Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Classified Rules!
7 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What price for a LE 914, What price for a LE 914
Creamsicle New Zealand
post Feb 10 2015, 08:16 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,403
Region Association: Australia and New Zealand

Hi all. I'm new to this forum and to 914s. I'm seriously interested in purchasing a 914 LE. I live in New Zealand and would like to get one shipped here. Due to costs and time involved in shipping to NZ the car I purchase will be a keeper for many years.
I don't have the time to recondition one so would like to purchase one that is in very good condition. Can any one please tell me how much I could expect to pay for a very good condition LE as I have no idea. I'm happy to wait for several months or more for a LE to come up for sale.
Thanks in advance.
Steve
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
tumamilhem
post Mar 1 2015, 06:50 PM
Post #2

LUFTBRIGADE

Member No.: 15,092
Region Association: South East States

I have an impeccable LE Creamsicle. One of the first made, made on Valentine's Day 1974. Fully restored and rebuilt, the previous owner and I have put loads of money into this car. The engine is rebuilt, the tranny is rebuilt, it maintains the original fuel injection and I've replaced all the essential fuel injection parts with new parts. There's not much else to do to this car it's all been done. Its so nice that it was accepted in the Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance Cars and Coffee in two weeks (Amelia is one of the two most prestigious classic car shows in the world). Creamsicles are twice as scarce as Bumblebees (there's twice as many Bumblebees remaining in existence than Creamsicles). so not only is this the rarest production car in existence, it's also been fully restored. So if I even consider letting mine go, I would have to consider its rarity and the amount of time and money that has been put into it to make it the magnificent example it is today. And I'd have to be able to get another car just as nice to replace it.
+Quote Post
Creamsicle New Zealand
post Mar 1 2015, 10:15 PM
Post #3

Tumamilhem can you contact me on steve@chch.planet.org.nz please.
+Quote Post
somd914
post Mar 2 2015, 05:45 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 12,741
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Not many LEs around for sale, you could be waiting a long time...

Question comes to mind, why an LE versus another 914? Are you looking for collectability or driving pleasure? Keep in mind an LE is the same as a '74 2.0 except for paint, air dam, and sway bars, beyond that no changes. From a driver's standpoint, many others 914s on the market offer better suspension and more power.

In the states a nice driver quality car can be had for the low teens (US dollars). I'd have to let the LE community chime as to what the premium would be on a comparable LE, but obviously it will be more.

Have you explored the cost of shipping from the States? Based on Jim Clark limited edition Lotus Elise that came up for sale in NZ recently (only 25 produced), the owner had a quote of $7,000 US to ship to our West Coast.

Should you wait and go the LE route, do not buy w/o a Porsche Certificate of Authenticity and a thorough inspection by someone who knows 914s.
+Quote Post
budk
post Mar 2 2015, 08:14 AM
Post #5

Yes! It's a Bumblebee!

Member No.: 11,970

QUOTE(tumamilhem @ Mar 1 2015, 07:50 PM) *

I have an impeccable LE Creamsicle. One of the first made, made on Valentine's Day 1974. Fully restored and rebuilt, the previous owner and I have put loads of money into this car. The engine is rebuilt, the tranny is rebuilt, it maintains the original fuel injection and I've replaced all the essential fuel injection parts with new parts. There's not much else to do to this car it's all been done. Its so nice that it was accepted in the Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance in two weeks, which is one of the two most prestigious classic car shows in the world. Creamsicles are twice as scarce as Bumblebees (there's twice as many Bumblebees remaining in existence than Creamsicles). so not only is this the rarest production car in existence, it's also been fully restored. So if I even consider letting mine go, I would have to consider its rarity and the amount of time and money that has been put into it to make it the magnificent example it is today. And I'd have to bbe able to get another car just as nice to replace it.

I'm sure that your car is a wonderful example however let's not get too carried away.

According to Jeff Bowlsby's site, there are:

of the remaining Can Am cars, there are

142 bumblebees

95 creamsickles

237 Total LE's

So, to say that there are twice as many bumblebee's is a stretch, closer to 50% more which maybe is what you meant. Plus, Jeff's site is just informational and not "official" so there may be other LE's out there that are not on his site. When I found my LE in 2010 it was not listed in his database and every once in a while another one pops up.

Congrats on your Creamsickle and acceptance to Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance. It should be a great event. Can't wait to see the pics..
+Quote Post
Creamsicle New Zealand
post Mar 2 2015, 07:23 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(somd914 @ Mar 2 2015, 03:45 AM) *

Not many LEs around for sale, you could be waiting a long time...

