Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> stereo?, what stereos are you guys using?
mgp4591
post Mar 30 2015, 12:13 AM
Post #21

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

QUOTE(iamchappy @ Mar 29 2015, 06:28 PM) *

Alpine cd mp3 player with 8" Quart subs driven by Alpine T220 amp, Alpine type R 5 1/4 door driven by head unit and 6.5 kick panel speakers driven by Alpine T240 amp.

Now that's a quality setup! Do the subs overwhelm you being at that height? And what depth are the enclosures behind those? Just being nosy... and a little jealous!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
saigon71
post Mar 30 2015, 06:06 AM
Post #22

Member No.: 10,428
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I didn't want anything too flashy and didn't want to install an amp or subwoofer, just wanted a decent system and MP3 capability.

I went with a 24Watt Blaupunkt head unit and 6 1/2 Polk Audio speakers (with morphs speaker pods) in the stock location. Bought the equipment from Crutchfield.

I really like the setup. Sound is fine for me, even with the top off.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
iamchappy
post Mar 30 2015, 07:06 AM
Post #23

It all happens so fast!

Member No.: 1,315
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Mar 30 2015, 01:13 AM) *

QUOTE(iamchappy @ Mar 29 2015, 06:28 PM) *

Alpine cd mp3 player with 8" Quart subs driven by Alpine T220 amp, Alpine type R 5 1/4 door driven by head unit and 6.5 kick panel speakers driven by Alpine T240 amp.

Now that's a quality setup! Do the subs overwhelm you being at that height? And what depth are the enclosures behind those? Just being nosy... and a little jealous!

No, with all the adjustability i have with the headunit with separate treble, bass, fader for door and kick panel speakers, and sudwoofer, easy to dial in the sound, to all the speakers, I could still play around with the amps crossovers and gain but works well enough. Like others have said if you have a loud car to begin with you really have to crank it up especially with the top off. Speaker enclosers are built into the firewall. Sub speakers are the sealed encloser type.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
RazorbackFan78
post Mar 30 2015, 07:38 AM
Post #24

3 different layers of paint helps protect if from rust

Member No.: 15,709
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(iamchappy @ Mar 29 2015, 07:28 PM) *

Chappy is that a fully-custom back pad behind the seats or did you modify an OE piece? Looks great! I'd like to hear more about it. I think two subs in the backpad hidden behind the seats is a no-brainer!!! Unfortunately, the PO of my car carved two ugly holes in the center of my back pad to make room for two 5.5" speakers. So I'm trying to decide whether or not to save it, or just go all out with something custom.
+Quote Post
RazorbackFan78
post Mar 30 2015, 07:39 AM
Post #25

3 different layers of paint helps protect if from rust

Member No.: 15,709
Region Association: South East States

Chappy is that a fully-custom back pad behind the seats or did you modify an OE piece? Looks great! I'd like to hear more about it. I think two subs in the backpad hidden behind the seats is a no-brainer!!! Unfortunately, the PO of my car carved two ugly holes in the center of my back pad to make room for two 5.5" speakers. So I'm trying to decide whether or not to save it, or just go all out with something custom.
+Quote Post
iamchappy
post Mar 30 2015, 08:07 AM
Post #26

It all happens so fast!

Member No.: 1,315

QUOTE(RazorbackFan78 @ Mar 30 2015, 08:39 AM) *

Just a stock backpad that was reupholstered in leather when i did the rest of the interior. Stock backpad sits pretty flush with the firewall i have a thick foam gasket between the back of the speaker - backpad, and the speaker is then screwed into a 1/2" wide ring that i fabricated into the inside lip of the encloser. The enclosers are simply stainless steel mixing bowls tack welded to the firewall and seam sealed. There is plenty of room to go with even a larger sub and they dont interfere with anything in the engine compartment as you can see. I am having a hard time locating the pictures i have of the speaker encloser from the inside without the backpad. Another shot of a sub from another car i had installed subs in this way.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
max72914
post Mar 30 2015, 10:24 AM
Post #27

Member No.: 18,447
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(iamchappy @ Mar 29 2015, 05:28 PM) *

Thats really nice! I might try and buy a center console, and put speakers into the sides and a receiver where on of the gauges would be. I dont have the speaker panels that you screw in, so the old stock ones are sitting there. I may just build a box. Not sure yet
+Quote Post
914nola
post Mar 30 2015, 01:09 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 17,759
Region Association: None

I'm still running the am, fm, shortwave radio the car came with.
+Quote Post
JmuRiz
post Mar 30 2015, 01:17 PM
Post #29

914 Guru

Member No.: 50

I currently have an old CD head unit, 4x6 Infinity Kappas in the stock location, build a custom console between the seats with up-firing 3.5". Works pretty well (when I rarely turn it on). I bought a hidden unit and planned on using it along with some 6.5" speaker pods.

