Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

17 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> NPC - Ye Olde Vanagon Thread, Let's (try to) rebuild a WBX engine
KELTY360
post Feb 20 2015, 12:24 PM
Post #41

914 Neferati

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,344
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(pete000 @ Feb 20 2015, 10:14 AM) *

Another crazy conversion, V8 twin turbo power this time also mid engine.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/yikes.gif) Where does the sink go? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914forme
post Feb 20 2015, 03:05 PM
Post #42

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Feb 20 2015, 12:00 PM) *

I wouldn't pay $10k but for less...who knows. Wonder what "Subie power" it has. The "add-ons" are certainly distracting aren't they? Someone had some extra tractor trailer parts and a whole lot of diamond plate laying around.

Link

LOL I would if it has on of these in it.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Feb 20 2015, 06:06 PM
Post #43

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Feb 19 2015, 06:18 PM) *

Tom, some of my customers do tow small pop-up camping rigs, nothing in the range of 3-4,000 lbs. though. The 3.2/3.6 Porsche engines are good rpm+hp engines, but lack reliable torque for a big haul...especially when the engine already sits in a 4,000 lb. Syncro !
If you are considering pulling that Airstream with a v8 Cayenne, read up on these over at Rennlist. TSB's galore and issues. My nephew owned an '05 v8 biturbo for 2 years, and the maintenance ate him alive. He sold it at a $10k loss.
For towing I have an F150 supercharged 5.4L with an intercooled magna charger at 7 psi boost. It can pull trailers all day !
Marty (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

Thanx Marty!

That tracks with what I found out when my wife asked about towing with "her Van" & a V8 swap was just too big, as that other pic of one shows.

Where we live in an Old Towne area Orange 1921 Craftman Bungalow with the long narrow driveway & narrow streets. So aside from big & long trucks/SUVs being a royal PITA to manuever the rig into the driveway on our busy street - I can't open the full size trucks' door more than 1/4 - 1/3 open!

No Room!
Attached Image

So the choice was for the smallest SUV package with a V8 & good towing capacity for our Avion, & to also serve as an "extra" 3rd car when one of the others is in the shop. My wife won't even drive a full size pick-up/SUV - so that also killed anything big. The PO of the Avion also had a nice blue/tan `06 F150 V8 that they used as their TV for it & was also FS, but she nixed it right off!

I have checked a lot into the Cayenne S/Toureg V8 issues on Rennlist, AirForums, Pelican, etc. & Eric Shea on here - so know what to look for in them being fixed/updated on the TSBs.

For that reason are mostly looking at Series 2 (ser. 1.5?) 2008-10 CayS's ... or a 2006 (`07 carry-over) Titanium Edition - mainly for the 1 year Iceland Silver (bluish silver) paint color that we like.

The Porsche route filled those needs well plus something else to do with the Porsche club events & drives + I can tow the 914 after the resto is done to concours if needed (at first anyway, but then I'll drive the 914 regualrly), since the 914 resto keeps getting pushed aside. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Feb 20 2015, 06:11 PM
Post #44

TMI....

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Feb 20 2015, 10:24 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/yikes.gif) Where does the sink go? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Exactly! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Love your Subie-Westy Marc! Very nicely done!

BTW for the V8 folks - IIRC it was this or last week that evil-bay had a V8 Westy conversion FS.

EDIT - here>
http://www.ebay.com/itm/171688402437?force...E:SS:SS:US:1120

No Affill, just part of the discussion here.

And there was also a video of a fully blown V8 drag Vanagon video on UTube dragging out the the desert somewhere, that I saw last year sometime, but have lost the bookmarks when my HDD drive died. Crazy fast!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/yikes.gif)

.... but not a practical idea for most on this thread.

Cheers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
anderssj
post Feb 20 2015, 07:20 PM
Post #45

Dog is my copilot...

