Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What price for a LE 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Creamsicle New Zealand
Hi all. I'm new to this forum and to 914s. I'm seriously interested in purchasing a 914 LE. I live in New Zealand and would like to get one shipped here. Due to costs and time involved in shipping to NZ the car I purchase will be a keeper for many years.
I don't have the time to recondition one so would like to purchase one that is in very good condition. Can any one please tell me how much I could expect to pay for a very good condition LE as I have no idea. I'm happy to wait for several months or more for a LE to come up for sale.
Thanks in advance.
Steve
tumamilhem
I have an impeccable LE Creamsicle. One of the first made, made on Valentine's Day 1974. Fully restored and rebuilt, the previous owner and I have put loads of money into this car. The engine is rebuilt, the tranny is rebuilt, it maintains the original fuel injection and I've replaced all the essential fuel injection parts with new parts. There's not much else to do to this car it's all been done. Its so nice that it was accepted in the Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance Cars and Coffee in two weeks (Amelia is one of the two most prestigious classic car shows in the world). Creamsicles are twice as scarce as Bumblebees (there's twice as many Bumblebees remaining in existence than Creamsicles). so not only is this the rarest production car in existence, it's also been fully restored. So if I even consider letting mine go, I would have to consider its rarity and the amount of time and money that has been put into it to make it the magnificent example it is today. And I'd have to be able to get another car just as nice to replace it.
Creamsicle New Zealand
Tumamilhem can you contact me on steve@chch.planet.org.nz please.
somd914
Not many LEs around for sale, you could be waiting a long time...

Question comes to mind, why an LE versus another 914? Are you looking for collectability or driving pleasure? Keep in mind an LE is the same as a '74 2.0 except for paint, air dam, and sway bars, beyond that no changes. From a driver's standpoint, many others 914s on the market offer better suspension and more power.

In the states a nice driver quality car can be had for the low teens (US dollars). I'd have to let the LE community chime as to what the premium would be on a comparable LE, but obviously it will be more.

Have you explored the cost of shipping from the States? Based on Jim Clark limited edition Lotus Elise that came up for sale in NZ recently (only 25 produced), the owner had a quote of $7,000 US to ship to our West Coast.

Should you wait and go the LE route, do not buy w/o a Porsche Certificate of Authenticity and a thorough inspection by someone who knows 914s.
budk
QUOTE(tumamilhem @ Mar 1 2015, 07:50 PM) *

I have an impeccable LE Creamsicle. One of the first made, made on Valentine's Day 1974. Fully restored and rebuilt, the previous owner and I have put loads of money into this car. The engine is rebuilt, the tranny is rebuilt, it maintains the original fuel injection and I've replaced all the essential fuel injection parts with new parts. There's not much else to do to this car it's all been done. Its so nice that it was accepted in the Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance in two weeks, which is one of the two most prestigious classic car shows in the world. Creamsicles are twice as scarce as Bumblebees (there's twice as many Bumblebees remaining in existence than Creamsicles). so not only is this the rarest production car in existence, it's also been fully restored. So if I even consider letting mine go, I would have to consider its rarity and the amount of time and money that has been put into it to make it the magnificent example it is today. And I'd have to bbe able to get another car just as nice to replace it.

I'm sure that your car is a wonderful example however let's not get too carried away.

According to Jeff Bowlsby's site, there are:

of the remaining Can Am cars, there are

142 bumblebees

95 creamsickles

237 Total LE's

So, to say that there are twice as many bumblebee's is a stretch, closer to 50% more which maybe is what you meant. Plus, Jeff's site is just informational and not "official" so there may be other LE's out there that are not on his site. When I found my LE in 2010 it was not listed in his database and every once in a while another one pops up.

Congrats on your Creamsickle and acceptance to Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance. It should be a great event. Can't wait to see the pics..
Creamsicle New Zealand
QUOTE(somd914 @ Mar 2 2015, 03:45 AM) *

Not many LEs around for sale, you could be waiting a long time...

Question comes to mind, why an LE versus another 914? Are you looking for collectability or driving pleasure? Keep in mind an LE is the same as a '74 2.0 except for paint, air dam, and sway bars, beyond that no changes. From a driver's standpoint, many others 914s on the market offer better suspension and more power.

In the states a nice driver quality car can be had for the low teens (US dollars). I'd have to let the LE community chime as to what the premium would be on a comparable LE, but obviously it will be more.

Have you explored the cost of shipping from the States? Based on Jim Clark limited edition Lotus Elise that came up for sale in NZ recently (only 25 produced), the owner had a quote of $7,000 US to ship to our West Coast.

