Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

17 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> NPC - Ye Olde Vanagon Thread, Let's (try to) rebuild a WBX engine
Chris H.
post Feb 18 2015, 10:09 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Saw this over on Pelican....these guys seem to be very committed to RELIABLE swaps... love the passion! The Focus engine is only 130 HP stock but pretty cool. Which way does the Zetec spin?

Bostig

Just thought there are a lot of Vanagon fans here who might like to see this.

If you have never done a swap you might think the complete kit less engine, ECU and power steering pump is expensive @ $6k to which I say (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) .
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914forme
post Feb 18 2015, 10:32 AM
Post #2

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388
Region Association: None

They have a rebate of $1000, if you met their list of demands.
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Feb 18 2015, 10:42 AM
Post #3

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Mixed results in the Vanagon world. I know two guys who did the Bostig swap and then switched to Subaru /4s. I know others who love them. The guys who switched weren't impressed with the torque of the Focus. I think those who are happy with their Bostigs are just glad to be done with the waterboxer.
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Feb 18 2015, 10:48 AM
Post #4

Could you (low pressure) turbo it...? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Feb 18 2015, 11:11 AM
Post #5

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

Yep I'd say the subi swap is still the most popular because it is still a boxer.
The VW 1.8T is likely 2nd place.

I have a buddy who does VW diesel swaps, he's done several syncros, but IMHO they are way too expensive for what you get.
But if you plan on doing 3rd world countries diesel is a good plan. He travels to central america most winters.

Most inline 4's sit too high, so many don't work well. For example the 1.8T you have to mod the pump P/U and lay it more on an angle.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Feb 18 2015, 12:06 PM
Post #6

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

EDIT:

Ha! So I found my Hannover VW Oldtimer Museum pix for the Vanagon foglights pix below, & here is the Porsche B32 from there.

So Chris - you're now officially WITH PC in this thread! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

1985-87 (IIRC) PORSCHE B32 6 PASSENGER VAN ---v
Attached Image

Porsche apparently built 2 as "specials" to be support vehicles for the early `80's 959s offroad racing in Africa, etc., then in 1985 decided to try to build & sell a few to top end customers - most were this 6 passenger tin-top, with 1 of the 15+/- as a "California Joker" Westy Camper Van (in White). There's a lot of good info online about them.

Thanx for posting this! And here FYI & so you can change the NPC to SPC .... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Porsche B32 - the ultimate swap (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
- full Carrera 3.2L 6 + all suspension, brakes, Fuchs wheels, etc. done by the Porsche factory on 15-20 +/- Vanagons - including at least one camper - & sold by Porsche for about $70,000 DM in the early to mid 1980s!

Google for it, an interesting story & one B32 tin top resides in the Hanover VW Classic Oldtimer Works shop/museum.

If doing a semi-clone/tribute one today, I'd do it with the 986/996 or 987/997 -6 & more modern running gear. That would be my "if I win the Lotto" project for our 88 Westy! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Otherwise, from our perspective of being a few years away from retirement & then on a fixed income BS - the 48 month/48,000 mi warranty on a GoWesty 2.5L big bore/stroked flat 4 waterboxer would be our choice - just to have everything covered after popping down the cash for an engine swap if/when it's needed (the other swaps are only 6-12 month & 6-12k mi - if anything) - & after our spending lotsa $$$'s on the rolling resto 2012-14!

Cheers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////

Coupla Westy as 98% completed rolling resto pix....

Attached Image

Attached Image

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
Jon H.
post Feb 18 2015, 12:10 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 13,264
Region Association: Canada

The Bostig set-up is a very complete kit but it is expensive as was mentioned! I did my vanagon/SVX swap for approx. $2500 and that included the engine, ecu and wiring harness.

Jon H.
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Feb 18 2015, 12:49 PM
Post #8

AWESOME Westy Tom. Love the look of those late Vanagons. Gotta have one.

Yeah for the more skilled you can certainly do it cheaper, but if not go for a complete kit. I have a huge box of stuff that looked like it would work for my conversion but did not. Probably several hundred $ worth.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Feb 18 2015, 01:37 PM
Post #9

TMI....

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Feb 18 2015, 10:49 AM) *

AWESOME Westy Tom. Love the look of those late Vanagons. Gotta have one.

Yeah for the more skilled you can certainly do it cheaper, but if not go for a complete kit. I have a huge box of stuff that looked like it would work for my conversion but did not. Probably several hundred $ worth.

Thanx Chris!

Yes on the kit or engine if you do it yourself, but in my case the GoWesty would be done by my long term 914/Westy/BMW mechanic (40 years later this year!), cuz he knows the car, & I get hammered with time required for my business & other BS.

The engine was replaced with a stock 2.1L rebuilt for thrown rod in the original at about 130k mi in `99 & top end done in 2006 for the typical reasons, so we're probably due soon now at 213k mi & almost 10 years later.

