Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Strut school, need advice on strut inserts
Alapone
post Feb 11 2015, 08:21 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,734
Region Association: None

Hello all,

I am in the process of collecting parts for a 5 lug conversion on my 75' 2.0l. I bought a pair of 3" boge struts that came off a 74 911 for the conversion. very new so please excuse stupid questions...Which strut inserts should I be looking for? Will the fronts that are in my 914 components now fit in my new struts? If not what are the sizes and please give me a lay of the land type view on price/ quality / application.

So far everything else is relatively stock though I have serious plans for upgrading to a 2.2l IV in the near future.

I am told by an uncle konis are far and away the best from a customization standpoint. I'm sure this opinion/knowledge is no less than 20yrs old so a refresh is welcomed. Thanks in advance.

Andrew
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
MJHanna
post Feb 11 2015, 08:37 AM
Post #2

Does this 911 make my butt look big?

Member No.: 185

Are you sure they are 3"? a 74 would have been 3.5" bilstein makes struts that will fit in the boge. They have a lot of choices and can also be custom valved if you need that. A 3.5" strut give you a lot more options on brakes.........
+Quote Post
Alapone
post Feb 11 2015, 08:58 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 15,734
Region Association: None

QUOTE(MJHanna @ Feb 11 2015, 09:37 AM) *

Are you sure they are 3"? a 74 would have been 3.5" bilstein makes struts that will fit in the boge. They have a lot of choices and can also be custom valved if you need that. A 3.5" strut give you a lot more options on brakes.........

When I bought em I was told 3" spacing and that they were 1974 . not sure on the year but am sure on the 3". I have a set of M calipers that I was planning on using. I was told by a real deal 914 guy on this forum that my setup would all work together. I just need inserts, wheel bearings and front rotors to finish the job. Custom valved means to adjust pressure and dampening, ride stiffness etc? I assume those will be more expensive? probably don't need anything that serious? or do I?
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Feb 11 2015, 09:59 AM
Post #4

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

You don't need anything that serious, no. "Custom valved" means that the damping characteristics get changed, hopefully to match the weight/springs/driving conditions/driving style of the car. Not usually worth it unless you're racing and need the next 10th of a second.

For your Boge struts, get some 911 Boge inserts. There are also Bilstein inserts that are made to fit the Boge housings. I do not believe the 914 ones will fit correctly, but I could be wrong on that.

--DD
+Quote Post
Bulldog9
post Feb 12 2015, 07:11 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 16,283
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Keep in mind when you change out the insert, if you are pulling the original unit (open cartridge in oil bath), there is a thin O ring that holds the cartridge in the strut housing that has to be removed in order for the cartridge to slide out. A small dentist pic or probe will pull it out.

I replaced mine with a SACHS cartridge. I wont be racing, so wanted a more comfortable ride.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 01:29 AM