Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Subaru Engine Swap
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Chris H.
QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Apr 3 2015, 11:46 PM) *

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Apr 3 2015, 10:22 PM) *

You're thinking about doing an automatic trans? Not the Subaru AWD auto from the SVX right? It's too long and weighs a TON. The gearing is also very poorly matched to the engine. You'd probably want to find a 2WD Subie trans (pre-1997ish).

And it looks like all 2WD automatics from 92 on in all Subarus were 4EATs. I pulled my 2WD tail section from a 93 Impreza- it bolted right on to the SVX trans along with the internal shaft, gear and bearing that eliminates the electromagnetic AWD assembly. It was a high point of my day when I found the part and it fit, all for 40 bucks!

VERY interesting. Thanks for the info! I was planning an automatic myself at first. I've stopped a few people from saying "I'll make it fit" and "I'll live with the weight", but it's a lot more than that as you have learned. Sounds like you have it all figured out. Nice work. Never thought of using the SVX trans shell and stuffing new internals in it.

The 4EAT was definitely the trans used for all applications until ~2003 when they switched to a 5 speed auto. Work horse. Ford used it too. It's still made today. The 5 speed auto is a very complicated beast BTW that has too much electronic wizardry to convert to 2WD. The computer moves the power around to each wheel pretty regularly so Ian and I figured it might not work at all, or would get weird when the tires slipped because it would try to send power to a wheel that was not there. Plus it's even LONGER.

You gotta update your thread man! poke.gif

Andy,

On radiators, Bob (BIGKAT) had a very nice fluidyne radiator in his car that was extremely compact. Seemed like it was about 10" high. We drove it quite spiritedly for a while and the needle never moved at all. Very nice rad. I agree with Kent though, look at everyone's and then do your own based on the ideas you get. Although pricey, it's been said many times that the Renegade kit is proven and will definitely work, so if you just don't want to deal with the fabrication you could go that way.

FYI I have speedhut gauges and really like them, but also sort of miss my stock ones. I picked the speedhut ones because I had a few problems:

- converting to 6
- needed a way to get speedo signal
- wanted a quad gauge

I was convinced I wanted a GPS speedo so rationalized the cost of the speedhut speedo easily and it was all downhill from there. Since you don't have to convert your tach signal from 4 to 6 the cost of staying with stock gauges is much lower for you.
mgp4591
Thanks for the kind words but I am FAR from having it all figured out! Just did a little checking around and got lucky I guess. So far as updating my thread, I'm embarrassed to show what I've done. Mainly just BIG holes where my floor used to be and trying to think 4 moves ahead of where the car puts me. Basically, most of it's still in my head but I'm finishing up my trailing arms with Erics' bushings, painting them up and waiting for my new Bilsteins to show up at his shop. Probably Monday he sez. It just doesn't look real pretty right now so when some REAL work gets done, I'll show something. Like everything else in everyones life, it takes so much longer than originally planned. Except for some superhumans here on this forum...!
How's your build coming along? You've hooked me up with some great ideas as well as all the rest of these Suborcshe nutjobs!
Chris H.
I'm on phase 2, which means the engine comes back out. Currently building an engine stand/holder for it so it will roll out from under the car easily.

Projects:

1. reseal oil pump where there is a tiny leak
2. flip the intake manifold
3. pretty up the wiring
4. reposition my shifter (copying roachghia70's)
5. install new rad fans
6. Install new fan control switch

My trans also whines a bit more than it should when you take your foot off the gas and the car begins to coast (and I think it has plenty of fluid in it). Have to pick up another one from Bob.

BTW Andy, Bob had an extra radiator a while back IIRC...you might want to check with him.
AndyB
Yeah I would of used the original but the deer had other ideas.
AndyB
QUOTE(ruby914 @ Mar 31 2015, 03:04 PM) *

Hi Andy,
Something I have been thinking of for a long time is to move my coolant lines from under the car to under the rocker cover. The thought is to drill a 1.5 ~ 1.7 hole thru to the inside. See photo. I am not sure how large of a hole I can get away with before I hit the heater tube? Anyone have a dissected long? Then the hole would have to be filled with a tube welded onside and out.

Thanks for your input. I already plan on running mine through the longs.
AndyB
Ok so much has happened since my last post. I went back and forth on which car to upgrade. After talking with my wife and porschef I ended up choosing the white 1971. I didn't take pictures of what it looked like before I started. It will still be ivory as that's it's original color. Here she is with the 1.7 on the garage floor.

Click to view attachment
AndyB
The passenger long
Click to view attachment

Drivers long
Click to view attachment
AndyB
Last time it was on the road.
Click to view attachment
AndyB
Don't do it Mark dry.gif
76-914
This is donor car or your Suby conversion car?
AndyB
This would be the conversion car. It was a tough choice to make. The donor car is not as bad as she looks. The fenders were cut for several reasons the first and most important one is the ease of removing old metal and replacing it with new metal.

Andy
AndyB
So lots of progress today. She still isn't on the rotisserie yet but that won't be very long at all. I dropped the rear trailing arms and was thrilled that I didn't break any of the bolts. Yes it has happened before and it sucks. No pictures until Friday sorry. I have other commitments but hey you may see some dealing in action. Or at least some more parts.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.