Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Advice on Anti-Sway bar...., Looking for non-OEM.
BuddyV
post Mar 20 2015, 08:57 AM
Post #1

Robert

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,898
Region Association: Northern California

I am building a car that will have a 2056, riding on stock steel wheels, narrow body. I've never been a racer or Autocrosser.... mostly spirited driving the 3-4 times a month I get to take out my cars for a ride to work or taking the LOOOOOONG way to the hardware store.

I would like to get a front anti-sway bar. I bought a stock one for my other car, and I do like it... but they are getting harder to find in good condition. I am interested in a new model.

What's a good value out there that would give me the ride/performance quality in between a stocker and a full-out race-bred unit?

..... because I might try some lite AutoCross this year.... just for fun.

Looking forward to your suggestions, and hope they are member vendors.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Mar 20 2015, 09:28 AM
Post #2

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380

Tarret makes a very high quality bar with adjustability... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Mar 20 2015, 09:50 AM
Post #3

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121

Cheapest: Addco. Under-body type, not adjustable, less than ideal geometry. I wouldn't bother, personally.
Cheap: Weltmeister. The 19mm adjustable one should be perfectly adequate for your needs. If you were going on the track with any regularity, I'd suggest not using them, but for the street and some autoX they are fine.
More expensive: Tarrett. Higher quality, higher price. Three styles, retro-RSR (discrete adjustment), standard (sliding adjustment), and blade-arm (twist the blade for adjustment, can be done from in the cockpit if you set it up for that).

I can't seem to find Smart Racing Products sway bars any more. Those were evidently the next step up from Tarrett--I think.

Elephant Racing seems to carry the Tarrett ones.

Pelican shows the WM ones as not available, while Paragon shows the 19mm WM bar as available.

Whatever you do, don't use the "no gas tank removal required" installation kits. They're pretty horrible. Pull the tank and do the job correctly. If you can weld, it's a good idea to weld in the nut plates that go around the through-body holes.

--DD
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Mar 20 2015, 10:51 AM
Post #4

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Mar 20 2015, 08:28 AM) *
Tarret makes a very high quality bar with adjustability... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
siverson
post Mar 20 2015, 11:35 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 654
Region Association: Southern California

I agree and well worth the price upgrade from Weltmeister. I've replaced two Weltmeister bars with Tarrett.

-Steve

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 20 2015, 09:51 AM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Mar 20 2015, 08:28 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

+Quote Post
screenguy914
post Mar 20 2015, 12:13 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 10,540

Sway bars are but one element needed for good handling. It is also the one mod. that affects ride harshness the most. Don't overdo it with sway bars

Think sway bars, torsion bars, shocks, proper alignment and corner balancing as overall objectives. Suggest some research for the best combination of each of the above elements for your personal driving objectives/conditions.

Sherwood
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Mar 20 2015, 12:16 PM
Post #7

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Mar 20 2015, 06:50 AM) *

Cheapest: Addco. Under-body type, not adjustable, less than ideal geometry. I wouldn't bother, personally.
Cheap: Weltmeister. The 19mm adjustable one should be perfectly adequate for your needs. If you were going on the track with any regularity, I'd suggest not using them, but for the street and some autoX they are fine.
More expensive: Tarrett. Higher quality, higher price. Three styles, retro-RSR (discrete adjustment), standard (sliding adjustment), and blade-arm (twist the blade for adjustment, can be done from in the cockpit if you set it up for that).

I can't seem to find Smart Racing Products sway bars any more. Those were evidently the next step up from Tarrett--I think.

Elephant Racing seems to carry the Tarrett ones.

Pelican shows the WM ones as not available, while Paragon shows the 19mm WM bar as available.

Whatever you do, don't use the "no gas tank removal required" installation kits. They're pretty horrible. Pull the tank and do the job correctly. If you can weld, it's a good idea to weld in the nut plates that go around the through-body holes.

--DD

If Elephant Racing is carrying Tarret, the OP can pick it up. They're located in San Jose...
+Quote Post
BuddyV
post Mar 20 2015, 02:05 PM
Post #8

Robert

Member No.: 3,898

Yes, Elephant carries the Tarret.... and I can pick up in person.

Thank you all!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)
+Quote Post
Jeff Hail
post Mar 20 2015, 10:28 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 7,712

Ira Ramin (Tarett) makes most of the above mentioned products except A & W.
Notice similarity in design. Many option to choose from (solid, hollow, retro).

Ira is a stand up guy, eats and breathes Porsche.

Everyone is marketing everyones products, its a small world.

+Quote Post
infraredcalvin
post Mar 21 2015, 03:31 AM
Post #10

Distracted Member

Member No.: 9,463

GPR had advertised a tarrett style (I assume it was a tarrett) in dark grey anodized and smaller bar. Maybe a group buy is in order???
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
toadman
post Mar 21 2015, 12:11 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 5,316

QUOTE(screenguy914 @ Mar 20 2015, 10:13 AM) *

Sway bars are but one element needed for good handling. It is also the one mod. that affects ride harshness the most. Don't overdo it with sway bars

Think sway bars, torsion bars, shocks, proper alignment and corner balancing as overall objectives. Suggest some research for the best combination of each of the above elements for your personal driving objectives/conditions.

Sherwood

I agree with Sherwood. My car came to me with red Koni shocks and 140# springs on the rear and no sway bars. I added a sway bar and orange Koni Sport shocks on the front. When I am back on the road I will get a corner balance and proper alignment for autocross and the occasional drivers education event.
+Quote Post
Woody
post Mar 21 2015, 03:55 PM
Post #12

Sandbox Rabblerouser and head toilet scrubber

Member No.: 12,530
Region Association: Southwest Region

Don't forget about this one. Chris at Tangerine sells this bar setup and it looks top notch. Very nice price too.

http://tangerineracing.com/antiswaybars.htm
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th May 2024 - 08:15 PM