Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

17 Pages V « < 14 15 16 17 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> NPC - Ye Olde Vanagon Thread, Let's (try to) rebuild a WBX engine
Chris H.
post May 15 2018, 07:29 AM
Post #301

Group: Members
Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Chip only.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
flmont
post May 15 2018, 02:59 PM
Post #302

Member No.: 9,676
Region Association: Southwest Region

oh,..good Thanks
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post May 16 2018, 08:16 AM
Post #303

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Chris H. @ May 14 2018, 06:56 AM) *

It does creep up on you doesn't it? I picked up a Stage 1 ecutune chip last week for my 914 and MAN does it make a difference.

I'm on the hunt for an EG33 or EZ30. Steve has some big HP Plans so he should hang on to that spare motor for now. I'll find one soon I'm sure.

I'm curious what specific benefits you've gotten from the chip. I've got a Stage 1 v 5 chip that was never installed when we did the conversion because we wanted to see how the engine worked without it. I kind of forgot about the chip but you've jogged my memory. At the time, it was purported that it would allow use of regular grade gas instead of premium. That would be a great savings by itself, especially with the crap that's out there now.
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post May 16 2018, 08:47 AM
Post #304

Marc,

The "seat of your pants" difference is that it's more responsive and has fewer parameters to monitor so the minor hesitation that you might find occasionally with the stock ECU is gone. Seems like the power curve has been slightly altered. It does allow the use of regular gas if you want. You install a switch that you can toggle back and forth between. I bought the ECU with the chip so it has a switch installed if you want pics of it. Very simple on/off that is powered by a keyed source. The regular/premium switch was apparently also designed alternatively to be used in conjunction with nitrous so it must retard the timing slightly. Might be nice for highway trips. Regular gas is almost $1 cheaper around here.

+Quote Post
KELTY360
post May 16 2018, 08:49 PM
Post #305

914 Neferati

QUOTE(Chris H. @ May 16 2018, 07:47 AM) *

Marc,

The "seat of your pants" difference is that it's more responsive and has fewer parameters to monitor so the minor hesitation that you might find occasionally with the stock ECU is gone. Seems like the power curve has been slightly altered. It does allow the use of regular gas if you want. You install a switch that you can toggle back and forth between. I bought the ECU with the chip so it has a switch installed if you want pics of it. Very simple on/off that is powered by a keyed source. The regular/premium switch was apparently also designed alternatively to be used in conjunction with nitrous so it must retard the timing slightly. Might be nice for highway trips. Regular gas is almost $1 cheaper around here.

Does the chip benefit mpg or is the savings vs. higher octane the benefit?

Also, I didn’t realize the hesitation was ecu related.
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post May 16 2018, 09:18 PM
Post #306

I haven’t driven it long enough to assess MPG but will let you know. Most people on the SVX board say they got a heavier right foot after installing the chip so MPG went down a bit. It was designed to increase performance and smooth out the power curve but in 87 octane mode the timing would be slightly retarded which may also increase MPG. And the gas is cheaper of course.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jul 12 2018, 08:39 AM
Post #307

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(gymnastlymph @ Jul 12 2018, 07:11 AM) *

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Feb 18 2015, 10:42 AM) *

Mixed results in the Vanagon world. I know two guys who did the Bostig swap and then switched to Subaru /4s. I know others who love them. The guys who switched weren't impressed with the torque of the Focus. I think those who are happy with their Bostigs are just glad to be done with the waterboxer.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/birthday3.gif)
I bought a E-Hybrid Panamera S 2 years ago. I love its fuel efficiency. Its the best sports-sedan i ever seen.

But, now a days i am facing problem with my V6 Engine. Will anyone suggest me how to customize the electric motor to improve its parformance?

I doubt that anyone here will be able to assist you with that, Everyone at this site is s "Petro Head"! Now if you had a 914 model this would be your place. Good luck with your search. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Oct 9 2018, 03:44 PM
Post #308

914 Neferati

QUOTE(Chris H. @ May 16 2018, 07:47 AM) *

Marc,

Just to report back, I've just had some upgrades done prior to moving to a small town. Had my ECUTune v.5 (now called Subiechips) chip installed with a switch for regular gas. Haven't tried reg. yet but the difference is noticeable. As mentioned, the hesitation is now gone and the 'seat of the pants' power band is noticeably improved. I also had my exhaust modified with a longer path to reduce backpressure in order to prevent backfiring. I thought the EG33 was great before, but now it's an order of magnitude better. Can't wait for a road trip!

The s/s headers which I got from Smallcar developed many small cracks which were undoubtedly causing vacuum leaks so I can't attribute all improvements to the chip, but overall it performs like a new van. I'll post some pics of the exhaust when I get a chance.
+Quote Post
flmont
post Oct 9 2018, 05:23 PM
Post #309

Is that the same chip that if you go to bigger 300 ZX injector's (370's I think ) and the 300ZX MAF that it is suppose to increase your HP/TQ up to Claims of 30 HP.
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Oct 9 2018, 05:34 PM
Post #310

914 Neferati

QUOTE(flmont @ Oct 9 2018, 04:23 PM) *

Is that the same chip that if you go to bigger 300 ZX injector's (370's I think ) and the 300ZX MAF that it is suppose to increase your HP/TQ up to Claims of 30 HP.

I don't know. Maybe one of these other H6 guys will know.
+Quote Post
flmont
post Oct 9 2018, 05:56 PM
Post #311

OK,..Thanks..I know that performance chip does come from Subiechips in Fla.But Iam not sure how many versions there are.
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Oct 10 2018, 08:49 AM
Post #312

Awesome news Marc! It's a lot more responsive, right?

