Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

17 Pages V « < 12 13 14 15 16 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> NPC - Ye Olde Vanagon Thread, Let's (try to) rebuild a WBX engine
Tom_T
post Mar 13 2017, 01:44 PM
Post #261

TMI....

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(veltror @ Mar 13 2017, 11:40 AM) *

% cykinder in a T3 rear enguned Audi 5

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif)

Sorry Mate, but I have no idea what you're getting at here!? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

I do know what you meant by the SA Audi 5 cyl. fitment, just not thrilled by it.

Cheers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Apr 11 2017, 09:31 PM
Post #262

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I FINALLY got lucky on a car part purchase! Not that I haven't been given stuff by many people here, etc, but I ACCIDENTALLY found the exact wheels I wanted:

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Was just looking for a set of stock wheels to clean up and put new tires on after a lot of back-and-forth since the stock steel wheels are 14's. I asked about these and the guy said "wait...these aren't stock...they are...15x7. You sure you want 'em?" Ahhh....YEAH! WRAP THOSE UP! Perfect size for a Vanagon. I can add a nice fat 215/70 tire for a smooth ride but still have a decent contact patch and slightly more aggressive look.

+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Apr 11 2017, 10:31 PM
Post #263

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Apr 11 2017, 07:31 PM) *

I FINALLY got lucky on a car part purchase! Not that I haven't been given stuff by many people here, etc, but I ACCIDENTALLY found the exact wheels I wanted:

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Was just looking for a set of stock wheels to clean up and put new tires on after a lot of back-and-forth since the stock steel wheels are 14's. I asked about these and the guy said "wait...these aren't stock...they are...15x7. You sure you want 'em?" Ahhh....YEAH! WRAP THOSE UP! Perfect size for a Vanagon. I can add a nice fat 215/70 tire for a smooth ride but still have a decent contact patch and slightly more aggressive look.

Nice! Those 15s will also reduce the effects of crosswinds and oncoming 18 wheelers.
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Apr 12 2017, 12:22 PM
Post #264

Yeah I hope so! The 14's look so small! I have small tires on the 14's too so that may be part of it. On the new ones it's obvious the centers were cut out and welded to 15" hoops. Can't wait to get them on the beast.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Apr 12 2017, 12:41 PM
Post #265

TMI....

These Maxxis Tires exceed the factory spec & are super stable in winds & 18-wheeler passes - even in the stock 14" size.

I highly recommend them!

http://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-227-104...series-ue-168-n

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
76-914
post Apr 12 2017, 05:26 PM
Post #266

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Mar 13 2017, 12:44 PM) *

QUOTE(veltror @ Mar 13 2017, 11:40 AM) *

% cykinder in a T3 rear enguned Audi 5

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif)

Sorry Mate, but I have no idea what you're getting at here!? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

I do know what you meant by the SA Audi 5 cyl. fitment, just not thrilled by it.

Cheers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////

Easy; %=5 depending on shift key function. U is next to I and K is next to L on the keyboard. Typing w/o eyeglasses would be a kind description, don't you think? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Apr 13 2017, 12:06 PM
Post #267

Thanks for the tire tip Tom (say that 10 times fast).

BTW I'm surprised/bummed about how hard it is to find good VW dog dish hubcaps any more! Sheesh I used to have a dozen of them just for decoration. The new ones apparently rust very easily so it's either used or $$$ OEM if you can find them. The bus/vanagon caps are thicker to accommodate the wheel hub which sticks out a bit so Beetle/Type 3 caps won't work.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Apr 13 2017, 12:16 PM
Post #268

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Apr 13 2017, 11:06 AM) *

BTW I'm surprised/bummed about how hard it is to find good VW dog dish hubcaps any more! Sheesh I used to have a dozen of them just for decoration. The new ones apparently rust very easily so it's either used or $$$ OEM if you can find them. The bus/vanagon caps are thicker to accommodate the wheel hub which sticks out a bit so Beetle/Type 3 caps won't work.

I may have one or two from my Ghia restoration years back. The new ones I purchased in 2001 were thin compared to the factory OEM's. LMK, it's yours for the asking Chris. Kent
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Apr 13 2017, 12:31 PM
Post #269

TMI....

Chris -

Those Maxxis are better than the OE Michelins for the Vanagon when new, & the tread is deeper - so more of an all weather M+S depth (15/32" IIRC).

