Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Subaru Engine Swap, It is now the 1971 Ivory Car
AndyB
post Feb 27 2015, 12:39 PM
Post #1

The Governor is watching me

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,595
Region Association: North East States

So I am finally doing the Subaru drive train conversion. I picked up my donor car from a salvage auction for $200.00. Yes the entire car and yes it does drive and run. With that being said I am still looking to those more knowledgable in the Subaru arena. The car is a 2002 Impreza Outback Sport. It has a 2.5l in it and over 200k on the odometer. My plan is to tear the engine down and rebuild it a little more then stock. I have no intentions of dropping in a turbo, that's for another one. Who are some reliable sources for performance parts other then all the usuall Subaru upgrades that would be done on a Subaru. I am concerned about the cooling aspect of the engine. I would like to know what people are using for radiators. Thanks.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
CptTripps
post Feb 27 2015, 01:19 PM
Post #2

:: Punch and Pie ::

Member No.: 3,342
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Oh man....there are no shortage of options here. The cooling is essentially the same as any other radiator setup like the SB350 guys are doing. LOADS of options there.

coldwater914.com for all the engine mounting bits. Save yourself the headache of fabricating your own. (Unless you were looking forward to that part.)
+Quote Post
AndyB
post Feb 27 2015, 02:45 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(CptTripps @ Feb 27 2015, 02:19 PM) *

Oh man....there are no shortage of options here. The cooling is essentially the same as any other radiator setup like the SB350 guys are doing. LOADS of options there.

coldwater914.com for all the engine mounting bits. Save yourself the headache of fabricating your own. (Unless you were looking forward to that part.)

Cpt. I have no intention of massive fabrication. Ian at cold water has my list. My only concern is what others are using as their cooling system. But what I am really looking for is those with experiance on a N/A 2.5 l for guidance. Anyone can throw a bunch of parts together, but making them into something street friendly and not stock are two different things.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Feb 27 2015, 03:12 PM
Post #4

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Scarlet75 @ Feb 27 2015, 03:45 PM) *

QUOTE(CptTripps @ Feb 27 2015, 02:19 PM) *

Cpt. I have no intention of massive fabrication. Ian at cold water has my list. My only concern is what others are using as their cooling system. But what I am really looking for is those with experiance on a N/A 2.5 l for guidance. Anyone can throw a bunch of parts together, but making them into something street friendly and not stock are two different things.

I have no fabrication skills. I'm buying the radiator kit from renegade hybrids. I understand it's a bolt in solution with some cutting for air to enter and exit. It's about a grand. Not the cheapest solution but probably the best for my needs - eg33 swap
+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Feb 27 2015, 03:21 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,527
Region Association: South East States

Not to hijack, but before you order the one from Renegade, ask Chads74 about his Renegade radiator experience. For $1,000 you get a radiator that leaks within 3 months after installation and they refuse to repair it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)
+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Feb 27 2015, 06:19 PM
Post #6

14's in the 13's with ATTITUDE

Member No.: 2,618
Region Association: Northern California

Huh. Mine's been in there for eight years now without any problems, though they've probably changed a lot of things in that long a time. I think the only significant advantage of their kit is the shrouding that's been worked out pretty well. It's a thousand bucks, though, and that's quite a lot for shrouding.

+Quote Post
AndyB
post Feb 27 2015, 06:58 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(DBCooper @ Feb 27 2015, 07:19 PM) *

Huh. Mine's been in there for eight years now without any problems, though they've probably changed a lot of things in that long a time. I think the only significant advantage of their kit is the shrouding that's been worked out pretty well. It's a thousand bucks, though, and that's quite a lot for shrouding.

