Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> what is my track
nine9three
post Mar 7 2015, 06:26 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,946
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I'm going to get some basic alignment at home and need to figure out my front and rear track. I have just converted to 5 lug with carrera struts, standard 911 hubs (no spacers), re-drilled 4 lug to 5 lug rear hubs and 16x6 (36 offset) Fuchs with 205/50/16's. Any other alignment specs for this setup would be greatly appreciated.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
messix
post Mar 7 2015, 06:40 PM
Post #2

AKA "CLUTCH KILLER"!

From: between shit kickers and pinky lifters/ puget sound wa.north of Seattle south of Canada
Member No.: 3,931

QUOTE(nine9three @ Mar 7 2015, 04:26 PM) *

I'm going to get some basic alignment at home and need to figure out my front and rear track. I have just converted to 5 lug with carrera struts, standard 911 hubs (no spacers), re-drilled 4 lug to 5 lug rear hubs and 16x6 (36 offset) Fuchs with 205/50/16's. Any other alignment specs for this setup would be greatly appreciated.

the exact track width will vary with how much camber and ride height you will have.

it kinda all changes with wear those are set
+Quote Post
screenguy914
post Mar 7 2015, 07:15 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 10,540
Region Association: Southern California

Take your pick. Depends on your equipment, your application and preferences:

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=914-6+alignment+specs
+Quote Post
wndsrfr
post Mar 7 2015, 07:37 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 10,318
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Hmmmm......not sure you need to know the track to do the alignment...here's what I do:
#1 Ha Ha....car must be off the jackstands...just a little humor...
-Car on flat & level rolled back & forth to settle suspension.
-Set boards or pipes front & rear crosswise on the aforementioned jackstands with top of boards at level of the center of your wheels.
-String fishing line down each side of car placed about 4-6 inches out from the wheels.
-Make sure they're exactly the same distance apart on each of the boards, like 82 inches both front and rear.
-Now jiggle them to get the same distance from the center of the hubs to each line. Front will be different than rear, but as along as fronts are equal and rears are equal, then they are parallel.
-Now measure your toe-in (or out) by measuring the distance from the rim to the line front and back of each wheel rim. For example to get 1/16 inch toe in on each side you might see 4 & 1/2 inches at the back of the rim and 4 & 7/16ths at the front.
-You can convert that 1/16 inch to degrees with geometry...depending on if you have 15 or 16 inch rims or whatever. Isn't it arctan of 1/16 divided by 15...yeah, that's .0042 radians which is 0.24 degrees.

Now, for camber, use a big carpenter's square or a nice piece of plywood that's square to do the same measurement top and bottom with the square set on the flat floor. (Or drop a plumb bob line from a board placed across the fenders--same-o same-o) To get about two degrees of camber on a 15 inch wheel you'll need to see just over 9/16 inches difference top to bottom (top distance more than bottom distance for negative camber). Make sense??
+Quote Post
nine9three
post Mar 8 2015, 12:16 AM
Post #5

QUOTE(wndsrfr @ Mar 7 2015, 05:37 PM) *

Hmmmm......not sure you need to know the track to do the alignment...here's what I do:
#1 Ha Ha....car must be off the jackstands...just a little humor...
-Car on flat & level rolled back & forth to settle suspension.
-Set boards or pipes front & rear crosswise on the aforementioned jackstands with top of boards at level of the center of your wheels.
-String fishing line down each side of car placed about 4-6 inches out from the wheels.
-Make sure they're exactly the same distance apart on each of the boards, like 82 inches both front and rear.
-Now jiggle them to get the same distance from the center of the hubs to each line. Front will be different than rear, but as along as fronts are equal and rears are equal, then they are parallel.
-Now measure your toe-in (or out) by measuring the distance from the rim to the line front and back of each wheel rim. For example to get 1/16 inch toe in on each side you might see 4 & 1/2 inches at the back of the rim and 4 & 7/16ths at the front.
-You can convert that 1/16 inch to degrees with geometry...depending on if you have 15 or 16 inch rims or whatever. Isn't it arctan of 1/16 divided by 15...yeah, that's .0042 radians which is 0.24 degrees.

Now, for camber, use a big carpenter's square or a nice piece of plywood that's square to do the same measurement top and bottom with the square set on the flat floor. (Or drop a plumb bob line from a board placed across the fenders--same-o same-o) To get about two degrees of camber on a 15 inch wheel you'll need to see just over 9/16 inches difference top to bottom (top distance more than bottom distance for negative camber). Make sense??

Thanks for the lengthy reply. Yes, this makes sense and I'll give it a try.
+Quote Post
nine9three
post Mar 10 2015, 01:10 PM
Post #6

Can anyone confirm what a complete turn of a Turbo tie rod nets you in terms of (inches) or degrees? I found in Ray Scrugg's outline that one full turn nets 1/8". Is this correct?
+Quote Post
wndsrfr
post Mar 10 2015, 07:21 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 10,318
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Hmmmmm........grab your caliper and measure the pitch of the threads, or if you don't have a caliper, measure off one inch and count the threads & divide to get the pitch.
Then, multiply the pitch in inches times the ratio of the radius of the wheel to the length of the steering arm ....make sense?
Even so, I'd still measure it off with the strings to confirm the resulting final toe.....
+Quote Post
76-914
post Mar 10 2015, 09:47 PM
Post #8

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

Great info John. Do a write up and include the rear procedure too, pls.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 07:37 PM