Should you wait and go the LE route, do not buy w/o a Porsche Certificate of Authenticity and a thorough inspection by someone who knows 914s.

Reason for an LE is I'm wanting to keep a 914 for a long time, I will only do this once hopefully so might as well make it a collectors edition. A 914/6 is out of my price range. I have a two year old son, it would be pretty cool to give this to him when he's old enough to appreciate it (I'm thinking 40 ish smile.gif ). LE are rear over hear, I'm a member of Porsche Club Of New Zealand and I have yet to see an LE here.
The price to ship from USA to NZ is a lot cheaper than NZ to USA for some reason. I've been quoted US$3000 from USA to NZ.
I've got a 911 997 turbo which has been slightly modified so when I want performance etc. I will use this car. When I want style and cruising the LE would be perfect. I have my eye one an LE currently under resto which is looking very good, it should be finished April. All going well this could be the one.
I have looked on Jeff Bowlsby Can Am web site, Jeff certainly knows his stuff. I have used this web site as reference guide when looking at LE 914s.
I will keep you posted.

Creamsicle New Zealand
QUOTE(tumamilhem @ Mar 1 2015, 04:50 PM) *

I have an impeccable LE Creamsicle. One of the first made, made on Valentine's Day 1974. Fully restored and rebuilt, the previous owner and I have put loads of money into this car. The engine is rebuilt, the tranny is rebuilt, it maintains the original fuel injection and I've replaced all the essential fuel injection parts with new parts. There's not much else to do to this car it's all been done. Its so nice that it was accepted in the Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance in two weeks, which is one of the two most prestigious classic car shows in the world. Creamsicles are twice as scarce as Bumblebees (there's twice as many Bumblebees remaining in existence than Creamsicles). so not only is this the rarest production car in existence, it's also been fully restored. So if I even consider letting mine go, I would have to consider its rarity and the amount of time and money that has been put into it to make it the magnificent example it is today. And I'd have to bbe able to get another car just as nice to replace it.

WOW so what do you think it worth?
HaraPuzo
I know you're searching for a creamsicle.
I found a bumblebee online. next best thing?
anyways, here's the link to check out.

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/carsfo...14/1721347.html

good luck in your search!
Creamsicle New Zealand
QUOTE(HaraPuzo @ Mar 3 2015, 05:20 AM) *

I know you're searching for a creamsicle.
I found a bumblebee online. next best thing?
anyways, here's the link to check out.

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/carsfo...14/1721347.html

good luck in your search!

Thanks HaraPuzo
SteveLE
Hello, new to this site but not to LE's.

As cars-as-art; LE's are picturesque.
Rarity: 914-6's for $90k? Logicly LE's should not be far behind.
Reference; Car and Driver Magazine, go 2/3rds down the article.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/oil-stop-we-a...rs-in-monterey/

(You may have to paste)Click to view attachment
budk
QUOTE(SteveLE @ Mar 3 2015, 08:14 PM) *

Hello, new to this site but not to LE's.

As cars-as-art; LE's are picturesque.
Rarity: 914-6's for $90k? Logicly LE's should not be far behind.
Reference; Car and Driver Magazine, go 2/3rds down the article.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/oil-stop-we-a...rs-in-monterey/

(You may have to paste)Click to view attachment

I saw nothing in that article to justify your conclusion that an LE's value shouldn't be far behind a -6. As much as I like the LE's (including mine) I know it will always be worth a fraction of an original 6 in the same condition.
somd914
I realize collectors markets are frequently driven by emotion not reality, then again so is Wall Street.

However, I do not understand LEs? I'm trying to think what other limited edition Porsches were merely a cosmetic package that drive a high price. The 1980 911 Weissach Edition was similar, two color schemes, same basic car as any other 911 SC, approximately 400 were produced and sold quickly. From those that I've seen come to market in the last few years, their prices are commensurate with other SCs. Based on LE pricing of late, I'd say the Weissach 911s should command long nose 911 prices...

No matter, the market is what it is, and for LE owners, surfs up, ride the wave.
mepstein
A 914-4 with an unique trim package isn't close behind a 914-6 that was fitted with a Porsche engine, suspension and brakes and finished in the Porsche factory. It's not just about the number of cars made.

914werke
Envy
pete000
What ever they are worth I love that picture !
tumamilhem
QUOTE(budk @ Mar 2 2015, 09:14 AM) *

I'm sure that your car is a wonderful example however let's not get too carried away.

