Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Tube fitting, making a transmission mount ends in frustration, looking for a better way.
914forme
post Feb 9 2015, 10:08 AM
Post #1

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,388
Region Association: None

I have been working on mocking up pieces for my Conversion. I tack weld stuff up, and then bribe my buddy who is a pro welder to come over and do the good stuff. He's a sucker for Brisket, I can smoke a mean Brisket (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

But this is where I ran into issues. I can cope tube to tube joints all day long. Find the angle run it through my machine make it a little long and grind / file it for a perfect fit. Easy enough.

Well the transmission mount, I am going with 2 plates one up top, one below. They mount into a poly mount at the top much like the stock transmission mounts. multiple angles are involved. After several weekends of playing with the idea, I got me one of these. Attached Image

It did make to process closer but still not accurate enough for me to say I am done.

So what are the tricks?

I could build it out of flat pieces and make a box. 16a sheet metal would work. I just like tube.

I could take a piece of rod or wire and cut it to fit, then tack in place and figure out my angles and then transfer that to tube. Just looking for a good trick to get this done, and learn something new.

Here is what I came up with so far, my welding buddy will reject it as the gaps are to big, and I agree. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 08:24 PM