Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> PDI in Black Diamond WA?, Anybody in WA looked at this already?
Tbrown4x4
post Mar 12 2015, 05:17 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,338
Region Association: None

Has anyone looked at this yet? Or is able to meet me there and look it over?

http://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/cto/4925509773.html

I was sent some detailed pictures, and it has battery tray problems and paint bubbling along the bottom of the sail panels. No pics of the longs or floors. It would certainly be a driver before my other '71.

Any advice appreciated. I'm a more educated buyer than when I bought my first 914 ( and got screwed!), but I'd still like a veteran to come along.

Todd
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
rgalla9146
post Mar 12 2015, 05:45 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,176

Please note;
1971 4 cyl. car (# 0533) has a square rear bumper (if orig!) good information point for documentation and originality peeps.

+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Mar 12 2015, 06:49 PM
Post #3

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

If I can get $5000 for a 901 transmission, I'm gonna be rich! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Mar 12 2015, 07:42 PM
Post #4

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Prob too much $( to me). You were sent the wrong pictures. Bat tray usually means deeper problems around here. Why would the engine compartment be all wet? You don't need 2 projects. What is the story with car #1? Hope you didn't get taken too badly. You mentioned shipping out in the near future, yes? Don't be in such a hurry. Comb the classifieds here, club, pelican. Find YOUR car. Sail panel rust should be setting off alarms.
+Quote Post
Tbrown4x4
post Mar 12 2015, 08:02 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 17,338

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Mar 12 2015, 06:42 PM) *

Prob too much $( to me). You were sent the wrong pictures. Bat tray usually means deeper problems around here. Why would the engine compartment be all wet? You don't need 2 projects. What is the story with car #1? Hope you didn't get taken too badly. You mentioned shipping out in the near future, yes? Don't be in such a hurry. Comb the classifieds here, club, pelican. Find YOUR car. Sail panel rust should be setting off alarms.

Oh boy, where do I begin?

Yeah, 5k for trans? If he drove up to the transmission shop, handed them the keys and asked for a side shift conversion with all new parts, maybe I could see that. Still doesn't make the trans worth 5k.

I can't have 2 projects, but #1 will be on long term hold if even salvageable. I've been looking for more of a good tub to swap all my stuff onto, but I would prefer something road ready.
I paid $1000 for a 1971 last year and ignored all the red flags. Starter missing and (center mount) carb off the engine, incorrect engine code for the year. Turns out it was a 76 van engine. Lots of visible rot. The longs on both sides packed with bond and painted over. All in all, a very ignorant purchase. But it took very little to get it running well.

Being a mechanic, I would still love to restore this over time, while driving something else. My Camry has 477,000 miles on it and will not last forever.

Anyway, my budget looks like about $8000 and I was thinking the Black Diamond car might be worth $7500? I passed on this last time he advertised it, but it is tempting.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Mar 12 2015, 08:17 PM
Post #6

If you can come away with some good parts on the $1k car you actually did ok for a first rookie buy. No offense intended. There's something going on on the dr side at the front hood and the headlight cover with the white car. Ask the guy to remove the rocker covers for you and send you some detailed pictures.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Mar 12 2015, 08:59 PM
Post #7

pm sent.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 06:27 PM