142 bumblebees

95 creamsickles

237 Total LE's

So, to say that there are twice as many bumblebee's is a stretch, closer to 50% more which maybe is what you meant. Plus, Jeff's site is just informational and not "official" so there may be other LE's out there that are not on his site. When I found my LE in 2010 it was not listed in his database and every once in a while another one pops up.

Congrats on your Creamsickle and acceptance to Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance. It should be a great event. Can't wait to see the pics..

Those numbers you quote are correct. But notice I said drivers. Half of the cars in those numbers are shells of cars, deteriorated, etc. The VINs exist, but not all of them are complete cars.

Also LEs were better drivers because of their suspension. They came with frint and rear sway bars and upgraded shocks.
tumamilhem
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 4 2015, 09:20 AM) *

A 914-4 with an unique trim package isn't close behind a 914-6 that was fitted with a Porsche engine, suspension and brakes and finished in the Porsche factory. It's not just about the number of cars made.

Actually, the 2.0/4 was modified by Porsche. They had their hands in it last, increasing the bore and other areas of performance.
mepstein
QUOTE(tumamilhem @ Mar 4 2015, 08:09 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 4 2015, 09:20 AM) *

Actually, the 2.0/4 was modified by Porsche. They had their hands in it last, increasing the bore and other areas of performance.

I can appreciate that. The whole car was designed by porsche. But there is a huge difference between a 4 (modified by Porsche) and the 6 cylinder Porsche engines. It's not just a numbers thing with hp and torque. It's a completely different engine and driving experience.
Johny Blackstain
I could never part with my Creamsicle, so to me it's priceless. It was my Fathers car, only has 48k original miles on it & is the definition of a "garage queen". Been in my family since I was 11 & I'm now 52. However, if you found one in the condition mine is in & got it for less than $40k USD I'd say you got a bargain. It all depends on what you want the car for- collectability or driveability. I own 2 914s because I enjoy the car, but my LE is so pristine I barely drive it for fear of something happening to it. My other 914 is a genuine six that has had more owners than I know of, does not have it's original engine & has been highly modified. I enjoy the hell out of that car as much as I can biggrin.gif
Creamsicle New Zealand
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Mar 4 2015, 05:57 PM) *

I could never part with my Creamsicle, so to me it's priceless. It was my Fathers car, only has 48k original miles on it & is the definition of a "garage queen". Been in my family since I was 11 & I'm now 52. However, if you found one in the condition mine is in & got it for less than $40k USD I'd say you got a bargain. It all depends on what you want the car for- collectability or driveability. I own 2 914s because I enjoy the car, but my LE is so pristine I barely drive it for fear of something happening to it. My other 914 is a genuine six that has had more owners than I know of, does not have it's original engine & has been highly modified. I enjoy the hell out of that car as much as I can biggrin.gif

Two beautiful cars. Thanks for sharing. aktion035.gif
somd914
[/quote]

Also LEs were better drivers because of their suspension. They came with frint and rear sway bars and upgraded shocks.
[/quote]

Marginal difference, but I'll take my 911 front-end, 5 bolt fuchs with wider tires, and sway bars front and rear. Sure, not original, but handles and stops better than 914-4 suspension/brakes.

As for the engine, I agree Porsche made a some mods, but HP/torque gains were minimal and not unique to an LE.

As I mentioned, I realize the prices are pushing into the 911 SC/Carrera range, and I also understand collector versus driver cars, but I can't figure out why a paint scheme (and sway bars that any owner can easily and inexpensively add) brings the value up so much. Am I overlooking something?
Creamsicle New Zealand
[quote name='somd914' date='Mar 4 2015, 09:59 PM' post='2155005']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Marginal difference, but I'll take my 911 front-end, 5 bolt fuchs with wider tires, and sway bars front and rear. Sure, not original, but handles and stops better than 914-4 suspension/brakes.

As for the engine, I agree Porsche made a some mods, but HP/torque gains were minimal and not unique to an LE.

As I mentioned, I realize the prices are pushing into the 911 SC/Carrera range, and I also understand collector versus driver cars, but I can't figure out why a paint scheme (and sway bars that any owner can easily and inexpensively add) brings the value up so much. Am I overlooking something?
[/quote]
Rarity is probably the single biggest factor (in my humble option), as time goes by the rarer cars become, this is the driving factor of car valuations.
mepstein
smile.gif
somd914
"Rarity is probably the single biggest factor (in my humble option), as time goes by the rarer cars become, this is the driving factor of car valuations."