For the caps, try the VW Bus Shop - Peter Gunzl - either in their regular or VW Classic parts sections, & you may have to look at other T1-T2 or Bugs/Ghias for what you want, since that 15" wheel was more common on those, than Vanagons/T3s.

https://www.vwbusshop.de/

That's where GoWesty, Van Cafe, Bus Depot, etc. gets many of their parts anyway - but adding their own mark-up, &/or not offering kits that are available from Gunzl! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Another source for repro caps might be Hubcap Mike's here in Orange CA, but do a good thick 90-=100% Carnuba wax on them before mounting (both/all sides) cuz their chrome isn't as thick as OE - as I found out with the 57 Plymouth caps used on our 1960 Avion T20 trailer.

Tom
///////
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Apr 13 2017, 03:57 PM
Post #270

QUOTE(76-914 @ Apr 13 2017, 01:16 PM) *

I may have one or two from my Ghia restoration years back. The new ones I purchased in 2001 were thin compared to the factory OEM's. LMK, it's yours for the asking Chris. Kent

Wow thanks Kent! I'll let you know for sure. OEM NEW is $260 for the set shipped. Not terrible. Not great...but not terrible. 3X the cost of the cheaper ones.
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post May 1 2018, 08:21 PM
Post #271

Very interesting....anyone want to make a B36???

Vanagon/996 package deal
+Quote Post
Mueller
post May 1 2018, 08:25 PM
Post #272

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Chris H. @ May 1 2018, 07:21 PM) *

Very interesting....anyone want to make a B36???

Vanagon/996 package deal

There has to be a good story here with that sale.... no wheels or suspension for either vehicle and not even close to being finished?
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post May 1 2018, 09:29 PM
Post #273

It looks like they have suspension for at least the van but it's not installed. I agree there must be a reason why the conversion just stopped one day. You could use a 996 trans in a Vanagon but the AWD setup would be pretty hard to transfer over.
+Quote Post
euro911
post May 2 2018, 04:30 AM
Post #274

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300

'Eileen' is at a friend's shop - the old 1.9L sucked a valve back in December, so it'll be coming home with a 2.1L in it soon (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post May 2 2018, 06:58 AM
Post #275

Sticking with the waterboxer eh Mark? 2.1 should give it more pep.

I'm stalled at a crossroads on mine...I have a line on a 2.2L Subaru engine with less than 80k...guy wants $600. Or I could rebuild my 1.9 which looks very good inside. I could just re-ring it and re-seal it, but then you start thinking about "while I'm in there.." and it starts adding up.
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post May 2 2018, 08:59 AM
Post #276

914 Neferati

QUOTE(euro911 @ May 2 2018, 03:30 AM) *

'Eileen' is at a friend's shop - the old 1.9L sucked a valve back in December, so it'll be coming home with a 2.1L in it soon (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Mark - Do you need any 2.1 wiring harness pieces? I've got a complete, uncut (I think), harness without a van to go into.
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post May 2 2018, 09:06 AM
Post #277

914 Neferati

QUOTE(Chris H. @ May 2 2018, 05:58 AM) *

Sticking with the waterboxer eh Mark? 2.1 should give it more pep.

I'm stalled at a crossroads on mine...I have a line on a 2.2L Subaru engine with less than 80k...guy wants $600. Or I could rebuild my 1.9 which looks very good inside. I could just re-ring it and re-seal it, but then you start thinking about "while I'm in there.." and it starts adding up.

Rebuilding that 1.9 is a great idea...... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif)

If you can get the engine harness and ecu with the Subie why would you even hesitate. MPG alone will probably make up the cost difference. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
euro911
post May 2 2018, 11:17 AM
Post #278

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ May 2 2018, 07:59 AM) *
Mark - Do you need any 2.1 wiring harness pieces? I've got a complete, uncut (I think), harness without a van to go into.
I'll shoot you a PM, Marc.
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post May 2 2018, 03:48 PM
Post #279

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ May 2 2018, 10:06 AM) *

Rebuilding that 1.9 is a great idea...... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif)

If you can get the engine harness and ecu with the Subie why would you even hesitate. MPG alone will probably make up the cost difference. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

Yeah I can't explain it Marc. It's like I want to finish it for the engineering challenge. The parts are worth more than the whole engine running I bet. And the zero to 60 time BRAND NEW per Motorweek was 18 seconds. I'd like to go 2.5 but it's so hard to find a low mileage one fairly cheaply.

Probably posted this before, but here's the Motorweek review...handled pretty well for a big metal box.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnnVFB3628g
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post May 2 2018, 05:12 PM
Post #280

TMI....

QUOTE(Chris H. @ May 2 2018, 01:48 PM) *

And the zero to 60 time BRAND NEW per Motorweek was 18 seconds.

I have it on good authority that it's much longer than that! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Attached Image

Tom
///////
+Quote Post

17 Pages V « < 12 13 14 15 16 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:54 AM