and berryman Chem dip carb cleaner over night soak follwed by water, then paint thinner with some elbow grease usually get thru about any gunk.
mightyohm
For the guys that use the small jewelry size cleaners, what do you put in them (solvents?)

I have a lab grade ~ 1 liter sized unit that I want to use.
Britain Smith
I have an old ultrasonicator in my garage that I got from the chemistry lab in grad school. I fixed the heater switch from smoking and its good as new. You should just use acetone as the solvent and heat. If you have some stuff to clean up nice, bring it over with some acetone and give it a try.

I used it for all the parts of my transmission and they all look nice a pretty now. Best of all, they are free of dirt, grim, and grease!!

user posted image

-Britain
Carrera916
these ultrasonic tanks are GREAT!!! ...especially the heated ones...

my old man had one from a radiator shop and we used them like crazy on almost everything that could be fit in... screwy.gif.......we just used water and detergent as it does the job well, enviro-friendly & CHEAP!

The amazing thing was, after beadblasted some parts, and put 'em in the tank, man, you could literally see the "dust" being 'vibirated off' the parts in the water....

oh, the best...we wanted to save these hard to find oil coolers off from the 356 Carreras and I fabricated some plumbing to hook up a solution pump (off from the SK parts washer tank) to the cooler and use parts washer solution to pump in and out of the cooler with the (cooler) unit itself dunked in the ultrasonic tank....man, it was like a friggin CESSPOOL coming out of the cooler!!!! Unbelieveable!!! And it was good to know of these coolers being so clean that I would draw my hot drink thru the damn thing....

Brian:
aah, now I see how you got your gearbox guts cleaned....expecially after beadblasted the box case...wink.gif

now, I gotta get one of these sonic thingy for myself!!! screwy.gif
Randal
I want something around to clean dirty engine parts, like engine tin, or suspension stuff.

So the best way to find one is to look in the want ads for used industrial equipment?

Guess no one makes an affordable unit for home use.

And Britain, I'l take you up on the offer.

mightyohm
To clean stuff all you really need is a regular old parts washer.

Harbor Freight has a large one that looks decent and you can get a small one at Kragen for ~$30.
bondo
Hmm, I wonder if I could add an ultrasonic peizo dealie to the underside of my parts washer... that would be awesome smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.