I'd contend is more emotional than rarity.

I mentioned the 911 Wessiech limited edition, how about the Martini or Sebring 924s, or the 944 Celebration Edition? Porsche's history is rich in limited edition trim models like these, yet their pricing is commensurate with the non limited edition cars. Why is the 914 LE so different? Guess I haven't drunk the coolaid yet.

I would put value on a limited edition that brought unique performance enhancements that can't easily or inexpensively be cloned, but anyone can easily clone a 914 LE, and w/o knowledge of the VIN range and COA, nobody would be able to tell.

There's an old saying, don't buy a car as an investment...
SteveLE
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Mar 4 2015, 05:57 PM) *

Forget about our pricing thread, I'm still back on the picture of Mr. Blacksteins, AWSOME set of cars dude!
somd914
agree.gif Sorry, should have commented also - awesome cars, incredible ownership story that makes his creamsickle priceless!
87m491
[/quote]

I can't figure out why a paint scheme (and sway bars that any owner can easily and inexpensively add) brings the value up so much. Am I overlooking something?
[/quote]

Not overlooking anything as far as I can tell, but for some folks seems to be worth paying a pretty good premium for.
poorsche914
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Mar 4 2015, 08:57 PM) *
... but my LE is so pristine I barely drive it for fear of something happening to it. ...

Thanks for driving her to Okteenerfest last year cheer.gif
An awesome LE with an equally awesome history.

My LE (with a VIN only 15 away from Al's and a near twin with Cinnamon interior) is on the other end of the spectrum... neglected for 20 years by the previous owner. During my five years of ownership, I have restored/replaced/upgraded things as my budget can afford. Still needs a lot of rustoration and bodywork.
What's it worth? No idea confused24.gif Any other '74 in similar condition might bring $5-6k
As an LE... I suppose it depends how badly someone wanted it. I've seen similar go for $10k+

An LE that had been repainted silver just sold in Texas for $4k... that was a steal!

At some point, I will have a full restoration done on my Creamsicle. Of course, I will then have to do like Al and get a second 914 to drive biggrin.gif

driving.gif
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Mar 6 2015, 10:15 PM) *

QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Mar 4 2015, 08:57 PM) *
... but my LE is so pristine I barely drive it for fear of something happening to it. ...

Thanks for driving her to Okteenerfest last year cheer.gif
An awesome LE with an equally awesome history.

My LE (with a VIN only 15 away from Al's and a near twin with Cinnamon interior) is on the other end of the spectrum... neglected for 20 years by the previous owner. During my five years of ownership, I have restored/replaced/upgraded things as my budget can afford. Still needs a lot of rustoration and bodywork.
What's it worth? No idea confused24.gif Any other '74 in similar condition might bring $5-6k
As an LE... I suppose it depends how badly someone wanted it. I've seen similar go for $10k+

An LE that had been repainted silver just sold in Texas for $4k... that was a steal!

At some point, I will have a full restoration done on my Creamsicle. Of course, I will then have to do like Al and get a second 914 to drive biggrin.gif

driving.gif

No problem Steve, I enjoyed Okteenerfest very much, however I think you might have a problem w/ your granddaughter if you get another teener- she appears to love your creamsicle very much biggrin.gif
sda4property@gmail.com
Steve,

20 Emails back & forth.
Contact me over the phone to discuss.

Scott D Anderson
562-987-1850
tumamilhem
Posting error
tumamilhem
Posting error
tumamilhem
QUOTE(budk @ Mar 2 2015, 10:14 AM) *

142 bumblebees

95 creamsickles

237 Total LE's

True, there are more vins recorded. But those numbers are just recorded vin numbers of known cars - regardless of condition or survival. Many of those cars are destroyed, abandoned, shells, etc. (See some of the pics of the registered vins). I'm referring to remaining actual complete and driveable surviving/restored cars.

