Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> My Next Project is my 76, again
76-914
post Mar 22 2015, 08:49 AM
Post #1

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

So I guess my next project is sitting in my garage. I want to do another conversion but that isn't going to happen right now so I thought why not go back into my 76 and change a few things. It was 5 years ago and I didn't have a MIG or the experience but I felt comfortable working with glass + I wanted to get this thing on the road so I cut out the little rust area, treated it and EGlassed it. 5 times stronger than steel, 280F and impervious to batt acid. Although I feel this repair was better than a metal repair it is far from proper. I've been honing my welding skills and feel like it is time to bring Whitey back into the fold, so to speak.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Even the batt box was made to resist the acic. The straw is a drain which channeled the acid to the ground and away from the steel

Attached Image

Attached Image

And to properly repair these channels. About 4-5 small areas need attention. and I will have an excuse to purchase a metal shrink/stretch tool. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Attached Image

Attached Image

While in there I plan to R&R the windshield which is chipped and to re-install the OEM aluminum window trim. I liked the Cal look on my Ghia but not so much on Whitey. While doing all of this I suppose I shall seek out the reason for low compression on #3. Hoping for a TOH only but I'll need to do a leak down test first.
I believe I'll wait until after Rt66 & WCR before the (2nd) tear down begins. I have a bad habit of placing myself "under the gun" but this time I'll have no excuse to rush. I have a nice running 6 in Kugel so I will take my time and do it "by the book" this time. Be back in a couple on month's. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Mar 23 2015, 01:50 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) Yes! Can't wait for this one!
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Mar 24 2015, 09:12 AM
Post #3

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Mig welding with gas is pretty easy so go for it!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th May 2024 - 11:18 PM