As I understand it the stock ECU was programmed with a few too many parameters, so it was constantly trying to learn and improve itself, considering altitude, driving style, fuel economy, emissions, etc. This is why the stock ECU can make the engine feel just a little different every time you drive it. That chip gives it a fairly static map based on the JDM tune and tells it "just keep the air/fuel mix at X".

Frank, there are a couple of versions of the chip. The one we have is for stock injectors.

Here is a link to the site for the chips (both versions)

subiechips

The guy is also active on the subaru-svx.net forums under the screen name longassname.

+Quote Post
flmont
post Oct 10 2018, 08:33 PM
Post #313

Thank You,...Sir Chris
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Oct 28 2018, 08:36 PM
Post #314

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181

Well .... we picked up another toy yesterday!

I know, I know .... it's "Repetitively Redundant" towed with a Westy full camper, but think of it as a guest house for the grandkids!

Also, since it's a 1970, it's eligible for the vintage trailer events which we go to (the Westy is too young!), we can go with this, & since it's small car towable, we can tow it with the Westy, & with the 85 325e & 914-2.0 - if I put hitches on them.

1970 Eriba Puck (German made Export model & appliances/water/LP/electrical gear finished fitting-out in CA with the CA-HCD RV/Trailer Approval Plate), 12' L (10' L box) x 5.5' W, 660 lbs empty, 70 lbs hitch wt. - sleeps 2-3 at dinette made into bed, 2 burner LP stove, Icebox (some had the optional 3-way fridge), sink & +/-10 gal. fresh water tank, center pop-top lifts for standing room & down to fit in a normal ht. garage.

Attached Image Attached Image
Attached Image Attached Image

Wife is happy now! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)

Cheers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
76-914
post Oct 28 2018, 09:11 PM
Post #315

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

That is soo sweet. Congrats on your acquisition. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
burton73
post Oct 28 2018, 09:56 PM
Post #316

burton73

Member No.: 7,414

Tom,

Congratulation. Super nice. Enjoy in good health!

Bob B
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)
+Quote Post
euro911
post Oct 28 2018, 11:13 PM
Post #317

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300

That's really cool, Tom. In my case, the only issue is that it would need a bathroom/shower to make it 'wife friendly' (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

I got my '84 Westy back a couple months ago - with a new 2.1L, so it should be able to pull a small trailer - slowly (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Oct 29 2018, 01:12 PM
Post #318

TMI....

QUOTE(euro911 @ Oct 28 2018, 10:13 PM) *

That's really cool, Tom. In my case, the only issue is that it would need a bathroom/shower to make it 'wife friendly' (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

I got my '84 Westy back a couple months ago - with a new 2.1L, so it should be able to pull a small trailer - slowly (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Yes Mark - slowly! Plus you need more room to stop the little rig. Our Westy is also the stock 2.1L.

Eriba does make the newer Pucks with a tiny bathroom, as well as in bigger models with baths up to the Trolls & Tritons, & a San Diego company makes a Puck copy with a bath option IIRC. You just need to watch the trailer wt. & hitch wt. with small cars!

We'll get a Thetford porta-potty for the Westy & Puck, & I already have a solar shower for it - both of which can be used with the Lil Pucker, but don't know if that will satisfy your wife.

We already have a bigger restored 1960 Avion T20 trailer with a full bath (which we're using for facilities at home right now during our home resto), but it requires a larger tow vehicle. The Avion is for full on "Glamping"!

We've been showing our Westy with the Avion T20 at the Newport Dunes Vintage Trailer/RV Rally since 2013:
Attached Image

Now the Lil' Pucker gives us an option to tow a small camper with our 325e & Westy (& maybe 914?). Note that - while the Puck names offers endless puns that both my wife & I use - that isn't the name which she's given "her cute little trailer"! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Thanx for all of the great comments everybody! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
euro911
post Oct 29 2018, 05:28 PM
Post #319

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300

We have a Thetford porta-potty. Need to concoct some sort of shower though ...
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Oct 29 2018, 07:32 PM
Post #320

TMI....

QUOTE(euro911 @ Oct 29 2018, 04:28 PM) *

We have a Thetford porta-potty. Need to concoct some sort of shower though ...

Mark,

Zodi has a pop-up / fold up shower enclosure, & propane powered intstate water heaters -

http://zodi.com/hot-showers

GoWesty used to carry them both, but they also have a couple of PVC Solar Heated Bag for shower heated water, which we got one -

http://www.gowesty.com/product/portable-sh...solar-shower?v=

http://www.gowesty.com/product/portable-sh...er-5-gallon-?v=

http://www.gowesty.com/search-results.php?...h_phrase=Shower

I got a rear hatch tent enclosure which slips over the rear hatch while up, which we can use for "outside facilities" of porta-potty & shower when camping. IIRC it was from Bus Depot in PA.

PS - VW Bus Shop / Perter Gunzl in Germany is another parts & accessories source to check first, because you get your order within a week or so, they have loads of parts, their prices are better than GoWesty, Bus Depot, Van Cafe, etc. - & those guys buy them from him & mark it up to sell to us!

http://www.vwbusshop.de/en_GB

GoWesty also makes a repro of the Euro Option Storage box for Westy's behind the passenger seat, which will hold the porta-potty, & they sell the Thetford (but Walmart, Amazon etc may be cheaper).

http://www.gowesty.com/product/storage-org...reproduction?v=

http://www.gowesty.com/product/portable-to...table-toilet?v=

I'm still on the fence about getting the box myself. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Cheers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post

17 Pages V « < 14 15 16 17 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 04:02 AM