Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My Next Project is my 76
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
76-914
So I guess my next project is sitting in my garage. I want to do another conversion but that isn't going to happen right now so I thought why not go back into my 76 and change a few things. It was 5 years ago and I didn't have a MIG or the experience but I felt comfortable working with glass + I wanted to get this thing on the road so I cut out the little rust area, treated it and EGlassed it. 5 times stronger than steel, 280F and impervious to batt acid. Although I feel this repair was better than a metal repair it is far from proper. I've been honing my welding skills and feel like it is time to bring Whitey back into the fold, so to speak.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Even the batt box was made to resist the acic. The straw is a drain which channeled the acid to the ground and away from the steel

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

And to properly repair these channels. About 4-5 small areas need attention. and I will have an excuse to purchase a metal shrink/stretch tool. biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

While in there I plan to R&R the windshield which is chipped and to re-install the OEM aluminum window trim. I liked the Cal look on my Ghia but not so much on Whitey. While doing all of this I suppose I shall seek out the reason for low compression on #3. Hoping for a TOH only but I'll need to do a leak down test first.
I believe I'll wait until after Rt66 & WCR before the (2nd) tear down begins. I have a bad habit of placing myself "under the gun" but this time I'll have no excuse to rush. I have a nice running 6 in Kugel so I will take my time and do it "by the book" this time. Be back in a couple on month's. beerchug.gif
Chris H.
popcorn[1].gif Yes! Can't wait for this one!
Bleyseng
Mig welding with gas is pretty easy so go for it!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.