TJB/914
[quote name='87m491' date='Mar 5 2015, 06:59 PM' post='2155231']
[/quote]

I can't figure out why a paint scheme (and sway bars that any owner can easily and inexpensively add) brings the value up so much. Am I overlooking something?
[/quote]

Not overlooking anything as far as I can tell, but for some folks seems to be worth paying a pretty good premium for.
[/quote]

agree.gif
I don't get it too unsure.gif Nice to look at, but it's just a paint job with a little add on's. confused24.gif
Yes, it's worth a little more $$. It gets down to, no rust, matching engine #, paint condition, mileage, low production #'s, history, factory options, etc. etc. the price should always be based on all these things & a few more I didn't list. stirthepot.gif
My humble opinion. popcorn[1].gif
Tom
mepstein
[quote name='TJB/914' date='Mar 31 2015, 07:59 AM' post='2167744']
[quote name='87m491' date='Mar 5 2015, 06:59 PM' post='2155231']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

agree.gif
I don't get it too unsure.gif Nice to look at, but it's just a paint job with a little add on's. confused24.gif
Yes, it's worth a little more $$. It gets down to, no rust, matching engine #, paint condition, mileage, low production #'s, history, factory options, etc. etc. the price should always be based on all these things & a few more I didn't list. stirthepot.gif
My humble opinion. popcorn[1].gif
Tom
[/quote]

The more it gets talked about the more it becomes a "thing".
When Jeff made the registry, It helped it become more of a defined "thing"

Nothing wrong with liking the "thing", everyone has to decide whats important and valuable to them. It gets silly if you let others decide that for you.
billh1963
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 31 2015, 08:04 AM) *

Nothing wrong with liking the "thing", everyone has to decide whats important and valuable to them. It gets silly if you let others decide that for you.

I agree. I like the creamsicle cars; however, I wouldn't pay a significant premium for one. That's just me.

The '70's had lots of "paint and stickers" packages on cars to try to sell slow moving inventory.
bulitt
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Mar 31 2015, 08:21 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 31 2015, 08:04 AM) *

I agree. I like the creamsicle cars; however, I wouldn't pay a significant premium for one. That's just me.

The '70's had lots of "paint and stickers" packages on cars to try to sell slow moving inventory.

agree.gif That is so true Bill. Recall many.

X version-

IPB Image

in case you were color blind-

IPB Image

screamin chicken (I owned one)

IPB Image

ugh

IPB Image

Didn't make this any faster

IPB Image

What is a Honcho? confused24.gif but you could order it with the Levi Denim package!

IPB Image

Gold leaf package-

IPB Image

This was real wood ! Really! Wood!

IPB Image
914work
So exactly then why are all you self professed skeptics bothering to clutter the OP's ad with your derogatory comments?
He clearly DOES see the"thing" about these "paint and stickers" packaged cars or he wouldn't have bothered to specify it.
billh1963
QUOTE(914werke @ Apr 2 2015, 03:11 PM) *

So exactly then why are all you self professed skeptics bothering to clutter the OP's ad with your derogatory comments?
He clearly DOES see the"thing" about these "paint and stickers" packaged cars or he wouldn't have bothered to specify it.

For a couple of reasons...

1. There has been a lot of excess hype lately about LE's....some of it over the top. Perhaps part of a "pump and dump" campaign

2. The OP posted "Can any one please tell me how much I could expect to pay for a very good condition LE as I have no idea." Based on that sentence, he is looking for input on the price. Some are merely explaining why (in their opinion) they wouldn't pay a huge premium.

Would you like for me to explain further? I'm bored right now and am happy to oblige... poke.gif
tumamilhem

Furthermore, it wasn't a "paint and stickers" package. There was more to it than that (physically). But what was significant is that it commemorated something. It was made purposely to be a limited edition car, a special run and to commemorate Porsche's greatness and domination on the race track. That's like saying the 1973 911 2.7 and 3.0 911 RS - the car the 914 commemorated, was a "paint and stickers" to "sell slow moving inventory". Which by the way, the 914 WAS moving as Porsche's best selling model ever by far. Only a few of those RS "paint and stickers" cars were made too. Those "paint and stickers" RS cars are not probably the most valuable vintage Porsche cars you can buy.

LEs are special and rare. The rarest of the production breed, in fact. See it/like it or not.
mepstein
Your right. There was a fiberglass front spoiler that ads at least $10k to the value and enough downforce to drive upside down in a tunnel.

Similar to 911RS ? lol-2.gif
bulitt
QUOTE(Creamsicle New Zealand @ Feb 10 2015, 10:16 PM) *

Hi all. I'm new to this forum and to 914s. I'm seriously interested in purchasing a 914 LE. I live in New Zealand and would like to get one shipped here. Due to costs and time involved in shipping to NZ the car I purchase will be a keeper for many years.
I don't have the time to recondition one so would like to purchase one that is in very good condition. Can any one please tell me how much I could expect to pay for a very good condition LE as I have no idea. I'm happy to wait for several months or more for a LE to come up for sale.
Thanks in advance.
Steve

