Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Subaru Engine Swap
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
AndyB
So I am finally doing the Subaru drive train conversion. I picked up my donor car from a salvage auction for $200.00. Yes the entire car and yes it does drive and run. With that being said I am still looking to those more knowledgable in the Subaru arena. The car is a 2002 Impreza Outback Sport. It has a 2.5l in it and over 200k on the odometer. My plan is to tear the engine down and rebuild it a little more then stock. I have no intentions of dropping in a turbo, that's for another one. Who are some reliable sources for performance parts other then all the usuall Subaru upgrades that would be done on a Subaru. I am concerned about the cooling aspect of the engine. I would like to know what people are using for radiators. Thanks.
CptTripps
Oh man....there are no shortage of options here. The cooling is essentially the same as any other radiator setup like the SB350 guys are doing. LOADS of options there.

coldwater914.com for all the engine mounting bits. Save yourself the headache of fabricating your own. (Unless you were looking forward to that part.)
AndyB
QUOTE(CptTripps @ Feb 27 2015, 02:19 PM) *

Oh man....there are no shortage of options here. The cooling is essentially the same as any other radiator setup like the SB350 guys are doing. LOADS of options there.

coldwater914.com for all the engine mounting bits. Save yourself the headache of fabricating your own. (Unless you were looking forward to that part.)

Cpt. I have no intention of massive fabrication. Ian at cold water has my list. My only concern is what others are using as their cooling system. But what I am really looking for is those with experiance on a N/A 2.5 l for guidance. Anyone can throw a bunch of parts together, but making them into something street friendly and not stock are two different things.
mepstein
QUOTE(Scarlet75 @ Feb 27 2015, 03:45 PM) *

QUOTE(CptTripps @ Feb 27 2015, 02:19 PM) *

Cpt. I have no intention of massive fabrication. Ian at cold water has my list. My only concern is what others are using as their cooling system. But what I am really looking for is those with experiance on a N/A 2.5 l for guidance. Anyone can throw a bunch of parts together, but making them into something street friendly and not stock are two different things.

I have no fabrication skills. I'm buying the radiator kit from renegade hybrids. I understand it's a bolt in solution with some cutting for air to enter and exit. It's about a grand. Not the cheapest solution but probably the best for my needs - eg33 swap
ThePaintedMan
Not to hijack, but before you order the one from Renegade, ask Chads74 about his Renegade radiator experience. For $1,000 you get a radiator that leaks within 3 months after installation and they refuse to repair it. mad.gif
DBCooper
Huh. Mine's been in there for eight years now without any problems, though they've probably changed a lot of things in that long a time. I think the only significant advantage of their kit is the shrouding that's been worked out pretty well. It's a thousand bucks, though, and that's quite a lot for shrouding.

AndyB
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Feb 27 2015, 07:19 PM) *

Huh. Mine's been in there for eight years now without any problems, though they've probably changed a lot of things in that long a time. I think the only significant advantage of their kit is the shrouding that's been worked out pretty well. It's a thousand bucks, though, and that's quite a lot for shrouding.

Personally I am a fan of Ruby914's shroud. Now there is a person with skills.
AndyB
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Feb 27 2015, 04:21 PM) *

Not to hijack, but before you order the one from Renegade, ask Chads74 about his Renegade radiator experience. For $1,000 you get a radiator that leaks within 3 months after installation and they refuse to repair it. mad.gif

No worries George. I am not a big fan of them in general. But if they do have something that I need then yes I will order from them but a $1000 radiator is not on my short or long list
Mike Bellis
Most likely you could use the radiator from the donor car and build a shroud. Anything is possible. The Scirocco radiator is small and aluminum units are very efficient.

sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif
AndyB
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Feb 27 2015, 08:08 PM) *

Most likely you could use the radiator from the donor car and build a shroud. Anything is possible. The Scirocco radiator is small and aluminum units are very efficient.

sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif

I knew you would weigh in Mike thanks. And are we talking origional scirocco?
AndyB
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Feb 27 2015, 07:19 PM) *

DB are you running a turbo?
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Scarlet75 @ Feb 27 2015, 05:10 PM) *

No. I'm talking about a "Scirocco" radiator like you would find at Summit Racing or Jegs. They are about the smallest unit on the market and would be great for a modest Subi. The key in any radiator is controlling air flow.
JRust
The nice thing with a NA suby is they are easy to cool. I would use the one in the car to start. Bob had one for sale int he classifieds that was perfect. Didn't have the shrouding but you can do they pretty easy. I have a renegade setup in my old v8 car. I had zero problems with it.
DBCooper
QUOTE(Scarlet75 @ Feb 27 2015, 05:12 PM) *

DB are you running a turbo?

