Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What's wrong with this?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
CptTripps
While searching for a 6-cyl, this popped up...10 day auction, and there are less than 4 left...with no bids?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...&item=795336269

Am I missing something, or is this a decent deal?
Mueller
read the description......from what they are telling your (or not), it's worth about $400...and that might be too much...
John
I wouldn't give $100 for that.

I know those guys.
skline
I have to agree also, it is a core motor which makes that a little high.
CptTripps
Thanks for the advise. Is there a GOOD source for a 'starting point' for my 6er conversion next year? I'm in NO rush so I've got time....looking for a deal.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (CptTripps @ Feb 15 2005, 06:30 AM)
Is there a GOOD source for a 'starting point' for my 6er conversion next year?

yes.

buy the engine LAST.

we see this all the time... guys put out $5-$10k on an engine and think they're almost done. then it sits in the corner, unloved, rusting, taking up room, a mocking reminder of why you don't have money to buy the rest of the parts you need. 3-4 years down the road you'll either have a completed conversion with bad rings due to corrosion or you'll be trying to recover your "investment" on an engine that last ran 5 years before.

do the 5-lug, uprate the brakes, do the paint & bodywork & flares and whatever, buy and mount the oil tank and the front oil cooler if you'll need it. all that stuff will be easier with the engine out of the way anyway.

then - when the project is nearing its end, and you've been saving your nickels and dimes even as the work progresses, you'll be on the lookout for engines, and you'll have the cash in hand to jump on a hot deal.

just this week on the 911 list was a guy selling an uprated 2,2 and another guy parting out 3,2 from a car with minor but extensive collision damage. fresh, running engines come up all the time, and the last thing you want to do is let one sit.

alternatively - buy a core engine that's approximately what you want, and contract for a "time available" reduced cost rebuild from a competent shop, or learn to rebuild one yourself (i recommend Bruce Anderson/Jerry Woods' class, but lotsa guys manage without...) you shuld have a copy of Anderson's book and Pelican Wayne's rebuild book anyway...
CptTripps
QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ Feb 15 2005, 08:52 AM)
buy the engine LAST.

we see this all the time... guys put out $5-$10k on an engine and think they're almost done. then it sits in the corner, unloved, rusting, taking up room, a mocking reminder of why you don't have money to buy the rest of the parts you need. 3-4 years down the road you'll either have a completed conversion with bad rings due to corrosion or you'll be trying to recover your "investment" on an engine that last ran 5 years before.

do the 5-lug, uprate the brakes, do the paint & bodywork & flares and whatever, buy and mount the oil tank and the front oil cooler if you'll need it. all that stuff will be easier with the engine out of the way anyway.

then - when the project is nearing its end, and you've been saving your nickels and dimes even as the work progresses, you'll be on the lookout for engines, and you'll have the cash in hand to jump on a hot deal.

just this week on the 911 list was a guy selling an uprated 2,2 and another guy parting out 3,2 from a car with minor but extensive collision damage. fresh, running engines come up all the time, and the last thing you want to do is let one sit.

alternatively - buy a core engine that's approximately what you want, and contract for a "time available" reduced cost rebuild from a competent shop, or learn to rebuild one yourself (i recommend Bruce Anderson/Jerry Woods' class, but lotsa guys manage without...) you shuld have a copy of Anderson's book and Pelican Wayne's rebuild book anyway...

That's some of the most solid advice that I've gotten recently. I guess I've never really thought about it that way. Outstanding plan.

I think I'm going to start a 'collection' kinda like I've been doing with interior parts for my 2.0 right now.

I'll start on the 'parts' then find the right chassis to put it all in, THEN get the engine...

Thanks again...great advise.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.