Personally I am a fan of Ruby914's shroud. Now there is a person with skills.
+Quote Post
AndyB
post Feb 27 2015, 07:05 PM
Post #8

QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Feb 27 2015, 04:21 PM) *

Not to hijack, but before you order the one from Renegade, ask Chads74 about his Renegade radiator experience. For $1,000 you get a radiator that leaks within 3 months after installation and they refuse to repair it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

No worries George. I am not a big fan of them in general. But if they do have something that I need then yes I will order from them but a $1000 radiator is not on my short or long list
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Feb 27 2015, 07:08 PM
Post #9

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496
Region Association: None

Most likely you could use the radiator from the donor car and build a shroud. Anything is possible. The Scirocco radiator is small and aluminum units are very efficient.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)
+Quote Post
AndyB
post Feb 27 2015, 07:10 PM
Post #10

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Feb 27 2015, 08:08 PM) *

Most likely you could use the radiator from the donor car and build a shroud. Anything is possible. The Scirocco radiator is small and aluminum units are very efficient.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)

I knew you would weigh in Mike thanks. And are we talking origional scirocco?
+Quote Post
AndyB
post Feb 27 2015, 07:12 PM
Post #11

QUOTE(DBCooper @ Feb 27 2015, 07:19 PM) *

DB are you running a turbo?
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Feb 27 2015, 07:30 PM
Post #12

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Scarlet75 @ Feb 27 2015, 05:10 PM) *

No. I'm talking about a "Scirocco" radiator like you would find at Summit Racing or Jegs. They are about the smallest unit on the market and would be great for a modest Subi. The key in any radiator is controlling air flow.
+Quote Post
JRust
post Feb 27 2015, 07:32 PM
Post #13

914 Guru

Member No.: 129
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

The nice thing with a NA suby is they are easy to cool. I would use the one in the car to start. Bob had one for sale int he classifieds that was perfect. Didn't have the shrouding but you can do they pretty easy. I have a renegade setup in my old v8 car. I had zero problems with it.
+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Feb 27 2015, 07:37 PM
Post #14

14's in the 13's with ATTITUDE

Member No.: 2,618
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Scarlet75 @ Feb 27 2015, 05:12 PM) *

DB are you running a turbo?

Yes. When I bought that radiator the intention was to put in a SBC, but then changed to Subaru mid-process. It's way more than enough cooling, gotta give it that.

+Quote Post
76-914
post Feb 27 2015, 09:29 PM
Post #15

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

George, if his radiator leaked at 90 days then he needs to check the voltage in his coolant and be sure he has a ground strap on the tranny. That or a terrible mismatch of materials in his system. Opps, back on subject; Plus one on the Sirocco radiator. $60 bucks shipped on Ebay. Add a set of Dodge fans for another $60. Looking forward to another conversion thread. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
AndyB
post Feb 28 2015, 06:54 AM
Post #16

QUOTE(76-914 @ Feb 27 2015, 10:29 PM) *

George, if his radiator leaked at 90 days then he needs to check the voltage in his coolant and be sure he has a ground strap on the tranny. That or a terrible mismatch of materials in his system. Opps, back on subject; Plus one on the Sirocco radiator. $60 bucks shipped on Ebay. Add a set of Dodge fans for another $60. Looking forward to another conversion thread. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Which Dodge fans? Thanks
+Quote Post
AndyB
post Feb 28 2015, 06:55 AM
Post #17

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Feb 27 2015, 08:30 PM) *

QUOTE(Scarlet75 @ Feb 27 2015, 05:10 PM) *

No. I'm talking about a "Scirocco" radiator like you would find at Summit Racing or Jegs. They are about the smallest unit on the market and would be great for a modest Subi. The key in any radiator is controlling air flow.

Mike thanks for the clarification.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Feb 28 2015, 10:29 AM
Post #18

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Scarlet75 @ Feb 28 2015, 04:54 AM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ Feb 27 2015, 10:29 PM) *

Which Dodge fans? Thanks

2003 Dodge 300M or Intrepid
Sirocco Radiators 1985-1992
+Quote Post
AndyB
post Mar 11 2015, 04:50 PM
Post #19

So like many things this has now turned into a since I am doing this anyway project. The car will be stripped down to its chassis and be redone. The final color is not determined yet, however it will be in the red family. So these showed up this morning at my door step. The guy left them there as I was getting ready to open the garage door to say something. Funny the tag says inspect before accepting (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Attached Image

Best part is my wife wanted me to get those flares. And so the saga begins. I have no deadlines for this car so its going to be a while.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Mar 11 2015, 04:58 PM
Post #20

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

What car is getting the work done? Pics?
+Quote Post

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 02:03 AM