Yes. When I bought that radiator the intention was to put in a SBC, but then changed to Subaru mid-process. It's way more than enough cooling, gotta give it that.

76-914
George, if his radiator leaked at 90 days then he needs to check the voltage in his coolant and be sure he has a ground strap on the tranny. That or a terrible mismatch of materials in his system. Opps, back on subject; Plus one on the Sirocco radiator. $60 bucks shipped on Ebay. Add a set of Dodge fans for another $60. Looking forward to another conversion thread. beerchug.gif
AndyB
QUOTE(76-914 @ Feb 27 2015, 10:29 PM) *

George, if his radiator leaked at 90 days then he needs to check the voltage in his coolant and be sure he has a ground strap on the tranny. That or a terrible mismatch of materials in his system. Opps, back on subject; Plus one on the Sirocco radiator. $60 bucks shipped on Ebay. Add a set of Dodge fans for another $60. Looking forward to another conversion thread. beerchug.gif

Which Dodge fans? Thanks
AndyB
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Feb 27 2015, 08:30 PM) *

QUOTE(Scarlet75 @ Feb 27 2015, 05:10 PM) *

No. I'm talking about a "Scirocco" radiator like you would find at Summit Racing or Jegs. They are about the smallest unit on the market and would be great for a modest Subi. The key in any radiator is controlling air flow.

Mike thanks for the clarification.
76-914
QUOTE(Scarlet75 @ Feb 28 2015, 04:54 AM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ Feb 27 2015, 10:29 PM) *

Which Dodge fans? Thanks

2003 Dodge 300M or Intrepid
Sirocco Radiators 1985-1992
AndyB
So like many things this has now turned into a since I am doing this anyway project. The car will be stripped down to its chassis and be redone. The final color is not determined yet, however it will be in the red family. So these showed up this morning at my door step. The guy left them there as I was getting ready to open the garage door to say something. Funny the tag says inspect before accepting dry.gif

Click to view attachment

Best part is my wife wanted me to get those flares. And so the saga begins. I have no deadlines for this car so its going to be a while.
mepstein
What car is getting the work done? Pics?
AndyB
Sorry about that. Its Scarlet, she has been a noble steed so she will get a make over.

mepstein
I'm surprised. I thought you had a strong running engine in that car
AndyB
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 11 2015, 07:22 PM) *

I'm surprised. I thought you had a strong running engine in that car

I did it was an incredible engine. However after finally getting rid of my brothers belongs (deceased), it was mid January this year when she went from 0-7500 by the time I turned the key off. Oh yeah it was also about 10 degrees outside, when the throttle cable stuck was wide open. icon8.gif hissyfit.gif And my loving wife heard it and said what was that? I said Scarlets engine is no more its broken. She looked me straight in the eye and said oh its only an engine WTF.gif She, the engine will have a new home once its dissected as to what happened.

Andy
AndyB
I already have the wheels which are 17 x 8's Porsche Boxster Rims from flea bay. So of course there was a group buy next thing you know there is a 5 lug kit sitting at my door step. Oh yes my wife knew. She seems less pissed when I tell her what I am doing in our speak which baffles her and she says do you need it and of course we know the answer to that one, and she says ok, I am ordering flowers dry.gif
mepstein
I know Ian at coldwater is really busy right now but I think he needs to consider a radiator and shroud solution. He's really come through with all the other conversion parts and this is kit we all need.
AndyB
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 11 2015, 10:18 PM) *

I know Ian at coldwater is really busy right now but I think he needs to consider a radiator and shroud solution. He's really come through with all the other conversion parts and this is kit we all need.

True but then you may be limited to what you can get for a motor.
R_u_dd
Did your donor come with a 5mt tranny?
AndyB
Yes I searched through what seemed like a thousand cars but I did find a 5 MT. All the wire will be swapped out and replaced.

Andy
R_u_dd
QUOTE(AndyB @ Mar 12 2015, 07:29 AM) *

Yes I searched through what seemed like a thousand cars but I did find a 5 MT. All the wire will be swapped out and replaced.

Andy

So, you are going to use the Subaru wiring harness and ECU and pull out the 914 wiring.
I was wondering if you could keep your 914 wiring and swap in a megasquirt ecu and if it would be easier.
AndyB
I am going to run the Subaru instruments on my car. So if the brain thinks its a Subaru, all the better.

Amenson
QUOTE(AndyB @ Mar 12 2015, 11:29 AM) *

I am going to run the Subaru instruments on my car. So if the brain thinks its a Subaru, all the better.