Member No.: 207
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

at "Classics on the Green," 9-14-14 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Feb 21 2015, 05:18 PM
Post #46

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Feb 20 2015, 12:24 PM) *

Yeah good point. No need for a heater though! And you can roast marshmallows right there in the van!

Maybe they aren't done with it but if so, how LOUD is in in there? WOW. An empty metal box with a twin turbo V8 in the middle of it sucking air through two big cone filters?

Does that barn door have a 4-cam in it???? I see two distributors...

+Quote Post
rgalla9146
post Feb 21 2015, 05:45 PM
Post #47

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,176

Later air cooled 911 (993, 3.6) engines had a twin distributor to make it a 12 plug.
+Quote Post
Maltese Falcon
post Feb 21 2015, 06:57 PM
Post #48

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,755

Tom T.
I travel daily through Craftsman Central in Glendale, Atwater, Silverlake...I hear what you are sayin about the driveways. But the restored homes are a step back into the '20s, Way Cool !
The 400hp small block that I built for the 2cab, was built from a vintage iron '69 4bolt main LT1. Later model angle plug heads, 8.5:1 cr for today's low octane unleaded, Holly pro-jection, Isky cam with PJ gear drive, Milodon 7 qt. baffle oil pan, MSD ignition and an Edelbrock air gap manifold...and some of my shorty v8 block hugger ceramic coated headers. All way under budget too....I'll use the savings for a nice White/pearl paint job !Attached Image
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Feb 22 2015, 05:09 PM
Post #49

TMI....

QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Feb 21 2015, 04:57 PM) *

Tom T.
I travel daily through Craftsman Central in Glendale, Atwater, Silverlake...I hear what you are sayin about the driveways. But the restored homes are a step back into the '20s, Way Cool !
The 400hp small block that I built for the 2cab, was built from a vintage iron '69 4bolt main LT1. Later model angle plug heads, 8.5:1 cr for today's low octane unleaded, Holly pro-jection, Isky cam with PJ gear drive, Milodon 7 qt. baffle oil pan, MSD ignition and an Edelbrock air gap manifold...and some of my shorty v8 block hugger ceramic coated headers. All way under budget too....I'll use the savings for a nice White/pearl paint job !Attached Image

Hot motor Marty, it reminds me of the one I helped my uncle build as a teen in the 1960's for his 32 Deuce Roadster with the rumble seat hot rod!

Good thing about the Dokas etc. is that the working deck/floor is higher to be able to put in a taller block/manifold/etc. & you can steal some space for it from that underfloor storage compartment.

However, I always thought that they cast those Edlebrock valve covers such that the read right side up when mounted on the motor, unless something has changed since the 60's-70's!!?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

Right now the 90+ year old house is an added list of projects to do on the honey do list that get in the way of my 914 - in addition to competition from our 88 Westy, 85 BMW & Avion trailer & probably a Cayenne S soon too - but we really like it here!

Now & for several years I'm suffering from serious case of too many projects, too little time - itis! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

I always thought that a 928 S4 motor & trans or G50 or ?? with all the brake & suspension upgrades from same would make for an awesome Vanagon or Westy & one that could tow a bigger trailer, whicle keeping it all OG. I figure if Rick can jamb one into a 914, then a Vanagon might be doable too - if the engine & drivetrain can be reversed reliably.

And a Big Thanx to all on here (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) for some "sanity time" distractoin talking about fun cars over the past week+, away from the serial calls from doctors, hospitals, family members, etc. while my aunt is in hospital back east & I'm her designated decision maker!

Cheers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Feb 22 2015, 08:02 PM
Post #50

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) If I didnt already have my bay conversion.
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Feb 23 2015, 08:05 AM
Post #51

C'mon Doc you have plenty of room! That bay is appreciating in value! It can just sit around now all purty.

Seriously...the one without the motor.... If someone could buy it with the trailer it would be a nice deal (IF it's as rust-free and decent as described). Maybe get it for a bit less and clean it up, slap a motor in it, make it safe, drive it.