Why commenting on the OP's ad?
Because, it's not an ad? Is it? If it was a WTB, or FS I understand the rules and would not comment.
Plus Bill made a statement which jogged my memory of the 70's, and it was easy to substantiate the fact with photos that lots of cars during that era had decals. Marketing device to sell a product to a defined group of buyers. Don't know if the OP lived during those times?
Not trying to offend anyone or crap on anyone's parade. It was what is was.
rnellums
Should 98 paint code (special order paint to Porsche color) cars command a similar premium to the LE's? I would imagine that they are an order of magnitude rarer than the LE's (less than tens of identical models built vs. hundreds). Personally I think the Bumblebee is my favorite LE, although I have never seen a bumblebee in person. I am partial to black cars though idea.gif !
mepstein
QUOTE(rnellums @ Apr 2 2015, 11:27 PM) *

Should 98 paint code (special order paint to Porsche color) cars command a similar premium to the LE's? I would imagine that they are an order of magnitude rarer than the LE's (less than tens of identical models built vs. hundreds). Personally I think the Bumblebee is my favorite LE, although I have never seen a bumblebee in person. I am partial to black cars though idea.gif !

Ross - The value of your car is what ever you want it to be. The trick is to get one buyer to feel the same as you.

Create a 98 paint code registry and your golden. Add letters after the model number - S, LE, RS work but you can use most any letter in the alphabet to denote special significance. Repeat the phrase - numbers matching. Oh, and add some stickers, everyone likes stickers.
banananose914
Let us not forget the Popsicle, and the always troublesome menstrualcicle.
tumamilhem
QUOTE(rnellums @ Apr 2 2015, 11:27 PM) *

I originally did like the Bumblebee. But my Creamer has grown on me for sure and I much prefer it, even though I wasn't nuts about Light Ivory (I prefer a bold color on the 914). Black has actually become the only color I'm not a fan of for the 914. I think it hides all the angles of the car. Besides, it was the 70's and a funky looking car so it needs a funky looking color. creamsicle914.jpg
tumamilhem
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 2 2015, 11:59 PM) *

Ross - The value of your car is what ever you want it to be. The trick is to get one buyer to feel the same as you.

Or convincing an LE owner to part with it. unsure.gif
87m491
This argument is a bit convoluted and hard to follow. Mentioning an original Carrera RS and LE together tries to bridge a huge chasm. Nothing that made the RS special was available off the shelf unlike everything on the LE, save maybe the stickers. While I appreciate the enthusiasm around LE's they were not the 1:1 V8 that was made for Piech. They are not one of the many handfuls? Of GT's made nor are they one of a few 916 variants so clearly, neither are they, nor will they ever be, "the rarest of the production breed". Whether or not folks choose to value them like they are is up to them!

QUOTE(tumamilhem @ Apr 2 2015, 11:43 AM) *

Furthermore, it wasn't a "paint and stickers" package. There was more to it than that (physically). But what was significant is that it commemorated something. It was made purposely to be a limited edition car, a special run and to commemorate Porsche's greatness and domination on the race track. That's like saying the 1973 911 2.7 and 3.0 911 RS - the car the 914 commemorated, was a "paint and stickers" to "sell slow moving inventory". Which by the way, the 914 WAS moving as Porsche's best selling model ever by far. Only a few of those RS "paint and stickers" cars were made too. Those "paint and stickers" RS cars are not probably the most valuable vintage Porsche cars you can buy.

LEs are special and rare. The rarest of the production breed, in fact. See it/like it or not.
mepstein
QUOTE(87m491 @ Apr 4 2015, 12:38 PM) *

This argument is a bit convoluted and hard to follow. Mentioning an original Carrera RS and LE together tries to bridge a huge chasm. Nothing that made the RS special was available off the shelf unlike everything on the LE, save maybe the stickers. While I appreciate the enthusiasm around LE's they were not the 1:1 V8 that was made for Piech. They are not one of the many handfuls? Of GT's made nor are they one of a few 916 variants so clearly, neither are they, nor will they ever be, "the rarest of the production breed". Whether or not folks choose to value them like they are is up to them!

QUOTE(tumamilhem @ Apr 2 2015, 11:43 AM) *

Porsche produced 106 904s at four or five a day with a list price of US$7245 (FOB Stuttgart).
scotty b
911 RS = 914-6 GT M471

914 LE = 911 Weissach....without the good engine happy11.gif

Nice Weissachs get a 10% -15% premium to very small crowd that see paint, pinstriped seats, and colored wheels as an exclusivity rolleyes.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.