I did this and really enjoy the results but it was a massive amount of work. If I were to build another I would strip out the suby engine ecu and power it from the 914 wiring or go megasquirt and use one of the the gauge options from it.
R_u_dd
QUOTE(Amenson @ Mar 12 2015, 12:55 PM) *

QUOTE(AndyB @ Mar 12 2015, 11:29 AM) *

I did this and really enjoy the results but it was a massive amount of work. If I were to build another I would strip out the suby engine ecu and power it from the 914 wiring or go megasquirt and use one of the the gauge options from it.

Yes, this is what I am thinking as well. Any good threads on this concept?
rnellums
I wanted to keep the stock gauges on my car, just upgraded them and am really pleased with how it turned out! Gauges turn red as a shift light, when the gas is low, and when the headlights are left on!
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
AndyB
How did you do that? Those are incredible.
AndyB
So I am still in the tear down phase of the rebuild. If you have seen one then you have seen them all. While having my morning flea bay browsing session I put a bid in on a Subaru turbo. I won it so now the question becomes, do I turbo this 2.5 liter? aktion035.gif aktion035.gif
rpg5553
My radiator and ECU option

I picked up a complete radiator, fans, shroud etc. from an 95 Subaru Impreza.
Fits right in the front with only the cut for air intake. Used the rubber mounts also from the Impreza. Added a piece of sheet metal between the headlights for flow
to radiator. Mine was an A/C car so had the cut for the condensor which i use for
exiting air flow. Benefit also is same size radiator hose for both engine and radiator. Think I paid around $60 for it all at Pull A Part.

Been running a Suby WRX turbo motor for five years with this setup in the hot
Georgia sun with no problems. Fans have never kicked on or any temperature issues.

Also made my own wiring harness which was a challenge. Took awhile to figure
that out but wanted to use the origial ECU which came with the motor. Wanted also to have a knock sensor as it was a JDM motor which requires higher octane.
I am retired so every day is a Saturday biggrin.gif

Hope this helps.
Ronnie G
AndyB
Do you have any pictures of your cooling set up? I am trying to figure out just where to mount mine.
rnellums
QUOTE(AndyB @ Mar 22 2015, 02:16 PM) *

How did you do that? Those are incredible.

Send a PM to Timothy_nd28. He and I worked through how to get this done, but it ends up being pretty simple.

He had to mod the tach to work off a 6-cyl pulse (yours may work as is). The speedo is a 150 mph electric unit out of a 911 SC (~$100). I bought a pulse modifier (speedohealer) that compensates for the pulse difference between the Subaru speed sensor and the 911 pickup - it wires up pretty easily. I kept the stock fuel pump gauge.

On the temp gauge Tim just installed an aftermarket sender where the brake light usually goes. He said he wasn't happy with the results (I think it looks great!) so you may have to beg him a bit to do that one.

Then I had him do his LED conversion on the gauges as well, they are one of my favorite things about the car now, well worth the money IMO.

QUOTE(AndyB @ Mar 22 2015, 05:53 PM) *

Do you have any pictures of your cooling set up? I am trying to figure out just where to mount mine.

I mounted my radiator flat to the trunk floor because I wanted to keep the front trunk space. The cooling is adequate for autocross, around town in traffic and highway use, but when I drive it hard at the track I really have to pull it in and let it cool down after ~15 minutes of hard driving.
AndyB
Ok to the water cooled 914 crowd, can you please show pictures of your cooling set up, so that I can get some ideas. I am not opposed to venting out the hood like Bob did with Papa Smurf. Thanks for the continued observations and guidance. Oh before I forget I need to talk stand alone ECU since the stock ECU won't work with the turbo. Again thanks for the help.
AndyB
QUOTE(rpg5553 @ Mar 22 2015, 05:14 PM) *

My radiator and ECU option

I picked up a complete radiator, fans, shroud etc. from an 95 Subaru Impreza.
Fits right in the front with only the cut for air intake. Used the rubber mounts also from the Impreza. Added a piece of sheet metal between the headlights for flow
to radiator. Mine was an A/C car so had the cut for the condensor which i use for
exiting air flow. Benefit also is same size radiator hose for both engine and radiator. Think I paid around $60 for it all at Pull A Part.

Been running a Suby WRX turbo motor for five years with this setup in the hot
Georgia sun with no problems. Fans have never kicked on or any temperature issues.

Also made my own wiring harness which was a challenge. Took awhile to figure
that out but wanted to use the origial ECU which came with the motor. Wanted also to have a knock sensor as it was a JDM motor which requires higher octane.
I am retired so every day is a Saturday biggrin.gif

Hope this helps.
Ronnie G

Ronnie thanks for emailing me those pictures.