Tom, your Aunt is lucky to have you. She must be a great person.
+Quote Post
Maltese Falcon
post Feb 23 2015, 12:47 PM
Post #52

Advanced Member

Tom, the way that Edelbrock casts their valve covers is for the breathers to be staggered. I wanted both of the breathers to face forward...so you wind up with one of his signatures reading "Creatively" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
A late model 928 32v engine would be awesome in the Vanagon engine bay. Simple procedure: torch/ hammer/ machine shop (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
Marty
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Feb 23 2015, 03:18 PM
Post #53

TMI....

QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Feb 23 2015, 10:47 AM) *

Tom, the way that Edelbrock casts their valve covers is for the breathers to be staggered. I wanted both of the breathers to face forward...so you wind up with one of his signatures reading "Creatively" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
A late model 928 32v engine would be awesome in the Vanagon engine bay. Simple procedure: torch/ hammer/ machine shop (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
Marty

So you're really just saying that you wanted to read both sides right side up from the one side when you're working on the motor! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I also meant to say the my uncle's 32 Deuce eventually had a bored & stroked Chevy 327 Holly 850 & Edlebrock hi-rise, but only after he gave up on tweaking the Ford Flat Head (239ci IIRC) & then a later Merc V8.

His 58 Vette also eventually had a similar OE stock 327 setup (IIRC it was triple-deuce from the factory), but was eventually punched/stroked & ran the Holly 1250 & E-brock Hi-rise, when he held the class for a couple of years at the old OC Dragstip off I-5 during the early 60's (IIRC 64-65-ish).

Then he & his partner on a fuely rail put an aviation supercharger on a Chev big block (partner was an AV mechanic at USMCAS El Toro & had "access"), which had way too much boost & blew the engine about every other run, so they had 2-3 motors. They probably would've held that class too, if the motors weren't always blowing.

He was an interesting guy who owned the only bindery in OC, so he did all the 60's surfer & hot rod magazines & gave me the discards free to read (I was into body surfing though). Great stuff for a 10 year old in `63 thru high school & college during the 60's & 70's!
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Feb 24 2015, 09:38 AM
Post #54

This one looks pretty good too if you want a Westy. I'm not a camper myself...

Westy no engine

The body isn't perfect but check that interior...would guess it's hard to find one with the inside in that condition. And the price is "obo"... Could make a nice driver for someone out west. You guys have all the good cars.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Feb 24 2015, 09:43 AM
Post #55

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

That would be a perfect candidate for a conversion.
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Feb 24 2015, 10:09 AM
Post #56

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344

QUOTE(914forme @ Feb 24 2015, 07:43 AM) *

That would be a perfect candidate for a conversion.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Even comes with a bumper upgrade. I'll bet it doesn't last long.
+Quote Post
Maltese Falcon
post Mar 1 2015, 02:25 AM
Post #57

Advanced Member

Nothing to it, just bring the Syncro 4wd (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
MartyAttached Image
+Quote Post
JRust
post Mar 1 2015, 07:36 PM
Post #58

914 Guru

Member No.: 129

I should have taken a picture. Jonathon at Integrity Auto in Bend. Had 3 westy's. One 4x4 1 4x4 pickup thing (not sure what they are called). The 3rd he just painted & it's getting a NA 2.5 suby installed. I believe the first 2 both had suby 6's
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Mar 1 2015, 08:38 PM
Post #59

A Syncro Doublecab you mean? Jamie! Pics!

Doc, this one is south of you...

Delivery Van

Says "very good" condition...might be a nice tranny hauler/mobile workshop but you'd have to look at it to be sure. Guessing the back seats are no longer there.

+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Mar 1 2015, 09:23 PM
Post #60

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372

Stop it, Chris H.! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif) I am trying to cut back. That last one had me tempted. I will buy just about any project that is <$3K.

Jerk (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)
+Quote Post

17 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:28 AM