Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Introduction
Dave_Darling
post Mar 5 2015, 03:27 PM
Post #21

914 Idiot

Group: Members
Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(maddin @ Mar 5 2015, 11:22 AM) *

Hey Dave,it's a 72. Tim was the guys name who owned and converted it...do you know when that was?

Hmmm.... I thought this was "Seven", one of the cars that Bradholio converted back in the long-ago days before the forum split. The guy he sold it to machined the covers for the Riviera wheels.

I could be confusing cars, though?

The original story of Seven was that B got ahold of a 1.7 liter 914, and set out to prove just how inexpensively a half-decent conversion could be done. The name either referred to how many days it took him, or the budget in thousands of $$. He did some masterful scrounging and bargain hunting. The engine came out of a wrecked 914-6, complete with carbs (I don't remember if there were exchangers or not) for something like $1500, among other things.

Hey, fellow old-timers, am I completely confused here?

--DD
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
maddin
post Mar 5 2015, 03:35 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 16,789
Region Association: Australia and New Zealand

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Mar 6 2015, 08:27 AM) *

Hey Dave,it's a 72. Tim was the guys name who owned and converted it...do you know when that was?

Hmmm.... I thought this was "Seven", one of the cars that Bradholio converted back in the long-ago days before the forum split. The guy he sold it to machined the covers for the Riviera wheels.

The original story of Seven was that B got ahold of a 1.7 liter 914, and set out to prove just how inexpensively a half-decent conversion could be done. The name either referred to how many days it took him, or the budget in thousands of $$. He did some masterful scrounging and bargain hunting. The engine came out of a wrecked 914-6, complete with carbs (I don't remember if there were exchangers or not) for something like $1500, among other things.

--DD

Tim's 914

As far as i know (the info Bill had on the ebay ad) this is the previous owner who did the engine conversion and a lot of the mods on the car....must be a different one.

I started taking the interior out to get a better look at the floor pans and to clean everything (did i mention it was covered in mould? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif) )
I'm absolutely amazed in what good condition the car is! So happy with the purchase! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
I want to (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) it so bad!

+Quote Post
billh1963
post Mar 5 2015, 03:51 PM
Post #23

Car Hoarder!

Member No.: 12,871
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Mar 5 2015, 04:27 PM) *

--DD

The engine in this car was from a '65 911. I sold the engine and sold the roller to maddin.
+Quote Post
bigkensteele
post Mar 5 2015, 06:33 PM
Post #24

Major Member

Member No.: 2,660

Those centers really make the Rivieras look great! Would it be possible to post a picture of the back of one of the centers? I am curious how they are attached to the ball studs that are shown in Tim's photos. What material did he machine them from?

Oh yeah,
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
+Quote Post
Cuda911
post Mar 5 2015, 06:52 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 17,376
Region Association: Southern California

Great looking car, congrats!!!
+Quote Post
maddin
post Mar 5 2015, 07:06 PM
Post #26

QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Mar 6 2015, 11:33 AM) *

Those centers really make the Rivieras look great! Would it be possible to post a picture of the back of one of the centers? I am curious how they are attached to the ball studs that are shown in Tim's photos. What material did he machine them from?

Oh yeah,

I'll take a picture for you in the next couple of days..appears to be some sort of plastic,very light.
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Mar 5 2015, 07:45 PM
Post #27

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121

I did a little digging, and I'm now pretty sure that I was confusing two different cars. Sorry!!!

I have seen yours before when Tim owned it; I remember the Rivs and the center caps when they were silver. It was at a San Rafael swap meet quite a while ago.

--DD
+Quote Post
maddin
post Mar 6 2015, 02:15 AM
Post #28

QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Mar 6 2015, 11:33 AM) *

Oh yeah,

there you go :-)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
dlkawashima
post Mar 6 2015, 04:19 AM
Post #29

914 Guru

Member No.: 12,234

This is Tim's original for sale ad. Some additional info in the ad ...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=209548

I've seen the car many times and was tempted to buy it when Tim put it up for sale. It's a little mind boggling to know it's half way around the world now, but I'm glad to see it's gone to a good home. Definitely keep us up to date on the progress you make on the car.
+Quote Post
maddin
post Mar 6 2015, 06:08 AM
Post #30

QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Mar 6 2015, 09:19 PM) *

This is Tim's original for sale ad. Some additional info in the ad ...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=209548

I've seen the car many times and was tempted to buy it when Tim put it up for sale. It's a little mind boggling to know it's half way around the world now, but I'm glad to see it's gone to a good home. Definitely keep us up to date on the progress you make on the car.