At least I'm right side up value wise, since these in this sort of like-new condition are valuing out now at $35-50+k & $50-100k +/- on the full GoWesty 2.4/2.5L engines or good Suby conversions.

I was surprised that it's post resto value would be more than the post-resto value on my 73 914-2.0 whenever it's done (at current values anyway). So that eased the pain of having to further postpone the 914 work to get the Westy done.

Attached Image

BTW - those are the Euro style fog light option as seen in that Hanover VW Oldtimer museum/shop pic below - but I used smaller & more powerful "modern" Hella MicroFF foglights (also available as driving lites) with the factory dash switch & an SS repop of the factory brackets from VW Bus Shop/Peter Gunzl in Germany.

BUS PARTS TIP:

Also as a Heads up for you Westy & other Vanagons & Buses out there - go to VW Bus Shop/Peter Gunzl in Germany FIRST for your parts - before you go to GoWesty, Bus Depot, Van Cafe, etc. - unless you need it right away & then only if it's in stock at those USA places.

http://www.vwbusshop.de/

They also carry Bus, & T1, T2, T4 7 T5 Van parts too - in addition to the T3 (T25 UK) Vanagon parts.

That's because GoWesty, Bus Depot, Van Cafe & most of the others are buying their stuff from them anyway & marking it up + making you wait for them to accumulate a shipping container of orders to ship to them, then to you. Gunzl will ship direct & it usually takes about 2-4 weeks (but still less than the US guys - unless they have the item in stock).

I didn't find out this until after spending a load for parts, & as 1 example I paid double for the window seals from Bus Depot when Gunzl still sold the kit (we wanted to keep the ones with the grooves for the plasti-chrome locking strips) ....

... PLUS - we had the dang Westy just sitting & waiting all painted for 8-9 months waiting for Bus Depot to get some of the seals etc. in a container - when the a-holes told me they had it all in stock & ready to ship!!!!

I would've waited to put the van in until I had parts in hand, if they'd just told me the truth! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

I have a ton of other parts sources after all this tracking stuff down, so just shoot me an email or PM with what you need & I can suggest the source(s). I may be slow on answers now though, due to dealing with an elderly aunt back east in hospital, with me & the sibs as her only family for medical stuff etc., so be patient.

Tom
///////
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Feb 18 2015, 02:29 PM
Post #10

I WAAAAAANT THAAAAAAAAAAATTTTT

Attached Image

Thanks for all the Vanagon info Tom. Getting a serious itch for one (Unlikely a B32 but maybe a Subie clone (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) ). I did see that the value for NICE Vanagons are way up there now just like the rest of the busses. Cool thing is you can USE them. Sorta like a 914.

Best wishes to your Aunt (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

EDIT: BTW We'll need Andy to help us order stuff from that site (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) .
+Quote Post
rgalla9146
post Feb 18 2015, 03:20 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,176

We are real gluttons for punishment. We're interested in not one but two cars that need way too much to be the way we want.
Does anyone here know if a Boxster engine can be adapted to a 915 trans ?
Here's why I ask.
I'm not a fan of multi-national engine swaps.
Subagon, Fordagon not for me. No diesels either.
My only gripe with the orig. 2.1l is that it's too wound up on the highway.
Boxster engines are plentiful, and yes, I know about IMS probability. And I understand that the intake is a too tall, but maybe that can be remedied.
A water-cooled German boxer six in place of a water-cooled boxer four ? That's the ticket.
Any insight is appreciated.
Pictures of my '89 attached.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Feb 18 2015, 09:11 PM
Post #12

TMI....

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Feb 18 2015, 01:20 PM) *

We are real gluttons for punishment. We're interested in not one but two cars that need way too much to be the way we want.
Does anyone here know if a Boxster engine can be adapted to a 915 trans ?
Here's why I ask.
I'm not a fan of multi-national engine swaps.
Subagon, Fordagon not for me. No diesels either.
My only gripe with the orig. 2.1l is that it's too wound up on the highway.
Boxster engines are plentiful, and yes, I know about IMS probability. And I understand that the intake is a too tall, but maybe that can be remedied.
A water-cooled German boxer six in place of a water-cooled boxer four ? That's the ticket.
Any insight is appreciated.
Pictures of my '89 attached.

I agree on the all German approach. IIRC the B32 used the 915 transmission + 3.2L 911 Carrera motor & all running gear, & they raised the rear deck about 3-4" - if you google for B32 pix online.

I said I'd opt for the waterboxer newer Boxter/Cayman/911 flavor 6's to keep it still all watercooled on the later Westies ..... IF I win the Lotto big!!

And get that dang snow off the Westy - the weight & ar resistance will just slow it down more! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Feb 18 2015, 09:32 PM
Post #13

TMI....

