Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Advice on Anti-Sway bar....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BuddyV
I am building a car that will have a 2056, riding on stock steel wheels, narrow body. I've never been a racer or Autocrosser.... mostly spirited driving the 3-4 times a month I get to take out my cars for a ride to work or taking the LOOOOOONG way to the hardware store.

I would like to get a front anti-sway bar. I bought a stock one for my other car, and I do like it... but they are getting harder to find in good condition. I am interested in a new model.

What's a good value out there that would give me the ride/performance quality in between a stocker and a full-out race-bred unit?

..... because I might try some lite AutoCross this year.... just for fun.

Looking forward to your suggestions, and hope they are member vendors.

ConeDodger
Tarret makes a very high quality bar with adjustability... driving.gif
Dave_Darling
Cheapest: Addco. Under-body type, not adjustable, less than ideal geometry. I wouldn't bother, personally.
Cheap: Weltmeister. The 19mm adjustable one should be perfectly adequate for your needs. If you were going on the track with any regularity, I'd suggest not using them, but for the street and some autoX they are fine.
More expensive: Tarrett. Higher quality, higher price. Three styles, retro-RSR (discrete adjustment), standard (sliding adjustment), and blade-arm (twist the blade for adjustment, can be done from in the cockpit if you set it up for that).

I can't seem to find Smart Racing Products sway bars any more. Those were evidently the next step up from Tarrett--I think.

Elephant Racing seems to carry the Tarrett ones.

Pelican shows the WM ones as not available, while Paragon shows the 19mm WM bar as available.

Whatever you do, don't use the "no gas tank removal required" installation kits. They're pretty horrible. Pull the tank and do the job correctly. If you can weld, it's a good idea to weld in the nut plates that go around the through-body holes.

--DD
SirAndy
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Mar 20 2015, 08:28 AM) *

agree.gif
siverson
I agree and well worth the price upgrade from Weltmeister. I've replaced two Weltmeister bars with Tarrett.

-Steve

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 20 2015, 09:51 AM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Mar 20 2015, 08:28 AM) *

agree.gif

screenguy914
Sway bars are but one element needed for good handling. It is also the one mod. that affects ride harshness the most. Don't overdo it with sway bars

Think sway bars, torsion bars, shocks, proper alignment and corner balancing as overall objectives. Suggest some research for the best combination of each of the above elements for your personal driving objectives/conditions.

Sherwood
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Mar 20 2015, 06:50 AM) *

Cheapest: Addco. Under-body type, not adjustable, less than ideal geometry. I wouldn't bother, personally.
Cheap: Weltmeister. The 19mm adjustable one should be perfectly adequate for your needs. If you were going on the track with any regularity, I'd suggest not using them, but for the street and some autoX they are fine.
More expensive: Tarrett. Higher quality, higher price. Three styles, retro-RSR (discrete adjustment), standard (sliding adjustment), and blade-arm (twist the blade for adjustment, can be done from in the cockpit if you set it up for that).

I can't seem to find Smart Racing Products sway bars any more. Those were evidently the next step up from Tarrett--I think.

Elephant Racing seems to carry the Tarrett ones.

Pelican shows the WM ones as not available, while Paragon shows the 19mm WM bar as available.

Whatever you do, don't use the "no gas tank removal required" installation kits. They're pretty horrible. Pull the tank and do the job correctly. If you can weld, it's a good idea to weld in the nut plates that go around the through-body holes.

--DD

If Elephant Racing is carrying Tarret, the OP can pick it up. They're located in San Jose...
BuddyV
Yes, Elephant carries the Tarret.... and I can pick up in person.

Thank you all!

pray.gif
Jeff Hail
Ira Ramin (Tarett) makes most of the above mentioned products except A & W.
Notice similarity in design. Many option to choose from (solid, hollow, retro).

Ira is a stand up guy, eats and breathes Porsche.

Everyone is marketing everyones products, its a small world.

infraredcalvin
GPR had advertised a tarrett style (I assume it was a tarrett) in dark grey anodized and smaller bar. Maybe a group buy is in order???
toadman
QUOTE(screenguy914 @ Mar 20 2015, 10:13 AM) *

Sway bars are but one element needed for good handling. It is also the one mod. that affects ride harshness the most. Don't overdo it with sway bars

Think sway bars, torsion bars, shocks, proper alignment and corner balancing as overall objectives. Suggest some research for the best combination of each of the above elements for your personal driving objectives/conditions.

Sherwood

I agree with Sherwood. My car came to me with red Koni shocks and 140# springs on the rear and no sway bars. I added a sway bar and orange Koni Sport shocks on the front. When I am back on the road I will get a corner balance and proper alignment for autocross and the occasional drivers education event.
Woody
Don't forget about this one. Chris at Tangerine sells this bar setup and it looks top notch. Very nice price too.

http://tangerineracing.com/antiswaybars.htm
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.