Thanks for the link! You bet it's in good hands and that's where it will stay for a long time!
Can't wait to give the car some attention and tackle the little bits and bobs that i noticed need fixing. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
maddin
post Feb 22 2022, 04:07 AM
Post #31

Hey look...7 years ago!!!...it's still not on the road but currently getting prepared for the VASS engineers report which is a requirement to get the car on historic plates.
Wish me luck..
I never thought it would take that long to get it sorted but what a ride it has been so far!
I had long periods of nothingness followed by the birth of my son in 2017 which resulted in more nothingness on the 914 front.Priorities change of course but i kept visiting the car in the garage every so often doing small jobs when time permitted and promising to finish the project one day.

To my surprise the engine turned out to be a 76' Carrera instead of a 78' SC,got it rebuilt and decided to put a Rasant kit on it and Ben McFarland's beautiful heat exchangers underneath.
Car is still 4 lug but the parts for 5 lug conversion are slowly coming together.
Lots of stuff from 914rubber has been added

After so many ups and downs,frustration,anger and all sorts of hurdles I'm cautiously optimistic ...will keep posting when things are happening!

+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Feb 22 2022, 07:33 AM
Post #32

Michael

Member No.: 9,712

With these cars persistence is the winner. Glad you are almost at the finish line. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
76-914
post Feb 22 2022, 08:27 AM
Post #33

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

Stay after it. You'll get there. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post Feb 22 2022, 11:00 AM
Post #34

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,231
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(maddin @ Feb 22 2022, 04:07 AM) *

Hey look...7 years ago!!!...it's still not on the road but currently getting prepared for the VASS engineers report which is a requirement to get the car on historic plates.
Wish me luck..
I never thought it would take that long to get it sorted but what a ride it has been so far!
I had long periods of nothingness followed by the birth of my son in 2017 which resulted in more nothingness on the 914 front.Priorities change of course but i kept visiting the car in the garage every so often doing small jobs when time permitted and promising to finish the project one day.

To my surprise the engine turned out to be a 76' Carrera instead of a 78' SC,got it rebuilt and decided to put a Rasant kit on it and Ben McFarland's beautiful heat exchangers underneath.
Car is still 4 lug but the parts for 5 lug conversion are slowly coming together.

After so many ups and downs,frustration,anger and all sorts of hurdles I'm cautiously optimistic ...will keep posting when things are happening!

VASS engineer report?
so you are in victoria?

i'm in melbourne.
with a 1.8 i have had for 30 odd years.

+Quote Post
maddin
post Feb 23 2022, 05:37 AM
Post #35

QUOTE(wonkipop @ Feb 23 2022, 04:00 AM) *

Wish me luck..

VASS engineer report?
so you are in victoria?

i'm in melbourne.

Hey ,yes in Victoria,Geelong.
There are at least 3 other 914's in Geelong that i know of.
Is yours on the road?

+Quote Post
wonkipop
post Feb 23 2022, 06:04 AM
Post #36

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,231
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(maddin @ Feb 23 2022, 05:37 AM) *

QUOTE(wonkipop @ Feb 23 2022, 04:00 AM) *

Wish me luck..

VASS engineer report?
so you are in victoria?

i'm in melbourne.

Hey ,yes in Victoria,Geelong.
There are at least 3 other 914's in Geelong that i know of.
Is yours on the road?

on the road.

you are not far away.
have to catch up?

interesting to hear of so many 914s hanging around in geelong.
never would have known.
they are out there.
+Quote Post
maddin
post Feb 23 2022, 06:27 AM
Post #37

Yes for sure! Catch up would be great!
The engineer contacted me today so things are happening!!
wish i could post a few pics..
+Quote Post
Betty
post Feb 23 2022, 06:41 PM
Post #38

Driver

Member No.: 3,255

O... M... G! I sense a 914World meetup in Australia in the near future?!?!?!

Pictures or it didn't happen! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

Oh, and the obligatory (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif)
+Quote Post
Maltese Falcon
post Feb 23 2022, 07:25 PM
Post #39

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,755
Region Association: None

Welcome Marty to the Party ! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
Australia is a BIG place, but you might see Luke's 914 out and about one day...he's MSDS equipped (IMG:style_emoticons/default/marty914.jpg)
Photo credit Luke M.
Attached Image
Marty
+Quote Post
Front yard mechanic
post Feb 23 2022, 07:47 PM
Post #40

Member No.: 18,984
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Feb 23 2022, 06:25 PM) *

Welcome Marty to the Party ! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
Australia is a BIG place, but you might see Luke's 914 out and about one day...he's MSDS equipped (IMG:style_emoticons/default/marty914.jpg)
Photo credit Luke M.
Attached Image
Marty

Saw this on tictoc wish I knew how to share pics the trunk stickers are cool
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th June 2024 - 02:01 PM