Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Strut school
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Alapone
Hello all,

I am in the process of collecting parts for a 5 lug conversion on my 75' 2.0l. I bought a pair of 3" boge struts that came off a 74 911 for the conversion. very new so please excuse stupid questions...Which strut inserts should I be looking for? Will the fronts that are in my 914 components now fit in my new struts? If not what are the sizes and please give me a lay of the land type view on price/ quality / application.

So far everything else is relatively stock though I have serious plans for upgrading to a 2.2l IV in the near future.

I am told by an uncle konis are far and away the best from a customization standpoint. I'm sure this opinion/knowledge is no less than 20yrs old so a refresh is welcomed. Thanks in advance.

Andrew
MJHanna
Are you sure they are 3"? a 74 would have been 3.5" bilstein makes struts that will fit in the boge. They have a lot of choices and can also be custom valved if you need that. A 3.5" strut give you a lot more options on brakes.........
Alapone
QUOTE(MJHanna @ Feb 11 2015, 09:37 AM) *

Are you sure they are 3"? a 74 would have been 3.5" bilstein makes struts that will fit in the boge. They have a lot of choices and can also be custom valved if you need that. A 3.5" strut give you a lot more options on brakes.........

When I bought em I was told 3" spacing and that they were 1974 . not sure on the year but am sure on the 3". I have a set of M calipers that I was planning on using. I was told by a real deal 914 guy on this forum that my setup would all work together. I just need inserts, wheel bearings and front rotors to finish the job. Custom valved means to adjust pressure and dampening, ride stiffness etc? I assume those will be more expensive? probably don't need anything that serious? or do I?
Dave_Darling
You don't need anything that serious, no. "Custom valved" means that the damping characteristics get changed, hopefully to match the weight/springs/driving conditions/driving style of the car. Not usually worth it unless you're racing and need the next 10th of a second.

For your Boge struts, get some 911 Boge inserts. There are also Bilstein inserts that are made to fit the Boge housings. I do not believe the 914 ones will fit correctly, but I could be wrong on that.

--DD
Bulldog9
Keep in mind when you change out the insert, if you are pulling the original unit (open cartridge in oil bath), there is a thin O ring that holds the cartridge in the strut housing that has to be removed in order for the cartridge to slide out. A small dentist pic or probe will pull it out.

I replaced mine with a SACHS cartridge. I wont be racing, so wanted a more comfortable ride.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.