Question comes to mind, why an LE versus another 914? Are you looking for collectability or driving pleasure? Keep in mind an LE is the same as a '74 2.0 except for paint, air dam, and sway bars, beyond that no changes. From a driver's standpoint, many others 914s on the market offer better suspension and more power.

In the states a nice driver quality car can be had for the low teens (US dollars). I'd have to let the LE community chime as to what the premium would be on a comparable LE, but obviously it will be more.

Have you explored the cost of shipping from the States? Based on Jim Clark limited edition Lotus Elise that came up for sale in NZ recently (only 25 produced), the owner had a quote of $7,000 US to ship to our West Coast.

Should you wait and go the LE route, do not buy w/o a Porsche Certificate of Authenticity and a thorough inspection by someone who knows 914s.

Reason for an LE is I'm wanting to keep a 914 for a long time, I will only do this once hopefully so might as well make it a collectors edition. A 914/6 is out of my price range. I have a two year old son, it would be pretty cool to give this to him when he's old enough to appreciate it (I'm thinking 40 ish (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) ). LE are rear over hear, I'm a member of Porsche Club Of New Zealand and I have yet to see an LE here.
The price to ship from USA to NZ is a lot cheaper than NZ to USA for some reason. I've been quoted US$3000 from USA to NZ.
I've got a 911 997 turbo which has been slightly modified so when I want performance etc. I will use this car. When I want style and cruising the LE would be perfect. I have my eye one an LE currently under resto which is looking very good, it should be finished April. All going well this could be the one.
I have looked on Jeff Bowlsby Can Am web site, Jeff certainly knows his stuff. I have used this web site as reference guide when looking at LE 914s.
I will keep you posted.

+Quote Post
Creamsicle New Zealand
post Mar 2 2015, 07:36 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(tumamilhem @ Mar 1 2015, 04:50 PM) *

I have an impeccable LE Creamsicle. One of the first made, made on Valentine's Day 1974. Fully restored and rebuilt, the previous owner and I have put loads of money into this car. The engine is rebuilt, the tranny is rebuilt, it maintains the original fuel injection and I've replaced all the essential fuel injection parts with new parts. There's not much else to do to this car it's all been done. Its so nice that it was accepted in the Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance in two weeks, which is one of the two most prestigious classic car shows in the world. Creamsicles are twice as scarce as Bumblebees (there's twice as many Bumblebees remaining in existence than Creamsicles). so not only is this the rarest production car in existence, it's also been fully restored. So if I even consider letting mine go, I would have to consider its rarity and the amount of time and money that has been put into it to make it the magnificent example it is today. And I'd have to bbe able to get another car just as nice to replace it.

WOW so what do you think it worth?
+Quote Post
HaraPuzo
post Mar 3 2015, 07:20 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 18,187
Region Association: Canada

I know you're searching for a creamsicle.
I found a bumblebee online. next best thing?
anyways, here's the link to check out.

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/carsfo...14/1721347.html

good luck in your search!
+Quote Post
Creamsicle New Zealand
post Mar 3 2015, 01:12 PM
Post #9

QUOTE(HaraPuzo @ Mar 3 2015, 05:20 AM) *

I know you're searching for a creamsicle.
I found a bumblebee online. next best thing?
anyways, here's the link to check out.

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/carsfo...14/1721347.html

good luck in your search!

Thanks HaraPuzo
+Quote Post
SteveLE
post Mar 3 2015, 07:14 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 18,471
Region Association: Northern California

Hello, new to this site but not to LE's.

As cars-as-art; LE's are picturesque.
Rarity: 914-6's for $90k? Logicly LE's should not be far behind.
Reference; Car and Driver Magazine, go 2/3rds down the article.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/oil-stop-we-a...rs-in-monterey/

(You may have to paste)Attached Image
+Quote Post
budk
post Mar 3 2015, 08:47 PM
Post #11

Yes! It's a Bumblebee!

Member No.: 11,970

QUOTE(SteveLE @ Mar 3 2015, 08:14 PM) *

Hello, new to this site but not to LE's.

As cars-as-art; LE's are picturesque.
Rarity: 914-6's for $90k? Logicly LE's should not be far behind.
Reference; Car and Driver Magazine, go 2/3rds down the article.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/oil-stop-we-a...rs-in-monterey/

(You may have to paste)Attached Image

I saw nothing in that article to justify your conclusion that an LE's value shouldn't be far behind a -6. As much as I like the LE's (including mine) I know it will always be worth a fraction of an original 6 in the same condition.
+Quote Post
somd914
post Mar 4 2015, 07:29 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 12,741

I realize collectors markets are frequently driven by emotion not reality, then again so is Wall Street.