Andy
mgp4591
Not meaning to gripe too hard, but not fair! The rest of us want to know too... shades.gif
AndyB
I wont disagree with you, however Ronnie G is the only one that responded. I sent out some pm's asking if they could post their set up, but no takers. So Ronnie emailed them and I thank him for that.
ruby914
Hi Andy,
Something I have been thinking of for a long time is to move my coolant lines from under the car to under the rocker cover. The thought is to drill a 1.5 ~ 1.7 hole thru to the inside. See photo. I am not sure how large of a hole I can get away with before I hit the heater tube? Anyone have a dissected long? Then the hole would have to be filled with a tube welded onside and out.
76-914
QUOTE(AndyB @ Mar 23 2015, 08:55 AM) *

Ok to the water cooled 914 crowd, can you please show pictures of your cooling set up, so that I can get some ideas. I am not opposed to venting out the hood like Bob did with Papa Smurf. Thanks for the continued observations and guidance. Oh before I forget I need to talk stand alone ECU since the stock ECU won't work with the turbo. Again thanks for the help.

Look thru the suby build threads here. We've all done it differently. It will take a few hours to peruse this info but I would suggest you do so. Look at everyone else's ideas then form your own. It's how we improve/mutate dry.gif . I was told you shouldn't run the lines thru the longs. That it would make the cabin hot. Horse Shit Sailor. Can not pick up any discernible heat even when I touch the longs.
914forme
QUOTE(rnellums @ Mar 12 2015, 09:54 PM) *

Yep I love this idea, I would also like to add low Oil pressure, I seem to have that issue at times. chair.gif

BTW, if you don't want to mess with gauges Speedhut makes some good options with out the bling from above. I'll go back to lurking now.....
mgp4591
I was wondering if all the twists and turns in the coolant hoses for the different builds have affected the head pressure on the stock water pump making it work harder and maybe less efficient? If the hoses are run with fewer directional changes is that going to help some cooling issues? You still want a high point where you fill it and bleed your system and there are several options for that location. That being said, the center console on my car is rotted in some places over an inch off my equally rotted floor so I'm installing a section of rectangular tubing in place of the main console section that I plan to run my hoses through then weld my remaining section of unmolested console on top of. Should give me a straighter path for coolant flow and if properly insulated should work well for my purposes. Still plan on the brake lines and throttle cable through the remaining console section, shift cable too for the automatic. (GASP!)
Thoughts?
Chris H.
You're thinking about doing an automatic trans? Not the Subaru AWD auto from the SVX right? It's too long and weighs a TON. The gearing is also very poorly matched to the engine. You'd probably want to find a 2WD Subie trans (pre-1997ish).
mgp4591
I've already pulled the tail section from a 2wd 4EAT trans and bolted it on- it makes the trans about 6 to 8" shorter and looks like it will fit. The gearing for that trans in the SVX (3:55) was poorly matched to the AWD setup with a 3700 lb curb weight. That's about the only thing that made those fail prematurely- they're used in Nissan Pathfinders all the time with little issue, but they are geared properly for the weight of that vehicle. With only 2300 lbs to drive, I think it should work just fine even tho it'll be a tad tail heavy but in weight proportionate compared to some other mid engined cars. I eventually want to go with a manual trans but without the 4:88 final drive which limits the top speed to about 120. It's not so much the top speed I'm looking for- it's the low cruising rpm and resultant mileage I'm looking for. Well okay. the top speed would be cool too but not until the chassis and brakes are fully sorted. I also have the piggyback TCU that changes the shift points for better performance. With the overall weight of my car, the engine power and the gearing the car should jump and roll pretty well... I think. idea.gif
mgp4591
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Apr 3 2015, 10:22 PM) *

You're thinking about doing an automatic trans? Not the Subaru AWD auto from the SVX right? It's too long and weighs a TON. The gearing is also very poorly matched to the engine. You'd probably want to find a 2WD Subie trans (pre-1997ish).

And it looks like all 2WD automatics from 92 on in all Subarus were 4EATs. I pulled my 2WD tail section from a 93 Impreza- it bolted right on to the SVX trans along with the internal shaft, gear and bearing that eliminates the electromagnetic AWD assembly. It was a high point of my day when I found the part and it fit, all for 40 bucks!
rnellums
QUOTE(914forme @ Apr 3 2015, 05:38 PM) *

QUOTE(rnellums @ Mar 12 2015, 09:54 PM) *

Yep I love this idea, I would also like to add low Oil pressure, I seem to have that issue at times. chair.gif

BTW, if you don't want to mess with gauges Speedhut makes some good options with out the bling from above. I'll go back to lurking now.....

The way timothy's gauges are set up you could wire it into the oil pressure light instead of the fuel low light and it would turn red when oil pressure dropped enough to light the lamp!

I think Cost-wise my setup ends up being $2-300 less than speedhut gauges (depending on how much you spend for the 911 speedo).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.