Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: PDI in Black Diamond WA?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tbrown4x4
Has anyone looked at this yet? Or is able to meet me there and look it over?

http://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/cto/4925509773.html

I was sent some detailed pictures, and it has battery tray problems and paint bubbling along the bottom of the sail panels. No pics of the longs or floors. It would certainly be a driver before my other '71.

Any advice appreciated. I'm a more educated buyer than when I bought my first 914 ( and got screwed!), but I'd still like a veteran to come along.

Todd
rgalla9146
Please note;
1971 4 cyl. car (# 0533) has a square rear bumper (if orig!) good information point for documentation and originality peeps.

Mike Bellis
If I can get $5000 for a 901 transmission, I'm gonna be rich! piratenanner.gif
rhodyguy
Prob too much $( to me). You were sent the wrong pictures. Bat tray usually means deeper problems around here. Why would the engine compartment be all wet? You don't need 2 projects. What is the story with car #1? Hope you didn't get taken too badly. You mentioned shipping out in the near future, yes? Don't be in such a hurry. Comb the classifieds here, club, pelican. Find YOUR car. Sail panel rust should be setting off alarms.
Tbrown4x4
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Mar 12 2015, 06:42 PM) *

Prob too much $( to me). You were sent the wrong pictures. Bat tray usually means deeper problems around here. Why would the engine compartment be all wet? You don't need 2 projects. What is the story with car #1? Hope you didn't get taken too badly. You mentioned shipping out in the near future, yes? Don't be in such a hurry. Comb the classifieds here, club, pelican. Find YOUR car. Sail panel rust should be setting off alarms.

Oh boy, where do I begin?

Yeah, 5k for trans? If he drove up to the transmission shop, handed them the keys and asked for a side shift conversion with all new parts, maybe I could see that. Still doesn't make the trans worth 5k.

I can't have 2 projects, but #1 will be on long term hold if even salvageable. I've been looking for more of a good tub to swap all my stuff onto, but I would prefer something road ready.
I paid $1000 for a 1971 last year and ignored all the red flags. Starter missing and (center mount) carb off the engine, incorrect engine code for the year. Turns out it was a 76 van engine. Lots of visible rot. The longs on both sides packed with bond and painted over. All in all, a very ignorant purchase. But it took very little to get it running well.

Being a mechanic, I would still love to restore this over time, while driving something else. My Camry has 477,000 miles on it and will not last forever.

Anyway, my budget looks like about $8000 and I was thinking the Black Diamond car might be worth $7500? I passed on this last time he advertised it, but it is tempting.
rhodyguy
If you can come away with some good parts on the $1k car you actually did ok for a first rookie buy. No offense intended. There's something going on on the dr side at the front hood and the headlight cover with the white car. Ask the guy to remove the rocker covers for you and send you some detailed pictures.
rhodyguy
pm sent.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.