However, I do not understand LEs? I'm trying to think what other limited edition Porsches were merely a cosmetic package that drive a high price. The 1980 911 Weissach Edition was similar, two color schemes, same basic car as any other 911 SC, approximately 400 were produced and sold quickly. From those that I've seen come to market in the last few years, their prices are commensurate with other SCs. Based on LE pricing of late, I'd say the Weissach 911s should command long nose 911 prices...

No matter, the market is what it is, and for LE owners, surfs up, ride the wave.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Mar 4 2015, 08:20 AM
Post #13

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

A 914-4 with an unique trim package isn't close behind a 914-6 that was fitted with a Porsche engine, suspension and brakes and finished in the Porsche factory. It's not just about the number of cars made.

User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
914werke
post Mar 4 2015, 09:28 AM
Post #14

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Envy
+Quote Post
pete000
post Mar 4 2015, 04:26 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 12,094

What ever they are worth I love that picture !
+Quote Post
tumamilhem
post Mar 4 2015, 07:06 PM
Post #16

LUFTBRIGADE

QUOTE(budk @ Mar 2 2015, 09:14 AM) *

QUOTE(tumamilhem @ Mar 1 2015, 07:50 PM) *

I'm sure that your car is a wonderful example however let's not get too carried away.

According to Jeff Bowlsby's site, there are:

of the remaining Can Am cars, there are

142 bumblebees

95 creamsickles

237 Total LE's

So, to say that there are twice as many bumblebee's is a stretch, closer to 50% more which maybe is what you meant. Plus, Jeff's site is just informational and not "official" so there may be other LE's out there that are not on his site. When I found my LE in 2010 it was not listed in his database and every once in a while another one pops up.

Congrats on your Creamsickle and acceptance to Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance. It should be a great event. Can't wait to see the pics..

Those numbers you quote are correct. But notice I said drivers. Half of the cars in those numbers are shells of cars, deteriorated, etc. The VINs exist, but not all of them are complete cars.

Also LEs were better drivers because of their suspension. They came with frint and rear sway bars and upgraded shocks.
+Quote Post
tumamilhem
post Mar 4 2015, 07:09 PM
Post #17

LUFTBRIGADE

QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 4 2015, 09:20 AM) *

A 914-4 with an unique trim package isn't close behind a 914-6 that was fitted with a Porsche engine, suspension and brakes and finished in the Porsche factory. It's not just about the number of cars made.

Actually, the 2.0/4 was modified by Porsche. They had their hands in it last, increasing the bore and other areas of performance.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Mar 4 2015, 07:27 PM
Post #18

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

QUOTE(tumamilhem @ Mar 4 2015, 08:09 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 4 2015, 09:20 AM) *

Actually, the 2.0/4 was modified by Porsche. They had their hands in it last, increasing the bore and other areas of performance.

I can appreciate that. The whole car was designed by porsche. But there is a huge difference between a 4 (modified by Porsche) and the 6 cylinder Porsche engines. It's not just a numbers thing with hp and torque. It's a completely different engine and driving experience.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Mar 4 2015, 07:57 PM
Post #19

Walnut Elite Stratocaster player

Member No.: 7,318

I could never part with my Creamsicle, so to me it's priceless. It was my Fathers car, only has 48k original miles on it & is the definition of a "garage queen". Been in my family since I was 11 & I'm now 52. However, if you found one in the condition mine is in & got it for less than $40k USD I'd say you got a bargain. It all depends on what you want the car for- collectability or driveability. I own 2 914s because I enjoy the car, but my LE is so pristine I barely drive it for fear of something happening to it. My other 914 is a genuine six that has had more owners than I know of, does not have it's original engine & has been highly modified. I enjoy the hell out of that car as much as I can (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Creamsicle New Zealand
post Mar 4 2015, 10:03 PM
Post #20

QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Mar 4 2015, 05:57 PM) *

I could never part with my Creamsicle, so to me it's priceless. It was my Fathers car, only has 48k original miles on it & is the definition of a "garage queen". Been in my family since I was 11 & I'm now 52. However, if you found one in the condition mine is in & got it for less than $40k USD I'd say you got a bargain. It all depends on what you want the car for- collectability or driveability. I own 2 914s because I enjoy the car, but my LE is so pristine I barely drive it for fear of something happening to it. My other 914 is a genuine six that has had more owners than I know of, does not have it's original engine & has been highly modified. I enjoy the hell out of that car as much as I can (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Two beautiful cars. Thanks for sharing. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post

7 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 07:57 AM