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Feb 18 2015, 12:29 PM) *

I WAAAAAANT THAAAAAAAAAAATTTTT

Attached Image

Thanks for all the Vanagon info Tom. Getting a serious itch for one (Unlikely a B32 but maybe a Subie clone (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) ). I did see that the value for NICE Vanagons are way up there now just like the rest of the busses. Cool thing is you can USE them. Sorta like a 914.

Best wishes to your Aunt (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

EDIT: BTW We'll need Andy to help us order stuff from that site (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) .

Nope - just click on the Brit flag at the top right & it switches to English like this ....
http://www.vwbusshop.de/epages/GuenzlClass...nzlClassicParts

Thanx for the well wishes for my aunt, she's turned for the better today.

Here are some B32's that are more affordable..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

http://www.ebay.de/itm/VW-T3a-Porsche-B32-...=item27f8ef3f41

Attached Image

http://www.ebay.de/itm/VW-T3b-B32-Porsche-...=item2a4b09c3ef

Attached Image

http://www.ebay.de/itm/1-43-Premium-Classi...=item58b91521cc

Attached Image

Of course, they're a bit smaller than the "real" ones! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Feb 18 2015, 09:39 PM
Post #14

TMI....

And BTW Chris - you can safely change your topic title to SPC "Some Porsche Content" now! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

The VW Bus Shop/Gunzl link I posted above in my last post above goes directly to the English version.

Tom
///////
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Feb 18 2015, 10:40 PM
Post #15

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

3.6 996 motor in a Vanagon

I thought I saw another video years ago with an aircooled 3.6 in a Vanagon, it was blasting up some windy road and getting the rear end out a few feet here and there?
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Feb 18 2015, 10:51 PM
Post #16

Fixed the title Tom! That parts site is a lot easier to read now! I'm liking the B32 Wasserboxer clone idea. Synchro might be cool too (or maybe not, you guys tell me).

This video is pretty popular Mike:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCO4I4Am8x4

SVX engine...very tempting as well. Kelty360 has a very nice one... The in-car vid at the end is the best part. That guy is HAULING ASS in that Vanagon!
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Feb 18 2015, 11:18 PM
Post #17

TMI....

There are some good B32 engine bay videos on UTube too - cool to hear.

Apparently the 1980's Synchro was ahead of it's time & very good & reliable, but my wife wanted an automatic since the Westy was her DD & the Synchro Westy's were stick only (she's afraid to drive it to work & park in the hospital parking structure now that it's all purdy again).

If it were a modern Porsche waterboxer 6, then I'd say lean toward the 911 Carrera 4S setup for the AWD. Probably the way to go is to find a "donor" wrecked 996/997 4s for that, or any 986/987/996/997 - & all with the IMS fix done.

I think that the first chase car Vanagons used for the 959 Dakkar Races etc. may have been either Synchros or Porsche AWD, but it's been awhile since I read the articles about them & how they led to the B32.

Another Vano-6 to look at was the Oettenger -6 aftermarket conversion of the 1980's, which was the result of a joint VW-Porsche-Oettenger study on how VW could make the Vans more competitive with the V6 Dodge/Chryslers etc. of the time - & Porsche said put a H6 in it, & Oettenger/VW essentially a 2 cyl. add on to the 1.9L & then 2.1L VW waterboxer. There is also UTube & other info online for the Oettenger conversions, which oddly enough were about 70,000 DM on top of the Van too - so the B32 sounds like a bargain!

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=115681

I think the Subie H6 is the most cost effective conversion for more power & TQ, as compared to finding either a newer Porsche H6 or older Oettenger kit.

I don't know if the Subie AWD will stand up to the additional weight of the Vanagon/Westy, but would hope so - & the VW Synchro should too AFAIK.

Mark Henry &/or some others may know better on that detail & reliability question.

I say, why not spread out the traction & handling to 4WD or AWD to make the "brick on wheels" handle better on wet, snow, ice & dry pavement! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
Maltese Falcon
post Feb 19 2015, 12:37 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,755

We put about 25 of these Carrera powered Vanagons into service with our MSDS conversion kits, from 1990-2000.
This is my '86 awd Syncro, complete with dual zone AC, heat, power steering and diff-lock.
Marty
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
914forme
post Feb 19 2015, 12:01 PM
Post #19

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

Marty,

You still have the Dual Cab Syncro around, that was my favorite conversion of yours. I need to get a Dual cab, replace my Chevy pickup. I would post likely do a SVX, as I have a few of them around right now. AWD is the Easy part.
+Quote Post
OU8AVW
post Feb 19 2015, 12:27 PM
Post #20

Yacht Rigger

Member No.: 9,601
Region Association: Southwest Region

Looking into a 2.5 Suby conversion now. Thanks for all the info!

Attached Image
+Quote Post

17 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:53 PM