Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> What's wrong with this?
CptTripps
post Feb 14 2005, 10:57 PM
Post #1

:: Punch and Pie ::

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,342
Region Association: Upper MidWest

While searching for a 6-cyl, this popped up...10 day auction, and there are less than 4 left...with no bids?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...&item=795336269

Am I missing something, or is this a decent deal?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 6)
Mueller
post Feb 14 2005, 11:07 PM
Post #2

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

read the description......from what they are telling your (or not), it's worth about $400...and that might be too much...
+Quote Post
John
post Feb 14 2005, 11:18 PM
Post #3

member? what's a member?

Member No.: 1,615

I wouldn't give $100 for that.

I know those guys.
+Quote Post
skline
post Feb 14 2005, 11:37 PM
Post #4

Born to Drive

Member No.: 17
Region Association: Southern California

I have to agree also, it is a core motor which makes that a little high.
+Quote Post
CptTripps
post Feb 15 2005, 05:30 AM
Post #5

Thanks for the advise. Is there a GOOD source for a 'starting point' for my 6er conversion next year? I'm in NO rush so I've got time....looking for a deal.
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Feb 15 2005, 07:52 AM
Post #6

rich herzog

Member No.: 513

QUOTE (CptTripps @ Feb 15 2005, 06:30 AM)
Is there a GOOD source for a 'starting point' for my 6er conversion next year?

yes.

buy the engine LAST.

we see this all the time... guys put out $5-$10k on an engine and think they're almost done. then it sits in the corner, unloved, rusting, taking up room, a mocking reminder of why you don't have money to buy the rest of the parts you need. 3-4 years down the road you'll either have a completed conversion with bad rings due to corrosion or you'll be trying to recover your "investment" on an engine that last ran 5 years before.

do the 5-lug, uprate the brakes, do the paint & bodywork & flares and whatever, buy and mount the oil tank and the front oil cooler if you'll need it. all that stuff will be easier with the engine out of the way anyway.

then - when the project is nearing its end, and you've been saving your nickels and dimes even as the work progresses, you'll be on the lookout for engines, and you'll have the cash in hand to jump on a hot deal.

just this week on the 911 list was a guy selling an uprated 2,2 and another guy parting out 3,2 from a car with minor but extensive collision damage. fresh, running engines come up all the time, and the last thing you want to do is let one sit.

alternatively - buy a core engine that's approximately what you want, and contract for a "time available" reduced cost rebuild from a competent shop, or learn to rebuild one yourself (i recommend Bruce Anderson/Jerry Woods' class, but lotsa guys manage without...) you shuld have a copy of Anderson's book and Pelican Wayne's rebuild book anyway...
+Quote Post
CptTripps
post Feb 15 2005, 09:34 AM
Post #7

QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ Feb 15 2005, 08:52 AM)
buy the engine LAST.

we see this all the time... guys put out $5-$10k on an engine and think they're almost done. then it sits in the corner, unloved, rusting, taking up room, a mocking reminder of why you don't have money to buy the rest of the parts you need. 3-4 years down the road you'll either have a completed conversion with bad rings due to corrosion or you'll be trying to recover your "investment" on an engine that last ran 5 years before.

do the 5-lug, uprate the brakes, do the paint & bodywork & flares and whatever, buy and mount the oil tank and the front oil cooler if you'll need it. all that stuff will be easier with the engine out of the way anyway.

then - when the project is nearing its end, and you've been saving your nickels and dimes even as the work progresses, you'll be on the lookout for engines, and you'll have the cash in hand to jump on a hot deal.

just this week on the 911 list was a guy selling an uprated 2,2 and another guy parting out 3,2 from a car with minor but extensive collision damage. fresh, running engines come up all the time, and the last thing you want to do is let one sit.

alternatively - buy a core engine that's approximately what you want, and contract for a "time available" reduced cost rebuild from a competent shop, or learn to rebuild one yourself (i recommend Bruce Anderson/Jerry Woods' class, but lotsa guys manage without...) you shuld have a copy of Anderson's book and Pelican Wayne's rebuild book anyway...

That's some of the most solid advice that I've gotten recently. I guess I've never really thought about it that way. Outstanding plan.

I think I'm going to start a 'collection' kinda like I've been doing with interior parts for my 2.0 right now.

I'll start on the 'parts' then find the right chassis to put it all in, THEN get the engine...

Thanks again...great advise.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 04:20 AM