I've changed my preferences and have an old Becker Europa II stereo headunit that I will send for rebuilding an an i-pod hookup. I haven't decided on keeping the stock speaker grills or doing the 6.5" ones I've had for years.

Hopefully I'll decide in the next couple years and have a good review.
+Quote Post
arsprod
post Jun 1 2015, 12:03 PM
Post #30

Member No.: 18,519

Don't wanna be a zombie but anyone have problems with the depth of modern single din units?
+Quote Post
Amphicar770
post Jun 2 2015, 12:14 PM
Post #31

Member No.: 11,639

Becker Traffic Pro from a Boxter. Looks decent and gives me an outdated navigation system!

Attached Image
+Quote Post
howlndog
post Jun 2 2015, 12:55 PM
Post #32

Member No.: 12,680
Region Association: Canada

... just in case you want to go "all out"

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/build-...14-install.html
+Quote Post
arsprod
post Jun 2 2015, 12:58 PM
Post #33

Member No.: 18,519

QUOTE(howlndog @ Jun 2 2015, 02:55 PM) *

... just in case you want to go "all out"

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/build-...14-install.html

It's a PA system with a 914 carrier
+Quote Post
euro911
post Jun 2 2015, 01:43 PM
Post #34

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

Damn - that's way more than I need (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

I installed an Alpine AM/FM/CD player in the 'BB' several years ago. I don't remember what was in it when I acquired it. It already had a set of 6" Pioneer speakers in the doors, and I recently replaced the empty OEM speaker pods with a set of Morph speaker pods with Blaupunkt 6" speakers. Wired them in parallel and it's plenty loud (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I understand it's OLD as far as today's technology goes, but I have a lot of CDs - might as well get my money's worth out of them (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Amphicar770
post Sep 19 2015, 08:36 PM
Post #35

Member No.: 11,639

For those considering the Posrche / Becker TraifficPro GPS unit.

The one challenge is that you need to have a speed pulse sending unit of some sort for the GPS to work. It has to have the signal for initial calibration or it will just keep sending an error message.

The best / easiest approach I have seen is to use the JVC KV-PG1 speed sender. Unfortunately they are out of production and very hard to find. However, right now someone has several of them on evilbay for $20 with shipping. I just picked up two just to have for other older vehicles. I think I paid $75 for the one in my 914 after searching for months.

I have no affiliation with seller, just passing on the info. If you are even thinking about the Traffic Pro, I suggest grabbing one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JVC-KV-PG1-Speed-P...=item25addf94ef
+Quote Post
jack20
post Sep 20 2015, 12:03 PM
Post #36

Member No.: 18,099
Region Association: Northern California

I'm just finishing the installation of my stereo. While it can't nearly compare with the other posts, I'm happy with the way it came out.
My head unit is a '74 vintage Blaupunkt AM/FM stereo with push buttons and input/output jacks on the rear. On eBay I found a "Kip" input harness made for iPod and plugged it into the input. From the same company I bought another harness for the output to an amp. I found an old ADS four channel amp on eBay and mounted it in the center console.
For the speakers, I bridged the 3rd and 4th channels and am running a pioneer sub in the footwell box I bought from a member vendor. I modified the box so it is completely flush and hidden under the carpet. The fronts are pioneers to be mounted in Mikey914 units that accept round speakers. Currently in the doors,which were cut by a PO. Finally I'm running a Power Acoustik PWM 19 equalizer with sub output which is discretely mounted under the dash on the driver side.
I listen to playlists on my iPod and it sounds great at any speed with the top off. Even my wife raved about it and she is non-plussed by this stuff.
Best of all, other than the speaker pods, it looks 100% stock and didn't cost a ton.
Attached Image
+Quote Post
mankowski
post Sep 20 2015, 03:51 PM
Post #37

Member No.: 11,335
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I have a Kenwood KDC-7003 AM/FM CD that came with the car when I bought it. What I like about it is that the color of the display can be toggled between green and this shade of orange that matches my Tangerine (L21E) paint nearly perfectlyAttached ImageAttached Image!
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Sep 20 2015, 08:54 PM
Post #38

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

CDR 220 from a Boxster.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Tburt52359
post Sep 20 2015, 09:13 PM
Post #39

Member No.: 18,756
Region Association: Southern California

Unfortunately holes were cut in my door panels for speakers, does anyone have any recommendations for qualities speakers to place in the door panels? Thx
+Quote Post
jack20
post Sep 21 2015, 11:05 AM
Post #40

Member No.: 18,099
Region Association: Northern California

The choices are endless but you want to match your speakers with what's driving them. I used Pioneer TS-D1702R which matched up well with the output of my amp. Bought them on Amazon for about $75. They sound great and look discreet.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th May 2024 - 04:28 PM